Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-24-2016, 02:58 AM   #81
Daniovan
Human being with feelings

Thanks sostenuto, now that Thermionik has been released and soon Recabinet5,
I do not need one more plugin for guitar and-or bass, I am used to have
Kazrog and Softube and this way it works fine for me.
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #82
sostenuto

Cool !! Very different perspectives with your guitar kills and my keyboard stuttering

Checked out Softube demos, but my usage (as above) makes lower cost (Torpedo WoS III) my alternate choice after Recabinet 4/5 and Guitar Rig5.

I remain well pleased with Kazrog LLC selection and look forward to imminent releases.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #83
acousticglue

Arguments come up quite often on amp sims and latency and real enough sounding. I've used the Roland Vgs and amps and sims. I have also now started owning more and wasting money on multiple guitars. I will say this: certain guitars sound just right with certain amps or sims. Same with cabs. I can play one guitar through SGear or whatever ampsim' amp cab and another guitar comes up short. This is why people buy and sell gear. Amplitube3/4 or Sgear or whatever is not going to sound fantastic on every patch and every piece of equipment.

Bought a Grosh today and it sounds better on some SGear patches that I wouldnt use on other guitars. It is just plain fact.
acousticglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 AM   #84
ivansc

I spent years not being able to get "that" guitar amp sound that I grew up with. Tried a bunch of modern valve amps and they all sounded nasty and fizzy to me, even used clean.
Decided it was down to how the old amps were built & that is when I figured out that all the old amps I liked in my youth were cathode biased.
So I built a wide panel deluxe clone & instantly had both the clean and slightly distorted sounds that I remembered.
Fast forward to amp sims.
Same deal, except the only ones I have found that get close are S-Gear and (amazingly) Peavey Revalver latest version.
I also own Waves GTR3, Amplitube 3/4 and Guitar Rig, among others, so irts not like I havent been trying.
Don`t get me wrong, the sims do not get 100% of the way there, but there again I havent managed to get a mic`ed real amp to sound exactly like it did in the room, either.
There is more to getting a great recorded guitar sound than "do I use a sim or a real amp?"
Old 02-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #85
morgon

Different individual focus on aspects of the "musical experience" prolly explains why there's still some unhappy with the sims. This ideal "tone" thing as a holy grail endpoint doesnt concern me, the sims are good enough imo.If someone has hearing so good that whatever diff between real amps and sims is an issue they should realize that to most, it isn't, and so performance is obviously the big deal, but I guess it's a self fulfilling prophecy to not play well if convinced the sound is "bad" from the start.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #86
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Different individual focus on aspects of the "musical experience" prolly explains why there's still some unhappy with the sims. This ideal "tone" thing as a holy grail endpoint doesnt concern me, the sims are good enough imo.If someone has hearing so good that whatever diff between real amps and sims is an issue they should realize that to most, it isn't, and so performance is obviously the big deal, but I guess it's a self fulfilling prophecy to not play well if convinced the sound is "bad" from the start.

Did anyone else hear the sound of that Morgon hammer hitting the nail right on the head?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #87
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
......but there again I havent managed to get a mic`ed real amp to sound exactly like it did in the room, either.....
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Did anyone else hear the sound of that Morgon hammer hitting the nail right on the head?
I did.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #88
karbomusic

Quote:
This ideal "tone" thing as a holy grail endpoint doesnt concern me, the sims are good enough imo.
Agreed. I don't chase 'that tone' whatever 'that tone' is supposed to be. I know for a fact I have/use some tones in my rig(s) that some subset of aficionados would likely turn their noses up at but they work so god damn well (and many people comment as such) I simply can't cater to what other players like. Besides, I've always preferred to sound like me, good, bad or ugly.

I still mic amps and consider my self good at doing so and still use SIMs sometimes because I'm always simply searching for what works with what I'm doing. I also almost always commit to it up front and choose a basic tone and 'burn it to tape' when I record it because if I can't know what I want at record time, I don't have any business recording it yet. I have found this creates a foundation early on which prevents option overload and second guessing too far into the mix.