Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #41
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Right click everything (right after you finish reading the manual instead of searching it).
Have you read the whole manual? It only changes 6 times a year or more.
kevinwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #42
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwayne View Post
Have you read the whole manual? It only changes 6 times a year or more.
I read it in it's complete entirety the first day I downloaded Reaper. Since then I still occasionally open it and scroll through looking for new stuff. The advantage of reading it one time full through is that it places breadcrumbs in your brain about both features and nomenclature so that later when you do need to search you are far better equipped as to what/how to search. Another thing that is helpful is just to explore Reaper when you *don't* need something specific, that's a great way to become an expert. It really sucks to be clueless at the very moment you desperately need something.

However, I need it less now because I read the whole thing first time around and I usually get ramped up really well on new features due to the pre-release forum posts, change lists and builds.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #43
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Seems very anal to care about it.
English is not my first language. Can somebody tell me the level of "politeness " of this remark, please?

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #44
Coachz

Sorry. It means that it seems like a level of detail not worth worrying about in this context. No disrespect meant.
John
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
English is not my first language. Can somebody tell me the level of "politeness " of this remark, please?

Masi
It isn't polite or impolite, it's technically neutral.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #46
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:

Masi
Old 02-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #47
Lokasenna

Quote:

Masi
If it helps, from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The term anal retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that it becomes an obsession and may be an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person.
The term comes from the ideas of the psychiatrist Sigmund Freud.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #48
bezusheist

i love being anal.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #49
Glennbo

Quote:
So wait, even after knowing how it functions, you are allowing 1/1000 of 1 dB stop you dead in your tracks even when you know what the overage value is and even though the only place this even matters is on the master meter just before the D/A converters because ITB with Reaper the clipping doesn't actually occur even when red by default and.... the fact that 1 or 2 clipped samples aren't usually even discernable (that's why many require multiple samples over before invoking the clip light)?
How do I know if I'm hitting -0.001 or +12db? Clip indicator should only illuminate when you actually have gone over IMHO. I don't like being told that I almost have a problem with my gain structure. The fact that -0.001 and +12 produce an identical clip light makes the indicator fairly useless for me. Maybe if it turned green at -0.001, yellow at 0.00, and red at +0.001 I would like it and find it helpful when I'm staging gains.

-
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #50
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
How do I know if I'm hitting -0.001 or +12db? Clip indicator should only illuminate when you actually have gone over IMHO. I don't like being told that I almost have a problem with my gain structure. The fact that -0.001 and +12 produce an identical clip light makes the indicator fairly useless for me. Maybe if it turned green at -0.001, yellow at 0.00, and red at +0.001 I would like it and find it helpful when I'm staging gains
Hear, hear!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
How do I know if I'm hitting -0.001 or +12db? Clip indicator should only illuminate when you actually have gone over IMHO. I don't like being told that I almost have a problem with my gain structure. The fact that -0.001 and +12 produce an identical clip light makes the indicator fairly useless for me. Maybe if it turned green at -0.001, yellow at 0.00, and red at +0.001 I would like it and find it helpful when I'm staging gains.

-
By turning it down until it stops and looking at how far that was or better.... The numeric readout that sticks until you clear it? Do tell how on earth you managed to get by the last near decade using Reaper before you saw this thread. C'mon guys, I'm fine if they fix this 1/1000 of a dB *travesty* but let's be practical here.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-28-2017 at 03:05 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #52
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
The numeric readout that sticks until you clear it? C'mon guys. Do tell how you got by the last near decade using Reaper before you read this thread?
You're right cocky for someone who wasted an entire thread before he told me to right click on the Master Gain window.

And I well say it again, and continue to say it: Mixcraft has a meter that just shows Green, Yellow, and then Red. You see a bit of Red at the end of the Yellow. You pull the fader down until the red is gone. Over and done with.

What we're asking is NOT unreasonable. Stop acting like it is.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:
You're right cocky for someone who wasted an entire thread before he told me to right click on the Master Gain window.
:
I will remain that way when you can't be arsed to learn for yourself or read closely - but in all honesty, it isn't being cocky it's challenging you to learn how to fish instead of having someone fish for you. Read what I wrote, I figured that "when is it red" thing out on my own TODAY because you explained something you didn't take the time to consider on your own - That isn't my hiding information from you. I keep having to open Reaper and find things you guys can't seem to care enough about to actually farking look for.

All that being said, I will continue to challenge you, if you wanna hate me for pushing you to learn, OK.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-28-2017 at 03:13 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
By turning it down until it stops and looking at how far that was or better.... The numeric readout that sticks until you clear it? Do tell how on earth you managed to get by the last near decade using Reaper before you saw this thread. C'mon guys, I'm fine if they fix this 1/1000 of a dB *travesty* but let's be practical here.

Here's my issue. When I'm mixing 24 or more channels, and one or more of those channels pops a red "PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED" light, chances are I wasn't looking only at that meter where I could see WTF it read when it happened. Also, this screen shot shows that Reaper is telling me that my Hammond organ track is clipping, but it isn't. It's hitting +0.0db, so it has not gone over. I want Reaper to tell me what is really happening. Not what almost happened.

-
Old 02-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #55
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
I will remain that way when you can't be arsed to learn for yourself - but in all honesty, it isn't being cocky it's challenging you to learn how fish instead of having someone fish for you. Read what I wrote, I figured that out on my own TODAY because you explained something you didn't take the time to consider on your own - That isn't my hiding information from you. I keep having to open Reaper and find things you guys can't seem to care enough about to actually farking look for.
You're being a jackass all over the place to me and other posters. Go take a nap and get out of our hair. It's simpler to just give answers than hours of stupid lectures about how we aren't doing it right to suit you.

Interesting how you never seem to address the fact that there are better ways of doing it than what Reaper does. I ain't interested in all the tech details of why, when, where and how. I just ask for a better method. Not unreasonable at all.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
You're being a jackass all over the place to me and other posters. Go take a nap and get out of our hair.
Actually, I'll be heading to rehearsal but you know better than ^that, it's untrue and unbecoming, if you can't handle the technical challenges and conversation stop posting instead of turning child-like personal.

Quote:
Not unreasonable at all.
I've stated multiple times, I have no problem with having it changed but I do have a problem with all the embellishments being added for emotional effect.

Quote:
I ain't interested in all the tech details of why, when, where and how.
Prepare yourself for a very long, hard disappointing road in this field.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #57
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I'll be heading to rehearsal but you know better than ^that, it's untrue and unbecoming, if you can't handle the technical challenges and conversation stop posting instead of turning child-like personal
The only one who's behaving like a child is the guy who thinks he has big balls enough to go around telling others how to be

Quote:
I've stated multiple times, I have no problem with having it changed but I do have a problem with all the embellishments being added for emotional effect.
Sheeee-yittt. Now we don't communicate right for you. Anything else, Mom? *eyeroll*
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #58
Glennbo

Quote:
Do tell how on earth you managed to get by the last near decade using Reaper before you saw this thread.
Oh, and the answer to that is I ALWAYS put a brickwall limiter as the last thing in the FX chain on every freeking track, and set it to -1db.

I don't think I should have to set my plugins incorrectly though, and every other audio software I own will not show a peak if I set a brickwall at 0.0db.

Hehe, I feel like Nigel of Spinal Tap.

Nigel: ...the numbers all show a peak at -0.001. Look...right across the board.
Marty: Ahh...oh, I see....
Nigel: -0.001...-0.001...-0.001....
Marty: ...and most DAWs peak at > 0.00db ....
Nigel: Exactly.
Marty: Does that mean it's...louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel: Well, it's actually 0.001 quieter, isn't it?

-
Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #59
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Prepare yourself for a very long, hard disappointing road in this field.)
BS. Musicians got along fine for decades and decades without having to become "techies." We need the makers of the products we use to show us accurate information. So we can spend more time on important stuff. Not an unreasonable request at all.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #60
karbomusic

Quote:
Oh, and the answer to that is I ALWAYS put a brickwall limiter as the last thing in the FX chain on every freeking track, and set it to -1db.

-
I've watched you post for years and already trusted you got by just fine and appear to very well know what you are doing. My point was that no matter what, if that meter goes off .001 dB early, are you really concerned that you lost .001 dB? I'm concerned that you are even remotely that close. I totally agree with the original poster, 0=0 but all the other stuff piled on top is a little silly.

