Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
studer58
Human being with feelings

Default Source destination editing and crossfade editor

Since 2007 (!!).... many requests (regularly) for a 4 point/Source-Destination type of editor similar to that provided by Sequoia or Pyramix, and a meaningful (non-auto) crossfade to support this. Some workarounds have emerged, but nothing which has the speed and convenience of these competing platforms

Some supporting background:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122267

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116213

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=111421
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
lucasharris

Default Hear, hear!

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Put it in the next version, please!

- Lucas Harris
lucasharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
bachstudies

Location: No longer using REAPER and no longer active in the forums.

Yes!! Absolutely! Please please consider it for the next version.
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
airon

Not enough folks wanted this.

Would you like to tell us why you could use it ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #5
studer58

Source Destination editing vastly speeds up the substitution of recorded material in classical music and broadcast editing. Classical musicians do not (usually) play to click tracks, and do not do punch-in recording. Because of this, multiple takes of the same material will generally not be of exactly the same length. Source/destination provides another way of assembling the recorded material into a final product.

Here is a simple example. A live orchestra performance goes well, but in measures 200-204 the violas miss an entrance. Fortunately, they play the passage correctly the following evening, but the conductor prefers the first performance overall. Therefore, the task is to replace measures 200-204 from the first performance with the same measures from the following night. Because the replacement material is not of exactly the same length, it can't be inserted without moving things around. One can do this edit in Reaper, but it requires moving material after measure 204 out of the way, attaching the replacement material, and then reattaching the remainder of the original performance. This is not a very efficient way to work when there may be hundreds of such edits in a typical classical CD project.

Here's how the same job is done using source/destination editing in Sequoia. Designate all tracks of the first performance as destination tracks. Set the destination in-point marker at the beginning of measure 200. Set the destination out-point at the end of measure 204. Designate all tracks of the second performance as source tracks. Set source in-point and out-point markers. Press the four-point cut button. The material between the destination markers is replaced by the material between the source markers. (This is done using default cross-fades, which may be adjusted later using the Sequoia cross-fade editor.) It doesn't matter that the replacement material is of a different length. An integrated Advanced Crossfade Editor allows the edits to be completed quickly and with extreme accuracy.

The way Sequoia does it is outlined here: http://www.magix-audio.com/us/sequoi...s/#productMenu and demonstated in this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-j...L17arTP01mT9NJ

Last edited by studer58; 01-27-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: add video link
Old 01-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
metal_priest

sorry, i just found this topic...i posted something in another thread...i supporting this request too and about the crossfade editor, that's what i wrote in the other thread
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
sangmoklee

I would love to use Source Destination feature. It has been missing from my life for so long, but this will make things so much better for me. On Windows, Pyramix and Sequoia have this feature. On Mac, there are none besides some obsolete solutions.
sangmoklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
MRMJP

Agreed. See my similar thread asking for more mastering focused options from REAPER.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195032

We don't need another "do it with a script" answer. Something native and user friendly is the way to go.

Mac options are much fewer than PC. A modern, great cross-platform option such as REAPER would be very popular.

REAPER is great at many things, but not quite there in this department.

I've found that explaining these things to people that don't need or understand it is very hard.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
snomis79

Would also love this to be added to Reaper!
snomis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
fabi

I want this function too.
Please implement this!!

Is there something new?
fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Gass n Klang

I'm right before buying Pyramix for exactly this feature. So it would be a perfect moment to announce a new crossfade editor an source/destination editing
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
airon

We outlined a lot of ways to pull this off while respecting Reaper methods.

The fade editor itself is just about all they've done so far.

Many times, I could have used a second arrangement view with 4-point editing commands, but there's no dialogue between Cockos and the userbase on this issue. It's one of those things that don't happen, until it does(or may do).

If you depend on a native solution for 4-point editing for any commercial, there's no evidence to indicate Cockos will look in to it. You cannot rely on Cockos in this way. They do urgent fixes quickly, but bigger features look like they're not planned all that much. You can never know when they'll try, and actually they might fail in secret for a long time until they show anything to us.

Move on for now.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #13
cohler
Banned

Default Source destination editing system

I've developed a new complete source-destination editing extension to Reaper and am beta testing now. It basically gives you all the functionality of a Pyramix style system, but faster and easier.
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
Gass n Klang

Exciting news. I wait eagerly to check it out

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 03-11-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 AM   #15
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohler View Post
I've developed a new complete source-destination editing extension to Reaper and am beta testing now. It basically gives you all the functionality of a Pyramix style system, but faster and easier.
Great. This is a case where I'd probably be OK with using a 3rd party script.

I love scripts for getting things done but I have an unwritten rule about using 3rd party scripts to alter the foundation of REAPER so much that a totally stock version of REAPER couldn't open it, I won't use it.

I need to be 100% sure that for as long as REAPER is officially developed, and some years beyond, that I can simply open a session can get back what originally left off with.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 AM   #16
bjohn

Quote:
Great news and I look forward to this as well. I've been using the earlier script described at http://urosbaric.com/reaper-classica...-point-editing, which still works just fine, but something even more efficient would be welcome.

I agree that having something built into Reaper would be ideal; I know what it's like to become dependent on a plugin or external script that is eventually abandoned by its developer. But this is such a useful feature that I don't mind taking the risk for the benefits it provides.

I don't think it's a feature most Reaper users need (or know they could benefit from); it's especially useful in classical music editing although I use it all the time for things like voiceovers, for example. I also do a lot of work on video and film, where three- and four-point editing are essential features so it's a natural desire to have it available for audio too. And Reaper is already a very NLE-like DAW in other respects (e.g., with slip editing, ripple editing, etc.)

S-D editing can be useful in cases where you have multiple takes that were not performed to a click track and where phrases vary in length. It's not a big deal when you just have a few edits to make but when you have a few hundred S-D editing is very efficient.

Last edited by bjohn; 03-12-2019 at 04:54 AM.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
Gass n Klang

Quote:
any progress here?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 AM   #18
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
any progress here?
+1 from us too
Old 04-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #19
kapverden

subscribed and +1
kapverden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
LuCsa

I also strongly support this request! SD-Editing is heavily relied on in "classical" audio production and I'd love to use Reaper for those projects as well!
LuCsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #21
Alexis Baskind

I also agree that it would be a perfect addition to Reaper: currently source/destination editing is the only missing feature that obliges me to go to another DAW when I have to edit classical music (but not only classical). The scripts provided by Pelleke in 2011 are really good, but the workflow is still not that fluid (it cannot be more with scripts).
Alexis Baskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #22
clarkmedia

Default Please develop S/D editing natively in Reaper

I, too, would love to see a native ability to have source-destination editing in Reaper. I've used the scripts for a long while now, but I would love something like what Pyramix or Sequoia can do. It is absolutely essential for classical music editing and producing. Thank you!
clarkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #23
cohler
Banned

Default Source-Destination Classical Music Editing in Reaper

I have built a TOTAL and COMPLETE system for doing Classical Music editing (or really any multi-track acoustic music editing) in Reaper. This includes thousands of lines of code and hundreds of functions, NOT one or two simple scripts.

Anyone interested in being a beta tester, please contact me.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #24
studer58

So, er....did S-D Editing make it into Reaper 6.0 as a Big New Feature ?

Ok....maybe 7.0 then, hey !

See you back here again then in Aug 2022....?
Old 12-06-2019, 04:10 AM   #25
andyp24

OK I'll bite.

Cohler, I'm interested in looking at your system.

FYI I don't do Classical Music editing. I work in broadcast, mainly speech. But the tool I "grew up with" (in DAW terms, anyway - I really grew up with 1/4" tape!!) is SADiE, which is very highly regarded both for classical editing and for speech work, with some of its workflows being great for both even though they're so different conceptually.

If you think I'm not a good candidate for testing your system, fair enough, but I'd be interested in seeing whether any of your solution solves deficiencies in Reaper that I've been hoping to fix.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #26
cohler
Banned

Yes, of course, there is a crossfade editor. Contact me if you are interested in beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
Again, per my other post, please do share the beta with the community or at least some screenshots and workflow descriptions. Unless there is a crossfade editor your "total" and "complete" system for classical audio will still be lacking.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #27
cohler
Banned

I've fixed hundreds of deficiencies and bugs in Reper.

If you are interested in being a beta tester, contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
OK I'll bite.

Cohler, I'm interested in looking at your system.

FYI I don't do Classical Music editing. I work in broadcast, mainly speech. But the tool I "grew up with" (in DAW terms, anyway - I really grew up with 1/4" tape!!) is SADiE, which is very highly regarded both for classical editing and for speech work, with some of its workflows being great for both even though they're so different conceptually.

If you think I'm not a good candidate for testing your system, fair enough, but I'd be interested in seeing whether any of your solution solves deficiencies in Reaper that I've been hoping to fix.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #28
cohler
Banned

If you are interesting in beta testing my new system, contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkmedia View Post
I, too, would love to see a native ability to have source-destination editing in Reaper. I've used the scripts for a long while now, but I would love something like what Pyramix or Sequoia can do. It is absolutely essential for classical music editing and producing. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #29
cohler
Banned

If you are interested in beta testing, contact me.

