Old 03-20-2023, 05:59 PM   #1
KaufmanStudios
Human being with feelings

Default Windows10 Controllers

Hi Everyone - I chose this forum for my post, embracing the "no question is dumb" concept. I am a recovering Cubase DAW user, and in the past few months, after spending way too much time, money and always fixing what was breaking in Cubase for years, I made the decision to move to Reaper as my (hopefully) go to platform. Apologies for what I hope can be a concise post, but I want to provide enough information for my ask to eliminate unnecessary responses.

I want to use Reaper with a controller. I chose to start conservatively by selecting the KORG nanoKontrol2.

- it didn't work, plug and play (or so far at all). I have reviewed countless videos and blogs looking for the magic bullet, which always seems to come back to Klinke, but I can't get Reaper to list Klinke in the CC drop down. I have downloaded and confirmed the download directories multiple times, following the Klinke PDF to the letter, still no entries other than Mackie Universal and Extensions in the drop down.
- thought it might just be the KORG device, so I looked at other controller hardware and I like the Behringer X-Touch Compact, but before spending significantly more for that device, I was pretty sure that when I plugged that unit in, I still would not get the CC drop down entries needed to make it work.

The online resources that I found included more than one reference about a Windows limit on MIDI devices, with the fix involving editing the Windows registry, which sounds like a really risky and most likely bad idea.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing? I have a planned recording session in the next two weeks, and I would really prefer not limping back to Cubase.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
KaufmanStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:13 AM   #2
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaufmanStudios View Post
Hi Everyone - I chose this forum for my post, embracing the "no question is dumb" concept. I am a recovering Cubase DAW user, and in the past few months, after spending way too much time, money and always fixing what was breaking in Cubase for years, I made the decision to move to Reaper as my (hopefully) go to platform. Apologies for what I hope can be a concise post, but I want to provide enough information for my ask to eliminate unnecessary responses.

I want to use Reaper with a controller. I chose to start conservatively by selecting the KORG nanoKontrol2.

- it didn't work, plug and play (or so far at all). I have reviewed countless videos and blogs looking for the magic bullet, which always seems to come back to Klinke, but I can't get Reaper to list Klinke in the CC drop down. I have downloaded and confirmed the download directories multiple times, following the Klinke PDF to the letter, still no entries other than Mackie Universal and Extensions in the drop down.
- thought it might just be the KORG device, so I looked at other controller hardware and I like the Behringer X-Touch Compact, but before spending significantly more for that device, I was pretty sure that when I plugged that unit in, I still would not get the CC drop down entries needed to make it work.

The online resources that I found included more than one reference about a Windows limit on MIDI devices, with the fix involving editing the Windows registry, which sounds like a really risky and most likely bad idea.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing? I have a planned recording session in the next two weeks, and I would really prefer not limping back to Cubase.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Does the Korg show up in Options->Preferences, Audio->MIDI Devices? If so is it enabled for 'Control' in the MIDI inputs section?
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:31 AM   #3
Softsynth

Korg devices have a nasty habit of becoming unavailable after a number of other Midi devices have been installed pushing their midi device number off the list.
They run out of spaces in the software, it's ridiculous but there it is, evidently bad design in this regard.

The solution is to to uninstall any manufacturers MIDI devices until the number of your Korg device in Windows drops low enough to be visible. Without looking I can't remember the figure, but get it back into the single digits and you're quite safe.

Basically it's just a question of uninstalling other devices with this Korg app.
As soon as you plug the other devices in they can take higher numbers and work perfectly happily in Windows.

http://www.korguser.net/html/Install...n%20Manual.HTM

It's a useful little app for any MIDI devices from any manufacturers. You will have to use it again as you unplug and re-plug your midi devices and your Korg device is pushed up in number and becomes unavailable to use! - could be months could be years..

