Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #3361
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman002 View Post
HI

Long Time that I have made new FXs in ReaLearn, but:

Instead of FX Plugs, can I make a ReaLearn Preset only for the Midi Editor?

I'm asking before I do a lot of work and then it's not possible

Thanks
Heinz.

EDIT: Done now with a Modifier, but perhaps there's another way!
You mean activating a certain preset or certain mappings only if a MIDI editor is focused?
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #3362
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Anyone know if realearn will work with behringer x32 setup as a controller? Or do they interface some other way?
I've heard x32 users making it work using OSC. There are some basic instructions in the official controller list of ReaLearn (reachable via help menu).
Old 03-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #3363
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I would like to disable some tagged mappings only during playback/recording, and I want to enable them when Reaper's stopped/paused.

What's a good way to go about that?
This is done using target-based conditional activation, i.e. "Active" set to "When target value met". The idea is to reference an other mapping that has the transport target with action "Play/stop" and then use an expression "y > 0" (playing) or "y == 0" (stopped).

The mappings don't need to be tagged for this to work.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:33 PM   #3364
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgameaudio View Post
Thanks for the help! the touch issue was an easy one... yep, touch the fader before pressing "learn"

I don't think I perfectly understand the suggestions with tags and groups - but it seems like these are methods for filtering so i can more quickly assign the targets.

I seem to have gotten closer to what I want to do, I updated to 2.15.0-pre, and it has a "Modify Mapping" function. I set up the Ch1 "rec" button to map everything else in the Ch1 group! So if I move a control, and then press the rec button, everything in the channel gets the correct parameter.

HOWEVER - The touch control changes to the wrong type. Is there a way I can set the touch control to ALWAYS be automation touch for whatever the Ch1 fader is assigned to? Can I do that in the "Advanced Settings" with YAML? Just like... get the target for Fader 1, and perform as automation touch for whatever that is. Whether it be a volume knob, an FX parameter, a send value, etc.

Similarly, I want to set the "Select" button to show/hide the FX window for that parameter. I also want to be able to set my physical pan knob to be the volume for the channel, etc.

Maybe a FR for @Helgoboss, I love the "Modify Mapping" feature!

1. Can we select more than one mapping to modify? Currently, I am duplicating this function for each control. I'm using a single button to map 8 things to the same target.

2. Can we lock the "Type" on the target mapping? So the "Modify Mapping" feature would direct it to the correct track, FX, Parameter, but it could still be a "Solo" button for the track it just learned? If this wont work, maybe I'm using the wrong feature.
I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. And I think it's not 100% possible at the moment.

From what I understand, a specific channel strip on your controller doesn't always target the same track. It targets the track of the FX parameter which you have last learned for the fader of that channel strip. This is what makes it difficult. If the channel strip would always target the same track, it would be a whole lot easier.

"Modify mapping" is the correct way to make ReaLearn learn a new FX parameter for a given fader. So far so good, that should work.

The first problem arises when you want the channel LCD to display info about that FX parameter. The mapping to drive the channel LCD display is another mapping than the one for the fader, obviously. You would need a way to set the target of that LCD mapping to the very same FX parameter target than the fader mapping. Then it would work. But that's not possible since "Modify mapping" only supports learning one mapping target at a time. Not something that I plan to change.

The second problem arises when you want the other channel strip elements to follow the track of the FX whose parameter you learned. It's not possible to use "Modify mapping" to learn only part of the target, e.g. only the track. Also not something that I plan to change.

I think the most straightforward way to enable this kind of things would be if I add two things:

1) a new type of target "Borrow" which allows one to pick another mapping whose target to "borrow". The LCD mapping could then easily say "hey, I want to work with exactly the same target as the fader mapping".

2) new track/FX/send/parameter selectors "Borrow" which allow one to pick another mapping whose track/FX/send/parameter to borrow. Then the remaining channel strip elements could easily target the same track as the fader.

Please create 2 FRs if this would help you.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #3365
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veins View Post
Hey people,

I am new to Realearn but I'm thrilled by this project as it offers endless possibilities.
I've recently purcheased a M-Audio ProjectMix and it really allows me to make this old gear a tremendous controller.

However, I'm having a few technical issues.

The one worth mentioning here concerns display. Is there anyway to control the number of digits in the decimals? My FX plugins are sending back overdetailed numbers that are not really practical to use. I looked into the documentation but could not find anything detailed.

Also, I am currently using two instances of ReaLearn for the same controller (the ProjectMix). I have a total of nearly 200 items and I want to use the auto-load for adapted configuration for my favourite FX plugins.
The idea is to have a stable ReaLearn for general controls that do not change and a ReaLearn for my knobs that are loaded while clicking on some specific plugins. This way, only necessary items are reloaded by Realearn and not the general ones.

However, since I started doing this, Reaper has been crashing pretty badly (unable to kill the process afterwards, I need to restart the computer) but I still have not managed to identify the actions responsible for this.
Would you say my strategy is inappropriate and I should proceed otherwise?

Anyway Benjamin, if you're reading this, thanks for that amazing piece of software!
As for the LCD digits: There's currently no way to influence that. I want to add further text modification possibilities in future and there's one FR for that (#683). If you could comment there adding your specific example, that would be cool.

As for the two instances: In general, this is the strategy that I recommend. One with auto-load enabled and another one for the normal stuff. I have no idea why this would cause crashing. Which kind of crashing? Any error message? Can you send the project file to info@helgoboss.org? If you use ReaLearn as monitoring FX, make sure to copy it to the project before saving the project.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #3366
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
yeah this is as of the most recent pres, it's been reported, Helgoboss is probably up to his ears in this message.
I can't fix it right now but once I'm back in my working environment, I can quickly fix that.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:52 PM   #3367
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Hi, your link for single onetime donation via paypal does not work.

One question: i am using realearn quite project exclusive and would like to save a dedicatet file into my project folder as i am workin in different workspaces. Is this possible only with LUA? Do i need to copy the mappings to the clipboard and paste it into a text editor?
Why cant we export a mapping preset as a realearn exclusive file and choose the directory freely?
Oops, thanks for reporting. Now this is a really serious bug! I need to look into the donation links then.

Why do you want to save the mappings as file? As a kind of backup? Yes, export and paste in a text editor would do it. Lua or JSON, up to you.

Export to file directly is simply not implemented. I always found import/export via clipboard to be more straightforward and fast. No need to go the file detour. But yes, I guess for some scenarios, files can be nice. So tell me about your scenario and why you do it like that.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #3368
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladistone View Post
Hi there!
Tell me, are there any ways of realearn or tools for intercepting hidden DAW events that the reaper receives/sends to the MCU controller?
but are not captured by normal tools such as the MIDI monitor app?

for group buttons MCU w/functions feedback such as:
- Shift, Option, Control, Alt (not to be confused with ASCII-keystroke)
- Escape, Enter, Undo
- Global, User, Groupe e t.c.

the first example that I paid attention to is the UNDO button, which receives a signal for any change in the FX parameter

My idea is that there are GUI events ( such for "Compare" button) that don't send messages to external controllers, but it's possible to track them! but costly because:
Changing of state cannot be used as a trigger unless the state generates an event. But to continuously poll and application's state would be prohibitively expensive in CPU and battery.

So, If by receiving events for the UNDO button - then it is possible to use it as a trigger to record initiator of the another event (for example: "Compare" button)!

NOTE:

I immediately dissect the arguments on the account of the fact that:
"there are the UNDO / REDO or ⌘ + Z / ⇧ + ⌘ + Z keystroke - have to use for these purposes!"

the answer is obvious:
there can be many manipulations in the change chain when adjusting the FX parameters, and the "compare" button manipulates all of them at one click.
"bypass" has other restrictions on starting or turning off FX in real time.
What do you want to do? Tell me more about the "What", not the "How". Then I hope I can help you. Maybe you want to display the undo history on your hardware display?
Old 03-28-2023, 12:59 PM   #3369
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enz View Post
@Helgoboss

just reporting a small bug i picked up on...
may already have been sorted

if there is a value (value sequence) inside of incremental/normal on the glue section

this disables the toggle Target min/max from showing up, when you choose to change the mode selection(toggle/inc/norm)
whatever the previous value was in the value sequence(normal/incremental)
it seems to remain the same target Min/Max in the toggle(even though you cannot see it)

so effectively you need to remove the value inside of the Value sequence and then change to toggle at which point the min/max become available again, but with the previous value on the min/max that was previously set
instead of the default (min=0 max=100)
Oh, thanks for reporting! I'm adding a GitHub issue
Old 03-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #3370
Bassman002

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
You mean activating a certain preset or certain mappings only if a MIDI editor is focused?
Hi

Yes, exactly. Moving Notes , changing notes or use Chordgun in the Midi Editor with the Controller.

I mean all Actions from Midi Editor. I have this now with a Modifier Key, so no great Problem at all, but it would be nicer if it works like with a plugin on Focus.

Greetz
Bassman.
Bassman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #3371
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi

Yes, exactly. Moving Notes , changing notes or use Chordgun in the Midi Editor with the Controller.

I mean all Actions from Midi Editor. I have this now with a Modifier Key, so no great Problem at all, but it would be nicer if it works like with a plugin on Focus.

Greetz
Bassman.
Not possible. I guess I would need to improve the auto-load feature. Mmh, maybe add a new entry in FX-to-preset links menu: "MIDI editor". Then it should be named differently though. Need to think about that. In any case, please create an FR, otherwise I will forget about it
Old 03-30-2023, 07:30 AM   #3372
mozart999uk

Arrggh - dunno if you can help. I've updated my waves plugins (stupid boy).The ones I have mapped to my midi fighter twister via realearn, when I turn any knob the audio glitches like hell.

I've tried re-learning source and target but it's the same.

It's fine moving the knobs with the mouse and or the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Other plugins work fine.

Happy to go back to waves tech support but thought I'd check in here first.

As an example I'm using waves scheps omni vst3, waveshell 14.12 x64. Realearn 2.14.3 x86_64 rev 68c524. Reaper 6.77 and windows 10.
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #3373
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Arrggh - dunno if you can help. I've updated my waves plugins (stupid boy).The ones I have mapped to my midi fighter twister via realearn, when I turn any knob the audio glitches like hell.

I've tried re-learning source and target but it's the same.

It's fine moving the knobs with the mouse and or the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Other plugins work fine.

Happy to go back to waves tech support but thought I'd check in here first.

As an example I'm using waves scheps omni vst3, waveshell 14.12 x64. Realearn 2.14.3 x86_64 rev 68c524. Reaper 6.77 and windows 10.
Couple things:

Is it just waves?. Sorry! I promise I can read.

Take Realearn out of the equation for a minute and just use Reaper’s midi learn system and see what happens then.

Also what happens when you automate a parameter on one of these plugins.

All of those should help you/us nail down who you should be talking to.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:01 AM   #3374
mozart999uk

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

So if I use a fresh version of realearn and start mapping from scratch it's fine, so it seems my mappings are the problem.

With my existing mapping (I'm using focused FX if that helps) it glitches when I record the automation but glitches much less when I play it back.

I've also noticed that I'm getting random RT CPU red spikes (which stay maxed) when using my original mapping which go away when I take the plugin off line.

This doesn't happen when using a vanilla mapping....

For some reason I can't get reapers midi learn to work at all....

EDIT: OK so I completely re did the mapping for one plugin and it's fine now. :-)

Last edited by mozart999uk; 03-30-2023 at 10:05 AM. Reason: thought of something else
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #3375
Bassman002

Quote:
Not possible. I guess I would need to improve the auto-load feature. Mmh, maybe add a new entry in FX-to-preset links menu: "MIDI editor". Then it should be named differently though. Need to think about that. In any case, please create an FR, otherwise I will forget about it
Now I can remember what the problem is!
That it's not possible doesn't matter, I can't choose an action from the Midi-Editor Action List when I choose "invoke Reaper Action"

So to do it with a Modifier is absolutely OK but I should be able to "Pick Up" an action from the Midi-Editor List. ChordGun for example has all actions not in the Main Action List. Midi Editor should be in Focus to use these commands.

Thanks
Bassman.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:31 AM   #3376
helgoboss

Quote:
Now I can remember what the problem is!
That it's not possible doesn't matter, I can't choose an action from the Midi-Editor Action List when I choose "invoke Reaper Action"

So to do it with a Modifier is absolutely OK but I should be able to "Pick Up" an action from the Midi-Editor List. ChordGun for example has all actions not in the Main Action List. Midi Editor should be in Focus to use these commands.

Thanks
Bassman.
You are looking for this FR: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/422

But there's a workaround: Create a ReaScript which invokes the MIDI editor action and then use that ReaScript with ReaLearn. Yea I know, not very elegant.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:52 AM   #3377
Bassman002

Quote:

But there's a workaround: Create a ReaScript which invokes the MIDI editor action and then use that ReaScript with ReaLearn. Yea I know, not very elegant.
Aah OK! I forgot about that
Nice!

Thanks
Bassman.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #3378
alexgameaudio

Quote:
I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. And I think it's not 100% possible at the moment.

From what I understand, a specific channel strip on your controller doesn't always target the same track. It targets the track of the FX parameter which you have last learned for the fader of that channel strip. This is what makes it difficult. If the channel strip would always target the same track, it would be a whole lot easier.

"Modify mapping" is the correct way to make ReaLearn learn a new FX parameter for a given fader. So far so good, that should work.

The first problem arises when you want the channel LCD to display info about that FX parameter. The mapping to drive the channel LCD display is another mapping than the one for the fader, obviously. You would need a way to set the target of that LCD mapping to the very same FX parameter target than the fader mapping. Then it would work. But that's not possible since "Modify mapping" only supports learning one mapping target at a time. Not something that I plan to change.

The second problem arises when you want the other channel strip elements to follow the track of the FX whose parameter you learned. It's not possible to use "Modify mapping" to learn only part of the target, e.g. only the track. Also not something that I plan to change.

I think the most straightforward way to enable this kind of things would be if I add two things:

1) a new type of target "Borrow" which allows one to pick another mapping whose target to "borrow". The LCD mapping could then easily say "hey, I want to work with exactly the same target as the fader mapping".

2) new track/FX/send/parameter selectors "Borrow" which allow one to pick another mapping whose track/FX/send/parameter to borrow. Then the remaining channel strip elements could easily target the same track as the fader.

Please create 2 FRs if this would help you.
Thank you! The "Borrow" mapping sounds like it would be perfect for my use case. I made feature requests here:

https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/836
https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/837

Question: Would this enable me to do this?

Use Learn Target to map a fader
As a result, other channel strip functions are automatically mapped:
- Fader touch - Touch automation
- Select button - Show/Hide the FX window this parameter belongs to
- Mute button - Enable/Disable the FX this parameter belongs to
- Solo button - solos the track the parameter is on
- Record button - change automation setting for this track

In other words, will I be able to derive the track this FX parameter belongs to, so I can mute the track? Because the source mapping has references to the FX parameter, the FX, and the track.

This would be absolutely killer for sound design and I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else doing this.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:59 AM   #3379
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgameaudio View Post
Thank you! The "Borrow" mapping sounds like it would be perfect for my use case. I made feature requests here:

https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/836
https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/837

Question: Would this enable me to do this?

Use Learn Target to map a fader
As a result, other channel strip functions are automatically mapped:
- Fader touch - Touch automation
- Select button - Show/Hide the FX window this parameter belongs to
- Mute button - Enable/Disable the FX this parameter belongs to
- Solo button - solos the track the parameter is on
- Record button - change automation setting for this track

In other words, will I be able to derive the track this FX parameter belongs to, so I can mute the track? Because the source mapping has references to the FX parameter, the FX, and the track.

This would be absolutely killer for sound design and I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else doing this.
Yes, this should be possible then.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:32 AM   #3380
Bassman002

Quote:

Hi

Can't get it to work. What do you mean with "Create a ReaScript"? Custom Action doesn't work, cause it's not seen in the Main List and I cannot copy or Export/Import it to the Main List.

So there must be an mystic way to accomplish this

Thanks
Bassman.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:43 AM   #3381
helgoboss

Quote:
Hi

Can't get it to work. What do you mean with "Create a ReaScript"? Custom Action doesn't work, cause it's not seen in the Main List and I cannot copy or Export/Import it to the Main List.

So there must be an mystic way to accomplish this

Thanks
Bassman.
You create a Lua script from the actions window. And there you write some Lua code like reaper.IForgotTheFunctionName() to call the MIDI editor action. I don't have access to a computer these days, so you need to have a look yourself or other ReaScripters might help.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:03 PM   #3382
djfrodo

Default Setting Feedback Colors for the original Launch Control

First, I just want to thank you for writing Realearn, it's truly awesome.

My question is how to set feedback colors for various actions using a Launch Control (or for that matter any hardware).

I've read the Realearn dev docs and the LaunchControl Programmer's Reference and I'm so out of my element it's kind of humorous.

The Launch Control Reference can be found here: https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrit...ence-guide.pdf

I'm using Realearn because it shows feedback when changing track state in Reaper - for example Mute, Solo, and Arm.

Basically I've set the Launch Control's side to side arrow buttons to change tracks and allow the bottom row of buttons to show state.

Realearn also handles changing control of Pan and Volume of the selected track.

For the buttons the feedback is always yellow.

I want to change the feedback color (and maybe blinking and intensity) in Realearn of as much of the Launch Control as possible, but even after reading the docs I have no idea where to start.

Can you give just one simple example of the return message I need in Realearn to change the color? (maybe to red)

A great example would be for the Mute/Unmute action on the selected track (same with solo and arm).

I know it should be in the Glue section, but I'm lost in terms of whether it should be an RBG color value, Binary, Hex, whatever.

If you read this, thanks so much.
djfrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:01 PM   #3383
7enz

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfrodo View Post
First, I just want to thank you for writing Realearn, it's truly awesome.

My question is how to set feedback colors for various actions using a Launch Control (or for that matter any hardware).

I've read the Realearn dev docs and the LaunchControl Programmer's Reference and I'm so out of my element it's kind of humorous.

The Launch Control Reference can be found here: https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrit...ence-guide.pdf

I'm using Realearn because it shows feedback when changing track state in Reaper - for example Mute, Solo, and Arm.

Basically I've set the Launch Control's side to side arrow buttons to change tracks and allow the bottom row of buttons to show state.

Realearn also handles changing control of Pan and Volume of the selected track.

For the buttons the feedback is always yellow.

I want to change the feedback color (and maybe blinking and intensity) in Realearn of as much of the Launch Control as possible, but even after reading the docs I have no idea where to start.

Can you give just one simple example of the return message I need in Realearn to change the color? (maybe to red)

A great example would be for the Mute/Unmute action on the selected track (same with solo and arm).

I know it should be in the Glue section, but I'm lost in terms of whether it should be an RBG color value, Binary, Hex, whatever.

If you read this, thanks so much.
i approached this using my Maschine Jam
1. map your source button on your controller
2. change (or move the sliders) the source min/max in the glue section (you should see the colors change)

your 2 states of the led colours are based on the min/max values
if you wanted extra states.. you would need to use the enable/disable mappings function and tag the mapping group(within the edit button section on the main)
it gets a bit messing doing that... but extra states can be had.... using enable/disable mapping option and setting up a separate toggle states and led states

making it blink etc... unsure about that

Last edited by 7enz; 03-31-2023 at 05:16 PM.
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:12 PM   #3384
djfrodo

Quote:
i approached this using my Maschine Jam
1. map your source button on your controller
2. change the source min/max in the glue section (you should see the colors change)
O.k. so I just tried this and it is working in terms of changing colors and intensities - progress!

Thanks.

Now I need to figure out how to make it stay when a button is pushed.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:52 PM   #3385
djfrodo

Default Quick Question (for 7enz or anyone)

7enz, or anyone, if I'm using action, which works, and I just want a button to light up when pushed and then go off, how would I do that?
Old 03-31-2023, 06:32 PM   #3386
foxAsteria

Quote:
This is done using target-based conditional activation
OMG so easy! Thank you!!!
Old 03-31-2023, 06:46 PM   #3387
7enz

Quote:
7enz, or anyone, if I'm using action, which works, and I just want a button to light up when pushed and then go off, how would I do that?
you would need to first make sure your button you are mapping has a midi-gate built into the hardware button...
*not all CC hardware buttons act in gate mode... and often only have trigger or toggle mode

if you use a note button... and have that specific note and channel isolated for just changing midi messages.(so no VSTi is triggered)
you would then map the note(gated)-button
set the toggle button inside realearn for on/off

or normal
for only while held/release

or incremental which allows values to be cycled&wrapped
a gate type hardware button is more useful than a trigger only button....

as with the (Hardware)gate type buttons... you can use hold/doublepress or single press
where as trigger type buttons can only utilise the single press or double press as it will tend to activate both upon press

Last edited by 7enz; 03-31-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:38 PM   #3388
7enz

Quote:
i did a quick video... on using enable/disable mapping &using exclusive tags or non-exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYT21fQFDk

another video here might be useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otkcMh8V1p4

or possibly this one (which shows some of the mappings using dynamic mode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHvAkIcbPU

Last edited by 7enz; 03-31-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:09 PM   #3389
Vladistone

Quote:
What do you want to do? Tell me more about the "What", not the "How". Then I hope I can help you. Maybe you want to display the undo history on your hardware display?
I would like to display GUI parameter changes that are not broadcast by the MCU control driver as MIDI messages back to the MCU's LCD-scruble strip or buttons LED of MCU.
For example as in Logic pro X: GUI "compare" buttom
- When manipulating the FX or VSTi parameters the GUI-button lights up in blue, indicating that the sound processing parameters have changed and they can be compare with the previous settings. Pressing this button each time it returns the values of all changed parameters to the default state and pressing it again restores all changes.
But at the same time, this button in LPX is not a standard MIDI element for the Logic control driver and, accordingly, to make the respond controller on GUI changes have to use an applescript to track changes and convert it into a MIDI message and which wiil be send to the controller distination...

1. I would like to use these controller LEDs for similar identifications with the GUI elements described above.

There are also button elements of the controller with LED backlighting and which have the ability to be reassigned to the MCU emulation mode for which LED signaling is not provided and therefore

2. I Would like use these elements of controller (as a shift, alt, option, control) for set as a LED-targers signalisation in depending DAW states.

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-31-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:07 AM   #3390
helgoboss

Quote:
I would like to display GUI parameter changes that are not broadcast by the MCU control driver as MIDI messages back to the MCU's LCD-scruble strip or buttons LED of MCU.
For example as in Logic pro X: GUI "compare" buttom
- When manipulating the FX or VSTi parameters the GUI-button lights up in blue, indicating that the sound processing parameters have changed and they can be compare with the previous settings. Pressing this button each time it returns the values of all changed parameters to the default state and pressing it again restores all changes.
But at the same time, this button in LPX is not a standard MIDI element for the Logic control driver and, accordingly, to make the respond controller on GUI changes have to use an applescript to track changes and convert it into a MIDI message and which wiil be send to the controller distination...

