Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #401
wwjd
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
how do I install this in Reaper?
I just unzip things into my REAPER \ PLUGINS into their own directory.
open new VSTI track, SCAN FOR NEW things and there ya go
wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #402
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
As a follow up to mabian, is this the organ stuff your talking about?

--- Vintage emulations and stuff ---
- NubiLE (with SpinnerLE): one of the best free B3-emulations -
- Rumpelrausch AZR3: for the more gritty organ stuff -

I can't find anything that seems to be related to a leslie or is it included with these?
It's included, I underlined it in your quote above
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #403
Orion User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
That is exactly the other side of this, and I'm intrigued as to how a channel strip could actually be of advantage in certain scenarios. Using Orion there is that limitation of two inserts per channel but in Reaper we can build our dedicated channels strips with FX-chains included so there it begs the question.

Maybe we should start a new topic in the recording techniques forum: Why would I use a channelstrip plugin instead of my own FX-chain
you have unlimted inserts in Orion with FX holders, FYI
Orion User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #404
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion User View Post
you have unlimted inserts in Orion with FX holders, FYI
The FX-container holds only 4 inserts so after that you are going to need to nest them. That is a workaround that is not really useful when mixing with complex FX-chains. Too much clicking around. Fortunately the upcoming Orion v8 will have a few more inserts here and there

However, Reaper-users have access to unlimited inserts, drag-drop reorder of inserts and the option to cascade VSTi-instruments on a mixerstrip for very easy layering of sounds. Take it from me that in this area Orion has nothing over Reaper.

Funny though, you registered here on the forum as 'orion user' and your first post is in here to tell what Orion can do. So what is your interest in Reaper?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #405
technogremlin

OK, back to the topic at hand.

I found that EFM has all his legacy plugins back online for download again:
http://www.ele4music.com/?page_id=55

Lots of emulations of old hardware including a Korg Delta. I remembered to have seen that plugin but couldn't find it anymore. I used to have Korg Delta so I love to have an emu of that one. Have to install it yet to hear how it does sound-wise but just to be sure I downloaded all his VSTi plugs before they disappear again
Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #406
Orion User

Quote:
The FX-container holds only 4 inserts so after that you are going to need to nest them. That is a workaround that is not really useful when mixing with complex FX-chains.
really? i found it very useful

Quote:

Funny though, you registered here on the forum as 'orion user' and your first post is in here to tell what Orion can do.
an as an orion user, obviously i know a bit about orion, hence my reply.

i wouldnt say that correcting mis-information was funny, you obviously have a strange sense of humour
Old 05-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #407
technogremlin

Quote:
an as an orion user, obviously i know a bit about orion, hence my reply.

i wouldnt say that correcting mis-information was funny, you obviously have a strange sense of humour
It's not misinformation as I'm very much aware of the capabilities of Orion. I'm a long time Orion user myself so I do know what I'm talking about.

What I meant by funny is that you didn't come here with questions, suggestions or whatever in regard to using Reaper; you come in here to set us straight about Orion. Well, wake up, nobody here is interested in that.

If you like to discuss Orion with me, feel free to do so in the right place: I'm active on the Orion forums (both of them ) and on KVR in the relevant topics. If you are a real orion-user you should be active there as well

However, if you are interested in using Reaper and to get started with it, this community is more then willing to help you to get and running. The Reaper forum is just about the most friendly community I ever came across. Btw, did you know you can rewire Orion into Reaper
Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #408
zoid9

Quote:

Lots of emulations of old hardware including a Korg Delta. I remembered to have seen that plugin but couldn't find it anymore. I used to have Korg Delta so I love to have an emu of that one. Have to install it yet to hear how it does sound-wise but just to be sure I downloaded all his VSTi plugs before they disappear again
Here's my take on the EFM stuff.(If anyone really cares.)

