Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
hannesmenzel
Human being with feelings

Default Creating breaks in loops / updating multiple MIDI items

Dear community,

I am searching for a solution for having same MIDI items for different parts of a song. First, I'm more in the acoustic/folk world rather than in EDM, which might be important for my solution.

Let's say, I have a song which has choruses and verses for which I'd like to create MIDI drum loops suitable for these parts, using virtual drum instruments. When I record things I tend to loop a drum pattern on full songs length. What I try to achieve is to insert the verses drum pattern on verse 1 and the choruses drum pattern on chorus one and then expanding that loop onto the other parts of the song. If I simply copy the patterns, they wouldn't update, if I edit one. So, the goal would be, that chorus 3 would change, if I'd edit chorus one.

If there's no function to solve that, I would be very greatful for suitable workarounds. What I thought about is having different MIDI subfolders sending to the VI and muting the parts that don't fit. But I find that a bit difficult. Maybe this free item positioning feature can help, but I don't know.

And, because it fits into that topic: How to you create drum parts including breaks and intros/outros in Reaper, if you want to have something like a looped standard song rhythm? Would be appreciate good ideas here as well.

--EDIT: So, to round things up, i'm searching for a solution building drum arrangements, which has one or two standard patterns, looped over the complete song and inserting fills and pattern modifications without breaking the loops in order to being able to alter the standard pattern for the whole song in one step.

Kind regards,
Johannes

Last edited by hannesmenzel; 07-16-2018 at 07:00 AM.
hannesmenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello hannesmenzel and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Have a look at "pooled" items in the User Guide.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
hannesmenzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Hello hannesmenzel and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Have a look at "pooled" items in the User Guide.
Thanks, DarkStar,

thanks for these Resources! Meanwhile I think I watched half of Kenny's tutorials and found, that these videos existing could be just one single reason to chose Reaper as DAW. I'm using Reaper for a year now, but I must confess that I made a huge bow around the Media Pool. So thanks, this should be the keyword.

Kind regards,
Johannes
hannesmenzel is offline   Reply With Quote