Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #241
LowlyOP
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
Wow, this plugin is an amazing time saver, headache reliever!

helgoboss,

Any chance you could add the ability to toggle on/off individual mappings via midi?

Thanks
Do you mean mappings as in your saved presets within ReaLearn, or mappings inside of Reaper-> Actions (or something else)?

I might be able to assist while waiting on helgo's response
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #242
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyOP View Post
Do you mean mappings as in your saved presets within ReaLearn, or mappings inside of Reaper-> Actions (or something else)?

I might be able to assist while waiting on helgo's response
Individual mappings within a single preset inside of ReaLearn.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #243
LowlyOP

Quote:
Individual mappings within a single preset inside of ReaLearn.
Oh, My mistake - I get what you mean now and I agree that would be good to have implemented.

Currently, my projects contain a single, "MIDI" Master Track with any number of ReaLearn instances slotted in, and I toggle them disabled/offline using some custom actions assignments paired with feedback-only specifically mapped preset.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #244
DarrenH

Hello and thank you for what is looking like a great tool!
It was working fine however I stumbled onto one (big) issue perhaps?

I just laid out many mappings, saved preset as a default, even exported the setup to a txt file to be safe.

When I added this to my FX chain, *it doesn't appear that FX mappings are named by FX* therefore if I pull the mappings into another chain, nothing applies to the correct FX.

So it seems as if this only works if you create all the mappings for a specific chain but never change it...am I crazy or is that correct?

Thank you!

Last edited by DarrenH; 09-10-2018 at 08:27 PM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:13 AM   #245
helgoboss

Quote:
Any chance you could add the ability to toggle on/off individual mappings via midi?

Thanks
I'm thinking what's the best approach to take for implementing such a feature. I could implement a target type "Enable/disable ReaLearn mapping" ... but then sooner or later someone would ask for a way to enable/disable multiple mappings at once or even more sophisticated things like "enable each mapping whose name starts with 'Volume'". I would like to find a generic/composable but still intuitive way to make this kind of things possible. If you have any suggestions, let me know. Until then, in this post I've written about the current alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
When I added this to my FX chain, *it doesn't appear that FX mappings are named by FX* therefore if I pull the mappings into another chain, nothing applies to the correct FX.

So it seems as if this only works if you create all the mappings for a specific chain but never change it...am I crazy or is that correct?

Thank you!
That's correct. You can consider this as a missing feature, something I want to add. For details see this answer.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #246
DarrenH

Thank you Benjamin, it's an incredibly easy to use tool, so will keep an eye out for that if it does eventually happen. Thanks for your reply, Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I'm thinking what's the best approach to take for implementing such a feature. I could implement a target type "Enable/disable ReaLearn mapping" ... but then sooner or later someone would ask for a way to enable/disable multiple mappings at once or even more sophisticated things like "enable each mapping whose name starts with 'Volume'". I would like to find a generic/composable but still intuitive way to make this kind of things possible. If you have any suggestions, let me know. Until then, in this post I've written about the current alternatives.

That's correct. You can consider this as a missing feature, something I want to add. For details see this answer.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #247
sonicowl

Getting some errors lately:

Faulting application name: reaper_host64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bb177ef
Faulting module name: ReaLearn.dll, version: 1.7.1.0, time stamp: 0x5b6ae08f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002e5c5b
Faulting process id: 0x2ce0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d45a9a2008eaa5
Faulting application path: D:\sound\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_host64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns\!Reaper\ReaLearn.dll
Report Id: 5d18f17d-21c8-4372-b30e-7849056a52b6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

and,

Faulting application name: reaper_host64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bb177ef
Faulting module name: ReaLearn.dll, version: 1.7.1.0, time stamp: 0x5b6ae08f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002e5c5b
Faulting process id: 0x2ce0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d45a9a2008eaa5
Faulting application path: D:\sound\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_host64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns\!Reaper\ReaLearn.dll
Report Id: 5d18f17d-21c8-4372-b30e-7849056a52b6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Reaper didn't crash (I run ReaLearn as dedicated process), but I see these in event viewer.

EDIT: Just noticed, if I run ReaLearn as Separate or as Dedicated process, it takes really long to load. With Native (Default) it loads instantly.

Last edited by sonicowl; 10-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #248
Granite

Default ReaLearn: Bug and workaround

Bug: Actions created by Cycle Action Editor lose their settings in ReaLearn on closing Reaper.

Workaround: Wrapping action in a Custom Action.

Absolutely awesome tool, my Launchkey Mini is now a Mini Mega Midi Powerhouse.
Hugely appreciated, thanks.
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #249
X-Raym

Default ReaLearn: MIDI Note to Action

Hi !

I was looking to link MIDI note to REAPER action and it seems ReaLearn can do that ! Cool !

Thing is that the search dropdown for action isn't very usable, as there is no search field, and we can't even enter first action letters cause they all start by a random number (not even command ID).

It would be nice if there was a filter by name or command ID, or at least a way to link to last triggered action.

Also question: what is this number ? Isn't there a chance to break if new scripts and custom action or even native action are added ?

--
Side question,
Could ReaLearn works on Monitor FX ?

--
Also, it would be nice to have version number of the plugin in the GUI.

Thanks !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:04 AM   #250
X-Raym

Hi

Another report:

there is UTF-8 characters enconding error in the action dropdown.

Thx !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #251
brummbear

Default ReLearn Feature request for MIDI feedback

Hi Ben,

Could you expose the "Send feedback now" button to the outside of ReaLearn, as a parameter that can be learned to a MIDI controller?

I have been using both ReaLearn and Playtime for years now - both awesome! One particularly nice features in ReLearn is the MIDI feedback function. This feature has been sorely missed in Reaper for so many years as demonstrated in the many forum threads around this topic. I use the MIDI feedback function with TouchOSC on an Android tablet. Works nicely, e.g. to control NI Komplete Kontrol.

One improvement would be if you could expose the "Send feedback now" button as a MIDI learn-able event / fx parameter of ReaLearn so that we can press a button on a MIDI controller (or touch surface in my case) to update all parameter positions on the controller when changing patches. Today this requires one mouse click but would be much nicer staying on the MIDI controller.

Thanks for considering!

Last edited by brummbear; 10-18-2018 at 02:16 AM.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:27 AM   #252
brummbear

...and another additional nice-to-have feature for MIDI feedback would be to be able to send the feedback to a track. This would allow to place a MIDI effect (e.g. JS) on that track before finally sending it back to the control surface. This could help in situations were the feedback leads to instability with the input (e.g. motor faders) due to the lag in the control loop. Also one could route the feedback to a different indicator than the original controlling element by changing the message content/channel/note number etc.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #253
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Hi !
Thing is that the search dropdown for action isn't very usable, as there is no search field, and we can't even enter first action letters cause they all start by a random number (not even command ID).

It would be nice if there was a filter by name or command ID, or at least a way to link to last triggered action.
Yes please, +1 !
Old 10-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #254
_jon

Default MIDI note translation functionality

Hey, sorry if this has already been asked,

but is there a way to simply use a MIDI note as a target? IE source is MIDI note number 66, and destination is MIDI note number 80 for example?

This tool could be really useful as a MIDI translator that only lets certain notes through. Would be great for things like layering drum kits where you only want to selectively use certain sounds from each kit. Thanks!
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #255
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon View Post
Hey, sorry if this has already been asked,

but is there a way to simply use a MIDI note as a target? IE source is MIDI note number 66, and destination is MIDI note number 80 for example?

This tool could be really useful as a MIDI translator that only lets certain notes through. Would be great for things like layering drum kits where you only want to selectively use certain sounds from each kit. Thanks!
For simple MIDI note re-mapping there is a bunch of separate utilities available, e.g. MIDI Map to Key v2 from IXix (JS Effect) or Note Mapper from CodeFN42 (VST). Maybe what you need?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #256
_jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
For simple MIDI note re-mapping there is a bunch of separate utilities available, e.g. MIDI Map to Key v2 from IXix (JS Effect) or Note Mapper from CodeFN42 (VST). Maybe what you need?
Thanks - these tools are useful and I’m able to cobble together a solution - but I like ReaLearn because it is

A) Midi learnable
B) Therefore also allows you to see the current note you’re playing (many other plugs don’t have any visual feedback for “incoming note”)
C) Easy to set up noncontinuous collections of single notes and enable/disable them individually.
D) Easy to filter out everything except the translated notes
E) Has potential to be a one-stop shop requiring no other plugins

I am already using ReaLearn for the MIDI learn, the visual feedback and the filtering out of other notes. Currently I’m using Midi Shape Shifter VST to do remaining operations on individual notes/velocities. However it’s a bit of a cumbersome solution as I have to type in the target MIDI notes by number and this requires additional steps and guesswork.

What would be even better would be to have a draggable or mouse-wheelable target note control directly in ReaLearn that would allow me to change the control while hitting the source note and seeing it being played on a target Kontakt instrument’s keyboard, for example, in situations where I know visually or by ear what target note I want but I don’t know the note number. Or in situations where I don’t know what I want but I’m using it as an exploratory tool.

If I could do all of this in one place that would be awesome, and ReaLearn is the current closest thing to an elegant solution that I’m looking for. It would really just require adding “Midi note” as another target class. Even if it just passes through and doesn’t have the ability to target other tracks.
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #257
jbraner

Well, Realearn had me scratching my head today.
I had an audio track with a FX, and realearn loaded before the FX - and I used a seperate track for MIDI, and directed it's output to the audio track.

I set Realearn for the correct controls, and everything worked great. I could use the MIDI track for my MIDI controller - and automate the FX on the audio track.

I recorded the MIDI data, and it played back fine
BUT
I could not render (to a stem) or freeze the audio with the FX automation.
I'm not 100% sure if this is actually a Realearn problem - but I think it is.
I tried every combination of freeze and render - but none worked. They all renedered the audio without the FX automation.
I even tried to render the track(s) as a WAV file - but still no FX automation.

The only way around it was to set up the automation envelopes in Reaper (so no need for Realearn) - then it renders fine.
I actually cheated and did this:
- set up the envelopes in Reaper
- "learn" CC values via Reaper (not Realearn)
- arm the envelopes
- put realearn back in, and play the MIDI track
- this recorded the automation envelopes in Reaper, and then I could render properly.

So my question is - shouldn't I be able to render a audio track with some FX automation using Realearn and a MIDI track for input?
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #258
Wilson

Hi, I installing ReaLearn and all I have to say ...its just a wonderfull Plugin ...thank you very much for this!

But could it be that this Plugin its not very stable at the moment? I had alot of crashes in a short period of time especially if I close the project or select "New Project" and this is almost never happening in Reaper before.

I hope this thing getting better with even more feauters and I hope the Reaper community really appreciate your work!

I have already my firt questions ...I got alot of Track Templates saved with assigned Midi controlls so is there a way to adobt this to Realearn so that I dont have to reassign everything?

And is it possible to assign custom Actions? (a search tool for Actions or a Action ID number field where also very helpful)

And the last question ...I got the Maschine MK2 controller and with this one you can change the speed of the rotarys directly in the Maschine Editor but with the Behringer X-Touch Mini you cant unfortunately. So I have tried with Source Min/Max settings in Realearn and if I change the Min to about 60 or the Max to about 40 then the rotary of the X-Touch has almost the same speed as the Maschine MK2 but the LEDs from the rotarys goes just the half way.
Is there a way to change the speed of the rotarys without limiting the range of the LEDs from X-Touch?

Thank you very much
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #259
kaeru

Thank you for this amazing tool !!

I am having a similar experience as brummbear. The MIDI feedback is absolutely great, but the signal comes back in a way that it makes the value jump up and down like crazy. I am not sure how to use the "Send Feedback Now" as the only way I can get smooth operation is by disabling the feedback entirely (at which point send feedback now will not interact with my controller).

I get the feeling I am just missing something in the options to be able to filter MIDI coming back if that controller is being moved from the hardware. Any suggestions?

Thank you again for this amazing tool, I really love it so far !
kaeru
kaeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #260
natonative

I was wondering if soft-takeover was available yet?
natonative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #261
LowlyOP

A couple small things that would likely be easy on the dev-end that would help functionality;

Unlock the min-max value ratio on all types of midi feedback options (where normally ( max >= min ) OR just include the "reverse" option in all message types (it's currently only available in one; absolute or relative, I forget which).

"Duplicate" copies all fields except the user-given name of each mapping. Perhaps it's just my personal preference, but i think having the duplicate's mapping as "<name><_1> would help us stay organized.
Bold names would be super helpful.

And even tho this is probably not nearly as feasible a request, i'll ask anyway; any chance you could make the window so we can resize it to allow more mappings visible?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:47 AM   #262
TonE

Is there any manual for ReaLearn?

How many ReaLearn you should use, for best use cases?

(a) one ReaLearn per project
(b) one ReaLearn per track
(c) one ReaLearn per folder

Advantages and disadvantages of each method? Some use case examples from the practical world, showing off notable features, one should not overlook.

I asked in another thread why Reaper can not export/import midi mappings, it seems ReaLearn allows to do this. So from keeping everything simple and on a single file, most practical would be then using a ReaLearn per project. But then you could not switch them individually, in case you want to change something in 5 months, having some new ideas from later projects, bringing them in to some older projects.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:47 AM   #263
TonE

"For the developers among you: I'm planning to release the source code of ReaLearn later this year." (in 2016)

Did this happen anywhere? For example I would like to know about the exported .json format, instead of asking you questions, I could just look up in the source code.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:32 AM   #264
TonE

How many mappings can I have at maximum within one ReaLearn? For example can I have 5000 mappings? Yes, five thousand.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #265
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
Well, Realearn had me scratching my head today.
So my question is - shouldn't I be able to render a audio track with some FX automation using Realearn and a MIDI track for input?
Did you ever figure out this problem? I have the same issue with ReaLearn not rendering my automation. It seems to work if I put the track in 'Record Output' Mode. But I can't render or freeze tracks and retain the automation I've written to ReaLearn.

I believe you have to have ReaLearn as the first plugin on the track to control plugins below it. Putting it as an input FX will not trigger realearn once cc data is written to a midi item on a track. But if it's a track fx it should respond like any other midi enabled/ learned fx on the track.

Last edited by srdmusic; 11-13-2018 at 12:02 PM.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:25 AM   #266
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Did you ever figure out this problem? I have the same issue with ReaLearn not rendering my automation. It seems to work if I put the track in 'Record Output' Mode. But I can't render or freeze tracks and retain the automation I've written to ReaLearn.

I believe you have to have ReaLearn as the first plugin on the track to control plugins below it. Putting it as an input FX will not trigger realearn once cc data is written to a midi item on a track. But if it's a track fx it should respond like any other midi enabled/ learned fx on the track.

No I never solved it, I worked around it. I got no replies on the thread - so I assumed it must be able to work. There's a big problem if you can't render automation.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #267
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
No I never solved it, I worked around it. I got no replies on the thread - so I assumed it must be able to work. There's a big problem if you can't render automation.
Exactly! What is your work around? I have been putting my busses into 'Record Output' mode and printing realtime. This works in small sessions but with a big orchestral film score the system is having a hard time playing back and recording in real time.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #268
TonE

Quote:
I have the same issue with ReaLearn not rendering my automation.
ReaLearn does not do any rendering, Reaper does. ReaLearn is only mapping from a to b. If you have recorded envelopes into Reaper, Reaper should render. So do not write automation to ReaLearn, write on the target.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #269
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
ReaLearn does not do any rendering, Reaper does. ReaLearn is only mapping from a to b. If you have recorded envelopes into Reaper, Reaper should render. So do not write automation to ReaLearn, write on the target.
I use ReaLearn for it's midi item compatibility. If I wanted to write track envelope information I would just write it without the plug.

Currently the plugin is not responding to midi items when in render mode. So it seems like it's got a bug. Is there anyone out there that would like to edit the source code since it's open source to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for you everyone's help.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #270
TonE

Quote:
Currently the plugin is not responding to midi items when in render mode. So it seems like it's got a bug. Is there anyone out there that would like to edit the source code since it's open source to fix the problem?
You mean locked source? If open, where?

Do you have any video how you are using it? Maybe there are too many use cases?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #271
jbraner

Quote:

I don't know what you mean.
Basically - just set up some automation on a FX plugin on a track, then render the track and see if the FX automation is there.
For me it wasn't.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #272
srdmusic

Quote:

Ah! Yeah, the developer said they were going to release the source code but it looks like he hasn't yet.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #273
Thor

Default Crash when deleting tracks with mapped plugs?

Hello all.

Thank you for this effort to address the much needed MIDI feedback issue in reaper!

I have been testing realearn for possible use in a large project. So far I am doubtfull about it because of what I perceive as stability issues.

For instance if I have mapped (with feedback) to a track with a vst plug-in and then delete that track. Reaper will crash. This happens also if both realearn and the plug in question is running in a dedicated process.

If I first delete the plug-in being controlled then the track, it does not crash.

Can anyone confirm this? And can anyone confirm that this is stable when mapping a large amount of parameters in large session?

Thank you!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #274
TonE

Yes, I had also stability problems, thus stopped using it, if it would work, that would be great however.

One more idea: What about allowing mapping to parameters by name and not only by Parindex? Typical example would be parameters Wet and Bypass, both have a different position in the parameter list, but always having same name, so for such parameters we could create automapping functionality! See also my suggestion here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=2061417
Old 11-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #275
helgoboss

Sorry for the crashes, I'm aware of them. Since the last release in August I fixed quite some and added a fault barrier to prevent crashes whenever it's possible (so if there's something wrong, ReaLearn shows a message instead of crashing REAPER). I'm trying to release this about end of next week.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #276
helgoboss

About the rendering issues: Applying ReaLearn while rendering a project is technically not possible. The REAPER SDK doesn't support this, at least not that I know of. Otherwise I would have liked to integrate it. However, there's a workaround: Automation envelopes. They are the standard way in REAPER to record changes to track volume, FX parameters etc. So if you already have some MIDI clips that control ReaLearn, the solution is to play the song once from start to end while having global automation mode set to "Latch". This will write all automatable ReaLearn changes to automation envelopes. Then you render the project.

However, my recommendation is to write to automation envelopes already while recording your stuff. Personally, I use ReaLearn mainly for live playing. If I want to record my performance, I don't record the MIDI that goes into ReaLearn. Instead I set REAPER's global automation mode to "Latch" before pressing "Record". Therefore the effects of my fader/knob movements (like track volume changes) will be written to automation envelopes in realtime, while recording. After that I can render the project immediately. If I need to fine-tune a controlled parameter later, I adjust the automation envelope. IMHO this is better than to mess with the MIDI editor because automation envelopes are made for exactly this sort of things and they have a really high resolution. After that step, ReaLearn is effectively obsolete, until the point when you want to record some new fader movements.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #277
TonE

Thanks helgoboss, I see it like you, I asked srdmusic for his special use cases, but he did not respond. ReaLearn would be the magical super powerful midi mapping solution for Reaper, where you can import/export even in text form, just what I was waiting for, if everything would work, plus having name based mappings.
- option a: exact matching, would work easily with Wet and Bypass.
- option b: pattern matching, first match of some pattern *search*, for example

Then we could easily create such text files for ReaLearn, import them, and hoop, you would get your "Automap".

For example my source configuration is staying fixed, which is called "Reason Mode" in Bitstream 3X, this is a setting, hardly coded into the hardware, it has thousands of features, you can change anything you want, but there are some mode, with fixed settings, like this "Reason Mode", the advantage is obvioius, no matter what I do, this setting I never lose, it is always there, so perfect for source to control some targets.

Reason Mode --> ReaLearn --> Targets in Reaper

As ReaLearn has already text import/export, what is missing is only a comfortable way of definining targets, based on certain criteria, like names, not only position of parameter. For filters typical targets would be "cutoff" and "resonance", almost any filter have those. So we have already almost 4 global parameters:
- Wet
- Bypass
- Cutoff
- Resonance

If we could automap those, no matter which fx, that would be a great start. I could reserve 4 knobs on my hardware for them, no matter what I select, if there are cutoff and resonance, they would be immediately under my hand. With zero work.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #278
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
About the rendering issues: Applying ReaLearn while rendering a project is technically not possible. The REAPER SDK doesn't support this, at least not that I know of

Hi Helgoboss, thank you so much for getting back to me about the render issue. Firstly, I believe it is possible as there may plugins that can be automated via midi and this one should be no different. The interesting thing is that I did find a way of getting Realearn to render with midi automation but not in an ideal way. If Realearn is the first plugin in the the fx chain it will not render automation correctly. However, if I move it after an instrument plugin like Kontakt it will print the automation correctly. So that leads me to believe it is absolutely possible, I'm just not understanding why it has to come after the instrument because it's controlling a track parameter not an instrument below it. The problem with putting it after an instrument vst is that the user then has to disable all volume midi in each instrument each time the user loads Kontakt for example. Otherwise kontakt will also be affected by cc7 just as realearn.

I would forever be in your debt if you can find out why it works in the fx 2 position in the chain as apposed to position 1.

As far as a case for absolutely needing it to work with midi and not track automation is that when working with large orchestral sessions we often need to ajust the volume of multiple parts at once. It's very easy in the midi editor to accomplish that and it's basically impossible in track evelopes. There is in my very humble opinion that there is no reason to use realearn to control track volume envelopes. This can already be done with standards cc automation action built into reaper.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #279
srdmusic

Tone, pardon if I'm not understanding what you mean by text import/ export but are you basically trying to build presents for realearn. Can't this be done by saving a preset within the built in Reaper fx preset menu?
Old 11-25-2018, 03:17 AM   #280
jbraner

Quote:
Hi Helgoboss, thank you so much for getting back to me about the render issue. Firstly, I believe it is possible as there may plugins that can be automated via midi and this one should be no different. The interesting thing is that I did find a way of getting Realearn to render with midi automation but not in an ideal way. If Realearn is the first plugin in the the fx chain it will not render automation correctly. However, if I move it after an instrument plugin like Kontakt it will print the automation correctly. So that leads me to believe it is absolutely possible, I'm just not understanding why it has to come after the instrument because it's controlling a track parameter not an instrument below it. The problem with putting it after an instrument vst is that the user then has to disable all volume midi in each instrument each time the user loads Kontakt for example. Otherwise kontakt will also be affected by cc7 just as realearn.

I would forever be in your debt if you can find out why it works in the fx 2 position in the chain as apposed to position 1.

As far as a case for absolutely needing it to work with midi and not track automation is that when working with large orchestral sessions we often need to ajust the volume of multiple parts at once. It's very easy in the midi editor to accomplish that and it's basically impossible in track evelopes. There is in my very humble opinion that there is no reason to use realearn to control track volume envelopes. This can already be done with standards cc automation action built into reaper.

Just to add to this - thanks for getting back to us Helgoboss. it's always good to know that you're not losing your mind, and that it's actually not working the way you thought it should.
I assumed that must music is ultimately going to be rendered - so I guess realearn is really going to be a way to temporarily map a MIDI controller to a parameter - automate the plugin - and then forget about realearn.

Unless we make progress with srdmusic's solution