Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 assign audio to different outputs ?

I have an RME 9652 and want to have windows 7 use channels 3&4 for normal audio playback. I have opened control panel / sound but playback only lets me pick.
ADAT(1-8) and not specific channels 3&4. Is there a way ?

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I have an RME 9652 and want to have windows 7 use channels 3&4 for normal audio playback. I have opened control panel / sound but playback only lets me pick.
ADAT(1-8) and not specific channels 3&4. Is there a way ?
I don't think you can do that. Most Windows apps just default to the first 2 outputs and are not configurable. You're better off configuring Reaper and other audio apps to something other than 1+2. ADAT channels are strictly digital, so likely won't connect to your monitors.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
domzy

is that a hammerfall dsp card? If so you can configure WDM devices in the hammerfall dsp settings
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Coachz

It is hammerfall but all is see is groupings of 8 for each of my 2 digimax fs units.

Coachz Repo
Old 03-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
domzy

that's because you have your WDM device set to "multi-channel", it should work if you select "stereo"
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Coachz

Thanks so much. I got it working ! I even renamed the "Speakers" to each channel pair to make it intuitive. I also didn't know there was a manual for the drivers

https://www.rme-audio.de/download/wi...driver_4_e.pdf

Coachz Repo
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Coachz

This helps a lot. To explain a bit more. I have 3 typical apps, Reaper, Foobar 2000 mp3 player and Chrome/Youtube. I have my amp cranked for Reaper but always had to go in the win7 mixer and turn chrome and foobar and whatever else way down to keep from scaring me.

Whenever I opened a new app I could easily be blown away if I didn't find it in the win7 mixer and turn it down. This new way lets me put Reaper on 1&2, Foobar on 3&4 and win7 control panel on 4&5. Now I have mixer levels set in totalmix and this will be much more predictable. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

In the image below Chrome is turned down but now it is UP all the way as is everything else in win7 mixer.

Coachz Repo
Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:

ey- when you click 'configure' - how many speaker outputs do you see for the win mixer? just stereo or,upto 7.1? (8channels) ?

if your asio is multioutput,,then they will seperate outputs to win default speaker arrangement settings apparently...if your asio is multichannel,but only stereo anolog output pair,that's all 1 will get..2 channels of analog (all asio being mixed to stereo)

most media players use wave drivers,as far i know,and some media players can have individual,seperated speakers from win mix master ..outputs to another soundcard as well..
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Coachz

stereo pair fixed me up because now they are in pairs so I can pick one pair for win7 control panel sound, a different pair in foobar prefs output and another pair in reaper and have different mix levels for each in totalmix.

Coachz Repo
Old 03-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
SonicAxiom

while we're at talking about routing different signals to different RME ADAT stereo pairs: using one or multiple instances of "Voxengo Recoder" in different Reaper tracks or in the master track, you can route those signals to different audio devices! The plugin allows you to "bypass" Reaper's main audio device defined in the audio device prefs and enables you to output audio via multiple other devices! Route Reaper audio (tracks, master) to another interface's outputs or to other applications by setting the "Recorder" plugin to use a "virtual audio cable".

maybe a little off-topic but I thought it was worth mentioning for those who didn't know

Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 AM   #11
Coachz

Can voxengo recorder record from windows primary sound device?

Coachz Repo
Old 03-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
SonicAxiom

it is designed to capture the signal of a track and either record it as a wave file or to route that signal to one of the system's audio devices (any device that is accessible via MME). There's a bit of latency, tweakable by the user inside its gui. It can only capture audio that is output from a track and not get audio from somewhere into Reaper. Grab a free copy and try it out.