Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
johnnyo
Human being with feelings

Default Importing a Midi Song into Reaper

I need some help.. I opened Reaper, & dragged the Midi song file into it. It gave me a box asking to split, I said yes.. So I now have a bunch of tracks showing guitar, piano, bass, & kick drum, snare, etc.. BUT, when I hit play I get no sound, & don't see any meters moving, indicating there is sound... Yet when I play a Wave file I get sound..
What am I doing wrong??
johnnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
dea-man

A WAV. file is actual audio, recorded.

A MIDI file is just information of how the notes are played to be played. There is NO audio information.

You would have to add a VST to generate sounds for the midi files to play.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
johnnyo

Thanks for your reply.. How & which VST would I apply.. Would I have to download one??
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyo View Post
Thanks for your reply.. How & which VST would I apply.. Would I have to download one??
That would depend on what kind of sound you want to make.

There are many (many thousands) VST's available for every situation, and for every pocketbook.

There are many free ones! (There is even a thread somewhere on here about going "all freewear", which lists many great free VST's and VSTi's.)

You might try a site called KVR. They have lists of all the commercial and free ones, with ranks accoring to most popular and best.

Last edited by dea-man; 08-08-2013 at 08:39 PM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
johnnyo

Thank you. Most of the stuff I have is Country Rock & classic Country..
I will check those links out..
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
DarkStar

Have a look for a sample player plug-in that you can load in Reaper. Two to try are Native Instruments' Kontakt 5 Player and IK Multimedia's SampleTank 2 Free. Both come with a library of sounds and can be expanded significantly.

There are also hundreds of synths and effects available )some free, some commercial) to choose from. As dea-man said, there are several threads in this forum about good, free plug-ins and have a look around KvR Audio http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php for many more.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
johnnyo

Thanks for your help.. Looks like I am too dumb to use Reaper.. As hard as my old feeble mind tries I can't get any luck using Reaper for Midis.
I have several other programs I use & are very simple to use, but I've heard so much about Reaper & thought I'd try it. In Cubase I drag a Midi file into it, & it opens all tracks like piano, bass, guitar, etc. I hit Play & I get sound.
I have Mixcraft, & drag a Midi into it, again it separates all channels, hit play & I got sound..
I also have Real Band,( a sister to Band In A Box), & also open a Midi file with the same results, immediate sound.
I drag a Midi file into Reaper & no sound.. Of course I'm not very good at Midi, but I followed directions (I think), & then I clicked on something on each track & it says no output, so I went to each track & allocated an output. Then I hit play & got sound, but it was out of Sync. Do I have to go to Midi Output every time I load a Midi Song & tell it which output ?? Seems like a lot to go through to play a song..
Maybe Reaper is too complicated for me to use..
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Lawrence

Quote:
In Cubase I drag a Midi file into it, & it opens all tracks like piano, bass, guitar, etc. I hit Play & I get sound.
That's because Cubase has instruments built into it, that come with it, and those instrument automatically map to the midi programs and tracks on import.

Reaper doesn't have any instruments, and doesn't do that kind of auto mapping with third party instruments, so you have to manually assign the tracks to synths / sounds in most cases, or use a general midi VSTI (Roland Sound Canvas, etc), or play it through your computer sound card's synth.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
TimOBrien

Quote:
Thanks for your help.. Looks like I am too dumb to use Reaper.. As hard as my old feeble mind tries I can't get any luck using Reaper for Midis....Maybe Reaper is too complicated for me to use..
All sequencer programs are pretty much the same. They all follow the same concepts.

Its just a matter of you putting in some time, reading the manual and playing with it.
We've all been at the same point you are now.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
BobReg

Quote:
Thanks for your help.. Looks like I am too dumb to use Reaper.. As hard as my old feeble mind tries I can't get any luck using Reaper for Midis....
...Seems like a lot to go through to play a song..
Maybe Reaper is too complicated for me to use..
I use Coyote ForteDXi for a quick peek at midi files in Reaper. Install it and add the location to your VST search path in Reaper. Then just add it to the track, use the browser and it will play midi files with all their correct instruments.

A fully-functional Coyote ForteDXi Demo is available here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/coyotefortedxi.audvid.htm

The demo is fully functional for 30 days after you install it. Once you have decided to purchase Coyote ForteDXi, it may be purchased through PG Music's online payment system. The registration fee is $40 US, and this entitles you to technical support from Coyote's responsive support staff.
BobReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
chriscomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
All sequencer programs are pretty much the same. They all follow the same concepts.

Its just a matter of you putting in some time, reading the manual and playing with it.
We've all been at the same point you are now.
Seems like, based on the OP's experience, you are exactly wrong TimOBrien. And that is exemplified by the part of his quote that you didn't include. I personally am a huge Reaper fan. I almost never open my Cubase 5.5, except for when I need to drop a MIDI file and listen quickly to try and make heads or tails of it. I might check out this Coyote ForteDXi so I can stay in Reaper and build my project quicker on the occasion when that's my starting point.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
James HE

I use this.

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

it's a replacement for the Microsoft Wavetable synth, and can use soundfonts, So really you could (with some editing) pretty much roll your own GM sounds that are wrapped into the OS.

I use the Vienna soundfont, it's more than fine for preview.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Lawrence

There is a practical issue there with midi files. I know this because I do midi cover songs for people to sing over, I just grab them from the net.

The problem is that Type 0 midi files don't have track names (and some people actually don't name Type 1 tracks, but use those fields for author info), so without a GM module to hear what each track should be playing you'll really have no clue, except for the drums on midi channel 10. You can't just start assigning Kontakt sounds in that case because you don't know what the tracks are supposed to be playing.

Here's an example below, an SMF. I have no clue (except for drums on 10, assuming it follows that general standard) what's what. Obviously, if you have a GM module you solo tracks and name them one at a time to sort all that out.

So what do you do otherwise? Open the midi file in another DAW that maps so you can not only immediately hear it, but will automatically (or easily) name all the tracks after the mapped sounds, and then export that to a new Type 1 midi file, and then open that midi file in Reaper and start popping in Kontakt sounds or whatever. Even if you do have a GM module you still have to name all the tracks manually.

Here's a midi cover song with 37 tracks and no track names. But the GM synths only do 16 parts, so you'll have to load 3 of them, plus type in all the track names.

A partial fix would be a function to rename each track after it's first program change, using the GM instrument map. At least in that case you'll kinda know what sounds to assign to the tracks.

Anyway, if you don't have anything GM just grab Studio One Free.

Sorry for the long post but I've done that in Reaper multiple times, loaded a midi file and saw something like above and thought "I should have loaded it into something else first to make sure it had track names." I never bought a GM VSTI because my other daws do that already, never needed one.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-10-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
johnnyo

Thank you very much everyone for your input & help.. I guess I'm just too dense upstairs, need all the help I can get..
I do have a paid version of Coyote Forte... I will play with it & try to install it..
So do I have to install it everytime I load a new Midi song?? or once it's installed & will it be recognized & saved by Reaper for all Midi files?? I've gone to You Tube & any place else i could think of till my head hurts & starts spinning.. I guess I'm going to have to do a bunch more reading & I still don't know the difference between VST & VSTi... This Midi thing could drive me into the HAHA house.. lol..
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
dea-man

VST stands for Virtual Studio Technology.

VSTi stands for Virtual Studio Technology Instrument. The "i" simply refers to a virtual instrument, as opposed to a virtual effect for audio and/or midi processing.

The term VST is often used interchangeably.

MIDI is an acronym for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, and is just a common language between digital equipment, indicating note descriptions such as pitch, length, velocity, (as well as any number of controllable parameters in the digital realm) etc.... It does not contain actual audio.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
royarn

Always had mine playing back through my keyboard via midi which is currently a Yamaha Motif. I set this up a few years ago but still have to set each track to it when I load a new midi. Its the stuff that Reaper good as it is doesn't do. But who knows about the next version ????.

Roy
royarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
johnnyo

Great thanks for the Info, back to reading I go..
Yes maybe next version will have save settings..
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
dea-man

Ok, I want to understand where the problem is at, so I can remedy, but I am unfamiliar with Coyote Forte.

As far as I can tell it's just a GM playback sample module. It that correct?

You throw GM midi tracks at it and it supposed to play them back using the correct sound. It that right?

I am pretty sure there is a simple solution for you. We just have to track it down. (No pun intended.)

