Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-29-2023, 06:54 PM   #1
InvalidInk
Human being with feelings

Default Samplers, Reasamplomatic5000 and future proofing

So I'm building my sample library and I'm trying to decide which route to go and need some guidance. I'd really like to stick with Reaper's sampler because I know as long as Reaper is a DAW their sampler will work with it. I've been doing this long enough to where I've gotten used to a 3rd party plugin, depend on it, and then the software company discontinues it, starts crashing or getting buggy, gets stuck on some crazy iLok, turns to a subscription model, etc... I'm tired of it. Hence why I've been thinking about just keeping everything contained to Reaper (for the most part).

So I've been using Grace and Poise and am happy with them, but I am scared that they may get discontinued 5 or ten years down the road. I like to play live and a big thing is they have their own contained file with the samples in it and you can just transfer that to a new computer for playing live or when I upgrade.

I want to use RS5k but I am scared that I am going to spend all this time building templates of multisampled instruments and when I upgrade my computer (which I will do soonish) or transfer it to my live laptop, RS5K won't be able to find the samples and I will have to manually reapply samples to each template which is far from ideal.

What would you suggest? I feel stuck.

Thanks in advance for reading all this.

Last edited by InvalidInk; 03-30-2023 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Clarity
InvalidInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:37 PM   #2
skylar_battles

What do you mean by building patches? Saving track templates with native plugins seems to work. I don't know as far as directories if things get more complicated if there are samples within RS5K that are saved into a track template.

Last edited by skylar_battles; 03-30-2023 at 01:29 AM.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:49 AM   #3
InvalidInk

I mean building multi sampled instruments like how Kenny Gioia shows here

https://youtu.be/VxEGphq0Gck

I’ll edit the original post to make my question more clear.

Yes track templates work, but if I take a template of a multi sampled instrument I built and just pulled the template into another computer then the samples will not appear.

If I do that with Grace or poise the samples will appear if I made a multisampled instrument on my desktop and transferred patch over to my laptop. The samples get embedded in their own file. Reason does this as well with their samplers.

Id love to stick with RS5K but that is a very big downside. Im hoping you guys know of a potential work around.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:21 AM   #4
StefanMax

This is a problem you'll encounter with every sampler. I use TX16Wx and have made it a habit to copy all samples I use in a particular project into the project folder.

Because loading a tx16w program while the sample has been moved results in TX not finding it. It'll prompt you to look for it or automatic search, but how many kick_hard.wav will it find? Hundreds!

Yes, there is a certain redundancy there, but disc space is cheap now and I can reorganize my (huge) sample library whenever I like without it affecting the loading of songs.

Edit: You're on a Mac? If the MacOs supports symbolic links, that could be a big help in case you reorganize your sample paths with the new computer. I use this on Windows quite frequently.

Last edited by StefanMax; 03-30-2023 at 07:31 AM.
StefanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:04 AM   #5
InvalidInk

Ah ok, that makes sense. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but your comment did give me an idea to have a project dedicated to just making say drum machine templates that I can just pull in and be ready to go when I am writing new music. I could also transfer the templates along with the "sampler project folder" to a different computer very easily, that way the samples are contained in that session and Reaper will find them on any computer. If the project folder itself starts getting too big I could always get an external HD dedicated just to that.

edit: wait you just meant the project you start when writing music. That makes sense too.
Also I am on Windows.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
Amwer

Building a sample library can be a time-consuming process, and it's understandable that you want to choose a reliable and future-proof option. Here are a few suggestions to help you make a decision:

Reaper's Sampler: Since you are already familiar with Reaper's sampler and it integrates well with the DAW, it can be a reliable choice. Reaper has a strong track record of maintaining compatibility, so you can reasonably expect that the sampler will continue to work with future versions of the software. This reduces the risk of compatibility issues and discontinuation.
Consider a Hybrid Approach: Instead of relying solely on one sampler, you can take a hybrid approach by combining Reaper's sampler with a popular and widely supported third-party sampler. This way, you can benefit from the flexibility and features of both options. If one sampler becomes discontinued or problematic in the future, you will still have an alternative to fall back on.
Regular Backups: Regardless of the sampler you choose, it's always a good practice to regularly back up your sample library and associated files. This will ensure that even if you encounter any issues during upgrades or transfers, you can restore your library easily. By keeping backups, you can mitigate potential risks and have peace of mind.
Research and Community Support: Before investing a significant amount of time building templates or relying heavily on a particular sampler, do some research to gauge the popularity, stability, and community support for that sampler. Look for user forums, online communities, or official support channels where you can gather information and connect with other users who may have insights or experiences to share.
Amwer is offline   Reply With Quote