Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
Chumshot
Human being with feelings

Default Windows system sounds are distorting while Reaper is running at 96kHz

Hi folks

First things first, I'm using an Avid Mbox (3rd gen) as my audio interface, on Windows 10 64bit. By default my interface runs all audio at 44.1kHz, even though it can handle up to 96kHz. I'm also very new to Reaper.

I noticed Reaper was automatically downsampling content from a 96kHz sound library when I was trying to pitch shift (sound design). I changed the project settings so the default sample rate was 96kHz, and all was well for a while. Then I opened Reaper's media explorer and tried to pitch shift. Instantly I was deafened by this super loud distorted screeching. Not very pleasant!

After fiddling around, I can tell the screeching is actually a windows system sound, specifically the "asterisk" alert. When I adjust the pitch in the media explorer, I type in something like "-5" and press enter. That's when the audio freaks out.

I assume this is due to Reaper taking control over my audio driver and setting it to 96kHz, then windows trying to play windows system sounds at 44.1kHz.

When I have a YouTube video open in the background, Reaper won't change the audio interface's sample rate to 96kHz until I close the video. I assume this is normal.

Unfortunately it looks like the windows system sounds aren't causing the sample rate to change, which is why the audio is distorting.

Any idea on how to fix this? or maybe a workaround? I'm in need of a new interface anyway, so would an upgrade potentially fix this?

Thanks!
Chumshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
Stella645

What happens if you also set windows audio to 96k?

You should probably disable system sounds completely for any serious DAW use.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
Chumshot

Surprisingly the option isn't there (see attached).

The audio interface definitely supports 96kHz though, I can change it using the driver software, except that applications like Chrome seem to reset it back to 44.1kHz.

Disabling system sounds seems like a decent workaround so I'll use that for now, but if you have any idea about the attached picture I'd be keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-06-09 18.35.28.png (46.0 KB, 192 views)
Chumshot is offline   Reply With Quote