Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #1
daeavelwyn
Human being with feelings

Default optimize Reaper to replace Vienna Ensemble Pro

Hi all,

Ok, so, almost is in the title, I'd like to set reaper as a VST host I could let running as VST host (like Vienna Ensemble Pro) and run another Reaper instance I could use as normal film scoring DAW.

I own a version of Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 and it really works well, but i can't set some options I'd like to fit better to my needs.

So, for now, following this post :http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...53&postcount=6 I succeed in having 2 reapers instances and I can make communication between them with LoopMIDI.

Everything works fine, except I have dropout due to the latency I set (6.3ms). So I'd like to improve the communication between the 2 reaper instances to remove those dropout without increasing the latency.

I wonder if LoopMIDI is the right solution as it seems the dropout comes from the delay in the communication between the 2 reaper instances.

Of course, I've to mentioned that this latency creates no dropout with vienna ensemble pro, so I guess with just some tweaks I could have the same with reaper.

I tried project tabs, but i'd like to set "VST host" instance of reaper to look different from the "normal DAW" instance, so I really need 2 reaper instances.

I also tried reastream, but MIDI communication just doesn't work (audio works fine). Reamote isn't an option as it supposes to have the same installation on both server and client and I'd like a more flexible system (mainly because i will use many computers but that's the next step ).

So I ask you guys if you can post here your ideas to improve performances and remove dropout. Of course if you can afford a better solution, i'll take it !

Thanks for your tips
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
daeavelwyn

Replying to myself, here are others tests I made :

- Trying multiple virtual midi cable (LoopBe1, LoopMIDI)
- Trying to put processus in RealTime (reaper.exe reaper2.exe and LoopBe1)
- Succeed in using reastream (I had to put 0 channel to send MIDI)
- Increasing latency doesn't solve the problem at all (so it's not a latency issue) :-/
- Tryning rewire, but having slave INTO the host isn't a good option for me
- Tryning deeper ReaRoute, but definitively not fit to my needs

So, nothing change the fact I still have cracking sound (xruns or something like that).

.... Still no suggestions ?

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 11-21-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
daeavelwyn

New tests !

Ok, now I can figure quite better where the problem comes from, so I post here for people having the same kind of issue.

The new tests consists in using 2 tabs. One with midi tracks another as vst host with reasynth. I follow this video to set my tabs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-kdzlu9QY

I try first with reasynth (to avoid eventualy errors from kontakt). It works.
Try then with kontakt : it works...

So both work but with a huge latency.

Conclusion ? The problem probably comes from 2 instances of reaper sharing the same ASIO driver configuration.

So, you will say : "there is a option for that called ReaRoute that let you have a master ASIO and an ASIO host (with Rearoute)." ...

Reaper main (ASIO native driver)
|
--> MIDI virtual cable OR reastream
|
--> reaper vst host (rearoute Asio driver)
|
--> Send back audio produce by reaper host to reaper main

It works but I still get little cracks (like sometimes latency made, but changing the letancy has no influence).

Some help would really be appreciate