Last edited by Softsynth; 03-21-2023 at 06:37 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
KaufmanStudios

Default Windows 10 Controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
Does the Korg show up in Options->Preferences, Audio->MIDI Devices? If so is it enabled for 'Control' in the MIDI inputs section?
Hi Stoker - thanks much for the response. Yes, the Korg is configured as a MIDI device and enabled for "Control".
Old 03-21-2023, 04:57 PM   #5
KaufmanStudios

Default Windows 10 Controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Korg devices have a nasty habit of becoming unavailable after a number of other Midi devices have been installed pushing their midi device number off the list.
They run out of spaces in the software, it's ridiculous but there it is, evidently bad design in this regard.

The solution is to to uninstall any manufacturers MIDI devices until the number of your Korg device in Windows drops low enough to be visible. Without looking I can't remember the figure, but get it back into the single digits and you're quite safe.

Basically it's just a question of uninstalling other devices with this Korg app.
As soon as you plug the other devices in they can take higher numbers and work perfectly happily in Windows.

http://www.korguser.net/html/Install...n%20Manual.HTM

It's a useful little app for any MIDI devices from any manufacturers. You will have to use it again as you unplug and re-plug your midi devices and your Korg device is pushed up in number and becomes unavailable to use! - could be months could be years..
Hi Softsynth - thanks so much for the response and the tips. What you describe certainly seems to align with the symptoms that I am seeing. I will give it a try. Hopefully it would also resolve why I don't see the Klinke extension in the CC drop down, but I'm less optimistic about that.

UPDATE: I just reviewed the link that was provided. It's for Windows XP. I'm running Windows 10. I still want to look at options to manage how the MIDI ID numbers are assigned and can be managed. Thanks again.

Last edited by KaufmanStudios; 03-21-2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Update after I reviewed the response suggestion
Old 03-22-2023, 11:11 PM   #6
DaveCoast

Here's a link to the win10 driver, is that what you're looking for?

KORG USB-MIDI Driver/KORG USB-MIDI Driver (for Windows 10)

https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...er/1/285/3541/
DaveCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
Softsynth

How strange that I found the old version.
Of course you must use the current version.

Everything else still stands, just use the newest version link.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
KaufmanStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoast View Post
Here's a link to the win10 driver, is that what you're looking for?

KORG USB-MIDI Driver/KORG USB-MIDI Driver (for Windows 10)

https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...er/1/285/3541/
Hi DaveCoast,

Thanks very much for your response. I actually have downloaded and reapplied that driver more often than I care to remember. The problems that I have been encountering have not been related to the Korg device being recognized, but the control surface/Klinke requirements that have been presented to make it talk to Reaper.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:27 PM   #9
KaufmanStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
How strange that I found the old version.
Of course you must use the current version.

Everything else still stands, just use the newest version link.
No worries, that's what I figured. Thanks again for the response. I rolled the dice and I am moving away from a Korg device to see if I can make Behringer work. Unpacking that new toy tonight. It also may be very possible that the nano device that was sent to me is simply defective. We'll see!
Old 03-25-2023, 12:53 AM   #10
ivansc

I am still using a pair of NanoKontrol 1s. Still working 100%.
A friend has the Mk 2 and has been having random problems with it just like you. There`s a good support for switching away from the Korg 2.....
Old 03-26-2023, 05:51 PM   #11
KaufmanStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I am still using a pair of NanoKontrol 1s. Still working 100%.
A friend has the Mk 2 and has been having random problems with it just like you. There`s a good support for switching away from the Korg 2.....
Hi ivansc - thanks very much for your response, and for the additional background on previous experience. As I mentioned in a previous post response, I have now received delivery of the Behringer x-touch, and so far after installing and configuring, I'm getting what I was looking for. By stating that, I hope that will continue, and I will post additional updates as appropriate to hopefully help the community with anything useful.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:18 AM   #12
blinddrew

I use a nanoKontrol2 but set mine up manually (not using Klinke for this). I used the Korg editor to set the midi CCs I wanted to use then mapped them against the actions in the action list.
Been working with no problems for years.
blinddrew is offline   Reply With Quote