Last edited by dea-man; 08-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
gibi25

when I use for the first time a GM midi file whith unnamed tracks, I open it in synthfont( donationware). It uses GM soundfonts, like titanic.
In the synthfont main window, you can see every track with the name of each instrument loaded in.
And you can rename each track.
Don't forget to save the midi file before closing synthfont.
When you load this new file in reaper (each channel on one track), the midi items are named.
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
BobReg

Quote:
... So do I have to install it everytime I load a new Midi song?? ...
No.
If the path is included in your setup for VST then it will be available every time Reaper runs. Just look in the FX browser, add it to you track, enable it and keep the track selected. Then just use Reaper's media browser to look through your midi collection.

When you click on a midi file it should load all the instrumentation (on the fly) and begin playing immediately. If you want to use the midi file, just drag and drop the file onto the Forte DXi track and Reaper will load up all the tracks. If you want to edit individual midi tracks you may want to click the main track I/O and in the Receives drop-down box, select receive from all tracks so they will all send to the main track.

If you don't want to go looking for your Forte DXi all the time then simply create a template with the Forte DXi on it and set up to preview.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobReg View Post
If you don't want to go looking for your Forte DXi all the time then simply create a template with the Forte DXi on it and set up to preview.
Bam.

There it is, right there.

Here is the thing I've learned about Reaper.

It can do just about anything, and a great deal of things others DAW's can't, but because it is so customizable, you have to think a little differently, in terms of workflow.

In Reaper, there is more than one way to scythe a cat.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
BobReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
...In Reaper, there is more than one way to scythe a cat.
Even quicker ...

Double-click in the track view to add a new track.

1) On the track -Input- drop-down box select ... Midi: All midi inputs: All channels
2) Right-click on the I/O and select ... Midi Output: WaveTable Synth: Send All

You're ready to preview midi files.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
johnnyo

I guess my main problem is I want to get the Midis to play. So far I have, but I really don't know what I've done to get them to play. I went to Options, Preferences, VST, & did Rescan, I don't see any progress bar that shows that it's Rescanning, but I hit OK anyway..
Then I go to Reaper & I have this Midi file loaded. I hit Play, no sound..
I go to Track, Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track, still no sound..
Under Virtual Instruments it shows,
DXi CototeWT
Dxi Sample Tank 2 x
DXi VSC DXi
VSTi ReaSamplOmatic5000 (Cockos)
VSTi ReaSynDr (Cockos) (4 out)
VSTi ReaSynth (Cockos)
VSTi SampleTank 2x (Ik Multimedia) (32 out)
So I pick any one & hit OK, still no Sound..(I can't pick Sample Tank, it tells me to shut down & Run manager, but I didn't get anywhere when I tried.)
So now I go to each track where it says Master just above I?O & it says no output. So I open it & Click on Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth then I get sound. But everything, (all instruments are out of sync.. Oh, & now it shows Sample Tank on each track. Yet it told me to run Manager for Ik & acted like I don't have Sample Tank..

Last edited by johnnyo; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
dea-man

Maybe it has to do with how you have your audio interface set up, or lack thereof.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
johnnyo

Possible, yet all other programs run good, Mixcraft, Audacity, Real Band, Cubase 5, I'll keep experimenting.. & trying.. Just using my built in soundcard.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #26
whis4ey

Hi Johnny
Like yourself, I am getting on in years and find some of these things rather over my head, and explanations often more confusing than needed. I too use Band in a Box and have the Coyote synth fingy that came with it
I usually open my midi files in Band in a Box, convert to wave files, and then import those into Reaper. It works great
If I want to open a midi file in Reaper (though I never find the need these days) I import the midi file on separate tracks, add Coyote to a separate track, and then route the midi tracks through the Coyote track to play
I hope this helps
whis4ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
johnnyo

Thanks for your input.. I see you on the D3200 forum as well.. I have been using the Korg as my main recording program, & got quite comfortable with it, but I have heard so much good about Reaper, & thought maybe I should pursue it & bit by bit do away with the D3200.. But I'm afraid the Korg will be with me for life.. As Hard as I'm trying I'm finding computer recording very intimidating & hard to grasp.. VST's & VSTi's, & all this other terminology sure can mnake a head hurt.. Though I'm not ready to give up.. Just can't understand why for example Reaper is smart enough to open a midi file & knows what instruments belong on each track, & knows the names of each instrument, yet can't play it.. I guess because Reaper is such an advanced program, & needs VST's to operate.. Yet I can grasp & operate BIAB & a few other Daws, I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble understanding & operating Reaper.. I think I can record a wave OK, but this Midi thing makes me do headstands.. I guess age has taken it's toll, but too be young again & have all this available to me..lol. The forum members are trying to be extremely helpful to me, but it's me & my ability to grasp.. I'm sure that if I could get one Midi to open & play properly, then I might be on the way.. (maybe)..
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
spk77

Here's a gif - MIDI tracks are put into a folder (at 21 s.)

spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #29
johnnyo

Thanks for the GIF, very helpful, gonna work on it right away..
Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #30
DarkStar

Quote:
Just can't understand why for example Reaper is smart enough to open a midi file & knows what instruments belong on each track, & knows the names of each instrument, yet can't play it..
This is because Reaper has no knowledge of what instrument to use. It has very few of its own. Some other DAWS do have a built-in General MIDI Player and will use that; Reaper does not.
Instead, you can load any plug-in instrument you like and send the MIDI to that instrument. Both SampleTank and Kontakt can provide a wide range of sounds. Indeed, one of the expansions for SampleTank is a General MIDI sound set.

----------------
PS to run SampleTank in Reaper correctly, you need to run Reaper "as Administrator (on Windows 7/8 or Vista) and you need to authorise it, using the Authorization Manager (also run "as Administrator").
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
johnnyo

Thanks spk77,.. Got it to play OK... But I can't control each track separately, as to volume, mute instrument, pan, etc..
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #32
johnnyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Instead, you can load any plug-in instrument you like and send the MIDI to that instrument. Both SampleTank and Kontakt can provide a wide range of sounds. Indeed, one of the expansions for SampleTank is a General MIDI sound set.

----------------
PS to run SampleTank in Reaper correctly, you need to run Reaper "as Administrator (on Windows 7/8 or Vista) and you need to authorise it, using the Authorization Manager (also run "as Administrator").
I am running Windows XP on this computer.. How would I run Sample Tank as Administrator??
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #33
spk77

Here are a few ReaScripts to speed up this importing process:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=124425

Link track volume/pan to MIDI volume/pan with one click:
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #34
DarkStar

Quote:
I am running Windows XP on this computer.. How would I run Sample Tank as Administrator??
It's not needed on Windows XP. Windows 7 / Vista introduced some additional security checks which necessitated running Reaper (or any other DAW host) "as Administrator" to avoid problems. But you will need to authorize SampleTank to use it after the demo period.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
johnnyo

OK, I think I have some Success.. I am playing a MIDI, but I don't see any meters moving not even in the mixer window.. I have Sample Tank 2x loaded..
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
DarkStar

What instruments did you load in SampleTank (ST2)? And when you click on the keyboard in ST2, does you hear anything?.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #37
johnnyo

OK, I loaded CoyoteWT, & midi is playing.. But only the meter on track 1 is working, also the Master track meter is working. Can I set it to have each individual track to show, & I can regulate volumes, mutes, etc??
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #38
DarkStar

Woo hoo,

It sounds like you are sending MIDI into Coyote and it is playing something on MIDI channel 1 and outputting the audio on audio channels 1/2 (showing up on the track's meters) and on then to the Master track.

Does Coyote play multiple sounds at once? I do not know if DXi instruments can have multiple output channels (looking at spk77's video it doesn't, so all the audio will be on channels 1/2).

Last edited by DarkStar; 08-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
johnnyo

Quote:
What instruments did you load in SampleTank (ST2)? And when you click on the keyboard in ST2, does you hear anything?.
I just followed spk GIF , I opened new project, clicked Track, Insert new virtual instrument, clicked on Sample Tank 2x, & it said I need to close it so I did , but it showed up on track one, I loaded a midi & it played, but no meters.. I then went to new project, & loaded CoyoteWT, then loaded the same Midi, & it plays but meters move only on track 1 & master meter moves.. all other tracks show the names of the instruments..
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #40
johnnyo

Quote:
Woo hoo,

It sounds like you are sending MIDI into Coyote and it is playing something on MIDI channel 1 and outputting the audio on audio channels 1/2 (showing up on the track's meters) and on then to the Master track.

Does Coyote play multiple sounds at once? I do not know if DXi instruments can have multiple output channels.
Oh, I don't know if Coyote will.. maybe that's the problem.. I'm sorry I'm not versed well enough to know about Coyote.. Maybe I have to go looking for something that will.. I will have to figure out how to get a good version of Sample Tank I guess or another VST that will work.