Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #41
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I finally had a crack at the demo and HOT DAMN! Sounds amazing. GUI is very clear and readable.

I'm comparing it to Waves J37, AR Chambers, Reel ADT, and U-he Satin. Clearly I'm looking for a tape delay that does the Beatles/Pink Floyd doubling, flanging, and phasing stuff. The STEED effect is tough to replicate properly. I just love that sound.

I wasn't able to find any Beatle-specific presets in the Valhalla, but I'm sure there are. Before I drop the $50 (not sure if there's currency exchange breaks), could anyone confirm this for me?
If you want to know how to create specific sounds (and you are too impatient to experiment for yourself) then check out the KVR forum and ask the users. You may get a response from the man himself.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=146
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #42
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
If you want to know how to create specific sounds (and you are too impatient to experiment for yourself) then check out the KVR forum and ask the users. You may get a response from the man himself.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=146
Well, it's just that I've found the Waves stuff has the exact sounds on preset. I really like AR Chambers, but it crashed Reaper three times in a row as I was demoing it.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #43
Softsynth

Quote:
Well, it's just that I've found the Waves stuff has the exact sounds on preset. I really like AR Chambers, but it crashed Reaper three times in a row as I was demoing it.
Well I suggest you open the preset you like, without opening anything else on an empty track (to stop it crashing), check out the settings and that should give you a broad idea what to dial in within another similar plugin. It won't be exactly the same but it will get you some of the way there.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #44
kirk1701

Quote:
Well I suggest you open the preset you like, without opening anything else on an empty track (to stop it crashing), check out the settings and that should give you a broad idea what to dial in within another similar plugin. It won't be exactly the same but it will get you some of the way there.
Good plan!

If I really think about it (Winnie the Pooh style), it's the send/return slap delay thing I really like. There has to be a way to do that with stock plugins. I'm afraid I can't picture the signal flow as well as I'd like.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #45
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Unsophisticated Preset Junkie here, and this makes Valhalla Delay even more attractive;
especially 'on sale' !

https://www.synth-presets.com/Presets/Valhalla_Delay
Ooh. Never heard of these guys but half price is a no brainer if they are legit. Are there any catches here?

Edt - Nevermind. I just realized this is a preset pack and not the plugin itself. Still going to grab the Valhalla Delay demo and almost certainly make the purchase. I love Sean's work and about the only one I don't currently own is the plate.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #46
foxAsteria

Quote:
I use it fine without crashes on Win7 and 10. It's a specialized effect. You won't easily reproduce with another delay. You might be able to get close, but I think you'd have to run a few in series and automate it to do it right.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #47
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I use it fine without crashes on Win7 and 10. It's a specialized effect. You won't easily reproduce with another delay. You might be able to get close, but I think you'd have to run a few in series and automate it to do it right.
I also had that thought.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #48
Softsynth

Quote:
I also had that thought.
With Reaper setting up multiple instances on one track is trivial, and Valhalla plugs are all very easy on the CPU for the quality.

I don't even have this one yet. Very happy with the number of delays I have anyway, but if I didn't have them already this Valhalla would be a no-brainer.

Last edited by Softsynth; 06-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #49
citizenkeith

Via Facebook:

Quote:
It's fall here at Valhalla HQ, and we're working on a cool new update for ValhallaDelay! Targeting mid-November for release.
I’ve been using Valhalla Delay more and more. I find myself reaching for it over Spaceship Delay and Waves H-Delay.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:35 AM   #50
Softsynth

Keith,
Cheers for the heads up.

I caved and added this one to my delay collection weeks ago. Too good to miss.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #51
kirk1701

Quote:
Keith,
Cheers for the heads up.

I caved and added this one to my delay collection weeks ago. Too good to miss.
I'm pretty close myself. I did figure out how to do the Abbey Road send/send thing with stock plugins, but it's a bit unwieldy. Valhalla is just so easy to use. The sounds are all right there for you.

Obviously, it's much better to learn how reverb actually works in modern DAWs, rather than throwing money at it. It's not like I have clients with a deadline. It's just me enjoying making some music. I love how modular Reaper is, but I'd like to have my favourite reverb/delay sounds "prêt à porter." I like the analog console routing option, where the plate or chamber is patched directly to the channel return. I pretty much have that with a reverb send/return template, but I'm still not as educated on IRs as I could be.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #52
Stews

Valhalla are an amazing company.

I'd stress to anyone who hasn't tried them that their plugins cost what they do because of the philosophy of the company, not because they aren't as good as, or better, than those costing many times the amount.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #53
JHughes
Banned

Valhalla Delay has been updated from ver 1.1.2 to 1.5.2.
https://valhalladsp.com/2019/11/26/v...s-and-ducking/

Released two days ago, it adds three modes plus ducking.

Quote:
We are happy to announce the 1.5.2 update of ValhallaDelay. Let’s jump into the new features!

3 new delay modes:

BBDuck: A brighter BBD model, with brightness that tracks the delay time (shorter delays are brighter, while longer delays are darker). Based on our analysis of the Ibanez AD-150 and Roland DC-10. This gets you that “rack mount” BBD sound that customers have been asking for!

Clarity: A clean “digital” delay, with a program dependent limiter, so you can SLAM the drive gain without getting distortion. Bandwidth determined by the Age control. Deep and wild modulation waveforms, selected by the Era control. Clarity can be nice and polite, or can get as crazy as you want!

DuckTape: A tape delay with built-in companding noise reduction. Similar to the existing Tape mode, but brighter, and virtually noise free.

All of the new modes have ducking! This is a 1-knob ducking control. We did a lot of work and research to develop a ducking method that didn’t require threshold/attack/release controls. Just turn up the ducking knob, to introduce feedback and output ducking that “just works.”

The new Mac installers are notarized and stapled for Catalina as well, if you are buying a shiny new Mac and need to run Catalina.

Anyway, we are proud of the new ValhallaDelay updates! We’ve added the most requested features from our customers (a tape echo with less noise, a brighter BBD mode, and ducking), and we’ve loved using the new modes and features in our own projects. The 1.5.2 installers are in the user accounts of all ValhallaDelay owners, and we have the new 1.5.2 demos up and running. Thanks for checking this out!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #54
D Rocks

Thanks nice one
Old 02-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #55
Colox

Valhalla Delay is real good. It's really light on the CPU too.

But it used to have a really noisy personality. It outputted a static broadband noise of different amounts and shapes, depending on combinations of the parameters Mode, Style, Drive, Age and Feedback parameters. The could get as high as -80dBFS for just 1 single Delay instance. Strong enough to have a dithering effect on the sound.

Now with the latest version, they've cleaned the noise up alot. The noise is actually gone in many the "Mode"s and other settings. But the noise is still there in Tape and BBD mode, and some parameter settings. Might wanna be aware of that. If you stack many instances in a single project, you'll have a noise issue, if you use certain settings and modes.

Last edited by Colox; 02-26-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #56
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
If you set Feedback to 0, you can often get the noise to be quiet. But then you got no delay functionality.
?
Select any other mode than Tape or BBD and you can ride the controls as high as you want to, no noise. Afaik, Tape and BBD modes are supposed to have noise, it's deliberately built in for those. Turn age to 0 with BBD and no noise with it either.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #57
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
?
Select any other mode than Tape or BBD and you can ride the controls as high as you want to, no noise. Afaik, Tape and BBD modes are supposed to have noise, it's deliberately built in for those. Turn age to 0 with BBD and no noise with it either.
Yeah, sorry I had to update my post. What I wrote was referring to an older version (v1.0.6). I had not updated for quite a while, and that fact occurred to me first after I posted.

In the older version, the noise you still see in BBD and Tape mode (of the most recent version) was there in every single mode, and it was louder, and almost impossible to get quiet without turning Feedback to 0.

So I'm not so sure the noise we still see in Tape and BBD mode is there because it is intentional, or 'it should be'. To me it's just 'still there'. It has just been removed from all other modes.

Looking much better now though and moving in the right direction. This was a happy surprise to me I have avoided using it because of this.

Last edited by Colox; 02-26-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #58
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
What I wrote was referring to an older version (v1.0.6). I had not updated for quite a while, and that fact occurred to me first after I posted.
Yea, the older versions used to be noisier, but that got improved. Here's a note about it from the developer;
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...&postcount=415
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:26 AM   #59
maralatho

For what it's worth, I find that Valhalla Delay pretty consistently crashes Reaper for me. Not right away, but eventually Reaper will go POOF and when I check the crash log, the crased thread is the one with Valhalla Delay. Love the plug-in, but I had to bail on it.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:01 AM   #60
Hermetech Mastering

Let Sean know, am sure he'd look into it and try to fix it. I've never had a crash with it in Reaper, FWIW.
Hermetech Mastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:25 AM   #61
maralatho

I wonder if it's because I was using the demo. Maybe the demo's thirty second timeout limitation causes the crashes. I was evaluating it, but the crashing turned me off.

I'll let them know just in case.

Thanks for letting me know that the plugin works fine for you.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:33 AM   #62
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
For what it's worth, I find that Valhalla Delay pretty consistently crashes Reaper for me. Not right away, but eventually Reaper will go POOF and when I check the crash log, the crased thread is the one with Valhalla Delay. Love the plug-in, but I had to bail on it.
Oh dear, not experienced that. Perhaps hardware specific?

AMD, Intel or Apple M?

I'm on Windows 11, used to be 10 with Intel CPUs. I5, i7 and new i7 have been fine - so far.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:25 PM   #63
maralatho

This was the M1 version on my Mac, but I have a Win 11 PC with piles of cores under my desk, so maybe I'll see what happens there. Windows gets a bit annoying with my 5k display, though, as sometimes things look great and other times ridiulously microscopic.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:26 PM   #64
maralatho

PC's Ryzen (AMD).
Old 03-03-2024, 02:10 PM   #65
Softsynth

I hope Sean can get it sorted for you, it's a very capable multi effects delay.

Last edited by Softsynth; 03-03-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:25 AM   #66
maralatho

I decided to just take a chance and buy the plugin. I've been using it rather than the demo for several hours now, and it hasn't crashed yet. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #67
maralatho

Zero crashes so far with the full (non demo) version of Valhalla Delay. Fingers crossed.