AXEII Crashing
D-String Crashing
Micromodular Can't say why just yet, but....
Synthia2 Like the weirdness.
Hyperwave Sounds great, but eats up CPU.
JX8p Emu
Some of the other stuff is just plain crap, but I haven't got to it all yet.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #409
steadyrev

They're all working here!
[ in Minihost]
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #410
Orion User

Quote:
It's not misinformation as I'm very much aware of the capabilities of Orion.
maybe everyone else doesnt, so its best not to mis-inform

Quote:
I'm a long time Orion user myself
i notice you dont list Orion in your sig here, but you do at KvR, any reason for that?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #411
technogremlin

Quote:
i notice you dont list Orion in your sig here, but you do at KvR, any reason for that?
Yep, it's not relevant on this forum (FYI, it was listed in my sig here as well, together with more stuff, but had to truncate because of a change in forum policy re the length of a sig).

Let's leave it at that, as this is not an Orion-related topic. As I said before, you can contact me on the relevant forums about that
Old 05-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #412
zoid9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrev View Post
They're all working here!
[ in Minihost]
They all work fine for me with TobyBear as well, but I only use that for building FXBs.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #413
wwjd

Quote:

WOW quite a pile there! Before I mess with them, are they good and different or do they all sound the same just with different interfaces?

Q2: do they resemble at all the gear they are trying to emulate? Since I don't own the gear I won't be able to tell
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #414
technogremlin

Ooooh man, this is not good, not good at all... how am I going to get my list cut down to size this way:

Don't get fooled by the UI, it may look like a (early) SE-synth but it's natively coded. Going from the two demotracks posted on the site this thing sound to good to not try it out. From the demotracks to me it has a very Roland-ish analog sound to it. OK, off to the studio to try some stuff

Before I forget; http://www.fullbucket.de/music/vst.html
Old 05-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #415
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaobgb View Post
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, I've recently changed from PTMP to Reaper, and after some years using RTAS I've now been searching for some good freeware VSTs, and in my opinion these don't compromisse in any way my mixes when used with other plugins I have.
Hi Jaobgb, that's a great list too. I would add to that and Technogremlin's main list:

Compressors
Vanilla Compressor - ChunkWare (Sweet)
MjMultibandCompressor - Smartelectronix (GUI-less, but with mGUI there's one here)
Compressive - Martin Eastwood Audio: Does side-chain.

Reverbs
Ariesverb Alpha - AriesCode: By FAR the best free reverb imo
Tila (the original 1, not Tila2)

Analysers, Meters
Inspector - Roger Nichols

Filters
Minion - Devine Machine
Delta filter - ExpDigital

Limiters
W1 Limiter - George Yohng
TLs Pocket Limiter - TbT

Jury is still out on EQ, but Nyquist, NWEQ, IIEQ, ElectriQ and Free Queue are top so far, though just discovered IQ4 before you mentioned it. Then of course there's Nebula with some very sweet hi end stuff.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #416
V'ger

As for those looking for organs, have you tried Efthimia?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #417
wwjd

Quote:
Ooooh man, this is not good, not good at all... how am I going to get my list cut down to size this way:
hahahahah yeah, man! You are not helping yourself here.

Here's how I see it:

there are THE GO TO plugs, like in your list and maybe a few others

then there is the SPARE BUCKET plugs, really good ones that are not in the top 3 of each catagory

then there is the POS pile that you try once and delete ASAP

You should split your oroginal post into: CREAM OF THE CROP, and under all those a "Runners up" list to track really good ones that didn't make the top list for whatever reason.

That's my idea anyway.
Don't worry about links for the runners up, just get the name/maker right and we should be able to google them.

I like that others are posting THEIR goto list. Always something new and interesting to find
Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #418
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
Hi Jaobgb, that's a great list too. I would add to that and Technogremlin's main list:
I'll take your suggestions into account

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
As for those looking for organs, have you tried Efthimia?
Yep, but choose for Nubi. Try them side by side; they sound almost identical (even have several identical presets ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
then there is the SPARE BUCKET plugs, really good ones that are not in the top 3 of each catagory
You're not helping here either

Quote:
You should split your oroginal post into: CREAM OF THE CROP, and under all those a "Runners up" list to track really good ones that didn't make the top list for whatever reason.
That's the plan anyway. Especially as some plugins are being mentioned by several people and therefor deserve to be mentioned in the OP anyway.

Quote:
I like that others are posting THEIR goto list. Always something new and interesting to find
Agreed, so everyone keep 'm coming. If appropriate then stuff will be included in the OP

Old 05-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #419
dub tree

there's probably significant overlap here regarding what's on your list and what you've tried, but i love freeware so much that i thought i'd post my go-to list here. i've been on a similar mission, trying to cut down my tool set so i have exactly what i need without bloat...(this is not counting ReaPlugs, which are pretty essential to my workflow)

EQ: Electri-Q Posihfopit
Filter: TAL Filter
Dynamics: TbT TLS-3127-LEA, Bootsie Density mkII
Transients: DigitalFishPhones Dominion
Distortion: AudioDamage FuzzPlus2, iZotope Vinyl, JB Ferox
Delay: ArcDev ET-301, Kjaerhus Classic, Elogoxa Elottronix-XL, GVST GRevDly
Amplifiers: SimulAnalog JCM900 & Rednef Twin, Voxengo Boogex
Modulation: Kjaerhus Classic Chorus/Flanger/Phaser, Simulanalog Univibe
Reverb: Magnus Ambience (ok, it's donationware...), TAL Reverb-II
Synth: Fuzzpilz Oatmeal, TAL-Bassline & UNO-62
Keys: ERS LazySnake, EmptySquare NuBi LE
Drumsynth: TactileSounds TS-808
Sampler: RGC SFZ (not sfz+)
Misc: Bram SupaTrigga, Bootsie Rescue, Voxengo SPAN, TbT SampleReducer

of course I've got a few extras that i've been trying here and there lately, that might find their way into my permanent folder (NastyVCS, EpicVerb, GlueReeds, CrazyDiamonds, BootEQ MkII, daHornet, ShortCircuit, TAL-Vocoder, Crystal)
so... with that, plus Addictive Drums, MrRay73 MkII, a few ReaPlugs and JS effects, I can get pretty much any sound I would ever want.

hahaha... looking back, it seems my list is kind of bloated.

so why, oh why is it that i still wander aimlessly around the internet looking for plugins to try, instead of making music?!?!?! (shiite, don't even get me started in free IRs and samples... i've got several GB and always want more!)
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #420
technogremlin

I tried the EFM-plugs and I must say I'm very underwhelmed. Nothing i there for me.

That Blooo synth however is quite good. A real bread-and-butter synthesizer with a very good filter. This one might stay but I still have to test it side-by-side with Synth1 to see if it actually adds something to my sonic arsenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub tree View Post
hahaha... looking back, it seems my list is kind of bloated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
I collected all the Hammond organ simulators mentioned in this thread, plus a few more, along with a handful of rotating speaker VST's. I look forward to actually trying them all now that I've aggregated them.
Not to rain on your parade, but redistributing plugins this way is not legal, even for free ones. You must have permission from the original devs to do so

So I advice you to remove those links from your message.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 AM   #421
technogremlin

Did some more minor reorganizing in the OP (added a section for vocal-tools).

I used to use a plugin called FreeInspector to do some monitoring on my master-buss. While searching for an active download link I found that apparently the company who made it went bust and the full version has been set free (the 'free' version seems completely gone). So I added Inspector to the OP with a link to a download page. The download there is an installer, I checked it for virusses and it's clean. Have it installed so I can acknowledge that it is indeed the full version and not some old demo floating around the net

Talking about measurement: what free spectrum-analyzer do you think is the best and why. I think right now Span2 has the best cards but what do you think. And if you know other measurement-tools we can include (for example stereoscopes) then let me know.