Quote:
any progress here?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #30
cohler
Banned

I have built a complete system on Reaper for true, better-than-Pyramix, source-destination editing.

If you would like to be a beta tester, write to me on email.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #31
lowellben

I've used Sequoia and Pyramix since 2005 for 100s of classical projects and without 4 point editing I would have offed myself after the first concert.

There is simply nothing as powerful as those two in my experience (I hate Sadie, don't bother lol) so I strongly have doubts about your "complete system". Not because it's impossible for a contender to come along and oust Pyramix but because of how you're presenting it here.

You've created a REAPER based system that rivals and beats Sequoia and Pyramix for crossfades and 4point editings but this is how you launch the "beta"? Swingannamiss.

Good luck though.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #32
cohler
Banned

Default Finally! True Source-Destination Editing and Crossfade Editor in Reaper!!

Announcing Cohler Classical, which is now at beta test version 1.16. Looking for one or two more interested beta testers...

Cohler Classical is a new application built on Reaper and designed from the ground up exclusively for multitrack track-group editing, as is used in classical music, for example. Features include:
  • Source-Destination multi-track track-group editing;
  • Point-click-drag crossfade editor;
  • Automatic track and item grouping;
  • Track-group and project marker system;
  • Redesigned and optimized menu and keyboard shortcut system;
  • More than 350 new functions;
  • Elimination of numerous Reaper limitations, incorrect implementations, and bugs;
  • Markers and automation stick to audio;
  • Playback rate change ripples audio/markers/automation;
  • Multi-track track-group import/export functionality;
  • CUE/WAV/CDT Export for mastering;
  • Multi-track track-group consolidation;
  • Suite of automation functions for detailed balancing;
  • And much more!
Everything you need to do in multitrack track-group editing is just one keystroke or click away with Cohler Classical.

Check out the Quick Start Guide for more details. I will also post a few short demonstration videos soon.

If you are interested in joining our beta test team, contact me directly at cohler@jonathancohler.com. We will take two or three more beta testers.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #33
cohler
Banned

Default Multitrack track-group, source-destination, classical editing!

Introducing...
Cohler Classical

Cohler Classical is a new environment built on Reaper and designed from the ground up exclusively for multitrack track-group editing, as is used in classical music, for example. For anyone who has used Pyramix, Sonic Solutions, Pro-Tools, or Sequoia, and is looking for a faster, customized, and much less expensive option, Cohler Classical is the answer.

Cohler Classical adds 350+ new functions and so much more to Reaper including:
  • Optimized custom menus and shortcuts;
  • Fixed many Reaper bugs and limitations;
  • Markers and automation stick to audio (track-group ripple);
  • Import multitrack audio in one click;
  • Export CUE/WAV/CDT for mastering in one click;
  • And much more!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #34
lowellben

Cool.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #35
Gass n Klang

Wow that looks amazing! Great job. I've got some questions:

1) So you can have more than 9 takes of course, but you organize them with these 9 source tracks right? How do we keep track of our takes? In everyday praxis I make some notes on my sheet about which take was good etc. How should we spread our lets say 50 takes to these 9 tracks? It could be really useful to have some kind of window that shows us a big large take number of the selected take. Having a different color (that is also transmitted to the destination track items) per take could be useful as well
2) Is it possible to temporarily unlink the groups so you can do crossfades based on individual tracks? In my experience this is sometimes helpful.
3) So in praxis we'd use this reaper installation as a second installation for classical editing, right?

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 01-26-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #36
cohler
Banned

Quote:
Wow that looks amazing! Great job. I've got some questions:

1) So you can have more than 9 takes of course, but you organize them with these 9 source tracks right? How do we keep track of our takes? In everyday praxis I make some notes on my sheet about which take was good etc. How should we spread our lets say 50 takes to these 9 tracks? It could be really useful to have some kind of window that shows us a big large take number of the selected take. Having a different color (that is also transmitted to the destination track items) per take could be useful as well
2) Is it possible to temporarily unlink the groups so you can do crossfades based on individual tracks? In my experience this is sometimes helpful.
3) So in praxis we'd use this reaper installation as a second installation for classical editing, right?
1. There are 9 sources and a destination. In real life recording situations, you RARELY have more than 10 takes of any one section, but if you do, you can just use some horizontal layout and markers. No need to take any notes or have log sheets. It takes 5 minutes to layout say 40 takes from a session on 10 minutes of music so that you can visually see everything. With single clicks you can bounce back and forth to audition. The colors go with the track groups not with the individual takes. You can have many takes on a track group. Indeed, you always do.

2. It is possible to unlink groups, but you really DONT want to do that for numerous reasons, the least of which is that it will SOUND BAD.

