Old 10-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v5.984+dev1030 - October 30 2019

v5.984+dev1030 - October 30 2019
  • + Arrange: use arrow rather than ibeam for various cursors
  • + Media explorer: consolidate undo points when adding multiple takes to media
  • + Media explorer: deselect other media items when inserting media via action
  • + Mouse modifiers: add preference to draw/edit CC events immediately on mouse click
  • + VST: do not query out of range note-names
  • + win32: enable hidpi awareness by default
  • # MIDI editor: delete events immediately when using mouse modifier "delete notes/CC immediately (suppress right-click context menu)"
  • # Theme: add misc_dpi_translate srcpercent destpercent line, used currently for toolbar images
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 10-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ Mouse modifiers: add preference to draw/edit CC events immediately on mouse click
This is working pretty great!

We should maybe now also have an action "Deselect all events" for MIDI CC lane/event contexts, too?

Also, drawing immediately should definitely also apply to the linear ramp action. Right now it's just editing existing CCs, but it should also be drawing ramps from scratch! If changing the current linear ramp modifiers is not an option, I would suggest adding two new modifiers, "Draw/edit linear ramp CC events (ignoring selection)".

Thanks for the improvements!

(BTW, what's up with MIDI CC LFO?)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-30-2019 at 11:33 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
mccrabney

very cool.

here's something that this testing has made me contend with:

REAPER appears to give a grace window of 1 or 2 units (pixel? mickey?) as it determines whether it has received a left click (click on, click release) or a left click-drag. observe:

watch as i click and then VERY SLOWLY move the mouse to the right. see that the cursor is allowed to move n pixels to the right without drawing in a note. then, in the next +1 pixel to the right, the note is drawn.

this makes sense. the problem: 1 or 2 pixels aren't a big enough window, especially when the user is moving quickly (or sloppily). i would bet that i'm not alone in drawing countless unintended midi notes when i'm actually trying to use the "deselect all notes and move edit cursor" action (or others).

this issue can be seen/felt in piano roll, velocity, and cc lanes.
if you are trying to move edit cursor by clicking empty space (in either CC or piano roll), you need to make sure your mouse comes to a complete stop in order to do so.

if we could increase the number of moved-pixels before REAPER interprets a click as a drag, we'd have a much more "smooth feeling MIDI editor"

TLDR, i tried to CLICK in REAPER, but it was a REAL DRAG
...i'll see myself out
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
mccrabney

refer to

v5.978+dev0610, + Tracks: prevent reordering tracks on tiny mouse moves
v5.979 + Media explorer: avoid creating time selection on tiny mouse moves
Old 10-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We should maybe now also have an action "Deselect all events" for MIDI CC lane/event contexts, too?
definitely agree. could desired behavior be described as the following?
"edit selected CC events if any under mouse cursor, otherwise draw/edit"

edit this is for velocity, not CCs. CCs behave as expected.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Klangfarben

Quote:
Quote:
I would suggest adding two new modifiers, "Draw/edit linear ramp CC events (ignoring selection)"
These are good suggestions imho but I feel compelled to point out with the new single click modifier option as well as any other possible additions, it's going to be hard to customize mouse modifier options for both CC Lanes and Velocity as they are shared and there are only so many modifier keys available.

Voting again to split these up into separate modifiers.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
_Stevie_

Voting for seperate MMs for velocity, too. Although, you guys might have your reasons for going a different route.

On a second note, I also vote for the "Deselect all events" MM.
I personally like to use the eraser to unselect events. Maybe the behavior could be combined, as it is in the piano roll?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
Joe90

Quote:
v5.984+dev1030 - October 30 2019
[*]+ Media explorer: deselect other media items when inserting media via action
Literally flagged this up yesterday, talk about a quick fix

Thanks guys.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Joe90

'Relative Grid' toolbar button is still not working correctly, just fyi.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
Reflected

Quote:
[*]+ Mouse modifiers: add preference to draw/edit CC events immediately on mouse click
I do like to have a preference to "adjust velocity stick from either side of it" (proportionally), see illustration and read the bold text below:

Quote:

Notice how you can also adjust velocity stick from either side of it (in Reaper only from right side, but not from left side) Works the same way for CCs in FL.

Comparison:

Quote:
[*]# MIDI editor: delete events immediately when using mouse modifier "delete notes/CC immediately (suppress right-click context menu)"
So simple, so much better!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
EvilDragon

Note that FL has it a little bit worse than in Reaper in one particular case, because it only adjusts velocity proportionally from both sides within x pixels away from the bar, but NOT throughout the whole length of the note, like you can in Reaper. I find that a bit baffling and Reaper's behavior better/faster.

