Old 05-26-2019, 04:30 AM   #1
audiotect
Human being with feelings

Default Flux Spat revolution - any users?

Hi
I’ve been using Flux Spat Revolution with Reaper for more than a year now, done a major project (and some smaller ones)for a museum (Moesgaard Museum) in Denmark
We had the exhibition running for a year at Moesgaard Museum, Aarhus and now we move the exhibition to the National Museum, Copenhagen (june - september 2019).

The experience has been very problematic, many time-consuming issues.
I think (but don’t know for sure) that most of the issues is related to Spat R.

At the moment I hear nothing from Flux...

So I’m seeking other users of Spat R, preferable ones working with Spat R and Reaper but anyone with experience with Spat R with any DAW are welcome to join in.
I will later today provide information about my main issues and but also workarounds etc.

Best Regards
Søren Bendixen
audiotect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
JHughes
Banned

Wow, seems like you'd get support for a $1900 software.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
audiotect

Yeah
They have been very helpful - sometimes...
But most of the time i had to wait many weeks for a reply. At the
Moment it’s more than 4 four weeks
And the last time they said they didn’t understand my problem
Reaper and Spat R should work fine..well
As a customer You just feel like; okay then I’m stupid
Okay fine, but tell what i’m doing wrong then..?

/Søren
Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
JHughes
Banned

Flux is a "high-end" developer, I would expect more from them.

You're the first person I've seen mention this particular software on this forum.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
potscrubber

Hi Søren
I can't help you with Spat R sorry, but I did sound design & development on a long running touring installation utilising the original Spat. We ran into many issues and spent much time in workarounds, but got there in the end with dogged persistence. When I saw the Spat R release a feeling swept over me part curiosity and part fear! It's my belief that (among other things) Flux use very unweildy GUI libraries that drag their products down. I would just encourage you to be really polite and assetive with v. good documentation of bugs and demand the support you deserve. Use the time zone to your advantage and get in touch every other day. They are famous for short bursts of communication and then glaciers of complete silence. But early adoptors of this product deserve better. Good luck, and get stuck into them!
Simon

Last edited by potscrubber; 07-26-2023 at 10:01 PM. Reason: bad link
potscrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
audiotect

Hi Simon
wow, what a project you did.
And thanks for your advise.
It´s scary to hear about their customer service, but then they just makes everybody feeling F..ked up, not just me..

I haven´t been rude, but sometimes it gets a bit emotional - you have an exhibition opening - this program can do everything you need - and all the simple things just don´t work.
If it GUI related it even more crazy.

What DAW did you use? - Reaper I guess..
I have several other FLux plug ins like, Syrah, Pure Limiter etc and its fine working.

I´ll keep contacting them (I don´t have time for this game)
but if you are into "live" immersive sound you might know of any other stuff that can do immersive work - not (just) headphones but in real spaces.
I´ve been checking out The sound of the Mountation (https://mntn.rocks/production-suite)
and Sound Trajectory, Nuendo, and are now looking into Pro Tools Ultimate.
None of these programs seems to be able to do what SPAT R. Can do, if just...

A bit of insight in my issues,

Problems arise out of the blue air.
For example: After two weeks of unproblematic work, SPAT R.udden suddenly begins to open sessions where all inputs / sends are disabled. At the same time, it has made a new version of all inputs / sends and outputs - active - that means all routed inputs are dead, I can't do anything but delete them (they can't be reactivated - that feature doesn't exist) and I must re-route all inputs by using the new active inputs / outputs that SPAT R has made. Some times it makes THREE versions of the same.
It is simply the pure madness.

When I reroute, all information goes back to default except those I have programmed / automated in Reaper. Ie my workaround is to automate everything in Reaper. Then maybe it takes only an hour to one and a half to re-establish my session ...

Sync is another problem. The program loses very easy sync. In some cases it is not a problem, in others it is.
You can run a room (ie the area where you make your speaker arrangement) but I need three and then it goes out of sync. and becomes very heavy - which is the third problem that I have to run with crazy high buffersizes for it not to stall.

In addition, there are a lot of minor issues that, have taken a long time to spot, to get done, if possible, workarounds on - document to Flux and then wait for an answer. They have made one update that has helped a little. But for example, they made a "clear shared memory" that had to clear up the problem of double up of inputs (sends / Outputs - does not work.

Søren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Double ins:outs - routed disabled).jpg (49.4 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg Tripple ins:outs).jpg (60.5 KB, 653 views)

Last edited by audiotect; 05-31-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotect View Post
Hi
I’ve been using Flux Spat Revolution with Reaper for more than a year now, done a major project (and some smaller ones)for a museum (Moesgaard Museum) in Denmark
We had the exhibition running for a year at Moesgaard Museum, Aarhus and now we move the exhibition to the National Museum, Copenhagen (june - september 2019).

The experience has been very problematic, many time-consuming issues.
I think (but don’t know for sure) that most of the issues is related to Spat R.

At the moment I hear nothing from Flux...

So I’m seeking other users of Spat R, preferable ones working with Spat R and Reaper but anyone with experience with Spat R with any DAW are welcome to join in.
I will later today provide information about my main issues and but also workarounds etc.

Best Regards
Søren Bendixen
I have been using it for a while. I haven’t found any other spatialization software that comes close but there are certainly some serious issues with the software. It really feels like beta software (if that) and the price is insane. Very few updates... and thus far no activity on the beta list that I was supposedly put on. Just the fact that you can close the ui and lose everything without being prompted to save is one of those “really?” issues. But they seem like a good group just may need to grow a bit to support such a huge product. I haven’t gotten the impression that it is dead by any means.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
audiotect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
I have been using it for a while. I haven’t found any other spatialization software that comes close but there are certainly some serious issues with the software. It really feels like beta software (if that) and the price is insane. Very few updates... and thus far no activity on the beta list that I was supposedly put on. Just the fact that you can close the ui and lose everything without being prompted to save is one of those “really?” issues. But they seem like a good group just may need to grow a bit to support such a huge product. I haven’t gotten the impression that it is dead by any means.
Cool
Your experience is right up my alley.
And yes, They are very nice and dedicated people, but the issues are in danger of overshadowing the greatness of the program., My deadlines are completely fixed and I need to work fast and without issues coming form other than me f...ing up.
Compared to other similar programs I actually think it´s user friendly and I work in really odd settings, and I can do it all, but then...crash, bang.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:37 AM   #9
uksnowy

Søren er du på Sjælland eller Jylland. Jeg bor op i vestjylland. Smuk musik du laver.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:41 AM   #10
audiotect

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
Søren er du på Sjælland eller Jylland. Jeg bor op i vestjylland. Smuk musik du laver.
Hej Uksnowy (øh..) mange tak - jeg gør mit bedste :-)
Jeg bor på og arbejder fra Djursland.

MVh
Søren
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #11
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotect View Post
Hej Uksnowy (øh..) mange tak - jeg gør mit bedste :-)
Jeg bor på og arbejder fra Djursland.

MVh
Søren
Jeps, jeg er en udlander fra UK. Jeg boede tidligere i Hornslet tilbage 13 & 14, så jeg kender Djusrland lidt.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:52 AM   #12
sakitatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Yes! I've the same feeling... I'm thinking if buying it or not (not the full price one, but the educational / academic version). I've written them two times for these bugs and crashes: no replies at all -no support with this price?
I've written some of this problems under a their tutorial in youtube, too, but no reply.
So: they aren't giving any support and they don't check the comments on their videos. Very professional.....

In theese days I'm writing a memo with does and don'ts in order to avoid crashes. With it's going better...
sakitatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #13
audiotect

Maybe we should share does/dontt?
I´ll try an collect mine and put them up here

busy now though...

BEst
Søren
Old 05-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
sakitatu