Most people as you state above don't want their mixes going anywhere near that close so exactly correct or not, you could use reaper as is, follow any sane gain staging practice and this anomaly will not affect you one single iota. I was waiting for someone to pick up on that but I guess it's not gonna happen.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #61
karbomusic

Quote:
BS. Musicians got along fine for decades and decades without having to become "techies." We need the makers of the products we use to show us accurate information. So we can spend more time on important stuff. Not an unreasonable request at all.
Musicians are no longer *just* musicians the minute they start engineering and mixing - that "I don't have learn and can just be lazy 'cuz art'" is the biggest cop out excuse I have ever seen. And your jab about the request being unreasonable has never been stated by me so we are now back to what you want to hear vs what is actually being said.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #62
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:

I don't think I should have to set my plugins incorrectly though, and every other audio software I own will not show a peak if I set a brickwall at 0.0db.

Hehe, I feel like Nigel of Spinal Tap.

Nigel: ...the numbers all show a peak at -0.001. Look...right across the board.
Marty: Ahh...oh, I see....
Nigel: -0.001...-0.001...-0.001....
Marty: ...and most DAWs peak at > 0.00db ....
Nigel: Exactly.
Marty: Does that mean it's...louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel: Well, it's actually 0.001 quieter, isn't it?

-
Care to share your limiter of choice?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #63
Glennbo

Quote:
I've watched you post for years and already trusted you got by just fine and appear to very well know what you are doing. My point was that no matter what, if that meter goes off .001 dB early, are you really concerned that you lost .001 dB? I'm concerned that you are even remotely that close. I totally agree with the original poster, 0=0 but all the other stuff piled on top is a little silly.

Most people as you state above don't want their mixes going anywhere near that close so exactly correct or not, you could use reaper as is, follow any sane gain staging practice and this anomaly will not affect you one single iota. I was waiting for someone to pick up on that but I guess it's not gonna happen.
My biggest issue is primarily with drums, which is my main axe. Drums will set off peak lights like crazy, even when the drums are being lost in the mix, and need to be squashed with compressors and limiters to get them to sit in the mix correctly. A peak light that flashes too early and doesn't ever go off is a distraction for me, and I'd rather not even have one if it isn't really giving me 100% accurate feedback as to what is going on.

-
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #64
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Musicians are no longer *just* musicians the minute they start engineering and mixing
Nope, don't buy that. The issue is that tools haven't been developed yet that make it easier for us to go back to writing and playing. Things like Toontrack EX Mix 2 is a sign things are changing, though. Nobody thinks others should become a Computer Nerd ...except for Computer Nerds themselves.

Quote:
And your jab about the request being unreasonable has never been stated by me so we are now back to what you want to say vs what is actually being said.
...which is moving the goalposts back to where the conversation should have been all along.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
My biggest issue is primarily with drums, which is my main axe. Drums will set off peak lights like crazy, even when the drums are being lost in the mix, and need to be squashed with compressors and limiters to get them to sit in the mix correctly. A peak light that flashes too early and doesn't ever go off is a distraction for me, and I'd rather not even have one if it isn't really giving me 100% accurate feedback as to what is going on.

-
Right but what I'm saying is you you will never be able to tell the difference of that .001 dB and you also won't be able to adjust for it because of how truly small that is - it's essentially and completely negligible for the purpose you are mentioning. If it goes off at that value, the problem is NOT the fact it is off by that amount which is also a resolution your preamp can't even do to begin with. IOW, in the real world, if that were to be changed right now, you would never, ever know it in any real capacity, the resolution is just to small for that to be the case.

The only way this would matter is if you actually wanted to hit -0.001 and we already know you don't.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #66
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
follow any sane gain staging practice and this anomaly will not affect you one single iota. I was waiting for someone to pick up on that but I guess it's not gonna happen.
Except I already talked about my process in gain staging, smart guy.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #67
Glennbo

Quote:
Care to share your limiter of choice?
I use George Yohng's W1. There was a fairly in depth test done comparing it with Waves L1, which first got me interested in it.

http://redfaux.typepad.com/the_redfa...-l1-clone.html

To my ears, the W1 is transparent, and it will hold the line at 0.00db which works great for every other audio software on the planet, or at -1db for Reaper. <g>

-
Old 02-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #68
karbomusic

Quote:
Nope, don't buy that.
It's 100% true but there is certainly no requirement that you accept it, but you are the one showing up asking for help so learning is probably the better option. I can't really continue to participate in your replies as I'm not seeing any urge to do anything but ping pong responses. Good luck man.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #69
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
I use George Yohng's W1. There was a fairly in depth test done comparing it with Waves L1, which first got me interested in it.

