Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Newman
Human being with feelings

Default Ritard (or nudge everything later a bit?)

Hi,

I have a song that has a spot where the music stops and then the vocalist leads the song back in.

It was done to a click, and I'd like to create a more human pause, if you know what I mean.

I could nudge everything back....(what's the best way to do that so all automation and everything follows as it should)?

Or, I thought I'd stick a tempo change in, thought that might be easy. But when I do it, things seem to get screwed up, some tracks are out of time, and I also noticed that when the tempo goes back to where it should be, it seems as though the time based effects haven't caught up.

I tried searching, and found something about some setting, transitioning from one marker to the next, or something...but I can't find it. Not sure if that's even the problem.

Thanks for any help!!
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Often there is more recorded than the items show and you can just drag the edge to reveal it. If you want to move stuff around in fine increments, search nudge in the actions list. Doing some automation with reverb sends or similar is another good way to smooth over abrupt changes.

If you want to mess with tempo and have everything stay put you need to do 2 things:
1. Set timebase to time in project settings
2. Select all MIDI items and use the action to "ignore project tempo." You need SWS installed for this and it's a workaround because MIDI items don't obey time timebase normally. You might still have issues if you use gradual tempo shifts. Gluing the items first might help.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Dark River

I use time signature changes (add a beat, take one away) to adjust the pause that feels just right.