Old 11-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
jonlint
Human being with feelings

Default Plastic Fantastic - Grunge Song

Hi all,

I had a go at an old grunge track, doing some guitar and vocal overdubs and doing some intensive Alice In Chains referencing. Here is the result - feedback most welcome:

https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-lint...c-fantastic-v2

Here is a link to a music video of the song as well:
https://youtu.be/oWCo56_H1kk

PLASTIC FANTASTIC
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)
Mankind
Invention
Maligned
Intention
We’re full
Of it
Evil
Plastic

Yeah!
It’s a plastic fantastic world
Yeah!
Need a drastic change
A plastic change

The earth
Can’t take it
Rebirth
Or break it
When you
Buy it
Avoid
Plastic

Yeah!
Yeah!
Need a drastic change
A plastic change

MONOLOG:
The UN estimates, but 2050, there’ll be more plastic in the ocean than fish. Already it holds 5 trillion plastic particles, dumped across the world.

SOLO

Yeah!
Yeah!
Need a drastic change
A plastic change
Yeah!
(A plastic world)
Yeah!
Need a drastic change
(A plastic world)
jonlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Jeffsounds

Wow! Very cool tune! Mix sounds great to me. Vocals are awesome! Good job!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
metallicaguy1

Sounds great. Does have a 90s vibe to it. Reminds me of Soundgarden, and something about it makes me think of Marilyn Manson, but only off the dope show album. Not sure why though. I'll have to download it sometime.

Here's a link to my newest song, if you want to give a listen. I think you'd like it. I don't even know how to classify it lol. What genre, I mean.

https://soundcloud.com/troymccombs/happy-hour
metallicaguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
fHumble fHingaz

Hi Jonathan - Cool track! I enjoyed the songwriting, the arrangement and the performances. The vocals in-particular were really impressive!

The mix gets the point across, but there are a few aspects which could use improvement...
- The kick drum is a little lacking in definition. It tends to get lost with the bass. I can hear it registering in my sub, but I can't hear it punching through in the higher bass "knock" region. I think that might be mainly down to getting the bass under control, but perhaps a little more top end on the kick would help too.
- The bass is a bit muddy/boomy. I think this may be caused by its interaction with the kick. Possibly pulling out some energy around the 80/90hz region might help. Maybe even using a "complimentary" EQ between the bass and kick would clear the low end up some.
- The crash cymbals could use a little taming, as they jump out a bit too much.

A lot of things in mixing come down to personal taste, so these are a few things I'd personally prefer to hear:

- The punch of the snare more defined, and its sustain a little more controlled - at present the snare is a little "soupy" sounding to me.
- The top end of the toms a little less "ticky". They contrast a little too much with softer sounding top end of the kick and snare.
- A bit shorter and tighter reverb overall, or at least save the big sustaining reverb for the big choruses, maybe?
- The guitars a little more forward and defined in the mix. To some degree, I think this might happen somewhat of its own accord if the bass was more controlled in the low mids, where it overlaps with the low end of the guitars. But maybe just a tad more "bite" would help the guitars too.

Just a few thoughts... Overall, a nicely put together piece of music!
Old 11-24-2019, 04:10 AM   #5
Judders

I gotta say, when I saw the lyrics I was dubious, but your vocal delivery really sold it. Really fantastic vocals.

fHumble fHingaz gave really good mix notes, and I agree with all of it.

Great stuff!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
nait

Without getting into mixing issues that were already pointed out, this song is pretty cool. I like the vocals (more so the vocalist than the actual lyrics, although those aren't bad either for what it is). Good rhythms and solos in this.. pretty catch and easily sticks in your head. it definitely would have fit in the 90s grunge scene.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote