Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Default Another toolbar oddity?

I wanted to put the Undo and Redo button on my MIDI toolbar (in my own, unpublished, theme).

The .png files are 90x30 pixels; each button is actually 28x28 with a boundary of transparent pixels. They look correct in the Main toolbar. I have both "Don't scale" preferences set, so they are always the same size.

When I use them in the MIDI Editor toolbar, the image is rendered as 29 pixels high - have a look at the lower Undo button in the magnified screenshot. To get them to be displayed correctly I had to change them to be 92x32 and add pink corners - as I have done for the lower Redo button.

BUT, I did not have to do this for the other buttons, e.g. the Snap to Grid button which is 90x30, no pink, in both toolbars.

Has anybody got any idea what I've got wrong?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
hopi

DS... now that seems very strange...

I use many custom icons in the midi ed. toolbar and they are the same as used in all other toolbars and seem correct... but that is my own CIRCUS theme...

so just to dbl think this with you... what happens if you swap your icons into a testing copy of the default theme? Do they give the same problems????

One other thing comes to mind. I can't really explain the 'why' of this... but..

At one time I wanted to have 'knobless' sends in the MCP....
So I took the knob png and made it invisible by using something like 1% transparency in photoshop...

then took the png that normally shows the amount of send [the colored bar] and worked like crazy on that. Tweaking one px at a time... because I wanted it to show a blue bar BUT when going over 0 db, to show red. See, the red would only be visible in the area where the 'knob' is at the extreme right end.

OK... after spending much time on this, I got it working on my pc of the time. Kewl I thought. BUT NOT... because as soon as I put the theme on a diff. computer and monitor, it did not work right. And I still don't really know why.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
DarkStar

You're onto something there.

Here are my original (90x30, no pink) icons in the Default 4 theme:

You'll see that they appear different (wrong) in the MIDI Editor toolbar. Attached are my original and revised Redo buttons so you can try it out. You'll need to rename them.

I am clearly missing something and despite WhiteTie's best efforts in the past on related issues I cannot grasp how to get this right.
Attached Files
File Type: zip redo_DS.zip (2.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I don't know if it is or is not relevant, but your images are 72.009dpi (a common problem, just google 72.009) and that can cause all manner of oddness.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
DarkStar

Thanks you WT. Yep, they are (not something I've ever selected). But, the other icons (e.g. the Snap to Grid in the first screenshot are 72.009 too.

I'll try out changing it later.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
DarkStar

Thank you White Tie. I don't think that it's down to the 72.000 resolution (I tried to change it using The GIMP and it changed on-screen, but when Exported as a .png ifle and reloaded it was back to 72.009.

--------------------------------

Ok, forget the button in my own theme for the moment. I tried a couple of things with the v4 Default theme.

I took the 2 Snap toolbar buttons and the Undo toolbar button and added a coloured boundary to each one. As I used The GIMP, the revised .png files now have a 72.009 resolution.

This first pic shows them appearing as intended in the Main toolbar. However in the MIDI Editor toolbar, the Snap button is OK (I used a yellow boundary for the Snap Off image) but the Undo button is not - the 30th row of pixels is missing and it is a different colour (overlaid by the composite_overlay image?).

As an experiment, I then used the Snap image for the Grid button - you will see that it is 1 pixel low, the 30th row of pixels is missing and it is a different colour. So, with the same image file, I get 2 different appearances.

In this pic, I switched on Snap - so the Snap_On image is used (I used a green boundary colour) and that is as expected. I also switched on the Grid button - it is still 1 pixel low, the 30th row of pixels is missing, and the boundary is not green (I think it is using the third image from the Snap Off png file).

I can't quite articulate what's going on, but it's all a bit funky.

Attached are the three modified buttons, for experimentation.
Attached Files
File Type: zip toolbar_DS.zip (7.8 KB, 118 views)