Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Question about customizing Reaper settings....

Hi, All:

I found a video featuring Jon from the Reaper blog demonstration tons of customizations. The video is 1:15:09 long!!

My question is, once I make the changes to my settings, can I save those settings somehow so this in the extreme event I have to reinstall Reaper or some other catastrophic thing happens I can restore all those settings??

If so, can someone either provide the instructions or refer me to where I can find instructions to accomplish this??????

With Gratitude,

Steven
Bayside Studios
Berkeley, CA USA
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
foxAsteria

User Guide 22.2.1
Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #3
solger

Exporting/Importing configurations is shown here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#HB4C3njFxRg

Another option besides the one shown in the video is to copy the entire Reaper resource folder (accessible via 'Options > Show REAPER resource path ...') manually as backup to another location.

In any case, keep in mind to also save/export your current configuration before starting to change/customize things (so you have a backup of your current settings, as well)

Last edited by solger; 06-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
sjs94704

Thanks Solger for the referral to a video by Kenny Gioia on the subject of exporting configuration, so, as you suggested, I just exported ALL of my configuration.

I'm now gonna watch this video and get out it what works for me!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
JamesPeters

You might want to know that when you export your configuration with Reaper's built-in feature from the preferences menu, it won't back up these things:

-whatever is in the "UserPlugins" folder (FFMPEG, ReaPack, SWS, etc.)
-your registration info
-the index for ReaPack (which contains all the info about what you have installed from ReaPack, so it knows that it can update those files)
-in Linux, the customizations to the menu/fonts etc. that you make by altering the libSwell.colortheme file

This is why I now just back up the entire contents of the Reaper resource folder (as Solger said). I zip it all and save the zip file as a backup. Then when I re-install Reaper (on a new hard drive/OS): I start Reaper once, then I unzip and copy all those files into the Reaper resource folder of the new install (overwriting what's there).

You could choose to back up the ReaPack index separately from ReaPack (it has an export feature for this), re-add your registration info, and be ready to re-install SWS and FFMPEG (etc.), so it isn't necessary to back up that entire folder. But I find it's faster and more foolproof since it does everything at once.

Once I forgot to back up my ReaPack index, then I had to uninstall/reinstall every script and plugin which I'd previously installed in ReaPack so it would index them again (and therefore be able to keep track of them and be able to update them). ReaPack didn't "see" things I had installed using ReaPack on the previous computer, so I had to make it "remember" by re-installing everything. After that I decided to back up this other way instead.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote