Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
bls
Human being with feelings

Default anyone still using, and embracing, the Allen and Heath Zed r16

Anyone still using one regularly?

Im trying to take my setup to 16 tracks and im kind of done with my m-audio profire. I like the look of these for keeping things simple on a 16 track 96k recording.
there doesnt seem to be any discussion on these in the forum over the past few years, and i was wondering a few things that some users might be able to chime in on:

Still holding up ok? Competitive tech wise and sound wise?

Enjoyable to record with, or problematic in any significant way?

is there anything in this price range that is performing the same or better?

Thanks for any input. I think im about to pick one up and just thought id give the trusty forum a chance to chime in about it..
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
serr

I don't miss the thin sounding mic preamps and general lack of headroom in an A&H console one little bit! The "Zed" products are their budget line and what I've heard are truly awful sounding.

I also agree that M-box is much worse.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
bls

Thats cool. Do you have experience with this specific item, or is that just a generalized A&H thing?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
bls

Man, what a bad turnout. Just bumping this one time in hopes of any feedback from current users.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
ivansc

Gearslutz has a lot on the Zed series.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
bls

Yeah, ive been up on that.

However, i trust our forum more than theirs. So im just fishing here.

Thanks though.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
BobM

This?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov0...eathzedr16.htm

I prefer my ZED 10FX to similarly priced products.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Shintogurl

Pretty much all that I've read n the ZED R16 has been positive, including the pre amps and the EQ. I'm looking at getting a desk eventually and this is one of my main choices. I want a desk that will meet all my recording needs. 16 channels should be enough for me. I do really want to make dub reggae recordings too and my only concern is to whether this desk would be suitable with regards to using effects hardware instead of plug ins.
Shintogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
bls

Im in the same boat. It looks like a really fun piece to have.

What are the other ones youre looking at? Ive seen the mackie one, does someone else make one like this?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Shintogurl

Well I want to stay analogue so have looked at analogue desks with firewire of which only a couple are suitable, the ZED R16 and Mackie Onyx 1640i. The Mackie is cheaper but doesn't have as the fully parametric mids on the EQ. Apparently it does have a few good feature that the ZED doesn't have though, can't remember what though. LOL. My other options are fully analogue desks that have direct outs for every channel and enough auxiliaries for plenty of effects, and as I already have a Focusrite Saffire pro40 firewire interface I can just get another one and daisy chain them to get the 16 inputs to the computer. One of my main choices would be the Allen n Heath Mixwizard WZ4 16:2. This http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Produc...4122&SubCatId=
The combined price of this and a new interface would be cheaper than either of the firewire desks.
Or I could go for more channels and a bit more expense and get this http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Produc...oductId=ZED428
I have toyed with getting a used Soundcraft Ghost as it has loads of ins n outs and I've used them for the last year at college so I am familiar with them. Some rate them, others don't but I don't have a fortune to spend so I'll go for the most flexible desk for the money I have. I'd rather buy new, but if there's a used bargain to be had then I'll take the opportunity.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Shintogurl

There is this from Presonus though, http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.4.2
Price wise it's comparable to the ZED R16, though for me and doing my Dub Reggae thing I wanna stay analogue. Besides that, an analogue desk should be easier and cheaper to repair I would've thought should it need mending.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
bls

Sounds like youre on the way to a cool setup.

One of my buddies works on a board with a ton of outboard and into a radar system. He loves that, but the price of admission is pretty steep.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Shintogurl

I admit I've never heard of Radar, but there's so much I still need to learn. I just missed out on my first bit of outboard gear, a TC Electronics delay/reverb unit. Can't afford it til next week so I think it'll be gone by then. Was cheap too. :-(
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
bls

Radar was a system that was meant to replace tape machines in the studio, as opposed to a DAW approach. 32 channels are recorded through a board, then played back through the board for mixing. You can do some minor editing, but my buddy doesnt even do that.

So, no vst host, no automation (unless its on the board), no midi in, etc. its a real way of life i guess. Hiwever, the stuff of his that ive heard sounds terrific.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Stu

I had a Zed R16 as the main interface in my studio for a year or so before we closed, the desk is now in use in another studio - 4 years old and in absolute perfect condition without any maintenance.

The drivers were rock solid with reaper and I never experienced a single problem, build quality is outstanding for the price. I'd say the SOS review is pretty spot on.

Regarding the sound of the mic pre's and the headroom, I can only assume serr has not used this model as if anything the pre's are slightly on the warm/thick end of the spectrum, they added a fair bit of weight to everything I recorded with them. They aren't amazing, but you would need to spending frankly silly money to get better, and certainly wouldn't be the weakest link in most studios - in other words, good enough for proffesional work. The EQ was of a similar standard, certainly good enough for real work and very useful to get the right sound going in. Headroom was also never an issue, either during recording or using the desk to sum a mix.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
bls

Thank you so much. This is the kind of thing i wanted to hear!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I can only assume serr has not used this model as if anything the pre's are slightly on the warm/thick end of the spectrum, they added a fair bit of weight to everything I recorded with them.
I’d agree with that.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
georgethedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintogurl View Post
Mackie Onyx 1640i.
At least I can say it's only a toy. I don't know whether there were A/D converters or pres but the sound was thin like a tracing paper. Why the cheapest desk to ever consider is probably Toft and it's still waaaay cheaper than sound we really like: API, Neve...? The only pres I used that sound really 'full' were old WSW. And the chapest set of A/D converters that will do the job you're expecting is today probably RME Multiface or such.

I don't know A&H but for similar (to Mackie) price I wouldn't expect a miracle. Especially in reggae/dub you're looking for full-bodied low end. The lottery seems to be your quick hope but seriously: something like 4 x WSW for critical tracks (db, snare, bass, voice) + 'old' RME Multiface looks like the cheapest solution for that.
georgethedifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Shintogurl

Alas those kinds of funds will never be available unless like you say, I win the lottery. I'll just try to research as best I can and get the best I can afford and make the best of it. I did read on the Dub discussion board that alot of the folks there aren't using super pricy equipment but they are producing great sounding dub tracks.
Of course Dub/Reggae is just one of the genres I want to try my hand at. Metal, rock, prog, electronic noisy stuff and who knows what else will all be attempted and produced at some point with varying degrees of success and failure. So whatever desk I do get, it needs to offer flexibility as well as a decent sound.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgethedifferent View Post
At least I can say it's only a toy. I don't know whether there were A/D converters or pres but the sound was thin like a tracing paper. Why the cheapest desk to ever consider is probably Toft and it's still waaaay cheaper than sound we really like: API, Neve...? The only pres I used that sound really 'full' were old WSW. And the chapest set of A/D converters that will do the job you're expecting is today probably RME Multiface or such.

I don't know A&H but for similar (to Mackie) price I wouldn't expect a miracle. Especially in reggae/dub you're looking for full-bodied low end. The lottery seems to be your quick hope but seriously: something like 4 x WSW for critical tracks (db, snare, bass, voice) + 'old' RME Multiface looks like the cheapest solution for that.
If someone had a hard time getting good results with the Zed R16, it would be down to poor engineering skills and nothing to do with the desk. Obviously we would all love to be recording with Neve, SSL, API or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that there is plenty of great sounding music that is being produced that has been nowhere near anything of that price tag.

I've been in the fortunate position to have used some very high end gear, including large format desks from the likes of Neve and Amek. Of course they sound superior to something like this A&H desk, but enough to stop you making great recordings and mixes? No, it's the final 1% we're talking about here, and to suggest that it is pointless getting a desk unless you can afford at least a Toft is a strange way of looking at it in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
bls

Agreed.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #22
marrecords

Great to read Stu's positive opinion of the A&H desk (also in conjunction with Reaper). Of course it isn't fair to compare a product in this price category with gear that is way way more expensive. But you really get a lot for the dough with the Zed R16 imho.
marrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
bls

Thanks. Is this what you use for your interface?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
georgethedifferent

Quote:
No, it's the final 1% we're talking about here, and to suggest that it is pointless getting a desk unless you can afford at least a Toft is a strange way of looking at it in my opinion.
Isn't it pointless to buy 16 budget EQs for studio use when you've got unlimited ReaEQs in hand? And all the sockets, buses etc. You need to pay for that junk, while you're better off using software eqs, inserts, buses... If you don't have much, spend carefully. That's my point. So yes, IMHO it's pointless to buy a desk for studio unless you've got enough for at least a Toft. If not - try to get the best pres you can and neutral interface (RME or Motu are the cheapest I know, with RME having really decent drivers).

Different story obviously when you do live gigs along with recording.

As for my engineering, have you used Mackie desk with its firewire card so that you can judge my skills?

Besides, this thread is about that 1%.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Stu

Quote:
Isn't it pointless to buy 16 budget EQs for studio use when you've got unlimited ReaEQs in hand? And all the sockets, buses etc. You need to pay for that junk, while you're better off using software eqs, inserts, buses... If you don't have much, spend carefully. That's my point. So yes, IMHO it's pointless to buy a desk for studio unless you've got enough for at least a Toft. If not - try to get the best pres you can and neutral interface (RME or Motu are the cheapest I know, with RME having really decent drivers).

Different story obviously when you do live gigs along with recording.

As for my engineering, have you used Mackie desk with its firewire card so that you can judge my skills?

Besides, this thread is about that 1%.
Wether having access to 16 channel faders, eq's and insert points, plus all the other functionality of the desk (talkback, foldback mixes, aux sends, actual hands on manipulation) is pointless or not depends on an individual's needs doesn't it? For tracking an average band I would absolutely take a ZED R16 over any traditional interface (RME, Motu etc), because the difference in sound quality is pretty minuscule (by which I mean, nobody can really tell unless they could a/b with something much better) but also the ease and speed in which you can work is greatly improved. If you need to be setting up a scratch mix, adjusting foldback, talking to the artist in the vocal booth and capture a good performance at the same time (like most working engineers I would think), then a desk like this is a very efficient way to do that.

Also, you are still assuming that this desk doesn't sound good

The part about judging your skills I don't understand I'm afraid, but the OP never mentioned anything about this 'last 1%' - he asked if these desks have proved to be reliable (yes), if they are competitive with current tech (yes), if they are enjoyable (yes) or problematic (no) to work with and if there is anything better in the price range (not if you're looking for a desk/interface combo).
Old 07-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Stu

@georgethedifferent:

To illustrate what I mean about those minuscule differences, (and I mean this as an interesting and fun excercise, not a confrontational one) I could post here a list of all the recording gear I've had access to over the years along with a raw recording of some drums that were done on some of that equipment, to see if you or anyone else can figure out what I used. If anyone got it right it would be an extremely lucky guess!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #27
bls

@Stu:

I would be interested in hearing that. Maybe just a few though. Dont put yourself out.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #28
georgethedifferent

Quote:
@georgethedifferent:

To illustrate what I mean about those minuscule differences, (and I mean this as an interesting and fun excercise, not a confrontational one) I could post here a list of all the recording gear I've had access to over the years along with a raw recording of some drums that were done on some of that equipment, to see if you or anyone else can figure out what I used. If anyone got it right it would be an extremely lucky guess!
That would be certainly interesting, though like you said -- there are many other key factors -- drummer, drumkit, room, mics... We'd need all of that the same with different desk or interface to assess.

I was recording the same drummer with the same kit in different room though -- with Mackie Onyx and then WSW/RME pres + RME interface. No brainer for me. I'd be happy to post the tracks but I'm not sure whether I still have those from Mackie (I was so dissapointed that I could have bin-ed them soon after the session...).

