Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
alxgvr
Human being with feelings

Default How to detect stretch markers for Bass guitar?

Hi. It is easy to detect transients guides or stretch markers for drums via Dynamic Split.

But how to do it for bass guitar?
Whatever I try - it is total mess.

It doesn't detect start of the note, or put multiple markers inside one note close to each other. Chaos.

P.S. How about to implement special new detection algorithm for bass guitar in future Reaper updates?
alxgvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
foxAsteria

I find it pretty easy unless the bass recording is super compressed or distorted. It can also be helpful to set the minimum length to about the size of a 1/4 or 1/8th note.

Or just add stretch markers at all the grid lines (script) and manually adjust the bass only where necessary.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Fergler

I get where you're coming from, lot's of times on quieter notes it thinks there are two transients.

I haven't done much stretching on bass because I don't like the sound distortion, but I have done a lot of dynamic split which requires the same precision (with an offset, actually, even trickier). For this I use tab to transient on a big zoomed in view and split the selected item when it's right. If it's not right, I shift+click the ruler to put the cursor where I want it and split. I split at the start of the large waveform on bass which is usually where the transient detection puts it. This is for consistency only, because...

after I'm done I drag the start of all the split items back so that for 90% of them I've moved the split to just before the start of audio (the sound of my finger touching the string right before the pluck, milliseconds) which is where I'd also suggest a stretch marker be moved to if possible.

Much cleaner results.

If you need to elongate notes, try clipping some of the sustain and moving it into place, making a volume adjustment, and blending it into the previous item. Often works really well on bass and no stretching needed, particularly if there is not a strong harmonic content to the tone.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote