Old 02-04-2023, 02:49 AM   #1
interjimmy
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER and Sonible plugins

Hi, I am using a Destop-PC wirth an Asus-Motherboard, Intel I7, 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD with Windows 10 and a lot of plugins from Fabfilter, Tonebooster, IK-Multimedia, etc without any problems. Now I am trying to use plugins from Sonible. They work great but I have following problem with them: When REAPER starts all used plugins used in a project will be shown for a very short moment below the REAPER sign on the start screen. But on each Sonible plugin I have to wait approx. 8 seconds until the next plugin will be shown for a very short time again. This means for example that I have to wait approx. 30 seconds when I have used 4 Sonible plugins in the project. A similiar problem appears when I load a Sonible plugin to a REAPER track via the FX-Button. It takes 8 seconds until the plugin will be shown and will be ready to use. What can I do to solve this problems? Thanks in advance and best wishes .....

Last edited by interjimmy; 02-04-2023 at 06:56 AM.
interjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
nait

What kind of drive did you install them to? (SSD, HDD, hybrid, etc, USB/sata/Nvme?)

Sounds like they're probably installed on a slow drive. Try to uninstall/reinstall them on a faster drive?
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
interjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
What kind of drive did you install them to? (SSD, HDD, hybrid, etc, USB/sata/Nvme?)

Sounds like they're probably installed on a slow drive. Try to uninstall/reinstall them on a faster drive?
They are installed on a SSD and plugins from other manufacturers run fast like hell .... so the drive is not the problem for sure ....
Old 02-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
Wallaby

Default AU

The Sonible AU plugins are working fine without issues.
Did you install VST or VST2 or VST3 ?
May be better change from one to another format ?
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
nait

I use the VST3 version, and no issue with speed here either. They load in an un-noticeable time here. So, not sure what is happening on your system there that they don't load fast.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 02-04-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
interjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
The Sonible AU plugins are working fine without issues.
Did you install VST or VST2 or VST3 ?
May be better change from one to another format ?
Thanks for your reply: Are you using iLok or the new machine based authorization?
Old 02-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #7
interjimmy

Quote:
I use the VST3 version, and no issue with speed here either. They load in an un-noticeable time here. So, not sure what is happening on your system there that they don't load fast.
Thanks for your reply: Are you using iLok or the new machine based authorization?
Old 02-04-2023, 05:54 PM   #8
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by interjimmy View Post
Smart Limit, EQ3, Comp2 are all on hardware iLok, and load quickly [VST3 only]
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:38 AM   #9
interjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Smart Limit, EQ3, Comp2 are all on hardware iLok, and load quickly [VST3 only]
Newer Sonible-Plugins can work on iLok or machine based authorization either. The new machine based authorization seems to have some problems. Some users of our Audioclub Intertape are using Sonible-Plugins and they have the same problems with long loading times on REAPER and on SAMPITUDE as well. Would it be possible for example to load the pure:limit plugin down and install it for the 30 days test peroid? It should show the same problematic long loading times - but as as plugin, it works really perfect.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:58 AM   #10
fmL

i have smart:limit on m1 monterey with no issues.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:48 AM   #11
interjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmL View Post
i have smart:limit on m1 monterey with no issues.
Thanks for your reply. The problem seems to be on Windows and machine-based authorization!
Old 02-10-2023, 02:17 AM   #12
interjimmy

OK, thanks to all for the replies. Certain is that the problem occurs on Win10-PCs with the new machine-based authorization only and not with the iLok authorization. Sonible claims they can't reproduce the loading delay problem, although we've seen it happen with 5 of our audio friends on different Win10-PCs with i7 processors, SSD and min. 16GB RAM. My request for help now would be for someone in this circle to download and install the pure:limit trial version. Please put pure:limit on a REAPER-track and save the project. At the following start of REAPER our Win10-PCs show a start delay of 8-10 seconds because of the pure:limit-plugin. During this start delay you can see how the pure:limit-plugin stops under the colored start graphic of Reaper. Would someone test this for us? (By the way: pure:limit itself works great - if only this annoying start delay wasn't there, which also occurs with other Sonible plugins on Win10-PCs with machine-based authorization) - thanks in advance and best regards from interjimmy
Old 02-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #13
nait

Does project size matter?

I grabbed the Pure:Limit trial, threw one instance of it on a small project, and it loads quickly. No noticeable delay at all. I don't really have interest in Pure:Limit though, so I'll be uninstalling this soon.. let me know if you needed something else tried out.

Is your machine offline or online? There's a setting for sending usage/etc data.. I assume you have this off, but I don't even have probs with this on. My machine is online.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #14
interjimmy

Quote:
Does project size matter?

I grabbed the Pure:Limit trial, threw one instance of it on a small project, and it loads quickly. No noticeable delay at all. I don't really have interest in Pure:Limit though, so I'll be uninstalling this soon.. let me know if you needed something else tried out.

Is your machine offline or online? There's a setting for sending usage/etc data.. I assume you have this off, but I don't even have probs with this on. My machine is online.
Hi Nait, first of all thank you very much for your help. It is very mysterious. We are members of the Intertape AudioClub and we are trying to use Sonible plugins on different PCs with Windows 10, Intel I7 processors, SSDs, 16 up to 32GB RAM. The problem with the low loading time was discoverd first on 2 of my PCs. I started a call to 5 other members of our AudioClub and they have the same problems. All together we do have the same problems with other Sonible plugins as well.

All machines are online of course - where do I find the settings for sendung usage/etc data.. you mentioned in your reply?
Kind regards from interjimmy
Old 02-10-2023, 03:22 PM   #15
nait

Going by memory here, as i'm not at that PC right now... but...

There's a settings wheel in the top right of Pure:Limit plugin's GUI. Click that. Then I think it was the bottom option.

On starting the trial for the first time, it asks you too if you want to relay usage data.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:47 AM   #16
interjimmy

Quote:
Going by memory here, as i'm not at that PC right now... but...

There's a settings wheel in the top right of Pure:Limit plugin's GUI. Click that. Then I think it was the bottom option.

On starting the trial for the first time, it asks you too if you want to relay usage data.
Oh yes, I know what you mean and I changed all options without any positive results.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:08 AM   #17
nait

Yah that was just a stab in the dark, that maybe it was hanging up while connecting home on start up, or something. Not sure what could be causing the problem
Old 02-11-2023, 11:52 AM   #18
pepe44

Disable anti virus or add the VST folders to be ignored.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #19
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
^^ Yes... That's about all I can think of at this point.. perhaps firewall or a/v causing slowness, especially if the plugin is dialing home for some reason, so I'd try disabling ALL of those temporarily just to confirm.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:56 AM   #20
interjimmy

Quote:
^^ Yes... That's about all I can think of at this point.. perhaps firewall or a/v causing slowness, especially if the plugin is dialing home for some reason, so I'd try disabling ALL of those temporarily just to confirm.
After some checks I think the long loading behavior is a function of processor/PC-speed and size of the Sonible plugins. You have a Ryzen 9 which is much faster as my I7-7700 with 4 cores only. Here a comparison: Fabfilters Pro-C2.dll has a size of 2426kb. It loads on my PC in aprox. 0.5 sec. - Sonibles pure:limit.dll has a size of 42341.kb - this is 17 times bigger than the Fabfilter-plugin and it needs therefore 17 times longer to load which results in aprox. 8 sec. as shown on my PC. I will confront them with these facts and I let you know .....
Old 02-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #21
interjimmy

Quote:
Thanks, we made this but nothing has changed.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:33 AM   #22
pepe44

Have you reported to Sonible? They should be able to help.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:05 AM   #23
interjimmy

Quote:
Have you reported to Sonible? They should be able to help.
Hi Pepe44, yes I am in contact with Sonible but they claim that they cannot reproduce the problem and I think, that they have by far faster PCs as we audio amateurs have them and it is a question of the dll-size how long it takes to load it .... see my mail to Nait to this topic.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:46 AM   #24
Blastrio

Same problem here. Any sonible plug takes between 20 - 25 seconds to load. I wrote to the company twice about the issue and never got an answer. Thinking about selling my license. It's a shame though, the limiter is amazing.
Blastrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:41 AM   #25
interjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastrio View Post
Same problem here. Any sonible plug takes between 20 - 25 seconds to load. I wrote to the company twice about the issue and never got an answer. Thinking about selling my license. It's a shame though, the limiter is amazing.
I am in contact with Sonible and they claim furtheron that they cannot reproduce the long loading times of their plugins. Can you please give me an information what kind of PC you are using. I am on a Win10-Desktop-PC with an I7-7700-Processor, a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM - please advise your data similiar and I can take your information for my argumentation with Sonible. Thanks in advance and best regards.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #26
Blastrio

Quote:
I am in contact with Sonible and they claim furtheron that they cannot reproduce the long loading times of their plugins. Can you please give me an information what kind of PC you are using. I am on a Win10-Desktop-PC with an I7-7700-Processor, a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM - please advise your data similiar and I can take your information for my argumentation with Sonible. Thanks in advance and best regards.
I contacted them once regarding only that, and didn't get an answer (they say they didn't get the message). Then I contacted them again regarding another topic + that, on the same message, and they answered, but they only answered regarding the other topic, not a single word on that.

And the other topic was this: I bought the Smart bundle on pluginboutique (PB). I installed the plugs, and they wouldn't show up in Reaper. Turns out that PB seem to still have the old versions of the plugs that work only with an iLock account. I then downloaded the demos from Sonible's site, authorized them with the serial I had from PB and everything worked fine, except for the "go make some coffee while these things load" problem. Considering these are bread and butter plugins, with Smart EQ and Smart comp being plugs that you'd insert in a lot of tracks, it's a deal breaker for me.
I'm having the dilemma of either selling the licenses, waiting 'till Sonible fix the issue (if they ever do), or waiting 'till I buy a new machine. This one is 7 years old, but it's still rollin'. I have something like 515 plugs and most of them load instantly (Melda, Fabfilter, Native Instruments, all kinds of synths etc.). The only other plugs that load slowly are Ozone 9 and all of Arturia's stuff.

Windows 10, up to date
Intel i7-6800k 3.4Ghz
32 Gig RAM
500 Gig SSD
Coffee machine v2.0 (system requirement for Sonible's plugs). Which also goes well with the bread and butter.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:38 AM   #27
interjimmy

Quote:
I contacted them once regarding only that, and didn't get an answer (they say they didn't get the message). Then I contacted them again regarding another topic + that, on the same message, and they answered, but they only answered regarding the other topic, not a single word on that.

And the other topic was this: I bought the Smart bundle on pluginboutique (PB). I installed the plugs, and they wouldn't show up in Reaper. Turns out that PB seem to still have the old versions of the plugs that work only with an iLock account. I then downloaded the demos from Sonible's site, authorized them with the serial I had from PB and everything worked fine, except for the "go make some coffee while these things load" problem. Considering these are bread and butter plugins, with Smart EQ and Smart comp being plugs that you'd insert in a lot of tracks, it's a deal breaker for me.
I'm having the dilemma of either selling the licenses, waiting 'till Sonible fix the issue (if they ever do), or waiting 'till I buy a new machine. This one is 7 years old, but it's still rollin'. I have something like 515 plugs and most of them load instantly (Melda, Fabfilter, Native Instruments, all kinds of synths etc.). The only other plugs that load slowly are Ozone 9 and all of Arturia's stuff.

Windows 10, up to date
Intel i7-6800k 3.4Ghz
32 Gig RAM
500 Gig SSD
Coffee machine v2.0 (system requirement for Sonible's plugs). Which also goes well with the bread and butter.
Thanks for your reply and the information about your PC which is very similar to my PC.
Take a look: Sonible plug-ins are much larger than plug-ins from other manufacturers. Therefore they need more time to be loaded. Here is an example for my Win10 PC with I7-7700, 1TB SD, 16GB RAM:

-Fabfilter ProC2.vst3 - size 2.681kb - loading time with REAPER ~ 0.5 sec.
-Sonible Pure:Limit.vst3 - size 42.341kb - loading time with REAPER ~ 8 seconds

By the way, Sonible doesn't answer to my mails anymore either and thus doesn't contribute to solve the problem. The coffee machine 2.0 is now also needed at my place and hopefully some Reaper users will read this before they also get the same problems when working with similarly equipped PCs.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:10 AM   #28
Blastrio

I forgot to mention, I also have them installed on another computer, a laptop, quite fast, an Asus ROG that I bought recently and that I use exclusively for audio and video production (it's a gaming laptop technically speaking, but there are no games installed on it). Same problem. It's on Windows 10 too.
The second time I contacted them, (because the plugs didn't show up in Reaper), I asked them about how to proceed to sell the licenses, because I was fed up with the whole authorization thing PLUS the fact that the plugs were extremely slow to load, and they tried to convince me not to sell the licenses, but like I said earlier, not a single word on the loading times issue. So I guess they're aware that it's a problem.
I think it's an issue related to the authorization process.
You mentioned the DLL size, but others on this forum don't seem to have the same problem, and besides, I have tons of other plugs, and almost all of them load relatively quickly.
I never checked DLL file sizes, but I have Omnisphere, Kontakt and some other plugs that probably have big(ger) DLLs, and they load quickly.
I also had the Focusrite FAST bundle, which I got rid of recently because of clunky authorization issues, but in their case, the plugs loaded instantly, and they use Sonible code. So, I don't know.
To be honest, the only plug I care about in the bundle is the limiter, which I think is fantastic. The other ones are very replaceable IMHO.
I've never had any convincing results with the AI thingy. I think nobody has got that right yet (from the plugins I own at least). Not even close. Not izotope, not Sonible. More of a marketing gimmick than anything else. We'll probably be seeing more and more companies throwing the AI label at their plugs in the future, plugs that will make basic 1+1=2 analysis and display regular 1+1 =2 results.
Here's an idea for audio companies: you want to develop some real AI stuff? Make a plug that makes Cardi B sound like music.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:04 AM   #29
interjimmy

Quote:
I forgot to mention, I also have them installed on another computer, a laptop, quite fast, an Asus ROG that I bought recently and that I use exclusively for audio and video production (it's a gaming laptop technically speaking, but there are no games installed on it). Same problem. It's on Windows 10 too.
The second time I contacted them, (because the plugs didn't show up in Reaper), I asked them about how to proceed to sell the licenses, because I was fed up with the whole authorization thing PLUS the fact that the plugs were extremely slow to load, and they tried to convince me not to sell the licenses, but like I said earlier, not a single word on the loading times issue. So I guess they're aware that it's a problem.
You mentioned the DLL size, but others on this forum don't seem to have the same problem, and besides, I have tons of other plugs, and almost all of them load relatively quickly.
I never checked DLL file sizes, but I have Omnisphere, Kontakt and some other plugs that probably have big(ger) DLLs, and they load quickly.
I also had the Focusrite FAST bundle, which I got rid of recently because of clunky authorization issues, but in their case, the plugs loaded instantly, and they use Sonible code. So, I don't know.
To be honest, the only plug I care about in the bundle is the limiter, which I think is fantastic. The other ones are very replaceable IMHO.
I've never had any convincing results with the AI thingy. I think nobody has got that right yet (from the plugins I own at least). Not even close. Not izotope, not Sonible. More of a marketing gimmick than anything else. We'll probably be seeing more and more companies throwing the AI label at their plugs in the future, plugs that will make basic 1+1=2 analysis and display regular 1+1 =2 results.
Here's an idea for audio companies: you want to develop some real AI stuff? Make a plug that makes Cardi B sound like music.
One of the members of our Audioclub Intertape has a Win10-PC with a Ryzen 9 7950X with 16 cores and Sonible plugins load without any delay ... I agree with you AI is part of a marketing gag at the moment and for me Sonibles pure:limit was of interest for voice recordings only. But now Sonible is completely off our plugin list - for the whole Audioclub and forever!
Old 02-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #30
norbury brook

Quote:
smart comp 2 opens instantly here on my windows 11 laptop.

M
Old 02-22-2023, 08:11 AM   #31
Blastrio

I did loding time test with some of my largest DLLs, all VST3, and here are the results:

Kontakt 6: 95 Mb -- 3 seconds
Massive X: 74 Mb -- 4 seconds
Omnisphere 2.8: 64 Mb -- 5 seconds
Replika XT: 60 Mb -- 3 seconds

SONIBLE STUFF
SmartComp2: 48 Mb -- 15 seconds
Smartlimit: 45 Mb -- 14 seconds
They take even longer to load on my laptop.

So, loading times probably have something to do with the DLL size, but that's clearly not the issue here. I still believe it's some authorization issue, and it has to do with the fact that it's machine based instead of iLok.
Tried with my antivirus and firewall disabled, same results.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:19 AM   #32
interjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
smart comp 2 opens instantly here on my windows 11 laptop.

M
Notebook does not specify it good enough - please be more specific. What kind of processor, how many cores, what kind of HDU, how many RAM - do you use iLok or the new machine based authorization? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:24 AM   #33
interjimmy

Quote:
I did loding time test with some of my largest DLLs, all VST3, and here are the results:

Kontakt 6: 95 Mb -- 3 seconds
Massive X: 74 Mb -- 4 seconds
Omnisphere 2.8: 64 Mb -- 5 seconds
Replika XT: 60 Mb -- 3 seconds

SONIBLE STUFF
SmartComp2: 48 Mb -- 15 seconds
Smartlimit: 45 Mb -- 14 seconds
They take even longer to load on my laptop.

So, loading times probably have something to do with the DLL size, but that's clearly not the issue here. I still believe it's some authorization issue, and it has to do with the fact that it's machine based instead of iLok.
Tried with my antivirus and firewall disabled, same results.
This refers very good to my messurements - keeping in mind that my processor is a little bit faster than yours ... so it may be a bad combination between too large dlls and a very slow authorization method ...

Here again the example for my Win10 PC with I7-7700, 1TB SD, 16GB RAM:

-Fabfilter ProC2.vst3 - size 2.681kb - loading time with REAPER ~ 0.5 sec.
-Sonible Pure:Limit.vst3 - size 42.341kb - loading time with REAPER ~ 8 seconds
Old 02-28-2023, 03:34 AM   #34
norbury brook

Quote:
Notebook does not specify it good enough - please be more specific. What kind of processor, how many cores, what kind of HDU, how many RAM - do you use iLok or the new machine based authorization? Thanks in advance.
machine based.

Rog Zephyrus M16
Intel 12900
32 gigs DDR5 ram
2 TB NVMe
NVIDIA 3070

Windows 11

M
Old 02-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #35
interjimmy

Quote:
machine based.

Rog Zephyrus M16
Intel 12900
32 gigs DDR5 ram
2 TB NVMe
NVIDIA 3070

Windows 11

M
Hi thanks - your I9 is by far faster than my I7 - so the plugins load much faster ... It seems that Sonible does not want this to be true .... unfortunately ...
Old 02-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #36
Blastrio

Quote:
Hi thanks - your I9 is by far faster than my I7 - so the plugins load much faster ... It seems that Sonible does not want this to be true .... unfortunately ...
I'm pretty sure CPU power, or RaM or whatever have nothing to do in this case. I have plugs that are larger, way more CPU intensive, and they load normally.
I believe this has to do with authorization and Windows 10. My laptop has a faster CPU than my desktop and I have the same problem (Win10 as well).
CPU does influence losing times of course, but it should be negligible in this case. A few milliseconds. One second tops. There is absolutely no way that the difference between those two cPUs should be 15 seconds, or 8 or whatever.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:39 AM   #37
norbury brook

are we sure this isn't just an ilok issue? As i said I have mine on machine authorisation and they open as fast as any plugin.

M
Old 02-28-2023, 10:56 AM   #38
Blastrio

Quote:
are we sure this isn't just an ilok issue? As i said I have mine on machine authorisation and they open as fast as any plugin.

M
I'm on machine authorization too. They take about 15 seconds to load. Doesn't happen with other plugs.
I guess I'll contact them one last time, and if they don't answer, I'll sell the licenses.
There are way too many alternatives nowadays to even bother.
The only reason why I'm hesitating is because maybe if I switch to a new computer, they might work perfectly. And I do love the plugs themselves.

Last edited by Blastrio; 02-28-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #39
interjimmy

Default Good news!

Quote:
I'm on machine authorization too. They take about 15 seconds to load. Doesn't happen with other plugs.
I guess I'll contact them one last time, and if they don't answer, I'll sell the licenses.
There are way too many alternatives nowadays to even bother.
The only reason why I'm hesitating is because maybe if I switch to a new computer, they might work perfectly. And I do love the plugs themselves.
Good news! Sonible has contacted me and asked me just to install iLok without registrating any Sonbible-Plugin and whether the plugins load fast on my PC afterwords?
I have installed iLok without registrating anything and the Sonible-Plugins run as fast as others. This may be a work around at the moment and they will provide now a solution. I will keep you informed ....
Old 03-07-2023, 01:09 PM   #40
Blastrio

Quote:
Good news! Sonible has contacted me and asked me just to install iLok without registrating any Sonbible-Plugin and whether the plugins load fast on my PC afterwords?
I have installed iLok without registrating anything and the Sonible-Plugins run as fast as others. This may be a work around at the moment and they will provide now a solution. I will keep you informed ....
That's what I thought. It's good news in a way, because at least we've identified the culprit. But I've always resisted installing anything iLok on my machines, and I won't start today. So, hoping they find a solution for machine-based users.
Won't be selling my licenses yet I guess.

And thanks for your work on that. At least, you got a reply from them.
Indeed, keep us informed if they release new versions that fix that (or on any news regarding that for that matter).

Cheers.