In any case, editing CCs and velocities is much better now. Maybe be grateful for at least that instead of just continuing demanding, and learn not to depend on editing velocities from the left side? There's no such thing as a perfect DAW, we have all had to adjust some habits when we jumped ship to Reaper
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
'Relative Grid' toolbar button is still not working correctly, just fyi.
Thanks, fixing!
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks, fixing!
Great, thanks Justin.

Highlighted toolbar buttons are also much dimmer for me since this version, it's not obvious on the default theme, but it's very obvious on the theme I'm using (a tweaked version of nitpicky with different toolbar buttons), so I'm aware it might be a tweak I need to make at my end on the theming side, it's just weird that the issue has only popped up on this dev version. It seems like Reaper is not finding the correct .png file (a brighter one that I edited for this purpose) for the highlighting of the button, so it's using the default highlighting from the default theme, which is too dim for the grey buttons I'm using on this theme, that's just a guess though.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it's an easy tweak at your end to get the buttons highlighting correctly as they were in previous versions. Text named buttons are still highlighting correctly, just the ones with icons are dimmer.

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #14
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

could you post one of the images and a screenshot of what you're seeing in Reaper please?
Old 10-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #15
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
could you post one of the images and a screenshot of what you're seeing in Reaper please?
Hi White Tie - I assume this was addressed to me?

Pics are attached. I'm using Lokasenna's default 5.0 nitpicky theme, but have made some tweaks, one of which is using the toolbar buttons from a theme called 'Alterego'.

If I load up the original alterego theme from which these buttons came, they highlight normally - I've tried replacing the 'toolbar_blank.png' file within the theme folder I'm using, to make sure it's the correct one with the light highlighting, but it's making no difference.

I don't know my way around Walter, and have only used it to do some very basic things like lightening some fonts or duplicating mcp layouts with slight changes, but I suppose it could be something I've done in Walter that's causing an issue, it's just odd that it was working fine up until dev version 1022a, and I haven't changed anything within the theme since then to cause this. (I previously said it only popped up in this dev version, but I just reinstalled the last couple of versions to double-check, and 1022a is fine, but in 1027 it appears).
Attached Images
File Type: png original toolbar.png (7.4 KB, 268 views)
File Type: png toolbar dev1030.png (6.7 KB, 261 views)
Old 10-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #16
Tod

Default Problem with Options/Sync editor transport to project tansport..

I did it his in a hurry so pardon the poor gif.

When I uncheck the "Sync editor transport to project transport" then hit play, Reaper stops working.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:50 AM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
When I uncheck the "Sync editor transport to project transport" then hit play, Reaper stops working.
Fixing, thanks.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:20 AM   #18
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If I load up the original alterego theme from which these buttons came, they highlight normally - I've tried replacing the 'toolbar_blank.png' file within the theme folder I'm using, to make sure it's the correct one with the light highlighting, but it's making no difference.
A (normal) toolbar button is made up of three files : toolbar_blank.png, the icon image (or some text), and composite_toolbar_overlay.png, which is perhaps the one you're missing.

I don't think this issue is related to this pre.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
cool

Quote:
[*]# MIDI editor: delete events immediately when using mouse modifier "delete notes/CC immediately (suppress right-click context menu)"
Perfectly! Thank you! Now, for each deletion of a note, I will spend one click less

p.s. Oh, but now there’s no marquee selection by right drag.

Last edited by cool; 10-31-2019 at 09:31 AM.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #20
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
A (normal) toolbar button is made up of three files : toolbar_blank.png, the icon image (or some text), and composite_toolbar_overlay.png, which is perhaps the one you're missing.

I don't think this issue is related to this pre.
Thanks White Tie! After a bit of experimenting, deleting the 'composite_toolbar_overlay.png' file from my theme folder fixed this issue, and all the buttons look clearer too... The original theme I extracted these buttons from doesn't have this file so I'm guessing these buttons were designed to be used without an overlay, and I assume something happened in the the last couple of dev versions that caused Reaper to suddenly make use of the file, so it was being overlaid on the buttons making them dimmer. I'm sure you are correct that it's not a specific pre issue. It's strange that it's only the last couple of dev versions that the issue popped up (I suppose you could argue that it was technically not working correctly before, because it was disregarding the overlay file by pure luck for me, and the 'fix' that made it recognise the overlay is what caused this issue for me) but either way, your advice helped me, my buttons are nice and clear again - Cheers!

A long and boring explanation I know, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case it helps others or yourself in diagnosing other issues.