http://redfaux.typepad.com/the_redfa...-l1-clone.html

To my ears, the W1 is transparent, and it will hold the line at 0.00db which works great for every other audio software on the planet, or at -1db for Reaper. <g>

-
DUH - You recommended that in the other thread lol
Old 02-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #70
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
There is certainly no requirement that you do but you are the one showing up asking for help so learning is probably the better option.
Or... telling us what we need to know up front before you chide us endlessly on a lengthy thread. That's an option, too.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #71
karbomusic

Quote:
Or... telling us what we need to know up front before you chide us endlessly on a lengthy thread. That's an option, too.
I'm about to start calling out your ignorance since I've explained ^that three times now and you still don't get it. If I knew up front I'd have fucking told you up front but I had to do your research for you this morning. You even quoted my answer FFS and still didn't get it, so I don't think you really want to know anything. Maybe you should scroll up and read before you make the same claim yet again, it makes you look silly to keep bringing this up when everyone else saw the answer too.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #72
Glennbo

Quote:
Right but what I'm saying is you you will never be able to tell the difference of that .001 dB and you also won't be able to adjust for it because of how truly small that is - it's essentially and completely negligible for the purpose you are mentioning. If it goes off at that value, the problem is NOT the fact it is off by that amount which is also a resolution your preamp can't even do to begin with. IOW, in the real world, if that were to be changed right now, you would never, ever know it in any real capacity, the resolution is just to small for that to be the case.

The only way this would matter is if you actually wanted to hit -0.001 and we already know you don't.
My issue is that a red peak indicator means there is a problem, and I don't want a problem, especially when there really isn't one.

Reaper isn't an OCD compliant DAW IMHO! <g>

-
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #73
bezusheist

Quote:
It's hitting +0.0db, so it has not gone over.
this is where it gets "tricky". there is a difference between "-0 dBFS" and "+0 dBFS".
and they are correct in calling the +0 dBFS an "over", because it is "out of bounds" if you consider the symmetry of the word length.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #74
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
I'm about to start calling out your ignorance
Too late. I already called you out on your being a douchebag.

Quote:
since I've explained ^that three times now and you still don't get it. If I knew up front I'd have fucking told you up front but I had to do your research for you this morning. You even quoted my answer FFS so I don't think you really want to know anything.
The point is, you being an ass to myself and other posters and being on a freakin' high-horse. Go look at yourself in the mirror and spare me the lectures, Dude.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #75
karbomusic

Quote:
Too late. I already called you out on your being a douchebag.

The point is, you being an ass to myself and other posters and being on a freakin' high-horse. Go look at yourself in the mirror and spare me the lectures, Dude.
I'm only being an ass to you, because you favor arguing more than reading, don't try to drag others into that problem. If you can't communicate without name calling, it means you really don't have an argument to make. I really do wish you would read more closely, it saves us all from having to iterate, then reiterate over and over.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #76
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
I'm only being an ass to you, don't blame others for your not reading.
Nope, you don't get out of it that easy. Go back and read your 1st response to Glennbo. And then consider growing up whilst your at it
Old 02-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #77
karbomusic

Quote:
Nope, you don't get out of it that easy. Go back and read your 1st response to Glennbo. And then consider growing up whilst your at it
I saw that, he and I have been here awhile and don't get torn up like you do while we are working through something - did you notice how we both stayed firm yet technical which you are having a difficult time with?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #78
karbomusic

Quote:
I don't want a problem, especially when there really isn't one.

Reaper isn't an OCD compliant DAW IMHO! <g>

-

LOL, made my day.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #79
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
I saw that, he and I have been here awhile and don't get torn up like you do.
Torn up? No I'm vocalizing what needs to be said, thank-you very much. Don't allow your bloated ego to delude you into thinking you have that much of an effect on me
Old 02-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #80
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
this is where it gets "tricky". there is a difference between "-0 dBFS" and "+0 dBFS".
and they are correct in calling the +0 dBFS an "over", because it is "out of bounds" if you consider the symmetry of the word length.
Well, that was a really quick screen grab, and I can make the peak indicator illuminate, when I know damn good and well that I am below a real peak. That's what bothers me about it. I want accurate information displayed when mixing, and anything that has a minus sign in front of it, shouldn't show as a plus.

This is not like the old Teac 3340, Tascam 80-8, or six foot tall Ampex AG440B-8 units I used to work with on a daily basis, where you wanted to hit a red peak light all the time, or else you weren't recording hot enough.

-