1. I would like to use these controller LEDs for similar identifications with the GUI elements described above.

There are also button elements of the controller with LED backlighting and which have the ability to be reassigned to the MCU emulation mode for which LED signaling is not provided and therefore

2. I Would like use these elements of controller (as a shift, alt, option, control) for set as a LED-targers signalisation in depending DAW states.
So you have a controller with LEDs that indicate the current parameter values. Now you want to press a button on your controller which makes the LEDs indicate which values these parameters had *in the past*. Is that correct?
Old 04-01-2023, 05:36 AM   #3391
Vladistone

Quote:
So you have a controller with LEDs that indicate the current parameter values. Now you want to press a button on your controller which makes the LEDs indicate which values these parameters had *in the past*. Is that correct?
No, that's not true...
We have two DAW parameters groups:
1. that change when certain MCU controls are manipulated according to default assignments;
2. and there are some DAW GUI elements that change their appearance in the FX/VSTi window without generating an event for the MCU controller.
I wish to get second group GUI events to be recognized by Realearn and transform them into MIDI messages to send to the controller as parallel "screen events" signaling...

But the next setup of manipulation from the controller to the GUI is the next stage for Realearn (this part is clear enough for me).

Last edited by Vladistone; 04-01-2023 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:01 AM   #3392
helgoboss

Quote:
No, that's not true...
1. that change when certain MCU controls are manipulated according to default assignments;
2. and there are some DAW GUI elements that change their appearance in the FX/VSTi window without generating an event for the MCU controller.
I wish to get second group GUI events to be recognized by Realearn and transform them into MIDI messages to send to the controller as parallel "screen events" signaling...

But the next setup of manipulation from the controller to the GUI is the next stage for Realearn (this part is clear enough for me).
I don't think that's possible. From what it sounds like, you are talking about something very plug-in specific. Displaying a different GUI page within a plug-in doesn't usually cause any event that a software like ReaLearn could tap into in order to do something useful when it occurs. In other words, there's usually no clean (non-hacky) way to detect when such a GUI page change occurs.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #3393
henu

Hey! Id love to have a "record armed" target mode. Sometimes the selection gets off the track I'm workin on and would love to have realern keep only controlling the track thats record armed at the moment
henu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:55 AM   #3394
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by henu View Post
Hey! Id love to have a "record armed" target mode. Sometimes the selection gets off the track I'm workin on and would love to have realern keep only controlling the track thats record armed at the moment
You mean like track "<Selected>" but instead "<Record armed>" ... so controlling the first record-armed track in the project?
Old 04-01-2023, 09:11 AM   #3395
blinddrew

Default Track select relative to current track

I'm just discovering the power of ReaLearn and how much extra control and convenience it gives you compared to the standard midi-learn capabilities of Reaper, but there's one thing I haven't figured out how to do yet - and I'm not sure if it's possible at all.

I have a controller (Qube Mobi One) that has a Track select encoder. This sends a midi note signal on Channels 7 and 8 allowing up to 200 unique values.
I've currently got this set so that Note 1 selects channel 1, Note 2 selects channel 2, etc. etc. Which is how the designer intended it to work on Cubase.

Because I use multiple controllers I have multiple ways of selecting tracks, so if I've jumped around a bit the encoder on the Mobi One can be quite a way off the currently selected track.
So what I'd like the encoder to do is move up or down the track selection relative to the currently selected track.

So the question is, can ReaLearn just look for a 'note up' or 'note down' signal (that I can map to the action Go to next track) rather than looking for a specific midi note?
Or am I asking too much?

P.S. Paypal one time donation is working now. ;¬)
blinddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:13 AM   #3396
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
I'm just discovering the power of ReaLearn and how much extra control and convenience it gives you compared to the standard midi-learn capabilities of Reaper, but there's one thing I haven't figured out how to do yet - and I'm not sure if it's possible at all.

I have a controller (Qube Mobi One) that has a Track select encoder. This sends a midi note signal on Channels 7 and 8 allowing up to 200 unique values.
I've currently got this set so that Note 1 selects channel 1, Note 2 selects channel 2, etc. etc. Which is how the designer intended it to work on Cubase.

Because I use multiple controllers I have multiple ways of selecting tracks, so if I've jumped around a bit the encoder on the Mobi One can be quite a way off the currently selected track.
So what I'd like the encoder to do is move up or down the track selection relative to the currently selected track.

So the question is, can ReaLearn just look for a 'note up' or 'note down' signal (that I can map to the action Go to next track) rather than looking for a specific midi note?
Or am I asking too much?

P.S. Paypal one time donation is working now. ;¬)
Please put ReaControlMIDI on a track, show the log and make a complete clockwise turn of your knob. If it's an endless encoder, keep turning a bit even after the maximum value has been reached, so I see which messages (if any) it keeps sending in that case. Post the result here. Then I will see what's the right strategy.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #3397
blinddrew

Quote:
Please put ReaControlMIDI on a track, show the log and make a complete clockwise turn of your knob. If it's an endless encoder, keep turning a bit even after the maximum value has been reached, so I see which messages (if any) it keeps sending in that case. Post the result here. Then I will see what's the right strategy.
Thank you, I'm about to head out but I'll do that tomorrow and report back. Much appreciated. :¬)
blinddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:31 PM   #3398
7enz

Quote:
No, that's not true...

im guessing here... but usually there is a switch involved or a parameter value has to be met before the VSTi applies the change(which then brings forward other parameters)
so if you know which switch or parameter value is needed for the change to take place,
then i believe some sort of conditional activation could be instituted to signal the event(based on the trigger/toggle value of the parameter)

ive seen this behaviour occur in many VST's...where the extra FXparameter's only become available at the point where a value is reached

so knowing the FXparameter name and the triggering parameter value is probably your starting point.
goodluck

Last edited by 7enz; 04-01-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #3399
Vladistone

Quote:
im guessing here... but usually there is a switch involved or a parameter value has to be met before the VSTi applies the change(which then brings forward other parameters)
so if you know which switch or parameter value is needed for the change to take place,
then i believe some sort of conditional activation could be instituted to signal the event(based on the trigger/toggle value of the parameter)

ive seen this behaviour occur in many VST's...where the extra FXparameter's only become available at the point where a value is reached

so knowing the FXparameter name and the triggering parameter value is probably your starting point.
goodluck
You exactly understand the essence of my request! Such GUI events are usually "caught" by GUI Scripting (doesn't matter how or what tool: reascript, applescript, javascript, Lua or JSON).
My idea was based on the fact that if such "tricks"/triggers are used by Logic pro X and applescript users, then it will not be impossible for reascript and Realearn users...

And I was hoping that the forum has a similar experience with a combination of GUI-scripting&Reaper&realearn
to read GUI elements there are different applications like UI Brouser

Last edited by Vladistone; 04-01-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:48 PM   #3400
7enz

Quote:
You exactly understand the essence of my request! Such GUI events are usually "caught" by GUI Scripting (doesn't matter how or what tool: reascript, applescript, javascript, Lua or JSON).
My idea was based on the fact that if such "tricks"/triggers are used by Logic pro X and applescript users, then it will not be impossible for reascript and Realearn users...

And I was hoping that the forum has a similar experience with a combination of GUI-scripting&Reaper&realearn
to read GUI elements there are different applications like UI Brouser
knowing what you were referring to and how to go about solving it for your personal use case... are 2 different things.

we can only utilise the existing functions in Realearn... and go about trying to implement the logic and output... as far as what to use...

does target parameter min or max meet conditions
send message to light up led
*shrugs