Stuff I already have: Span/Span2, Sonogram SG1, PSP-vintagemeter, NuGen Visualiser (free edition), BlueCat FreqAnalyst, Fre(a)koscope, MultiInspectorFree and MidiMonitorFX.

Let me know if you use any of these and why you choose that one.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #422
bladerunner

Quote:
That Blooo synth however is quite good. A real bread-and-butter synthesizer with a very good filter. This one might stay but I still have to test it side-by-side with Synth1 to see if it actually adds something to my sonic arsenal.
i just tried this synth and i immediately got stuck notes and some kind of overload in the vu that causes clicks and feedback sounds. it has only just been released so i guess there may be a few bugs that need ironing out.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #423
wwjd

Inspector has been my goto plug for years mostly because it is cross platform: MAC, Win, ProTools. I get it installed where ever I mix so I already understand and can read everything at a glance. If not there, I uses Reaper FFT EQ plug but I don't enjoy the interface as much as Inspector
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #424
technogremlin

I had that behavior in Orion but it works fine here in Reaper. It works in vstHost as well here so maybe you can test that. Just tested it in tobybear's minihost (while writing this) and it works there too.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #425
V'ger

No trouble in Reaper here either. It has nice modulation parameters and sounds interesting.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #426
mabian

I'm using span v1 and prefer it over span2 because it's much simpler to use and understand (especially to get overlapped left and right signals).

I also think it could be worth checking this:

http://rekkerd.org/seven-phases-upda...yzer-to-v1-04/

Cheers,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #427
mabian

... and, reaper only (or other hosts if using reaplugs reajs) there are some cool measurement tools in JS folder, for example goniometer.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #428
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
I also think it could be worth checking this:

http://rekkerd.org/seven-phases-upda...yzer-to-v1-04/
Aaaah, thanks for that link. I have that one but didn't know where it came from

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
... and, reaper only (or other hosts if using reaplugs reajs) there are some cool measurement tools in JS folder, for example goniometer.
Will have to check those out as well then
Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #429
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub tree View Post
Reverb: Magnus Ambience (ok, it's donationware...), TAL Reverb-II
Ambience is brilliant and the one I use the most too, but as you say not freeware alas..
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #430
JHughes
Banned

For signal analysis take a look at MicroSchope http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=31.

(BTW, previous links removed.)
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #431
technogremlin

Quote:
For signal analysis take a look at MicroSchope http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=31.
Not freeware though

Quote:
(BTW, previous links removed.)
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #432
JHughes
Banned

Dammit, I thought it was free, like Bitter. Sorry.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #433
brainwreck

Quote:
Dammit, I thought it was free, like Bitter. Sorry.
span is really good, imo.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #434
technogremlin

Span is the one I use myself so far. But it seems that Span2 is capable of showing multiple channels in one window. I've been looking for a solution that let me do pre/post measurements within one window (i.e. overlay mode). I asked here on the forum before and Schwa gave me an example how to do it with Schope. Should be possible with Span2 as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #435
wwjd

k ima just throw this out there:

BEST FREE PIANO VST?

what do you guys think?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #436
brainwreck

Quote:
k ima just throw this out there:

BEST FREE PIANO VST?

what do you guys think?
sfz and giga piano soundfont (it's 16 mb, btw).

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-24-2010 at 11:34 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #437
gibi25

with SFZ, try this:
http://sonimusicae.free.fr/matshelgesson-maestro.html.
the bank is huge, but sounds great..
maybe the best ever.
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #438
wwjd

wow excellent! Thanks! I'll check them out. 2 I didn't ever run accross in my searching
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #439
V'ger

Does SFZ load Giga files?

MDA Piano is also pretty good, and amazing if you think it's modelling with no samples. Uses virtually no CPU either.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #440
wwjd

yeah, how to load GIG files? I found Meastro Giga Piano or something that is freeware. and does the SF player work in Reaper somehow?

otherwise best free pianos I found were from SAFWAN
http://download.dontcrack.com/safwan_matni/
GENERAL and PROVA Pianos sound pretty good