Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Some help with this video...?

Hi all you video gurus.

I've put this video together in Reaper for my new Steel Guitar instrument in Kontakt, and I'd like some feed back from you folks
who really know what Reaper can do with video. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I could make it more interesting, and
professional.

For example, can I fly Kontakt in instead pof dragging it in like I did. Or mabe have it fade in over Reaper's GUI, then fade out
while I fade in the midi editor.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/YHNZIsMWXE0

Incidentally, this will be used as a demo for my new steel guitar.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
EpicSounds

use some automation to zoom in on where you want people to look. I like 0.5 sec transitions with S-curves for zoom and pan.

You can also include some of the performance on the MIDI controller from a couple angles/distances.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
use some automation to zoom in on where you want people to look. I like 0.5 sec transitions with S-curves for zoom and pan.

You can also include some of the performance on the MIDI controller from a couple angles/distances.
Thanks Jon, you've given me some ideas. I've used opacity before but not zoom. So can I like create video of
the Reaper GUI while the song is playing and make it the full length of the video to the end of the music. Then
create a separate video of Kontakt which is the exact same size of Kontakt, and fade that into the Reaper GUI video?

I need to think about how I could use Zoom, it has some real possibilities.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Eliseat

Hi Tod,

if you would like to fly in something like a Kontakt window you would have to make a composite of several videos. That's not as easy as it sounds. But like Jon mentioned, you could instead zoom in and out to parts of your screen if the resolution allows it.

A composite only would make sense if your final video would be more of a documentation. With titles, descriptions, comments and videos of different areas and images to show.

But theoretically you could at least make some tests to start learning something about it. You could record the video twice or three times. Once only the Kontakt window, once only the Mixer and once the whole Reaper arrange view. Every time with the same song from start to end.
You then can line them up on separate tracks in a new video project. And this time the video processor could help you to let the Kontakt window fly or zoom in. Same with the mixer. The way to do it would be crop, pan and zoom from the standard preset.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks Jon, you've given me some ideas. I've used opacity before but not zoom. So can I like create video of
the Reaper GUI while the song is playing and make it the full length of the video to the end of the music. Then
create a separate video of Kontakt which is the exact same size of Kontakt, and fade that into the Reaper GUI video?

I need to think about how I could use Zoom, it has some real possibilities.
Yep you could mostly do that and just overlay the videos (secondary video on top). What I normally do for something similar is pre-stage the fly-in video off screen and/or zoom/opacity etc of zero. Then when you need it, just automate it in and out. Actually, I'm not telling the truth there hehe, I actually just split the video item in reaper so that it doesn't even exist until it's time to show it and automate the zoom/fade in then.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
if you would like to fly in something like a Kontakt window you would have to make a composite of several videos. That's not as easy as it sounds. But like Jon mentioned, you could instead zoom in and out to parts of your screen if the resolution allows it.
Thanks Eliseat and yeah, I got to thinking about that and realized flying it in wouldn't be much different then dragging it in.

Quote:
But theoretically you could at least make some tests to start learning something about it. You could record the video twice or three times. Once only the Kontakt window, once only the Mixer and once the whole Reaper arrange view. Every time with the same song from start to end.
You then can line them up on separate tracks in a new video project. And this time the video processor could help you to let the Kontakt window fly or zoom in. Same with the mixer. The way to do it would be crop, pan and zoom from the standard preset.
I thought about that too, in this case it would be 3 separate videos, all start to finish. Then I guess use the "opacity" to fade from one to the other. I want the video to appear to play the song smoothly from start to finish.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yep you could mostly do that and just overlay the videos (secondary video on top). What I normally do for something similar is pre-stage the fly-in video off screen and/or zoom/opacity etc of zero. Then when you need it, just automate it in and out. Actually, I'm not telling the truth there hehe, I actually just split the video item in reaper so that it doesn't even exist until it's time to show it and automate the zoom/fade in then.
Thanks Karbo, so is it possible for me to make a separate video that captures just the size of Kontakt that can
be faded in anywhere, at any time, over the main video? The main video is full screen (1920 x 1040). That would
be the best scenario if it can be done. I don't have Reaper in front of me now, but I do recollect some x/y
coordinates that might be used to place it.

I've worked a lot with opacity so I pretty much know how to use that. However, I've not actually used zoom, although
I did play around with it yesterday just to see how it works and there might be some good use for that.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks Karbo, so is it possible for me to make a separate video that captures just the size of Kontakt that can
be faded in anywhere, at any time, over the main video? The main video is full screen (1920 x 1040).
If it is static as in not moving around the screen, you can just use the crop processor as far as I know but that probably makes moving/zooming fiddly. Or if your capture program allows it you can define the size as part of the capture but you may have to resize it down in Reaper back to the original dimensions - I think there were some adjustments made to how/if it resizes in a newer version than I have though.

**I'm afraid to blab too much because I use Davinci Resolve for about 80% of my video stuff now which means I could be conflating features between the two and/or unaware of things that have changed in Reaper's video handling since I last used it for something like this. I'm sure the result you want is possible but I could be missing some details without trying it myself. That said, I think the simplest way is to leave the position static, crop out what's around it if needed, then just fade it in/out. Also, if all videos contain the same audio, it should be easy to time-align them via waveform. Currently, I use 4 or more cameras + audio recorder at band practice and have no issue aligning all of them visually via waveforms in each video (unless I get in a hurry and nudge one in post by mistake).

