Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #81
bluzkat
Human being with feelings

IMHO... these tutorials are very good and offer an alternative way to learn about some of the features in Reaper. I think these videos are an asset to the Reaper community and will be a great help to get new users up to speed (also good for not so 'new' users).

That said... they're not mandatory, if you're not interested, that's okay.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #82
shaun5150

You need to Experience Everything to Know Everything...;-)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #83
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post

That said... they're not mandatory, if you're not interested, that's okay.

I tried but I couldn't put it any better.

Thanks for everyone's support.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #84
tombuur

As a newcomer to Reaper I have so far watched about half of the videos this weekend. A very good way to find out what Reaper is capable of. Get used to the speedy diction (after watching 3 videos or so). Often the actions are shown twice or more (quickly) which is fine with me as a way of securing the message gets across. Watch what Reaper can do and go test yourself.

Having replaced the default menus (why don't they fix the menus?), I find the way things work in Reaper very elegant and well thought out. I have used Cubase for five years, and never completely got used to its clunky way. I certainly looks like I am gonna make the full jump to Reaper, just need some more testing and experience with real projects.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #85
synthcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
It's called Long Island (pronounced Lawn Guyland) Not a pretty accent. My apologies. :heh:
That Videos are great, but for future plans:
if you are not native english-speaking, you are a bit too fast sometimes.
anyway - great tutorials.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #86
Lawrence

Quote:
Somebody tell me who the hell is Kenny Gioia and why the hell should he be paid a bunch of money for what users have been getting in here free off bbb/myself and various other users ?
Someone got their panties in a bunch.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-11-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #87
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
That would never happen around here!!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #88
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
As a newcomer to Reaper I have so far watched about half of the videos this weekend. A very good way to find out what Reaper is capable of. Get used to the speedy diction (after watching 3 videos or so). Often the actions are shown twice or more (quickly) which is fine with me as a way of securing the message gets across. Watch what Reaper can do and go test yourself.
I'm glad to hear this. In making them, I tend to worry that I'm repeating myself. Although I always show a different example each time.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #89
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Somebody tell me who the hell is Kenny Gioia and why the hell should he be paid a bunch of money for what users have been getting in here free off bbb/myself and various other users ?
I normally prefer to concentrate on making my customers happy rather than putting effort into debating with my detractors.

Some people can read a 400 page manual in an afternoon and absorb the information. If you can, these videos are not for you. Save your money.

I can't absorb information that way. It took me about a month to get through that very well written and organized manual. Not because I'm a slow reader, but because I would read a few pages, open up Reaper and play around for a half an hour or more. Then read a few more pages and do it all again. So it took me about a month to absorb most of the manual.

Had someone made Reaper Explained for me, I could have watched these videos instead and absorbed the same amount of learning in under 5 hours. Although it would have been a bit longer as I still would have played with Reaper along the way.

So let's just say that it would have taken me 2 or 3 long days to learn Reaper with the videos. I still saved about 28 days. Four weeks. So that's about $10 a week. Is my time worth that? Is your time worth that?

If your happy reading the manual (and it's a great one) and you get the most out of all the free videos available, then that's certainly a route you might prefer to take.

My videos are simply an option. Download the free sample on the site. It shows much of what you'll learn from each of the 27 videos.

Thanks for the support.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #90
Smurf

Originally Posted by bungle

=====

I didn't have a clue myself who KG was (Thanks for the Wiki link richie43!) but I don't feel that he is making $$ off the backs of all the great contributors to the Reaper community, which includes...

1. The help in these forums

2. The SWS Extensions

3. The GREAT ReaMenu's

Why? Because as good as Pipelines, Gearwire, etc videos were, these KG vids are a collection of useful, to the point lessons that are all done in the "Now", not spread out over 100 updates between V2 & V3...these apply to V3 as it sits all at once.

I never win anything, and I REALLY hope to win this series, but if I don't, I will be scrimping to get this collection. Moneys is tight, but this is one of the few investments that I can call really useful from what I have seen....
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #91
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
wasnt me!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #92
Yfoiler

Default Anyone having trouble with the g3 player?