3. Not a second installation. It's just a configuration file. Two seconds to load.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #37
cohler
Banned

Default Multitrack Track-Group Source-Destination 2, 3 and 4-point edits on Cohler Classical

Introducing...
Cohler Classical
  • See videos below for intro to Cohler Classical, and how-to's on 2, 3, and 4-point edits
  • READ the Quick Start Guide for more details.
  • CONTACT info@cohlerclassical.com with any questions, or if you would like to join our beta test team.

Cohler Classical is the only environment built on Reaper and designed from the ground up exclusively for multitrack track-group editing, as is used in classical music, for example. For anyone who has used Pyramix, Sonic Solutions, Pro-Tools, or Sequoia, and is looking for a faster, customized, and much less expensive option, Cohler Classical is the answer.

Cohler Classical adds 350+ new functions and so much more to Reaper including:
  • Optimized custom menus and shortcuts;
  • Fixed many Reaper bugs and limitations;
  • Markers and automation stick to audio (track-group ripple);
  • Import multitrack audio in one click;
  • Export CUE/WAV/CDT for mastering in one click;
  • And much more!
Old 01-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #38
lowellben

We get it.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:35 AM   #39
Gass n Klang

Quote:
1. There are 9 sources and a destination. In real life recording situations, you RARELY have more than 10 takes of any one section, but if you do, you can just use some horizontal layout and markers. No need to take any notes or have log sheets. It takes 5 minutes to layout say 40 takes from a session on 10 minutes of music so that you can visually see everything. With single clicks you can bounce back and forth to audition. The colors go with the track groups not with the individual takes. You can have many takes on a track group. Indeed, you always do.
Nope. You normally record overlapping parts, so these 10 takes are maximum 5 "real" takes. What do you mean by "horizontal layout and markers"?
Coloring the snippets in the destination track by the item color of the source track would definitly help.
btw: no editing system in the world can replace a pencil and a sheet to make exact notes of intonation, timing, noises etc that happen in a single instrument during a performance. So I wonder how to keep track of all the takes when reordering them to these 9 source tracks.

Quote:
2. It is possible to unlink groups, but you really DONT want to do that for numerous reasons, the least of which is that it will SOUND BAD.
not in all situations. Not only classical music needs classical editing features. Working with big bands for example definitly needs unlinkable groups to cut out some spill in solo passages for example.

Quote:
3. Not a second installation. It's just a configuration file. Two seconds to load.
nice!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #40
cohler
Banned

Quote:
Nope. You normally record overlapping parts, so these 10 takes are maximum 5 "real" takes. What do you mean by "horizontal layout and markers"?
Coloring the snippets in the destination track by the item color of the source track would definitly help.
btw: no editing system in the world can replace a pencil and a sheet to make exact notes of intonation, timing, noises etc that happen in a single instrument during a performance. So I wonder how to keep track of all the takes when reordering them to these 9 source tracks.

not in all situations. Not only classical music needs classical editing features. Working with big bands for example definitly needs unlinkable groups to cut out some spill in solo passages for example.

nice!
Thanks for your thoughtful questions Gass n Klang.
  1. See the screen shot I attached to this post showing multiple overlapping takes for an entire 10-minute Mozart overture. It shows 10 takes for many if not most sections and 9, 8 or 7 for some...

2. As for the pencil and paper, it might be useful in making a rough edit, but not for doing a commercial quality classical CD in which we want the best possible sound/performance on every beat, every phrase, and every measure of the piece. In that case, we need to listen carefully to each take, IN CONTEXT, many times.

A typical high-quality classical CD will have hundreds of edits in 10 minutes of music. By laying the music out horizontally as I show in the attachment, and using the COHLER CLASSICAL one-click navigation system, you can instantaneously bounce between the precise points in the different takes as you are editing and auditioning.

Using pencil and paper instead of this process would DRAMATICALLY slow down the process, and it would not be nearly as high quality a result. Because one cannot possibly make note of all the small details in real time. The music goes by too quickly.

That said, I agree that pencil and paper are, of course, essential for the PRODUCER running the session to make sure that every beat of the music is "covered" so that it can be edited into a perfect end product.

3. COHLER CLASSICAL is designed exclusively for music recorded simultaneously on multiple microphones. It is not designed for click-track recorded individual tracks, or music that you assemble one track at a time. Click-track music is an entirely different animal.

In COHLER CLASSICAL you NEVER want to unlink the groups. All of the music is recorded simultaneously on multiple microphones (that is the basic premise of multitrack track-group editing) and there is "spill" or "leakage" between ALL the microphones throughout the entire recording. You need all of tracks all of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.15.22 AM copy.jpg (57.2 KB, 178 views)