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-16-2018 at 11:02 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
If it is static as in not moving around the screen, you can just use the crop processor as far as I know but that probably makes moving/zooming fiddly. Or if your capture program allows it you can define the size as part of the capture but you may have to resize it down in Reaper back to the original dimensions - I think there were some adjustments made to how/if it resizes in a newer version than I have though.

**I'm afraid to blab too much because I use Davinci Resolve for about 80% of my video stuff now which means I could be conflating features between the two and/or unaware of things that have changed in Reaper's video handling since I last used it for something like this. I'm sure the result you want is possible but I could be missing some details without trying it myself. That said, I think the simplest way is to leave the position static, crop out what's around it if needed, then just fade it in/out. Also, if all videos contain the same audio, it should be easy to time-align them via waveform. Currently, I use 4 or more cameras + audio recorder at band practice and have no issue aligning all of them visually via waveforms in each video (unless I get in a hurry and nudge one in post by mistake).
Thanks again Karbo, I tried the free version of Davinci but could never get it to work the way I wanted it to. I used
Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 for several years and I've got Vegas Pro 14.0, but I hate fiddling with it. I've gotten to
really like Reaper for what I do, which isn't all that sophisticated.

I think I'm just going to combine the 3 videos for now, That will be better then what I've got, and I think be a good
representation for the demo.

Heh heh, What you're doing with all the cameras is beyond me...
Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
karbomusic

Ah, sorry, I wasn't suggesting Davinci for what you are doing, it's totally possible in Reaper. That was just an aside about syncing cameras with waveforms.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
Tod

Okay, I got it pretty well together, however, I was going to zoom in on a section and it gets rather distorted, even
at a value of +1. Is this the way it is? I don't think I'll be able to use it.

Quote:
Ah, sorry, I wasn't suggesting Davinci for what you are doing, it's totally possible in Reaper. That was just an aside about syncing cameras with waveforms.
No problem Karbo, I knew that.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Okay, I got it pretty well together, however, I was going to zoom in on a section and it gets rather distorted, even
at a value of +1. Is this the way it is? I don't think I'll be able to use it.
If you need to zoom larger than the original it will get pixelated or have artifacts. Now, I reduce and sometimes avoid this problem when recording camera video (vs desktop capture) by recording in a resolution much larger than what I'm going to actually use (record 4k, render 1080p) - but when screen capturing your desktop, I don't think that's possible unless there is a way to make the kontakt instance larger when you record it, then zoom to that size or less - assuming I'm understanding since I haven't used Reaper for video in the last month or so, meaning there could be something Reaper related I'm unaware of.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
_Stevie_

Aside from the great tips, I wanted to point out that this is really a great instrument. Seems very playable!
Old 12-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
If you need to zoom larger than the original it will get pixelated or have artifacts. Now, I reduce and sometimes avoid this problem when recording camera video (vs desktop capture) by recording in a resolution much larger than what I'm going to actually use (record 4k, render 1080p) - but when screen capturing your desktop, I don't think that's possible unless there is a way to make the kontakt instance larger when you record it, then zoom to that size or less - assuming I'm understanding since I haven't used Reaper for video in the last month or so, meaning there could be something Reaper related I'm unaware of.
Thanks Karbo, and yeah, I don't think I can do that. It's mainly the text that gets messed up, when I
zoom into the midi editor itself, it's not so bad. I think I'm getting close, I'll post it when I get
it completely done.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Aside from the great tips, I wanted to point out that this is really a great instrument. Seems very playable!
Thanks Stevie, it's actually one of the most intense instruments I've created in Kontakt.

This is a video of a more up tempo song.

https://youtu.be/j_Ypn79rt_s
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #16
Tod

Okay, this is what I came up with in Reaper for the video.

You can see when you zoom in to Kontakt just slightly, the text starts to pix-elate, as Karbo put it. It's not quite so
bad, or noticable, zooming in on the Midi Editor itself.

I don't know, do you think it's kind of cheezy, did I get carried away?

https://youtu.be/JEeMZuaC54I

Last edited by Tod; 12-21-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #17
karbomusic

I probably made a bad word choice to say pixelated, probably interpolation/aliasing instead, either way, it degrades the way it looks. I don't think it is terrible, the main issue I see is making it harder to read the text in Kontakt.

Enlarging like this and potential artifacts sort of comes with the territory. Have you tried zooming by an evenly divisible amount? For example going from 100% to 125%. That might make it a tiny bit better.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
Tod

Quote:
I probably made a bad word choice to say pixelated, probably interpolation/aliasing instead, either way, it degrades the way it looks. I don't think it is terrible, the main issue I see is making it harder to read the text in Kontakt.

Enlarging like this and potential artifacts sort of comes with the territory. Have you tried zooming by an evenly divisible amount? For example going from 100% to 125%. That might make it a tiny bit better.
Thanks much Karbo, heh heh, I didn't know what else to call it so pix-elate sounded good to me.

The zoom goes from 0 to 10 and I've got it at .60 so I guess that would be 6.0%. It's so little, I might
be better off not zooming it.

Did the zooming in the midi editor look okay, I was just trying to make it a little more interesting.
I was also trying to show the velocities, but I don't think anyone will notice that. Towards the end
I zoomed in close to the vibrato CC controllers, but it's doubtful anyone will correlate that either.