Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
WarBeer
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up VST for fast startup

I've got a lot of plugins as this point. Do the plugins "have" to load up at start-up to be used...or is there a way to load them with reaper running? (as needed)

I don't use most of them often (if ever). How can I set up Reaper so it loads faster, without going through my whole list every time?

Any suggestions will be most appreciated!
WarBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBeer View Post
How can I set up Reaper so it loads faster, without going through my whole list every time?
How long does it take?
If you don't have any plugins in the FX Monitoring chain and REAPER is also setup to start with an empty project then AFAIK its not loading any FX, all it really does is check your plugin paths for new plugins, if nothing new is found then it should only take a few seconds to start.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
WarBeer

When I first boot up and start Reaper for the first time...it goes through everything. It seems like it's doing more than just checking for names/locations. It probably takes a minute to load.

Is there a way to check (maybe via resource monitoring) what/where a/the plugins are demanding more resources?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
When I first boot up and start Reaper for the first time...it goes through everything. It seems like it's doing more than just checking for names/locations. It probably takes a minute to load.

Is there a way to check (maybe via resource monitoring) what/where a/the plugins are demanding more resources?
This should not happen. If Reaper is doing a full check of your plugins folder on every start-up, then something is wrong.

Is this on Windows?
Where do you have your plugins installed?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
karbomusic

It doesn't do a full check, it grabs a directory file list and compares that to what is in the cache. If this takes a long time then chances are the directory has more than VSTs in it such as loads of presets, settings, whathaveyou. To hit this, that has to be a lot of files, enough that it takes an extended time to enumerate the directory contents. In this scenario Reaper is actually waiting on the OS.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
hopi

what would be nice in reaper is IF like in some other DAW's and in FLS, we could have the list of plugins and turn them on or off with checkboxes
Old 08-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
WarBeer

On one of my larger song set-ups, I tried to consolidate/buss as many "like tracks" as I could and then tweek a track with an comp or eq of it's own if it "had" to have it. Is there anything else I might try...or have I just finally reached the limit of my computer?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:17 AM   #8
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It doesn't do a full check,
...unless Warbeer installed his plug-ins in the REAPER/plugins folder or its subfolders (that happens quite often), that would explain why it goes "through everything".

@WarBeer, where did you install your plug-ins?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
nait

Just checking the obvious here, you're sure Reaper isn't just loading the plugins that belong to the project it is loading on startup (whatever you last had open)?

If you instead run from the Windows start menu the Reaper link labeled "Reaper (x64) (create new project)" does it still scan all your plugins? If that's not what is happening, then yeah, perhaps it has to do with where you've installed your plugins.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
...unless Warbeer installed his plug-ins in the REAPER/plugins folder or its subfolders (that happens quite often)
Or maybe the plugin search paths point to a drive's root, that would lead to a bad time. IIRC Reaper still allows drive roots to be used as plugin paths.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #11
karbomusic

If the drive root it should throw hundreds or thousand of errors for each non-VST DLL it encounters FYI. It's recursive if memory serves.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #12
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If the drive root it should throw hundreds or thousand of errors for each non-VST DLL it encounters FYI. It's recursive if memory serves.
I copied a non-audio plugin dll into my VST folder, did a "Rescan/Clear cache" in the preferences and got no error messages. Granted, some dlls might spit up an error when just doing a LoadLibrary call on them in the wrong context...
Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I copied a non-audio plugin dll into my VST folder, did a "Rescan/Clear cache" in the preferences and got no error messages. Granted, some dlls might spit up an error when just doing a LoadLibrary call on them in the wrong context...
I know it happens, we've had threads on it where users could never get to the end of the never-ending error dialogs - because there would be hundreds and hundreds when it hit something like /Windows or /System32. Try setting System32 as your scan path and see what happens.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
WarBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
...unless Warbeer installed his plug-ins in the REAPER/plugins folder or its subfolders (that happens quite often), that would explain why it goes "through everything".

@WarBeer, where did you install your plug-ins?
The VST that are either free or downloaded as a file pack...I install in the REAPER/plugins folder. I let my WAVES plugins install in their default location. I probably have some other plugins that installed (default) in the STEINBERG folder.

Let me know if I need to have these all in one local...and if so, can I just "move" the WAVES stuff? I know there's some "shell" files in some locals and other file in other locals, with regard to the WAVES stuff.

@cstooch...I'm talking about when I first fire up the computer/REAPER...even with a "new project". I can usually read each individual plugin as it's checking...some for 10 seconds each (usually the WAVES stuff)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Xenakios

Quote:
The VST that are either free or downloaded as a file pack...I install in the REAPER/plugins folder.
Don't put your VST plugins there, that location is intended for Reaper's own plugins.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #16
WarBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Don't put your VST plugins there, that location is intended for Reaper's own plugins.
So just create a new folder and stick all my add-ons in there?
Old 08-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #17
nait

Quote:
So just create a new folder and stick all my add-ons in there?
Put them outside of that plugins folder somewhere. You can pretty much put them anywhere you like (although, for performance reasons, put them on a fast drive if you can) and the folder can be named anything you like, just as long as you put this location in the VST settings in Reaper so it knows where to scan. I personally have mine in E:\VST Plugins. You can create subfolders in there for each plugin if you really wanted, or just have them all in there.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
WarBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Put them outside of that plugins folder somewhere. You can pretty much put them anywhere you like (although, for performance reasons, put them on a fast drive if you can) and the folder can be named anything you like, just as long as you put this location in the VST settings in Reaper so it knows where to scan. I personally have mine in E:\VST Plugins. You can create subfolders in there for each plugin if you really wanted, or just have them all in there.
Thanks for the info! For some reason, last night when I did a startup...it didn't go through the "cycle" I was talking about. I haven't changed anything as of yet...so, IDK...lol. I've noticed anomalies like this before.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
Xenakios

Quote:
For some reason, last night when I did a startup...it didn't go through the "cycle" I was talking about. I haven't changed anything as of yet...so, IDK...lol. I've noticed anomalies like this before.
Reaper scans the plugins again if the plugin files modified dates have changed. Do you have an anti-virus software (or maybe an actual virus/malware) or something that might be changing the file modified dates?

Is Reaper able to write into its settings directory properly on your system? If it isn't, the plugin scan results won't stay saved and Reaper will have to do the plugin scan each time it is opened.

You mentioned Waves plugins. Are all those up to date and licensed properly? Waves plugins are notorious for causing all kinds of problems.

Also, I am not sure if you explained if you have a start up project (a project template or if you have the option to open the last project enabled), that has plugins loaded. If that is the case, Reaper will have to load each plugin when it starts up and that will obviously take some time.

Last edited by Xenakios; 08-10-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #20
karbomusic

I'm not saying it can't happen but any AV that deems something not a virus yet changes the modified date/time would be a piece of crap.