Well... I bought two of the Groove 3 tutorial products. The downloads went fine, but the gPlayer app doesn't work for me. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The extractions went fine and I see the files in the folder but the player opens with the spinning Icon and says "Loading...".......forever. That's as far as I get. I've posted to support over at Groove 3 but thought maybe someone here could point out what I'm doing wrong so I can get started now... Thanks for any advice/help...
Yfoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #93
RussUK

I can probably get them for free as I know the Groove 3 gang and also make tutorials for them, BUT I paid because I know:
1. How long it takes to make them,
2. That no one gets rich making them
3. Kenny is a cool guy, who by the way isn't going to be buying a Ferrari off selling them.
4. Most of all I bought them just to annoy Bungle or whatever the f**k his name is.

Keep doing it Kenny!

BTW I've reviewed them here http://reaperblog.squarespace.com/ho...ed-review.html
Old 07-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #94
Kenny Gioia

Thanks. For the great review and everything else.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #95
Yfoiler

Default Fixed "my" problem with the g3Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfoiler View Post
Well... I bought two of the Groove 3 tutorial products. The downloads went fine, but the gPlayer app doesn't work for me. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The extractions went fine and I see the files in the folder but the player opens with the spinning Icon and says "Loading...".......forever. That's as far as I get. I've posted to support over at Groove 3 but thought maybe someone here could point out what I'm doing wrong so I can get started now... Thanks for any advice/help...
For anyone interested, or may have the same thing happen to them, here's the fix for my problem above. When I extracted the downloaded files, the extraction on my system (Vista 64) created a file named "data" in the destination folder. As the extraction continues this causes a dialog box to pop up saying there is already a file or folder named data in the destination folder and I either have to select "skip file" or "run". So I end up with NO data in the destination folder. My work around is to simply drag the original DATA FOLDER (with the individual videos in it) from the source directory into my destination directory where the unzipped g3Player resides. All works fine now. I have no idea why Vista unzipped the original download with a file named "data" in it but that's what caused the problem. The videos now play great and I'm a couple of hours into them. GREAT JOB KENNY!!!! Been using Reaper a couple of years now and already learned a few new tricks! I highly recommend these tutorials. Thanks!
Yfoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #96
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Wow, Reaperblog is an excellent resource area for Reaper users. Looks very professional and well organized. My compliments to the chef.

I see you also have a contest to win a copy of the new Reaper Explained. Cool.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #97
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
If your happy reading the manual (and it's a great one) and you get the most out of all the free videos available, then that's certainly a route you might prefer to take.

My videos are simply an option. Download the free sample on the site. It shows much of what you'll learn from each of the 27 videos.
I would say that for very many people it isn't an either/or thing: different forms of learning media (like videos and written manuals) complement and reinforce each other.

Speaking of which ... I've come a bit late to this party ... but "Well done!"
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #98
frankielouis

I agree with nicholas' point, that the video and manual reinforce one another. For example, you may see something on the video and weeks later prefer to use the manual to re-new the memory, or the other way around. I am looking forward to future groove 3 reaper videos.
frankielouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #99
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I would say that for very many people it isn't an either/or thing: different forms of learning media (like videos and written manuals) complement and reinforce each other.

Speaking of which ... I've come a bit late to this party ... but "Well done!"
Very true. As much as I would have liked, I did not cover everything in the manual in the videos. It would have been 20 hours long.

So you absolutely need both.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #100
Hugo

Default Ordered, downloading

Hi,

Ordered and downloading "as we speak". A long time ago I started with cubase (a cracked version I must admit). Bought it, learned it by intuition which was "easy" coming from a hardware world...

Got disgusted with Steinborg (SX3 !!!)...Bought Sonar (6 up To 8.5.3)...Had to buy a book to understand anything of the program...still not as intuitive as Cubase...grrrr

Bought Reaper some months ago and I think Reaper could be THE replacement for Cubase for me...I am ready to "learn" again...
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #101
tombuur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
I can probably get them for free as I know the Groove 3 gang and also make tutorials for them, BUT I paid because I know:
1. How long it takes to make them,
2. That no one gets rich making them
3. Kenny is a cool guy, who by the way isn't going to be buying a Ferrari off selling them.
4. Most of all I bought them just to annoy Bungle or whatever the f**k his name is.

Keep doing it Kenny!

BTW I've reviewed them here http://reaperblog.squarespace.com/ho...ed-review.html
Basically what I thought too when buying them. Probably a lot of work for someone else (Kenny) that he could have used for doing something paid perhaps, and then there would be no tutorials for a newcomer like me.

Yes, I read loads, also in English which is not my first language. But nevertheless I find video instructions for something based on a GUI quicker for learning than switching between a manual and the software. I figured these videos would cost me what I am paid for one hour of work after taxes. And if it could save me at least one hour of studying using them, then what ...
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #102
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
It's called Long Island (pronounced Lawn Guyland) Not a pretty accent. My apologies. :heh:
whereabouts? I was born in amityville, lived in bellmore, merrick, elmont
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #103
habsi

Default Very nice

I Bought it yesterday and watched 2/3 of the videos. Well worth the money. Of course I wish there was more, but that is the problem with good things: they leave you hungry for more

Many of the topics I knew, but there is always something more to learn.

Very well explained, maybe if Mr Gioia would talk a little bit more slowly it would be more comfortable for non-native speakers.

Great work, I am looking forward to Reaper Explained - The next step
habsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #104
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
whereabouts? I was born in amityville, lived in bellmore, merrick, elmont
Ahh. Yes. I know those areas well.

I grew up in Selden (yuck) and moved to Huntington then Centerport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsi View Post
I Bought it yesterday and watched 2/3 of the videos. Well worth the money. Of course I wish there was more, but that is the problem with good things: they leave you hungry for more

Many of the topics I knew, but there is always something more to learn.

Very well explained, maybe if Mr Gioia would talk a little bit more slowly it would be more comfortable for non-native speakers.

Great work, I am looking forward to Reaper Explained - The next step
Thank you. It will probably be titled Tips and Tricks rather than continuing with the explained series. This was meant to get you up and running and a bit more.

Next I will focus on things that are not in the manual.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #105
shemp

haha, I noticed you talk a little fast and I'm from Jersey. No problem with that or the accent here though

Good stuff Kenny.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #106
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
haha, I noticed you talk a little fast and I'm from Jersey. No problem with that or the accent here though

Good stuff Kenny.
What part. I've lived there as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #107
shemp

Bergen County. For 30 years. I'm stuck in the Dallas area now though. Can't afford to move back up there!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #108
drbam

Quote:
Very true. As much as I would have liked, I did not cover everything in the manual in the videos. It would have been 20 hours long.

So you absolutely need both.
Thats ok with me - 20 hrs would have been fine and I would have gladly paid the fair cost for it. Whoever is bitching about you making money from this thing needs to get real life (or a good therapist).

Reaper is extremely deep and I personally hope you're working on an advanced video series for it. I've purchased all of the available manuals/tutorials (which are really great) but there's nothing like "seeing it happen" for things to click for me. Actually had a couple of aha moments with some basic things while watching the first few videos and I've been working with Reaper for a couple of years now. Great job Kenny, and yes, next time, try and slow down the pace of your VO a bit.
drbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #109
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Bergen County. For 30 years. I'm stuck in the Dallas area now though. Can't afford to move back up there!
Me too. What town? I had a house in Dumont and another in New Milford.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #110
shemp

Quote:
Me too. What town? I had a house in Dumont and another in New Milford.
New Milford! That's too funny.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #111
chardin

Quote:
Thank you. It will probably be titled Tips and Tricks rather than continuing with the explained series. This was meant to get you up and running and a bit more.

Next I will focus on things that are not in the manual.
What topics do you plan to cover in the next series? Can you give us a short list of some things we can look forward to?
chardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #112
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbam View Post
Thats ok with me - 20 hrs would have been fine and I would have gladly paid the fair cost for it. Whoever is bitching about you making money from this thing needs to get real life (or a good therapist).

Reaper is extremely deep and I personally hope you're working on an advanced video series for it. I've purchased all of the available manuals/tutorials (which are really great) but there's nothing like "seeing it happen" for things to click for me. Actually had a couple of aha moments with some basic things while watching the first few videos and I've been working with Reaper for a couple of years now. Great job Kenny, and yes, next time, try and slow down the pace of your VO a bit.

>Great job Kenny, and yes, next time, try and slow down the pace of your VO a bit.

Why??? You get more for your money the way Kenny is doing it and I don't get bored. Like I said before, use the pause button, rewind and watch the videos multiple times. Have Reaper open with a desk pin and practice what he is doing if you want.

I do understand that for those people whose English is not their first language they might be having a problem but there are interpreters out there and he is giving you bang for the buck while you're learning English, Reaper, a dialect and an accent.

What more do you people want? Best buy since my purchase of Reaper and I plan on buying Reaper over and over again throughout the years and I am now an official convert and am telling everyone online and everywhere else who might listen. ;-)

I think I have fallen in love with Reaper and the cool part is that my wife is okay with it because she is seeing results man. Of course my UAD-2 Quad with 36 plugs helps too but Reaper and my Quad is like a match made in Heaven. They work perfectly even with input monitoring at the lowest of latencies. DAW heaven is what it is called folks and after 15 years I am finally there. Sigh!

So I recently custom built two new computers, discovered Reaper, bought my Quad and then Kenny comes along a week later with these tutorials he mentioned two weeks prior and he has now taught me how to use Reaper faster than me hiring a tutor and guess what, that is exactly what I was going to do,... AGAIN.

In fact, I had already done just that but one half day session did not even get me into the ballpark and I spent $90.00 from a great and talented guy but I must admit Kenny's videos not only got me into the ballpark, not only onto the field but I am in the batters box and I just hit a home run. LOL!!!
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #113
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardin View Post
What topics do you plan to cover in the next series? Can you give us a short list of some things we can look forward to?
Hmmm. To be perfectly honest. This is the first moment I have tried to make a list.

So it doesn't get any more "scratch" than this.

1. Working with Time Based Audio.
2. Beat Detective like Quantizing for Multi-Track Drums
3. Elastic Audio like Quantizing for Multi-Track Drums
4. Drum Replacement
5. Changing the Tempo of the Entire Song
6. Full Description of all the SWS Extensions and how to use them.
7. How to Customize or create your own Themes
8. Running thru Every Single Preference
9. Ideas with Actions
10. Parallel Compression
11. Using Sidechains

I have to stop or else I'll start shooting videos tomorrow.

I do take requests.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #114
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
1. Working with Time Based Audio.
2. Beat Detective like Quantizing for Multi-Track Drums
3. Elastic Audio like Quantizing for Multi-Track Drums
4. Drum Replacement
5. Changing the Tempo of the Entire Song
6. Full Description of all the SWS Extensions and how to use them.
7. How to Customize or create your own Themes
8. Running thru Every Single Preference
9. Ideas with Actions
10. Parallel Compression
11. Using Sidechains
Well that should be enough keep you out of mischief for a little while.

Please let me know if you think I can give you any useful input ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #115
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Well that should be enough keep you out of mischief for a little while.

Please let me know if you think I can give you any useful input ...
I definitely would love your input. But this is a ways off. I'll contact you as I get more serious about it.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #116
Kundalinguist

Oh, and:

12. Using advanced Reaper techniques as a chick magnet.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #117
EvilDragon

Oh Kenny, I just laughed my ass off unintentionally.

When you're explaining New Project & Project Templates, in the part where you go over various file types you can record in (WAV, AIFF...), you say "Fruity Loops files" for FLAC, which is like totally incorrect Dunno if that was intentional or not XD

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #118
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Oh Kenny, I just laughed my ass off unintentionally.

When you're explaining New Project & Project Templates, in the part where you go over various file types you can record in (WAV, AIFF...), you say "Fruity Loops files" for FLAC, which is like totally incorrect Dunno if that was intentional or not XD

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec
See post #40.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #119
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
See post #40.

Oh snap!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #120
asadoyle

Just wanted to let everyone know that we did get the incorrect statements about FLAC updated last week. If you downloaded before the fixes were up and prefer to have the corrected version, just contact us and let us know and we can get you set up with a new download. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks for the support and feedback!

All the best,
Asa
asadoyle is offline   Reply With Quote