Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.984+dev1022a - October 22 2019

v5.984+dev1022a - October 22 2019
# MIDI: prevent crash when importing .mid file

v5.984+dev1022 - October 22 2019
+ MIDI editor: add basic CC LFO dialog
+ MIDI editor: add separate mouse modifiers to delete CC events or reset CC values
+ MIDI editor: prevent overlapping window controls when displaying swing grid
+ Media items: add action to add stretch markers at project tempo changes
+ Media items: add action to clear and recalculate automatic stretch markers at project tempo changes
+ Media items: add timebase "Beats (warp at tempo changes)"
+ Render: allow specifying .aiff output for AIFF files, .mp4 or .m4v for videos, etc
+ Tracks: use correct supported channel count when increasing track channels via routing [t=226080]
# MIDI editor: do not automatically select all CC events at the same time position when clicking
# MIDI editor: support deleting bank/program/text/sysex events with delete mouse modifiers
# MIDI: fix incorrect all-notes-off created when inserting events via API [t=226237]
# Notation view: improve y-alignment of notes

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 10-22-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
yahoo, gonna try that !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

Thanks devs!
Old 10-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
_Stevie_

Bug report: dragged a MIDI file over from Cubase to Reaper: poof.
Ungraceful crash.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Can you provide us with a copy of the file please?

[edit] never mind, fixing
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
mehmethan

Quote:
Thanks for this one. It works nice with static tempo changes. Is there a way to adapt the item when there is a graditually transition on tempo (tempo ramp)?
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
dupont

Is CC LFO only located in action menu ? I could not find in midi editor menu.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
juliansader

Wow, great update!

Quote:
In the dialog, "Frequency" should be "Warp".

Quote:
+ Media items: add action to add stretch markers at project tempo changes
+ Media items: add action to clear and recalculate automatic stretch markers at project tempo changes
The new timebase isn't listed in the media item right-click context menu yet.

Could the new "recalculate" action also replace non-unity playback rates with stretch markers?

As an example, the script "Adjust audio items to tempo changes using stretch markers" converts the items at the left to those on the right:

The new timebase action does not appear to stretch the audio accurately. The screenshot below is a comparison of warping by the script, which closely matches the MIDI (which of course has timebase=beats), versus the new timebase action:

Which theme colors are used for the auto-generated stretch markers? I can only barely see them.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In the dialog, "Frequency" should be "Warp".
The text is just cut off on your machine .. it actually says "Frequency skew" and "Amplitude skew" (like the automation item LFO settings). We'll make the dialog a little wider.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
The new timebase action does not appear to stretch the audio accurately. The screenshot below is a comparison of warping by the script, which closely matches the MIDI (which of course has timebase=beats), versus the new timebase action:
When you say "new timebase action," what do you mean exactly? The new timebase setting should generate automatic sloped stretch markers if necessary to match linear tempo changes. The new action to insert normal stretch markers at tempo changes does just that, it inserts stretch markers without changing anything about the media playback. I'm not clear on what the item marked "new timebase action" in your screenshot represents -- I don't see any normal or automatic stretch markers in it.

If you think there is an incorrect behavior, most helpful would be if you could share a simple project and simple click-type audio item, to demonstrate.

Last edited by schwa; 10-22-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
# Notation view: improve y-alignment of notes

Thanks for this and the rest of additions/fixes, devs! One thing, since you´re dealing with the visual presentation of notes. Rests and accidentals with 1/16 and smaller figures collide with notes in many scenarios, with certain zoom levels :

Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
juliansader

I am referring to the new action "Item properties: Set item timebase to beats (auto-stretch at tempo changes)".

The problem isn't limited to a particular item or project, and can easily be replicated by rendering a MIDI item to audio, setting the new audio item to timebase=auto-stretch, and then copy/pasting both the MIDI and the audio item to a position with tempo changes. The audio item doesn't remain properly aligned with the MIDI item.

As an example:

After rendering (and copying the audio item -- the script will be applied to the second, bottom audio item):

After copy/pasting, audio in the middle item is auto-stretched a little, but does not align properly:

After applying the script to the bottom item, showing more accurate stretching of audio:

Old 10-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I am referring to the new action "Item properties: Set item timebase to beats (auto-stretch at tempo changes)".
OK, yes, the problem arises when there are multiple linear tempo changes.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #14
Reflected

A BIG MESS....

"Delete notes/CC immediately (suppress right click context menu)."
why Velocity and Piano roll share the same action??? :/

I really don't like it to delete Velocity and the last thing I want it to do is to delete notes from the velocity lane. OMG...
however I do like that right click will delete notes in the pianoroll and suppress the right click context menu. (i actually like to suppress the right click menu in the piano roll and velocity lane for good!)

I need actions and mouse modifiers to set:

Piano roll:
Right click delete notes (+suppress right click context menu) and actually delete notes without dragging (currently you have to drag the mouse, one click just doesn't delete a note which is weird)

Velocity lane:
Right click create a linear ramp (instead of deleting notes).

why can't we just set our own actions for right click in the velocity lane regardless of the piano roll and whatever else?

right click is very limited to specific context and specific actions
this is big limitation and a real workflow stopper for me.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
"Delete notes/CC immediately (suppress right click context menu)." why Velocity and Piano roll share the same action??? :/
Because the action is called delete notes. If you delete a velocity you are deleting a note. You can't do one without the other.

Quote:
I really don't like it to delete Velocity and the last thing I want it to do is to delete notes from the velocity lane. OMG...
Some people want to work exactly that way. Let's say you have notes in different octaves. It's hard to see them all in the piano roll without adjusting zoom settings. But in the velocity lane they are more easily accessible which makes the notes easier to delete in the velocity lane vs the piano roll.

As we are dealing with different use cases here and people are getting pretty worked up about what the default behavior should be, I once again propose that we just give the velocity lane its own modifiers so people can do as they will.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
EvilDragon

Quote:
Right click delete notes (+suppress right click context menu) and actually delete notes without dragging (currently you have to drag the mouse, one click just doesn't delete a note which is weird)
If you'll notice the context is called "right drag", not "right click". There is no "right click" context anywhere among mouse modifiers. So yes, you have to drag the mouse a little bit.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #17
EvilDragon

BTW devs, let's harken back to the modal/modeless dialog positioning thing.

"Project settings: Timebase help..." doesn't remember its last position like most other modeless dialogs do. Always seems to open top left. It should at least open centered on the display where mouse cursor is when called for the first time. (In fact, all modeless dialogs should do that by default IMHO.)
Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #18
EvilDragon

CC LFO dialog doesn't follow theme colors, like its automation item brother does.

Please, devs, gasping for visual consistency here... ;(

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207692

(Also regarding parameter names in that dialog, in automation item LFO you have "Amp skew" and "Freq skew", so instead of making the dialog wider, you could just copy the terminology? You know... CONSISTENCY? )

Old 10-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #19
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Some people want to work exactly that way.
with all the respect, I don't care how you or EvilDragon or any other people work!

If this is a competition of which workflow is better, be sure that I will win this when it comes to results.
if me and you need to write the same melody/beat with the same velocities and whatever else, be sure that I will write it 10 times faster and more accurate than you with my way of workflow.
don't teach me about workflows, I tried tons and I know what works for best me.

the reason I stay with reaper is because it aims to work for everyone and so I can adjust it to my own workflow (at least that's what I want to believe 10 years already.)

Quote:
As we are dealing with different use cases here and people are getting pretty worked up about what the default behavior should be, I once again propose that we just give the velocity lane its own modifiers so people can do as they will.
here you share some common sense.
+1 for this please.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #20
Klangfarben

Quote:
with all the respect, I don't care how you or EvilDragon or any other people work!
You should maybe respect their workflows. You might be surprised the people that are lurking behind the username
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #21
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If you'll notice the context is called "right drag", not "right click". There is no "right click" context anywhere among mouse modifiers. So yes, you have to drag the mouse a little bit.
which is even worst.

for me:
it feels weird that one click does noting useful.
it is very not intuitive (for me)
it cut my workflow.
it makes no sense
it feels buggy.
It feels sticky.
It annoys me again and again. 10 years that I just can't get used to something that feels so wrong to me. waiting so much times for basics...

it feels like a broken code.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #22
Reflected

Quote:
You should maybe respect their workflows. You might be surprised the people that are lurking behind the username
judge yourself first.

All I wanted is to have the OPTION, I don't care about the defaults anymore...people like evil dragon sure has more spare time to wash the devs heads and cause them to change the daw to work for him and only for him.

I can only assure you that because of this "broken" workflow many of my friends just refuse to use Reaper as their DAW, they just can't use the midi editor, and hey...I use reaper 10 years and I still agree with them and I am still amazed by how weak it is compare to others.

I try to help and make some good OPTIONAL changes, but it seems very hard, day by day I'm almost giving up on this...

it piss me off to spend so much time in the forum instead of making music.
:/
Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
nofish

I can cause a crash in this version dragging a MIDI item with "Render item to new file" mouse modifier held.
Crash doesn't happen for me when doing this in v5.984.

(I came across this by accident trying to create a new pooled MIDI item but using Ctrl+Alt instead of Shift+Ctrl+Alt).

https://i.imgur.com/XPd9PmK.gif

Last edited by nofish; 10-22-2019 at 03:26 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #24
juliansader

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add separate mouse modifiers to delete CC events or reset CC values
I like this. Erase erases, as it should, and Reset can be applied to any lane, including pitch.

Using the new mouse modifier actions, is there an easy way to reset pitch to 8192 (+0)?

If, in the future, double-click doesn't deselect all events any more, it would be nice to link "Set new default value" to a mouse modifier + double-click, and "Reset" to the same mouse modifier + leftdrag.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #25
EvilDragon

Quote:
it piss me off to spend so much time in the forum instead of making music.
:/
Then... why not just go make music if spending time on forums pisses you off?

Nobody here is guaranteeing your (or mine, or anyone else's) feature requests would be implemented the next day, in a week, month, or ever. It's not how devs operate

BTW mouse modifiers didn't have right click context available for editing ever since they were introduced to Reaper, and that was years ago. I wouldn't expect any such change any time soon, as it seems to be a pretty much core thing that is not straightforward to change.

Quote:
It annoys me again and again. 10 years that I just can't get used to something that feels so wrong to me. waiting so much times for basics...

it feels like a broken code.
It's not broken code if it wasn't designed to support those certain usecases (like right click mouse modifier context). Also... if you can't get used to something after 10 years... why put yourself through the pain all over again, maybe stop trying instead? There is never going to be one thing that is going to be everything to everyone.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-22-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #26
Reflected

Quote:
Then... why not just go make music if spending time on forums pisses you off?
because everytime I touch reaper's midi it feels broken and my workflow just die!
I come here to hope for a change so it will be more adjustable to the user's needs to make it more fun to use.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #27
Reflected

Quote:
BTW mouse modifiers didn't have right click context available for editing ever since they were introduced to Reaper, and that was years ago. I wouldn't expect any such change any time soon, as it seems to be a pretty much core thing that is not straightforward to change.
I'm pretty sure that you are wrong here. even tho I tend to agree that it is weird that we don't have it yet after all these years.

I was sure that Justin is the master coder that will never make such a core mistake...
but if you are right, this is really sad news which make me think... :X
Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #28
deeb

Quote:
What an unresonoable commment.

Last edited by deeb; 10-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #29
Joe90

Still getting an issue with tempo matched loops dragged from the media explorer being truncated/extended, the issue appeared in the last dev version and is still here.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cKnR4X...LEyl/giphy.gif

Last edited by Joe90; 10-22-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: gif link wasn't working, updated it
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #30
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I can cause a crash in this version dragging a MIDI item with "Render item to new file" mouse modifier held.
This is with 5.984+dev1022, or the updated 5.984+dev1022a?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #31
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is with 5.984+dev1022, or the updated 5.984+dev1022a?
It was with 5.984+dev1022, can't reproduce with 5.984+dev1022a so far (just tried), seems good. Sorry for missing..
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #32
EvilDragon

Quote:
I was sure that Justin is the master coder that will never make such a core mistake...
but if you are right, this is really sad news which make me think... :X
Being a programmer does not equal to being a product designer. So yes, such decisions are entirely possible.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:21 AM   #33
Hogi66

+ Render: allow specifying .aiff output for AIFF files, .mp4 or .m4v for videos, etc

How can I render a video as MP4? It is only offered .mov
How do I set that?
Hogi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #34
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogi66 View Post
How can I render a video as MP4? It is only offered .mov
Select .mov from the format dropdown, but add ".mp4" to the end of the "Render to:" field.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 AM   #35
Joe90

I have to say human psychology is fascinating -

I've posted in both this thread and the previous pre-dev thread about the issue I've noticed... not a single reply or comment, yet when someone posts a really quite rude and arrogant post, they immediately get a whole host of replies...

Perhaps I should have phrased the issue I've noticed in a more rude and confrontational way, and insulted some of the veteran users here, then at least I could expect a reply or some acknowledgement?

FWIW - I have to say this comment takes the cake when it comes to arrogance -

Quote:

If this is a competition of which workflow is better, be sure that I will win this when it comes to results.
if me and you need to write the same melody/beat with the same velocities and whatever else, be sure that I will write it 10 times faster and more accurate than you with my way of workflow.
don't teach me about workflows, I tried tons and I know what works for best me.
TEN TIMES faster? Wow, that's quite a claim.

Fair enough you don't want to adopt someone else's workflow - fine, but this comment implies that you know better than EVERYONE else here.

So - either you know EVERYONE on this forum's workflow, discography, and skills (including the other DAW's they use) to verify that that you know better than all of them (if so, please share the secret of your clairvoyant powers with the group) OR - you are assuming that you are more skilled/faster working than EVERYONE ELSE on this forum based solely on how awesome you believe you are?

Wow.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:01 AM   #36
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Still getting an issue with tempo matched loops dragged from the media explorer being truncated/extended, the issue appeared in the last dev version and is still here.
[edit] Fixing, thanks for the report.

Last edited by schwa; 10-23-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #37
AVboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Fair enough you don't want to adopt someone else's workflow - fine, but this comment implies that you know better than EVERYONE else here.

So - either you know EVERYONE on this forum's workflow, discography, and skills (including the other DAW's they use) to verify that that you know better than all of them (if so, please share the secret of your clairvoyant powers with the group) OR - you are assuming that you are more skilled/faster working than EVERYONE ELSE on this forum based solely on how awesome you believe you are?

Wow.
Rubbish like this is why lots of people can't get in to Reaper beyond the basics, myself included. There's a huge void between people who just want to work and people who already know how it works. This forum is literally the only place to come for support on the more complex stuff. I sympathise with the guy, he's obviously taken the trouble to come up with a workflow that works for him, and its being pulled from under him. I reckon I'd be pretty upset too if someone started talking down to me.

Then there are the dev's who, at least on the surface (based on what I can see from this forum) are interacting with a small core of people who have time/care to test the pre-releases, and are responding to that feedback and that feedback alone. If there's evidence to the contrary by all means point it out.
AVboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #38
EvilDragon

It's enough to check Justin's and schwa's replies outside of prerelease subforum. They do happen.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #39
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
The easiest solution for this is to zoom out. There are problems with easy zooming though:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221017

Another more complex solution might be to implement a variabe-width measures.

In some cases with half-full measures, "Musical note spacing" helps with preventing such overlaps.

Last edited by bFooz; 10-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #40
bFooz

Quote:
# MIDI: fix incorrect all-notes-off created when inserting events via API
Works well.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote