Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Veech
Human being with feelings

Default Opening and editing .wav file in Reaper 4

In Reaper v3.xx I could open a .wav file and edit it by double-clicking on the track. It would open in Audition 3 and I could edit it as needed.

This doesn't work in v4, how do I select a track in Reaper 4 so it opens in Audition?

Sidebar question -- I use Audition for only a handful of things: change pitch, change tempo, fade-in, fade-out, cut-copy-and-paste, save parts of .wav file to new wave file, fairly simple stuff. Does Reaper 4 do all of these things as well as or better than Adobe Audition? I would love to abandon AA and do all of my editing in Reaper.

thanks...
Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Nick Morris

so abandon it, and do it all in reaper.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Nick Morris

and yes it does all of these things
Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Veech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
and yes it does all of these things
ahh, but does it do them as well as AA?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Nick Morris

as well if not better
Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
alanofoz

Ctrl+Alt+E
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Johnnny-5

@Veech, I don't believe Reaper has a built in wav editor. you must have had Reaper 3.X setup to open AA.. It's in (Options > Preferences) and the very last item is where you setup Reaper to open a wave file in the wave editor
of your choice... Also I don't know anything about AA BUT I have Sony Sound Forge setup to open wave file on double click or a right click (will pop up a menu) and you can select open wav in audio editor.. yes Ctrl+Alt+E will do the same.. Reaper can do alot of this but not quite as robust as a true wave editor such as AA and Sound Forge.. Hope this helps.. :-)
-J-

Last edited by Johnnny-5; 08-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Johnnny-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Veech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny-5 View Post
@Veech, I don't believe Reaper has a built in wav editor. you must have had Reaper 3.X setup to open AA.. It's in (Options > Preferences) and the very last item is where you setup Reaper to open a wave file in the wave editor
of your choice... Also I don't know anything about AA BUT I have Sony Sound Forge setup to open wave file on double click or a right click (will pop up a menu) and you can select open wav in audio editor.. yes Ctrl+Alt+E will do the same.. Reaper can do alot of this but not quite as robust as a true wave editor such as AA and Sound Forge.. Hope this helps.. :-)
-J-
I don't recall setting v3.x to open AA, I think it must have done so by finding my XP default setting. I will play around with Reaper's .wav editing function, maybe it'll be good enough for my needs.

Thanks for your response!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veech View Post
I don't recall setting v3.x to open AA, I think it must have done so by finding my XP default setting. I will play around with Reaper's .wav editing function, maybe it'll be good enough for my needs.

Thanks for your response!
If you were fine using audition before (however it ended up being your editor) why not just set it up again, it's just a few simple clicks my friend.

OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > EXTERNAL EDITORS (scroll to bottom to find this) > ADD > Use browse button to locate your audition .exe in program files > OK

That's it. Now to open audio item in audition (or whatever external editor you wish) there are 2 ways (and yes they are different from reaper 3.x). You can either [CTRL/ALT/E] which I do not recommend as it doesn't give an option to open a copy (found this out just recently myself oops) or right click the audio item, select "open items in editor" and choose "open item copies in audition" ... ofc you can open the original in there as well if you wish.

You know the rest... edit, then save and your audio item appears back in the project.

HTH
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Veech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsner View Post
If you were fine using audition before (however it ended up being your editor) why not just set it up again, it's just a few simple clicks my friend.

OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > EXTERNAL EDITORS (scroll to bottom to find this) > ADD > Use browse button to locate your audition .exe in program files > OK

That's it. Now to open audio item in audition (or whatever external editor you wish) there are 2 ways (and yes they are different from reaper 3.x). You can either [CTRL/ALT/E] which I do not recommend as it doesn't give an option to open a copy (found this out just recently myself oops) or right click the audio item, select "open items in editor" and choose "open item copies in audition" ... ofc you can open the original in there as well if you wish.

You know the rest... edit, then save and your audio item appears back in the project.

HTH
That helps a lot, thank you. As good as AA is, I don't like it nearly as much as Reaper. AA is a resource hog and is unstable. It will lock up and crash after 30 - 40 minutes which of course is very irritating. Reaper has never crashed on me, it is so streamlined and efficient. I would love to say goodbye to AA but it is very robust and does a lot of things really well. I just wish it were more stable.

I think it will depend on the quality of pitch and tempo shifting in Reaper vs AA. If it is acceptable, then I'll put AA on the shelf. If not, then I'll follow your steps to use AA as my default wave file editor.

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
bilsner

I'm fairly new to reaper and I am using an external editor to transpose audio by semitones as I can't find a way to do it reaper without it stretching to retain the original tempo... unless I do it by alt dragging the item in the arrange window. This will produce a pitch shift with no stretching (if you deselect the stretch to tempo in item properties but it's not exact so fairly useless if I want to transpose a clip by a set amount of semitones. Frustratingly, the numeric option in item properties still stretches the audio even with the stretch option deselected. I could probably do without the external editor if there was a way to shift audio clips by set musical amounts without the stretch.

If you know a way, let me know please *hope*
Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsner View Post
I can't find a way to do it reaper without it stretching to retain the original tempo...
shift+9 & shift+0 are the default keys I think, otherwise go in
Actions > Action List, find actions "pitch item up (down) one semitone"
and remap it to your favorite keyboard shortcut.

e
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
shift+9 & shift+0 are the default keys I think, otherwise go in

e
I'm afraid that doesn't work.... you change the pitch but the audio stays exactly the same length and so must be stretching/compressing
Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
xpander

Change the pitch of an item, and let it stretch?
If you have not changed your shortcut keys;
Shift + 5 steps up in semitones
Shift + 4 steps down in semitones

Not working from the numpad, btw.

Or do like EricM suggested and go to Actions list, run the actions from there or set them up how you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Change the pitch of an item, and let it stretch?
If you have not changed your shortcut keys;
Shift + 5 steps up in semitones
Shift + 4 steps down in semitones

Not working from the numpad, btw.

Or do like EricM suggested and go to Actions list, run the actions from there or set them up how you'd like.
yeah thx I have found it altho it's 5 and 6 not 4 and 5
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
xpander

Whoops sorry, right you are, shift + 5 & 6 it is for the semitones. Now who messed my defaults...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #17
ChickenPie4tea

I've never found an editor that cleans out background noise better than Audition. I keep it for that alone. I have even tried Ozone and it wasnt as good as the built in adobe tool.
ChickenPie4tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
avalonandon

Thanks for the Audition help!! I have been making the switch to Reaper, and this finalizes it!! Audition 3 is a fantastic editor and I have been using it since 2003. Had to give it up because of glitches with handling video and midi.

Reaper is king.
avalonandon is offline   Reply With Quote