Bls asked for other options for the money. And yes, I'd agree with you about the working speed, but it doesn't come for free. If we only consider the sound, I think 3 x RME Quadmic (12 mics is more than enough for most bands, with bass head output & keys going straight to the interface) + 2 x RME Multiface would cost similar but give better sound. And yet is makes easier to upgrade to better preamps without replacing the whole setup at once.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
Stu

I'll find something suitable to post, although I didn't mean I would post several clips from different sessions: what I was trying to illustrate is that I could post a clip for someone to scrutinise, but without any reference it would be impossible to say what kind of equipment had been used - and this is what I'm trying to get at - without that reference it becomes just a case of 'if it sounds good, it IS good'.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #30
Stu

Ok so I found some good audio to examine, a session I did with a pretty talented drummer I know. I think this is a very decent drum sound, considering it hasn't been mixed other than levels and panning.

A few details so folks can try to guess what I used:

The drums were miced with an overhead pair, with close mics on snare (top only), kick (inside, ported kick, aimed at beater) and each of the three toms. The kit was one of those 'fusion' affairs with relatively small sizes all around (if memory serves the kick was 20" and toms 10/12/14"). Good quality mics were used all-round.

The drums were very lightly processed on the way in, but no post processing has been applied.

Now the gear it might have been recorded with, it was one of the following setups:

a) AMEK big by langley (onboard pres)
b) Allen & Heath ZED R16 (onboard pres)
b) Neve Capricorn (onboard pres)
c) Alesis IO26 (onboard plus outboard pres)
d) Soundcraft Spirit Studio (onboard plus outboard pres)
e) Studiomaster Mixdown Classic 8 (onboard plus outboard pres)
f) Behringer Eurodesk MX900 (onboard and outboard pres)

Here is a 320kbps mp3: https://copy.com/k9K1wcj2iIHG

and 24bit wav: https://copy.com/T9ZbkJbEJqbU

Last edited by Stu; 07-22-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
Shintogurl

Hmmmmmm, give us an answer then. ;-) LOL
I have to say though, my drumming sucks after listening to that. I haven't touched the kit in months, deffo need to start practising regularly.
I think the general consensus is that the ZED R16 is a good desk for the money, and the fact it can be used as a control surface could help the workflow within Reaper once set up properly. I believe A&H provide some type of set up guide for Reaper among other DAWs.
It would be fine for me I think, and I could get rid of my Saffire Pro 40. I don't think it likes me anyway, it's always playing up in some way, the most common fault not detecting any inputs. Pisses me off, when my Alesis iO dock works fine and my Zoom R24 does too, so it's not my instruments or leads.
Anyway, I digress, I think it'll be my desk of choice when funds become available. And then maybe I can get on with producing some Dub Reggae tracks. :-)
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintogurl View Post
Hmmmmmm, give us an answer then. ;-) LOL
I have to say though, my drumming sucks after listening to that. I haven't touched the kit in months, deffo need to start practising regularly.
I think the general consensus is that the ZED R16 is a good desk for the money, and the fact it can be used as a control surface could help the workflow within Reaper once set up properly. I believe A&H provide some type of set up guide for Reaper among other DAWs.
It would be fine for me I think, and I could get rid of my Saffire Pro 40. I don't think it likes me anyway, it's always playing up in some way, the most common fault not detecting any inputs. Pisses me off, when my Alesis iO dock works fine and my Zoom R24 does too, so it's not my instruments or leads.
Anyway, I digress, I think it'll be my desk of choice when funds become available. And then maybe I can get on with producing some Dub Reggae tracks. :-)
He's a good drummer isn't he? Jazz trained, and he has an eclectic music taste which shines through in his playing I think.

I'm not revealing the answer yet, although it's really not that important either way - I've had access to all the gear I listed over the years and it could have been done with any of them - if you have at least a bare minimum quality in your preamps/EQ/desk (which a lot of pro-sumer gear will give you and more) then what really matters is the source, the room, the mics, and your skill with placing them.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
Bristol Posse

I use the Zed R16 as my mobile rig and a Zed 24 through RME converters as my studio mixer

The R16 is really useful and very robust and unlike the ZED 24 doesn't need a lot of cabling thanks to the ability to multi track via firewire which makes it a great mobile rig option. I like that I can mix live as well as taking the channels (either pre or post FX)to reaper to record multi tracks at the same time. It gives me a lot of options if I need to re mix a show for distribution afterwards.

