Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 04-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #161
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm really pushing hard on this now that I've got a live performance laptop to test with. I can get everything working great with a MOTU, but I really want to get it working well with lesser, regular grade drivers
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #162
mschnell
Human being with feelings

For Live playing, I use an NI Audio 6. Same is especially offered for this purpose (robust, low latency).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:06 AM   #163
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Trying to make a simple template using all free fx and putting amplitube in somehow messes up Midi Fade X on some tracks but not others...Ill be looking at the log to try and get to the bottom of it. Its doing the works every other time thing
Old 04-10-2018, 04:19 AM   #164
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Looking at the reacontrol midi log, every other time the troublesome track with amplitube on it is switched to, it gets no midi message. I onder if its to do with the 250ish sample delay amplitube adds
Old 04-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #165
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Alright, this is getting usable and shareable, until we can get a live forum, not sure where to put this

http://pipelineaudio.net/2018/04/12/...board-project/
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #166
mschnell

Great ! Thanks !

It would be great to find a permanent place for this within the realm of Reaper, so that I could update the the ReaPack "about:" description of the JSFXes and ReaScripts to contain a link.

It's really time to have a "Reaper live" forum installed, now that there are several content providers waiting for it, and lot's of appropriate questions of new users are found in many other forums.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #167
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I asked Justin again, you should send him a pm
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #168
pipelineaudio
Mortal

As good as this is working, there's still some clicks and pops I'd like to see dead. Even the basic SWS Live version is so damn close by itself
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #169
briandress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
As good as this is working, there's still some clicks and pops I'd like to see dead. Even the basic SWS Live version is so damn close by itself
hows it all workin for you? im trying now to figure out a good scheme for a table.

anyway to make the midi tble genertion built into the gui? that way someone wont make mistakes on making a table file?
briandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #170
briandress

Quote:
Its crazy how many possibilities there are.

It can be any sort of pedalboard, from patch style to stomp style to a hybrid like digitech could do
this sounds amazing. i am still trying to figure out how to use it. any hopes of a tutorial of sorts?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #171
briandress

made a sample text file from the one you posted Michael. I saved it in Program Files > Reaper > InstallData> Date >(made new folder)CC Table >switches.txt

midi CC table says no file
Old 04-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #172
briandress

sorted that out.

had to put it in C://users>brian>appdata>roaming>Reaper>Data

i wonder why it doesnt use the main reaper folder
Old 04-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #173
briandress

this is really fun to learn.

As an absolute beginner to midi and reaper and vst in general I think a live section in the forum would be very beneficial.

I have made it to having Midi CC table recognize the file that I have created. The issue now is learning how to have the codes that Midi CC Table sends out be learned to certain things. I was planning a simple test of turning vsts on and off and but realized I had no way to actually assign the code to the vst parameter. How would I go about doing that if I do not have a controller to actually fire that code...in this case 2:2=1
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #174
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandress View Post
anyway to make the midi tble genertion built into the gui?
That is how SWS LiveConfigs works: it comprises certain parts of a setup using MidiTable in a single component, but this obviously features certain some ambiguities and restrictions.

Doing a complex GUI with JSFX is not that easy to do. Maybe an independent program for managing the table file might be doable.

-Michael
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #175
mschnell

Quote:
i wonder why it doesnt use the main reaper folder
That is how the JSFX infrastructure works. Obviously allowing for multiple users on a system to have their own configuration directories.

-Michael
Old 04-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #176
mschnell

Quote:
... sends out be learned to certain things.
Beware that "learn Midi messages" has a certain meaning in Reaper and handling same was one of the motivations for the MidiTable JSFX.

Only Midi messages in the realm of the Reaper Control Path (instead of in the tracks) can be "learned". Having Midi Messages be received by plugins in tracks is something else.

LiveConfigs sends messages to the Control Path, and so they can be used to be learned, but can't be used by plugins (VST/JSFX) in tracks, but only by Reaper functionalities allowing "learning", And LiveConfigs can "lean" Midi messages· but not (directly) those that are present in tracks.

OTOH MidiTable completely resides in the realm of the tracks. So it's messages can be received by plugins (that are configured appropriately and where the messages are routed by standard Reaper means), but not be "learned". To have MidiTable messages be learned, you need to route them to the Control Path by the MidiToReaCointrolPath VST.

MidiTable messages can obviously directly be received by VSTs that provide receiving Midi to modify their behavior.

If you need to use them to modify "VST parameters" (technical term = VST states Reaper can store and re-establish), you e.g. can use ReaControlMidi (instantiated in the same Track's FX chain) to assign the CC to one of it's "CC sliders" and then use the plugin's parameter modulation menu to assign the parameter to the ReaMidiControl "Slider". Hence avoiding the Complexity of the "Reaper Control Path" (i.e. "learn") altogether.

But you do need the Raper Control Path when e.g. automating the muting of tracks by MidiTable (see "Mute unmute Track X").

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-16-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #177
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
this sounds amazing. i am still trying to figure out how to use it. any hopes of a tutorial of sorts?
I'd grab the one from my website, I can flesh it out more if people really start grabbing this stuff

Old 04-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #178
briandress

Quote:
I'd grab the one from my website, I can flesh it out more if people really start grabbing this stuff

i saw that. thanks for sharing. the difficulty for me is understanding how to implement the work.

I have the file made and Midi CC Table shows the graphic. I grasp the concept of writing the tables for activate vs deactivate messages. i understand about assigning one specifi Midi Channel to the predelay codes.

im trying right now to figure out how to actually assign codes to the vst controlls or the reaper unmute script things
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #179
briandress

Quote:

i cant really test your spillover stuff that patch is all full of bias fx
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #180
mschnell

Quote:
im trying right now to figure out how to actually assign codes to the vst controlls or the reaper unmute script things
I suppose by "codes" you mean "midi messages". What do you mean by "vst controlls" ? If that is something the dedicated VST you intend to use provides (e.g. shows in it's GUI) it is very possible, that that VST (by configuring same) allows to make that control follow Midi CC messages it directly receives. Other parameters (and/or these controls as well) of a VST might be accessible by "VST parameters" it directly communicates with Reaper via the "VST API". The "PARAM" menu offers the "Parameter Modulation / Midi Link" option for this. Here either direct access or (for more complex control) ReaMidiControl is a way to make use of those via MIDI.

Controlling Reaper internal stuff (such as track muting (or "learn") ) needs MidiToReaControlPath.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-17-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #181
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
i cant really test your spillover stuff that patch is all full of bias fx
I'll try and make an all freeware version tomorrow at work
Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #182
briandress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I suppose by "codes" you mean "midi messages". What do you mean by "vst controlls" ? If that is something the dedicated VST you intend to use provides (e.g. shows in it's GUI) it is very possible, that that VST (by configuring same) allows to make that control follow Midi CC messages it directly receives. Other parameters (and/or these controls as well) of a VST might be accessible by "VST parameters" it directly communicates with Reaper via the "VST API". The "PARAM" menu offers the "Parameter Modulation / Midi Link" option for this. Here either direct access or (for more complex control) ReaMidiControl is a way to make use of those via MIDI.

Controlling Reaper internal stuff (such as track muting (or "learn") ) needs MidiToReaControlPath.

-Michael
Ok I will have to learn how to actually do it, it makes sense to read it but to actually build the tracks and route everything properly is a different story lol
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #183
briandress

Quote:

-Michael
Ok so I have a track that has plugins midi cc table followed by reacontrolmidi.

My controller sends cc 21 values from the switches. So I set midi cc table "cc input" slider to 21

The table shows below the cc table sliders showing me the values that will be sent out

I have reacontrolmidi following midicctable with the log open to see what's coming through and it doesn't see anything coming
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #184
mschnell

Quote:
to actually build the tracks and route everything properly is a different story lol
Yep. The Reaper User Guide will help !

-Michael
Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #185
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Little sketchy things are still making this a bit tricky to make stuff to share for others as templates.

Often times Sws startup action won’t perform as expected, with no rhyme or reason, sometimes it works fine upon loading a new project and sometimes it doesn’t.

Clicks and pops. Even with midi fade x we can still get some of these....I suspect because of muting, Ive been ask8ng Justin if there’s a way to flush whatever is in a track after muting it, not sure if that can be done

A really frustrating one is Amplitube....it has so much to offer a setup like this, but nearly always prevents Sws startup action from running correctly. Worse, it has some sort of buffer of 7 or so samples (showing in the reaper fx window) that cause clicks and pops and other weirdness

Also Amplitube for some reason can’t respond to midi pc messages anymore. It’s an ongoing topic at the IK forums.

So much of my troubles stem from the fact that unused tracks have to be muted to save cpu (or more specifically, keep RT Longest Block time low enough. I wonder if I couldn’t just do mor with routing so that nothing ever needs to be muted
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #186
briandress

Quote:
Little sketchy things are still making this a bit tricky to make stuff to share for others as templates.

Often times Sws startup action won’t perform as expected, with no rhyme or reason, sometimes it works fine upon loading a new project and sometimes it doesn’t.

Clicks and pops. Even with midi fade x we can still get some of these....I suspect because of muting, Ive been ask8ng Justin if there’s a way to flush whatever is in a track after muting it, not sure if that can be done

A really frustrating one is Amplitube....it has so much to offer a setup like this, but nearly always prevents Sws startup action from running correctly. Worse, it has some sort of buffer of 7 or so samples (showing in the reaper fx window) that cause clicks and pops and other weirdness

Also Amplitube for some reason can’t respond to midi pc messages anymore. It’s an ongoing topic at the IK forums.

So much of my troubles stem from the fact that unused tracks have to be muted to save cpu (or more specifically, keep RT Longest Block time low enough. I wonder if I couldn’t just do mor with routing so that nothing ever needs to be muted
I was just thinking the same thing in regards to just having everything in one track. I'm using kazrog now so it would be no big thing to just have three different amps loaded and assign their bypass parameters to cc codes sent from midi cc table. I don't know how your wah deal would work but the CPU savings are there if you put a vst in bypass vs on a separate muted track right?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #187
briandress

My idea would be setting it up for one song I have in mind. This song could just be track 1. I could put two different distortion plugs, two different amp sims, two different nadir instances for cabs, two different reverb plugins etc and then have midi cc table just switch between the groups based the table right? I could still use live configs or cc table unmute/mute between songs. So I'd just have each song on its own track?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #188
larryJ

Default State Table Driven Actions

I did create a web interface for REAPER that I use for Theater that uses a state table to jump to numbered markers (for engagement of envelope settable settings) and to mute and unmute named tracks...all together based on a tab delimited state table that would be built in Excel. For details, see the REAPER tab on my web site ... www.WorkWebs.com You can download the HTML and other sample stuff from there.
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #189
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I was just thinking the same thing in regards to just having everything in one track. I'm using kazrog now so it would be no big thing to just have three different amps loaded and assign their bypass parameters to cc codes sent from midi cc table. I don't know how your wah deal would work but the CPU savings are there if you put a vst in bypass vs on a separate muted track right?
That would be a way that MIDI CC table could go HUGE

Some of these plugs have parallel paths so you could get two completely different chains that way, but some things, like parameter reset would still be weird
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #190
briandress

Quote:
That would be a way that MIDI CC table could go HUGE

Some of these plugs have parallel paths so you could get two completely different chains that way, but some things, like parameter reset would still be weird
What do you mean by parameter reset?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #191
pipelineaudio
Mortal

say its a patch that you could turn delays and choruses on and off. In some cases you'd like that stuff to be on when you returned to that patch and sometimes off.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #192
briandress

Quote:
say its a patch that you could turn delays and choruses on and off. In some cases you'd like that stuff to be on when you returned to that patch and sometimes off.
I think I can understand that but you could just have a specific setup for that. Because you can have multiple instances of midi cc table just one for each track right?

So on one track you can have your midi cc table to send out whatever config you need up to however many switches you have. you could set those effects to their own switch even if you want to for just that specific midi table. Or you could have a button that turns on all 4 or just 1 3 and 4. It's totally flexible depending on what you write into the table

In the next track you can have an entirely new midi cc table sheet for the plugins you need in that track. Then you just use tracks for your songs. You don't need to unmute anything really. Just get creative in how you bypass/unbypass your plugs
Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #193
briandress

My problem is that I don't know how to set the actual plugins to whatever is coming out of the cc table
Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #194
mschnell

Quote:
multiple instances of midi cc table just one for each track
I would not recommend using multiple instances of Midi CC Table.

Routing Midi streams between tracks is easily doable and very flexible with Reaper. Please see the Reaper User Guide.

-Michael
Old 04-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #195
mschnell

Quote:
My problem is that I don't know how to set the actual plugins to whatever is coming out of the cc table
This obviously depends on the Midi Features the "actual plugin" provides. (e.g. Kontakt can switch internal patches (instruments) by Midi Program Change Messages, and assign (internally "learn" by right-click) Midi CC messages to close to all Parameters of the instruments loaded in same. I understand the same is true for Effects (by Native Instruments) such as "Guitar Rick".)

-Michael
Old 04-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #196
briandress

Quote:
This obviously depends on the Midi Features the "actual plugin" provides. (e.g. Kontakt can switch internal patches (instruments) by Midi Program Change Messages, and assign (internally "learn" by right-click) Midi CC messages to close to all Parameters of the instruments loaded in same. I understand the same is true for Effects (by Native Instruments) such as "Guitar Rick".)

-Michael
ok so just doing a little digging I found the Link Parameter to Midi section on the plugins. I assigned all my plugins bypass parameter to a separate CC Here is my Midi Table

I have midi cc table input set to channel 1 CC 1 which is what my controller is sending. I have Amps Delay and Distortion bypasses set to CC 3 4 5 and 6 offset 0 and Scale 100% for each. I cant seem to get it working though. Any advice on where to start checking is appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: txt switches.txt (281 Bytes, 107 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #197
mschnell

Parameter link is only necessary if the plugin itself is not able to receive Midi to control the appropriate function.

Quote:
7:7=1 7:7=2 7:7=3 7:7=4 7:7=5 7:7=6 7:7=7 7:7=8
This does not seem to make much sense.

It will send multiple values to the same controller, right one after the other in a single shot within no time at all. Close to any receiver will only use the last value.

I don't get what are you trying to accomplish by that.

-Michael
Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #198
briandress

Quote:
Parameter link is only necessary if the plugin itself is not able to receive Midi to control the appropriate function.

This does not seem to make much sense.

It will send multiple values to the same controller, right one after the other in a single shot within no time at all. Close to any receiver will only use the last value.

I don't get what are you trying to accomplish by that.

-Michael
youre right. it does make no sense. I was just filling stuff in just to see if the plugin would detect the data in the text file and populate it in the plugin GUI.

I have attached a new one that is meant to manipulate 4 different plugins based on which switch I press either 1 or 2.

I have attached my reaper project here as well. maybe i messed it up.
Attached Files
File Type: txt switches.txt (281 Bytes, 105 views)
File Type: rpp midi test.rpp (11.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #199
briandress

i did get this working and it is working quite amazingly i might add.It is quite interesting having the ability to send out so many different combinations. I really need no muting at all. I can have 5 amp sims, 5 tube screamers, 5 impulse responses, 5 delays, all set up how i want for one switch. That switch will turn on its own configuration and when leaving will deactivte its config allowing the next switch to enable its config.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #200
briandress

so I got this to work and wow is this impressive. Holy cow.

I was able to take two amp sims and toggle between the two of them using bypass on and off. I was also able to take one amp sim and set up three different lines of the table to send out the codes to switch channels on the amp from clean to crunch to lead. so crazy. i can at the same time that I am switching the channels switch the amount of gain.