Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Musicianaire
Human being with feelings

Default How do I put songs together on a physical CD?

I'm doing a project for a friend which involves transferring a full-length album from cassette to CD. So far I've played the entire cassette into REAPER, then split the songs into individual tracks - cleaning up tape hiss and trimming the start and end of each track.

Now I just need to put it all on a CD for him, but not sure what the best method is for that. Can someone walk me through it? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianaire View Post
I'm doing a project for a friend which involves transferring a full-length album from cassette to CD. So far I've played the entire cassette into REAPER, then split the songs into individual tracks - cleaning up tape hiss and trimming the start and end of each track.

Now I just need to put it all on a CD for him, but not sure what the best method is for that. Can someone walk me through it? Thanks!
Cdburnerxp
Runs in windows 10

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
mschnell

I use CDBurnnerXP (on Win 10; this "XP" is not for the Windows version).
(I desperately failed using the stuff that comes with win10 . (MediaPlayer) )

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 AM   #4
Goldreap

I did this successfully using REAPER's internal CD burning function (see user guide chapter 21.9), but maybe 3rd party solutions are better...I don't know?

Last edited by Goldreap; 11-03-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Musicianaire

Soooo... just load a file into Reaper and burn it to the CD?
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Soooo... just load a file into Reaper and burn it to the CD?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4fBgzbcvYY
Old 11-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Burnsjethro

"So far I've played the entire cassette into REAPER".

As a matter of interest how do you get Reaper to record a cassette?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
serr

You could just make a DDP image and burn from that. That's the most SOP and it's included in Reaper.

If this is not a critical recording and you're just transferring it to CD for fun or convenience... then just keep it quick and easy like that.

If this IS a critical and historically important recording to someone that you aim to preserve as well as possible...
The critical critical critical step is the initial transfer to digital from a tape deck. The head azimuth alignment for playback is the most important part. You can't restore what gets missed in the transfer! Imagine trying to scan a photo that is too large for your scanner - a poor audio transfer can go like that. Literally missing the "edges" as it were.

A quality AD converter in a pro audio interface is the next consideration.
Capturing at 24 bit resolution goes without saying. It's a good idea to capture using HD sample rates like 96k though too. Use the digital tools at full resolution.

When you actually have the full signal digitized, iZotope makes the best restoration tools FYI.

Whatever you do there, preserve the final results with a 24 bit render. You can always produce copies in portable device formats like CD or mp3 from your 24 bit master.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
Musicianaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
"So far I've played the entire cassette into REAPER".

As a matter of interest how do you get Reaper to record a cassette?
Same way as getting REAPER to record from any other source. Run a cable from the tape deck output, into the laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You could just make a DDP image and burn from that. That's the most SOP and it's included in Reaper.

If this is not a critical recording and you're just transferring it to CD for fun or convenience... then just keep it quick and easy like that.

If this IS a critical and historically important recording to someone that you aim to preserve as well as possible...
The critical critical critical step is the initial transfer to digital from a tape deck. The head azimuth alignment for playback is the most important part. You can't restore what gets missed in the transfer! Imagine trying to scan a photo that is too large for your scanner - a poor audio transfer can go like that. Literally missing the "edges" as it were.

A quality AD converter in a pro audio interface is the next consideration.
Capturing at 24 bit resolution goes without saying. It's a good idea to capture using HD sample rates like 96k though too. Use the digital tools at full resolution.

When you actually have the full signal digitized, iZotope makes the best restoration tools FYI.

Whatever you do there, preserve the final results with a 24 bit render. You can always produce copies in portable device formats like CD or mp3 from your 24 bit master.
Fortunately it's not a critical mission, but if it was I would definitely follow that path.

My main concern is making sure that when my friend plays the CD, the song titles and other info come up properly. I'm assuming I need to use .wav files, and they can't be ID3 tagged, so I'm not sure how to make that happen.

That's why I asked someone to walk me through it, not just suggest burners. lol
Old 11-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
Coachz

CDBurnerXP

You can add information about the artist and title name to audio discs. For technical reasons, this information can only be included if you burn audio discs using the “Disc at Once” mode, that is, without additional pauses/gaps between the audio tracks.

CDBurnerXP will try its best to automatically extract the artist and title information from the audio files you add to your compilation by reading for example the ID3 tags of MP3 files. If your files are not properly tagged or do not contain any information at all, you can manually enter the information in CDBurnerXP. To do so, click Disc –> CD-Text in the menu.

It is not possible to add the ID3 tags themselves to an audio disc, because all audio data will be “converted” to a special file format which only contains audio data.

https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Audio/compileaudio
Old 11-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
serr

Quote:
Same way as getting REAPER to record from any other source. Run a cable from the tape deck output, into the laptop.

Fortunately it's not a critical mission, but if it was I would definitely follow that path.

My main concern is making sure that when my friend plays the CD, the song titles and other info come up properly. I'm assuming I need to use .wav files, and they can't be ID3 tagged, so I'm not sure how to make that happen.

That's why I asked someone to walk me through it, not just suggest burners. lol
There are two systems used for displaying artist/song titles from CD.
One comes from the physical CD itself: Redbook + text.
The other uses one or more online database webpages and matches it up by songs and lengths. And it's what the first person entered into the database, right or wrong. None of this comes from the physical CD.

This old CD format has another quirk:
The track index points need to be on 75 frames/sec boundaries. If you don't, you'll get little added gaps to fill to the next boundary.

Quick as I'm able:

Render your 24 bit master files.
You can set the Reaper grid to 75 frame/sec. Do that when you decide on the split points.
Name the files.

Render a set of files at 44.1k (downsampled if your master is higher) and then converted to 16 bit. (You can audition dither at this stage. Use it if you think you hear it making a difference and sounding better.)

Burn to CD with whatever app is convenient to you. Click on the "use CD text" feature. Everything should have that. Reaper has the DDP format as well as a very old school cue file + audio file thing. Probably faster to just launch iTunes, drop the files in a playlist, tick the "use CD text" box and burn from that. DDP is the 'pro' format with checksum features and all that you can electronically submit to duplication services. Covers everyone's behinds with the verification.

Now use the media player apps to connect to the online databases and submit the artist/title info. After you do that - and it will take more that 20 minutes of screwing around - the computer media players will give you the song titles. The two most popular are MusicBrainz and Gracenote

Curiously, not much - including most computer media players - uses the "+ text" info that's right freakin there on the CD itself.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote