Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #1
ThrashJazzAssassin
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER OSC panel for Open-Stage-Control

https://github.com/ThrashJazzAssassin/REAPER-OSC-panels

Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
ivansc

Already using touchosc but I will have to give this a go. Thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 02:08 AM   #3
blueben

What is the recommended screen resolution? Is it fixed?
blueben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
ThrashJazzAssassin

I made it for a full screen 1920x1080. I'd love to update it to be responsive but my CSS skills are limited.

You can scale it with CTRL-, CTRL+ or CTRL+Mousewheel like a web browser
Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
grandfougue

hello
is it possible to rescal size on on mobil navigator ?
a other cool work thank

Last edited by grandfougue; 10-01-2018 at 04:30 PM.
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
hello
is it possible to rescal size on on mobil navigator ?
a other cool work thank
I would not recommend using this on a screen under about 7". It was built for 1920x1080@15". Feel free to edit it for your needs

EDIT:rethink, clarification

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 10-02-2018 at 02:11 PM.
ThrashJazzAssassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
grandfougue

ok it s perfect on pc portable
thanks
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
I made it for a full screen 1920x1080. I'd love to update it to be responsive but my CSS skills are limited.

You can scale it with CTRL-, CTRL+ or CTRL+Mousewheel like a web browser
Is it possible to use .svg, those would scale to any screen resolution.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Is it possible to use .svg, those would scale to any screen resolution.
It's already vector. The problem is I used absolute pixel values (px) rather than relative values (%) for everything.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
TonE

Quote:
It's already vector. The problem is I used absolute pixel values (px) rather than relative values (%) for everything.
Is it difficult to convert from absolute to relative, using some replacement tricks, in emacs or elsewhere? Did not look and try this yet, have you any hints which files would need edits, so I could have a look.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
ThrashJazzAssassin

It's all held in one json file. I guess you could go through all the left/right/width/height keys; and modify the values.

So say there's a widget with:
"top": 140,
"left": 80,
"width": 80,
"height": 20,

The modified values should be change to:
"top": 12.96296296296296%, (140/1080)*100
"left": 4.16666666666667%, (80/1920)*100
"width": 4.16666666666667%, (80/1920)*100
"height": 0.37037037037037%, (20/1080)*100

Would that work? maybe,
Any regex script wizards reading this willing to give it a go?

Failing that, it would have to be a manual slog through each widget using the editor. The editor is excellent. Try it here. It would only take about 2-3 cups of tea I reckon. A lot of the widgets are already relative (width:auto) so it would only require changing the position/size values of their parent containers.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:58 AM   #12
Georgedayren

omg that - all i need! very usefull! thanks!
Georgedayren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
ThrashJazzAssassin

I'm working on a scalable version. Almost done
Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
ThrashJazzAssassin

Just uploaded REAPER OpenStageControl TJA 0.2.0.json

It now scales to the window size
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
Vindes

This looks really awesome. I've been thinking about using my Surface Pro as a touch controller for something like this for a while.

I've set it up and have it running, but I'm encountering a problem and not really sure where to go from here.

I have the Open Stage server running on my Surface Pro, and Reaper running on my DAW. I have rtpMidi working between them. I'm starting up your json in the Open Stage app first, then starting Reaper on the DAW.

All of the project state (slider positions, instruments, etc.) get communicated to Open Stage, and they update in real time when I change things on the DAW, but anything I adjust on Open Stage is not having any effect on the DAW.

I've played around with everything I could think of playing around with, but it's not having any impact. This is my first time using OSC for anything, so my apologies if I'm doing something stupid, but what am I doing wrong? How do I get Reaper to follow my touches in Open Stage?
Vindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:10 AM   #16
ThrashJazzAssassin

The easiest way is to first get Open Stage running on your DAW computer and talking 2-way to reaper. Make sure they are set to the same port. These settings work for me:

Then with your surface (connected to the same network), open up a web browser and go to the URL that Open Stage Control supplies you with.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #17
Vindes

Thanks. I think I know what my problem is now, but haven't had a chance to test it.

When I set up the Open Stage Control I set the "Send" address to the machine the DAW (Reaper) is running on. I believe I'm supposed to set it to the machine I have Open Stage running on.

I admit that what's going on behind the scenes here is still unclear to me. I understand there is a separate "server" running, and then the interface that I believe runs in a Chrome browser. It's just not exactly clear to me what's what.

I'll give that a try after work today and hopefully it will straighten out my issue.

Excellent work on all this, though. Really seems fantastic. (Although the one thing I'm going to need to do is adjust font sizes. The fonts are really tiny on the Surface Pro, which is common problem.)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindes View Post
(Although the one thing I'm going to need to do is adjust font sizes. The fonts are really tiny on the Surface Pro, which is common problem.)
Please post a screenshot. Maybe I can do something about it
Old 11-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #19
Vindes

Thanks. I'm ok with the fonts for now, but I would like to start messing around with some things. Maybe you could point me in the right direction?

The OSC stuff is totally new to me. I used to be a programmer back in the day, and I've done a few LUA scripts, so I'm not completely incompetent. But I haven't really figured out where to look for what you can and can't do with OSC in Reaper.

Here's something I was thinking about, for example: for changing FX presets there's only the +/- buttons on your (very awesome) panel. Is there a way to do it with a dropdown list, or maybe populate a list of buttons?

I'm thinking of using my phone to flip between patches on Superior Drummer 3, for example. I know how to create a new template with the +/- patch select, but I'd like to build out a list so I can just click on the preset I want to switch to.

EDIT: I may have figured out the answer to that myself by looking at the Default.ReaperOSC file. If I'm following how all this works, it doesn't look like there's a way to get a preset list.

I'm looking at
Code:
FX_INST_PRESET s/fxinst/preset s/track/@/fxinst/preset
and I think I'd need something more like
Code:
FX_INST_PARAM_NAME s/fxinstparam/@/name
which appears to let you grab the parameter names by number (@), but I don't see an equivalent for grabbing preset names by number.

Am I interpreting this stuff right?

Last edited by Vindes; 11-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #20
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindes View Post
Is there a way to do it with a dropdown list, or maybe populate a list of buttons?
Yes, Default.ReaperOSC is the right place to look. Seems like you're understanding it correctly, and as you've seen, the feature you want is not there.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 AM   #21
SeanTypedThis

Thank you so much for this control surface, it looks and works great, even on under powered tablets!

I made a bit of a scaled down version of your original so it would fit on tablets with low DPI a little better, but your auto-scaling version is almost perfect, thanks for continuing the work on this!

My only issues are that this new version appears to be missing the parameter names on the channel strip FX listed/selected in the main mixer window. Also, there is some sort of issue with the tempo slider where it disappears on my Android tablet interface (probably do to the resizing on a screen with a low dpi).
I'll probably have time during the week to see if I can't tweak some of those things myself (the editor is really nice with my very basic command of reaperosc), but other than those small things, I think this is really really close to what I have been looking for since I started hacking together touchosc templates a few years ago.

Thank you again!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 AM   #22
ThrashJazzAssassin

Thanks for testing!

I just put up a fix for the missing parameter names on page 1

The Playrate slider does disappear at low resolutions. You could fix it by hiding label or input, or changing it to a compact slider.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #23
SeanTypedThis

Busy season, but definitely wanted to say thank you for the modification and the tip about the slider!

I'm just glad this works well on older/under powered hardware. It's still not quite as fast as touchosc (with it's super stripped down UI), but it's stable and responsive enough with a lot more flexibility and a much cleaner editor. I probably couldn't even get started without your base template though, thanks again!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
Swi

Default Thank you!

This software is amazing!

I looked through the thread and saw Vindes' question, and your response regarding looking at the Default.ReaperOSC file for the different commands you can send to reaper;

I noticed that if I'm using any of the commands listed in there, they don't work with reaper as is, i.e.:

ACTION i/action s/action/str t/action/@ f/action/@/cc

(I wasn't able to have reaper execute a specific command/action, unless in the "Address" box under the "OSC" tab in Open Stage Control, I just put "/action/_______")

Putting "/action/_________" works great for any action that's built into reaper; I was wondering if there was any way I would be able to trigger custom commands I've made? Whenever I copy and paste their command ID's like the ones built into reaper, they don't execute

Also, is there a list somewhere of OSC commands that Open Stage Control will send and Reaper will do? As I said I've checked the Default.ReaperOSC file but I'm having trouble getting any of those to work.

Thanks again!
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 AM   #25
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swi View Post
trigger custom commands I've made?
In Reaper's OSC settings tick 'Allow binding messages to REAPER actions and learn'

In Open-Stage-Control create a button that sends a unique message. e.g. /swicustomaction21

Go to Reaper's action list, find the action you want to trigger, add a shortcut, press the button you created, click ok

(only problem doing it this way is no feedback to OSC device)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #26
mschnell

Quote:
Hopefully CSI will get OSC support some day soon ....

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #27
Swi

Default Thank you so much!

