Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
celfyn
Human being with feelings

Default Full speed off line render

Could someone explain the pros and cons between Full-speed off-line, 1 x offline, and on-line render please?
The manual doesn't seem to cover it and I can't find it in the forum.
Up till now I've always used 1 x offline on the assumption that although slower, there will be less degradation of quality, it would be nice to understand what I should be doing rather than guessing.

Thanks.
celfyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
stupeT

Offline full speed is very fast, in fact just limited by your processor and bus or drive speed. But I found out that many of my MIDI related VSTi freak out in that mode. Lost notes or simply wrong sounds. I can use this fast mode for wave files only. Thats why I tend to stem render all MIDI related stuff to wave.

1x online on the other hand always rendered fine with my projects. But rendering takes just as long as the song is in real. Hence 1x.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
celfyn

Ok, thanks, I thought there had to be a drawback. Any idea what online render is/does?

Another problem I've got, slightly off topic, my CD writer doesn't seem to be working at the moment, if I render in CUE/BIN format is there a way to take the cue and bin files to a friend's PC and get him to burn those to a CD without using Reaper?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
kindafishy

Full speed offline can also be used if your system is taxed to heavily to render in realtime (like if you have many plugins going and a very high CPU load on an older machine). It will end up rendering at 0.Nx, but you don't get audio dropouts and other problems.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Tallisman

I believe that the "online" option is used if you want to include sounds coming from stand-alone midi instruments.

Any burning software that is cue/bin aware should be able to burn those file properly. But for good measure, you could simply copy your reaper installation to that USB stick/drive and take your reaper with you.

Greetings
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
celfyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post

Any burning software that is cue/bin aware should be able to burn those file properly. But for good measure, you could simply copy your reaper installation to that USB stick/drive and take your reaper with you.

Greetings
.t
Thanks for that, but i have a limited amount of time on my friends PC (lunch break) and my project at 1 x offline will take 44 minutes to render. Is there a way to get to the 'burn CD' dialogue in Reaper, without going through the render dialogue first?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
Offline full speed is very fast, in fact just limited by your processor and bus or drive speed. But I found out that many of my MIDI related VSTi freak out in that mode. Lost notes or simply wrong sounds. I can use this fast mode for wave files only. Thats why I tend to stem render all MIDI related stuff to wave.

1x online on the other hand always rendered fine with my projects. But rendering takes just as long as the song is in real. Hence 1x.
I always render my virtual instruments to WAV. I then mute the midi channel. That way I have the sound I want in the archive and don't have to worry about finding some freebie synth I had 5 years and 2 DAWS ago to recreate it.
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
I always render my virtual instruments to WAV. I then mute the midi channel. That way I have the sound I want in the archive and don't have to worry about finding some freebie synth I had 5 years and 2 DAWS ago to recreate it.
...another good reason to do that, indead.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by celfyn View Post
Thanks for that, but i have a limited amount of time on my friends PC (lunch break) and my project at 1 x offline will take 44 minutes to render. Is there a way to get to the 'burn CD' dialogue in Reaper, without going through the render dialogue first?
That is a good question. Alas! I am not near my daw so I am unable to figure that out.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote