Old 08-17-2016, 02:01 AM   #41
snooks
Banned

The Select version won't work either, it won't select notes with start times before end times and when I tried to 'touch' notes a la the Midi Editor with the script that had been altered to target these strange notes I was selecting them to try and simulate a touch. This was the thing that deleted the notes (even when it was a different note being touched/selected, the weird notes would disappear).
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #42
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

ack, foiled again.... we're so close... at least we made it to page 2. i submitted a howto to the q and a forum regarding this issue going there was a nondev solution but looks like we are gonna be stuck writing letters to the president for now.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #43
mccrabney

bug report submitted. please add any details that i have omitted or mistakes i've made.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...66#post1719566
Old 09-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #44
mccrabney

bug fixed! we can now perform time based midi edits on looped sequences without leaving our controllers. what a great feature for jamming.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #45
snooks
Banned

Cool, nice work getting the behaviour noticed.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #46
mccrabney

question - i run one midi editor per project, open all midi on the same track, with media item selection linked to visibility, and only midi items on the same track are editable. this way, i can see all midi on the same track and edit them all with the mouse.

however, if i have 2 midi items side by side, split down the middle, with midi data in both, this script only works on the currently active midi item -- see gif.

above, i have 2 items. i enter the first item and DM delete. (desired behavior is for all of the notes across the 2 items to be deleted). note: only the first item's notes are deleted, until i make the 2nd item active. then DM delete works there, too.

is there any way to make this script work on all midi being displayed in the editor?

or is there a way to make reaper switch the active midi item to the one currently being played?

thanks as always, snooks.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #47
snooks
Banned

Unfortunately we can't get all the editable takes in the MIDI editor, but I've rustled together a quick update that just gets any active takes that have parts in between the locators.

It seems to work anyway, I've attached it to the post cause it's too long to copy/paste now. Let me know if you can break it.
Attached Files
File Type: lua DM Delete.lua (10.4 KB, 179 views)
Old 09-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #48
foxAsteria

@Snooks - This is pretty awesome! Had given up on it being possible... Works great so far, but it could be helpful if the script reported a toggle state. Thanks so much for this functionality!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #49
mccrabney

haven't had a chance to test that one yet (too busy getting work done with your previous version), but i look forward to doing so.

noticed a few times that i'm left with some note getter scripts that remain enabled and active, eating midi input. i'll see if i can't tease out exactly how i keep doing that.

now if only someone would write a Live Quantize plugin for REAPER!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #50
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
now if only someone would write a Live Quantize plugin for REAPER!
What about this? http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=165672 I assume you know about input quantize in track recording settings?
Old 09-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #51
mccrabney

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately, REAPER's track record settings / quantize midi input don't work in realtime, aren't MIDI controllable, and are track-specific.

to compete with workflows offered by midi hardware sequencers such as the MPC series and software like Ableton Live, REAPER needs a global input quantize feature that can be controlled from midi hardware (ccs controlling grid division, strength, swing, toggle quantize noteoffs, etc). it also needs to have 2 states: 1, passive, where it quantizes a performance immediately after it is recorded, and 2, active, where it delays notes in a performance to the next grid division (ala NOTE REPEAT in MPC series and global input quantize in Ableton).

my goal would be to control this/these js/vst via a dedicated quantize mode on my launchpad that would give me LED feedback via midi linked params. this all leads to more recording, editing, and performing on the controller and less mousing around while composing midi sections.

but now i'm way off topic. this new script version works great across multiple midi items, snooks! thanks!

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-20-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #52
snooks
Banned

Cool, glad it's working for you guys. Yes, the live quantize VST is on the cards still, the old JS is still kicking around in that thread which works alright too.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #53
mccrabney

wanted to bump this old thread to say that i recently got a USB footswitch with 3 buttons that i'm using for transport. one is play (doubletap to playstart), one is overdub, and the last is drum machine delete. it's awesome! the script is active while i press with my foot, and disengages when i release. it also lights up the corresponding button on my launchpad to indicate that the script is in play. i'm considering adding a dedicated reasamplomatic instance with a high frequency squeak sound effect to hear when it turns on, and another to hear when it turns off.

previously i had fiddled with a toggle button on the launchpad, but a momentary button style control is much much better.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #54
mccrabney

bump - could get we get a version of this with the function to "delete all" as if all notes were being held simultaneously?

a wholly separate script that does this would be equally good

Last edited by mccrabney; 04-22-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #55
snooks
Banned

No worries, what about channels... all of them at once? It might be better having a trigger note for all notes too so that it works with delete or select.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #56
mccrabney

i think all channels, yes, but i'm only ever working with one channel per track anyway.

Quote:
It might be better having a trigger note for all notes too so that it works with delete or select.
however you think best. this will bring REAPER closer yet to an MPC sequencer style workflow.

unrelated, but check out this
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205546
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #57
snooks
Banned

That's another nice function, I'll have a quick think about how best to make it more expandable and get back with something.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #58
mccrabney

awesome, thanks! if it turns out to be easier just to clone this script and make it delete notes as the playhead hits them, that'd fully fulfill my FR. it'd be like turning "REC" on and off during playback in the MPC series, selectively clearing midi while the sequence plays.

soooo much better than mousing all the time
Old 04-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #59
snooks
Banned

It's cool, I've never been a fan of polluting projects with input FX so I might as well change it now with other changes so that it's just one monitoring track that's used. Having the ability to trigger more than one conflicting action at the same time requires some janitorial sawdust too.

I'll create a new thread for it when it's done/ready for testing (in the next few days) because I think the MIDI CC not terminating shizzle thingy has been thoroughly debunked.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #60
mccrabney

yeah a dedicated thread would help others find the script as well.

i have questions:

could you theoretically make a own version of this script that replaces reaper's midi overdub altogether? i've noticed that while in "overdub" mode, you can't use reaper's actions to move the play cursor (this makes sense in light of audio recording, but not MIDI).

when using DM delete, however, you can. it makes for very quick midi editing -- no need to wait for the loop to come back around, just move the cursor during playback to the problem spot and DM delete it out.

if we had a "snooks midi overdub" script hopefully we could navigate via cursor buttons while overdubbing.

-

2nd question - is there a way to make this script work with all editable midi displayed in Midi Editor, or is it limited to the midi on the track that was opened? cuz if i have midi items x y z on a track and open item x with y and z editable, i can DM delete y and z. but if i select items on track B, making them editable in midi editor, DM delete doesn't work until i forcibly enter a midi item on track B.

if that makes sense. the current behavior works fine, and in fact complements the workflow i've developed, so don't necessarily change anything... i'm just trying to gain perspective
Old 04-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #61
snooks
Banned

Yeah I think the overdub mode would be possible. I think it might be easier having scripts for navigation that turns off record if it's on before navigating though. If that worked at least.

Getting all editable MIDI in the ME is not at the moment (if I'm up to speed), it's a feature that's definitely been asked for on many occasions.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #62
mccrabney

cool thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Yeah I think the overdub mode would be possible. I think it might be easier having scripts for navigation that turns off record if it's on before navigating though. If that worked at least.
actually having record during navigation is the FR (or your version of midi overdub where record is altogether left off). in this case there'd be no audio recording, only midi, so you'd be able to zoom around your projects adding notes as desired without having to stop rec first
Old 04-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #63
snooks
Banned

It does sound interesting, there's a whole pile of stuff to think about with it though. Whether it records in existing items or anywhere while creating items, what happens when you record beyond an item with extending or merging etc.

At the mo I'm mooshing stuff together and breaking it up for code reusability n stuff and have a new JS plugin to use on a control track that can get length info with an eye to the future.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #64
snooks
Banned

Progress report: just adding MIDI learn functionality to the new setup. I'm going for the same MIDI message toggling like we have in the original scripts with Reaps's MIDI learn.

The most important thing is that I'm calling it 'impyC'.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #65
TonE

Write when impyC is finished. Thanks. Did not test any of your scripts yet, but will start with DM Delete, sounds interesting. Especially when combined with hackey trackey and hackey patterns. So the real time recording part would be handled by DM Delete, later fine editing in hackey patterns and hackey trackey.

mpc + jeskola buzz++, both together in reaper.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #66
mccrabney

i've been using impyc for a few months now bug-free -- snooks, what's the scoop?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #67
TonE

So impyc exists but is not officially published yet? At least not on snooks github. What is the difference to DM Delete?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #68
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i've been using impyc for a few months now bug-free -- snooks, what's the scoop?
Can you write a bit what you can do with it and what is still not possible what you would like to do? Noob explanations would be great. Is it better than JJOS?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #69
snooks
Banned

Yeah, I was starting to add more stuff to it that would explain the embarrassingly overcomplicated way of triggering the modes (which is good for adding more features simply) but never got much beyond that.

Feel free to share it mccrabney, I've come to terms with the shame!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #70
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
The most important thing is that I'm calling it 'impyC'.
Asking out of curiosity? Why this was never shared here? Developing something, then using only 2 persons? Hmm, interesting.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #71
snooks
Banned

No mystery, I was going to tidy and add stuff to it but never did and moved on to other things.