Pres are perfectly fine plenty of gain, low noise, I'd prefer longer throw faders (like I have on the zed 24) but they do the Job. 4 band EQ is pretty good and very usable. The routing and monitoring options are excellent and can handle a fairly complex stage setups.

If I didn't already have the Zed 24 in place, I'd have no problem using it as the centerpiece to a home studio. It's flexible, has lots of useful features and works great.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
bls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
I use the Zed R16 as my mobile rig and a Zed 24 through RME converters as my studio mixer

The R16 is really useful and very robust and unlike the ZED 24 doesn't need a lot of cabling thanks to the ability to multi track via firewire which makes it a great mobile rig option. I like that I can mix live as well as taking the channels (either pre or post FX)to reaper to record multi tracks at the same time. It gives me a lot of options if I need to re mix a show for distribution afterwards.

Pres are perfectly fine plenty of gain, low noise, I'd prefer longer throw faders (like I have on the zed 24) but they do the Job. 4 band EQ is pretty good and very usable. The routing and monitoring options are excellent and can handle a fairly complex stage setups.

If I didn't already have the Zed 24 in place, I'd have no problem using it as the centerpiece to a home studio. It's flexible, has lots of useful features and works great.
Thanks man. this thread really wnded up panning out.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #35
georgethedifferent

Quote:
Definitely sounds good. Good drummer, kit, room and engineering. Shoot me and tell it was cheap desk with built-in A/D?

Something from me to compare. I was trying to set similar volume and close/oh balance, 24-bit, unprocessed, only oh cut around 300 Hz:

http://alljamms.com/gear_test_alt.wav
Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #36
Stu

Quote:
Definitely sounds good. Good drummer, kit, room and engineering. Shoot me and tell it was cheap desk with built-in A/D?

Something from me to compare. I was trying to set similar volume and close/oh balance, 24-bit, unprocessed, only oh cut around 300 Hz:

http://alljamms.com/gear_test_alt.wav

That's a nice drum sound, good work! I think both clips sound quite similar, other than the kit obviously, if i had heard both and someone told me they were tracked in the same room with the same gear I could believe that, though I can hear a tiny bit more room in yours (the room I tracked in is large, had almost no resonance and is actually pretty dead).

My clip was tracked with an Alesis IO26, onboard pre's for everything except overheads which were through a presonus blue tube with the valve engaged. I used reaEQ to make some very small cuts on the way in, and a JS plug (I forget the name) for some expansion on the toms.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #37
georgethedifferent

I don't know Alesis but I looked at the price and it shot me down. You win.

My clip was done with WSW pres and RME FF 800. The room was more lively but it's just more lively part of the studio live room, designed and built for studio purpose from the first brick and has really decent sound.

The tracks from that session were the easiest for me to mix ever. They just didn't need any fixing. But this is hard to judge the reason without systematic, scientific approach... Probably the best musicians tend to record in best studios, hence the coincidence?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #38
Stu

Well if I had to say which I liked best it would be yours, so I'm not sure it counts as a win

Recording equipment has come a long way in the last decade or two and it's really surprising to me what can be obtained with a small budget. I'm absolutely certain that had the Alesis been replaced with WSW pres and RME conversion it would have been improved, but at the time I recorded that I had just started out with my own studio (after working in a few others) and my budget was extremely limited so I chose to spend more on the mics than the pres and interface. It made me realise that the relationship between preamps/desk/final product was a fairly subtle one.

Of course, I still drool over all these 1073 reissues that everyone is making these days!

Apologies to the OP for the massive thread derailment, hopefully you've found it interesting too

And @ georgethedifferent, a belated 'welcome to the forum'! I hope you stick around and help some folks out as you're obviously a knowledgable and talented engineer
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #39
Shintogurl

Well for a music tech student like me it's all interesting and a part of the learning process.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #40
bls

No worries on the derailing. Let's run with it.