Quote:
In Reaper's OSC settings tick 'Allow binding messages to REAPER actions and learn'

In Open-Stage-Control create a button that sends a unique message. e.g. /swicustomaction21

Go to Reaper's action list, find the action you want to trigger, add a shortcut, press the button you created, click ok

That works perfectly for me! I'm not too worried about feedback to Open Stage Control because I'm just trying to trigger some custom actions which will do a few things for me; i.e. add a plugin on a track

I am trying to use pip to install rtmidi through command prompt, because as it says on your website, it's required in order to have Open Stage Control send MIDI messages to reaper, but for some reason whenever I try to have pip install it, it gives me an error saying: "Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with 'Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools': *insert download link here*"

I've installed and re-installed the newest version of the Microsoft site multiple times to end up with the same error message in the command prompt;

Would it be possible to use OSCII-bot from Cockos to translate OSC messages from Open Stage Control to MIDI, rather than using rtmidi?

Also, is there a list somewhere of commands I can put in the "Address" box under "OSC" in Open Stage Control that Reaper will accept?

Thanks Again!
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #28
ThrashJazzAssassin

This was updated yesterday to replace depreciated widgets
Old 03-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #29
GawidWill

Default Thanks

Thank you for sharing this amazing template
GawidWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #30
Etalon

In the mixer window selecting an FX to view it's parameters did nothing for me while using the mouse. Changing the Precision value from 2 to 0 solved it. I will try this out on a touch screen in a few days...

My question: Is this by design or that precision value have some function when set to 2?

Also, would it be possible to tap on the name of the FX to show it's parameters instead of the number next to it?

My guess is, if those numbers would overlay the name section without displaying any text on them would work, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #31
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etalon View Post
In the mixer window selecting an FX to view it's parameters did nothing for me while using the mouse. Changing the Precision value from 2 to 0 solved it. I will try this out on a touch screen in a few days...

My question: Is this by design or that precision value have some function when set to 2?
Not by design. I'm sure it used to work. Glad you fixed it. Feel free to fork the repo or upload a pull request. Not sure when I'll have time to test it however. Can you state what version you're using please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etalon View Post
Also, would it be possible to tap on the name of the FX to show it's parameters instead of the number next to it?

My guess is, if those numbers would overlay the name section without displaying any text on them would work, but I'm not sure.
Good idea, yes, it's possible, not sure how. Maybe use the text widget. Might need to tweak the CSS z-index so it doesn't block access to what's underneath.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #32
Etalon

Quote:
Can you state what version you're using please.
I'm using 0.49.12

I will try out precision set to 0 and 2 on a touchscreen in a few days and see what is the difference.
I will also try to make that overlay for FX selection.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #33
ehez

Default VU Meters

Hey thank you so much for making this. Its really awesome. I do have one question/ request. Is there a way of making the fader section also tell you if the master and other tracks are clipping. Somewhat similar to Reaper. Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction to edit code or something Thank you, any help would be appreciated.
ehez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #34
dagamusik

Hi there,

It looks amazing from the pictures you've shared, for me is not working with Reaper v6.68 + OSC 1.18.2 any clues why?
Old 11-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #35
ThrashJazzAssassin

I've uploaded my latest version here
https://github.com/ThrashJazzAssassi...095320/OSC.zip

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 11-25-2022 at 04:46 PM.
ThrashJazzAssassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:05 PM   #36
Hipox

Quote:
I've uploaded my latest version here
https://github.com/ThrashJazzAssassi...095320/OSC.zip

Amazing work!
I was looking for something like this for a long time, thank you where can I donate?
Hipox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:54 AM   #37
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipox View Post
Amazing work!
I was looking for something like this for a long time, thank you where can I donate?
There is an Open Stage Control patreon here https://www.patreon.com/openstagecontrol
Old 10-25-2023, 07:03 PM   #38
larryJ

Default Thank you

Wow, this is amazing. I have been hunting for something like this for years. One question though, why have places for 8 sends and 8 receives and only populate 4 of each? Is that configurable somehow? Could have 12 channels otherwise, which would be nice. I have been struggling with TouchOSC, this is much more responsive. THANK YOU.
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:14 AM   #39
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryJ View Post
Wow, this is amazing. I have been hunting for something like this for years. One question though, why have places for 8 sends and 8 receives and only populate 4 of each? Is that configurable somehow? Could have 12 channels otherwise, which would be nice. I have been struggling with TouchOSC, this is much more responsive. THANK YOU.
The bottom right button brings up preferences

Old 10-29-2023, 11:51 AM   #40
larryJ

Default Thankmuch!

Quote:
The bottom right button brings up preferences

Thank you for the info!
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote