Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #281
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

I've done a bit of reading about EQ plugins on the net lately, and it seems that glitching is a common enough thing while changing the band frequency/width (and possibly gain) if there's no "smoothing" built in to avoid it. Also there's talk about certain types of filters being more susceptile to glitches, but I wouldn't understand anything about it.

Perhaps moving multiple bands and/or changing their widths/gain all at once (since LinkEQ allows this) amplifies this to the point of the "explosion" we've noticed.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #282
mrelwood

The LinkEQ explosion is not the traditional EQ glitch you read about. I believe a traditional EQ adjustment glitch happens when the center frequency is adjusted while the few samples are still churning in the sample buffers.

LinkEQ uses the same EQ algorithms I have on some of my other plugins, in which they work without an explosion, or even an audible glitch unless I adjust the frequency very fast. The explosion comes from an overlap or a mismatch between the analyzer graphics and the EQ parameters.

Unfortunately, so far all tests for locating the issue have still been unfruitful. But I am certain I will eventually be able to fix it.

At the moment though, I continue working on AmpEra. It is long die for an update!
Old 02-26-2020, 02:46 AM   #283
TonE

Thanks for sharing all the great work, unfortunately link to CompLab is not working.
http://b.link/mrelwood_CompLab_0v7
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:49 AM   #284
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I don't suppose you plan to include a "solo" (listen) band feature in LinkEQ? With that and HP/LP, it would probably be the only EQ I'd use. If not it might still be, though.
How can you forget the magic reeq?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:52 AM   #285
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Hi guys. Unfortunately my coding has been slow due to health issues.
I wish you all the best with your health my friend! I hope everything will get better!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:31 AM   #286
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Thanks for sharing all the great work, unfortunately link to CompLab is not working.
http://b.link/mrelwood_CompLab_0v7
I'm so sorry, I had forgotten to update the link for 0.71! Thank you for reporting!
http://b.link/mrelwood_CompLab_0v71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
I wish you all the best with your health my friend! I hope everything will get better!
Thank you TonE for the kind words! My condition is not one that can "heal", but there are better and worse perioids. Luckily it's starting to look slightly better now, and I truly hope that it will allow me to speed up my work with especially the AmpEra. I have big hopes for that one!
Old 02-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #287
mrelwood

I noticed an embarassing testing code leftover in the LinkEQ:
If four nodes are in use and all shaped to "peak", the shapes will reset to default (lsf, peak, flat top, hsf) at playback start.

Fixed by a silent update to LinkEQ 0.741, which should load correctly in projects that use the 0.74.

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v74
Old 03-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #288
Dafarkias

Just tried out your CompLab jsfx for the first time, I really like it.

Question:

I know that this is possible via side-chaining, but would you ever consider allowing the attack to go negative in value? Pre-attack, if you will?

It wouldn't have to be much, to scratch the itch, maybe 10-20 ms.

Here is a mediocre mock-up:

As you can see in the example, the compression action is triggered 5ms before the real-time threshold would activate.

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #289
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafarkias View Post
Pre-attack, if you will?
That is one great idea, Dafarkias! I'm currently working with the amp sims, but this is worth giving a quick test right away.

Btw, could you take an unedited screenshot of the CompLab? Preferably with mouse over the plugin so that the adjustment circles are visible on the red presentation curve. I ask because it looks like the location of the adjustment points are drawn wrong in Windows. If they are, it's an issue I need to address.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #290
Dafarkias

Quote:
That is one great idea, Dafarkias! I'm currently working with the amp sims, but this is worth giving a quick test right away.

Btw, could you take an unedited screenshot of the CompLab? Preferably with mouse over the plugin so that the adjustment circles are visible on the red presentation curve. I ask because it looks like the location of the adjustment points are drawn wrong in Windows. If they are, it's an issue I need to address.
Of course!

It may have been caused by my edit-work with Paint.net

Please give me a day or so, I'm on vacation ATM.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:02 AM   #291
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Hi, I just discovered your most recent plugins : thank you for creating and sharing them, they seem very interesting !

One thing about linkEQ :
- Is it possible to link it in a "opposite" fashion (if you boost +3dB the master instance, it will lower the slave instance accordingly) ? I have tried tweaking the +/-100% (I thought it could serve this purpose, but it seems not) without luck so far.
- Also, is there any change to be able to have some instance color & name indication, so it would be easier to edit them at a glance?
Thank you
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #292
mrelwood

Following Dafarkias' great suggestion, I updated CompLab to 0.8:
- More precise metering
- Minor gfx improvements
- New source selector, including Mid & Side
- Mono out channel selection
- New: Up to 100ms of Pre-Comp (=look-ahead)!
- Fixed compressor hold, increased to 100ms

I also updated the website structure a while ago, as the amount of plugins is starting to be quite large...
http://mrelwoodplugins.ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Hi, I just discovered your most recent plugins : thank you for creating and sharing them, they seem very interesting !
Thank you for trying them out! Hopefully you'll find some of them useful.

Quote:
One thing about linkEQ :
- Is it possible to link it in a "opposite" fashion (if you boost +3dB the master instance, it will lower the slave instance accordingly) ?
Absolutely, that is the purpose the plugin was created for! The redesigned help pages are accessible from the question mark, and can hopefully give some pointers. Perhaps you adjusted the master volume link scale at the top of the window instead? The node link scale is adjustable at the orange info box of the slave instance.

Quote:
- Also, is there any change to be able to have some instance color & name indication, so it would be easier to edit them at a glance?
A few quick access color schemes would be a worthy addition, I agree. I'll see what I can come up with, thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by mrelwood; 03-03-2020 at 02:08 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:18 AM   #293
sinkmusic

Quote:
Absolutely, that is the purpose the plugin was created for! The redesigned help pages are accessible from the question mark, and can hopefully give some pointers. Perhaps you adjusted the master volume link scale at the top of the window instead? The node link scale is adjustable at the orange info box of the slave instance.
Ah, thank you !
I had tried with the green "+/-100%" box on the top of the screen, and it didn't work that way
Ok, so trying with the orange box works as expected : thank you !
It's nice to have per band link scaling.

I also notice that the user can enable/disable bands from being linked : it's very nice !

One suggestion : Would it be possible (in order to make the workflow faster) to have a "general/per band" setting ? This way, the user could make a quick setup by setting "general" (all nodes linked by default), and then tweak further later by enabling the "per band" setting... It might be technically a challenge, but maybe also an interesting feature ?

Quote:
A few quick access color schemes would be a worthy addition, I agree. I'll see what I can come up with, thanks for the suggestion!
I'm glad you like the idea !
Thank you for yourplugins
Old 03-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #294
mrelwood

Quote:
Would it be possible (in order to make the workflow faster) to have a "general/per band" setting ?
Already is! Drag a rectangle to cover the points you want to adjust, or click them one by one with Cmd/Ctrl or Shift, and you can adjust any value of all selected nodes at once.

Is the help/user guide section too unclear, or did you not yet have a look? There are quite a lot of features in LinkEQ, I don’t want you to miss any that you might find useful!
Old 03-03-2020, 03:08 AM   #295
Dafarkias

Quote:
- New: Up to 100ms of Pre-Comp (=look-ahead)
That was incredibly fast!

Very excited to try this out, my friend. I will post back later to share my experience testing this new feature.

Please give me a little more time to post my image of the plugin to this thread for you.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #296
sinkmusic

Quote:
Already is! Drag a rectangle to cover the points you want to adjust, or click them one by one with Cmd/Ctrl or Shift, and you can adjust any value of all selected nodes at once.

Is the help/user guide section too unclear, or did you not yet have a look? There are quite a lot of features in LinkEQ, I don’t want you to miss any that you might find useful!
Ah, awesome ! Thank you, Mrelwood !

I may have overlooked it (while looking for something else, like another feature).

Last edited by sinkmusic; 03-03-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:08 AM   #297
Dafarkias

Sorry for the wait!

Old 03-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #298
Dafarkias

One thing I found with the GUI using the new pre-comp feature is that the waveform image doesn't stretch the same as the red line that shows transient action, when resizing the overall jsfx window.

For instance:

When applying pre-comp of 100ms at first start of the plugin, the red line descends before the transient image begins.

When resizing the jsfx window much larger, the red line now does not descend until after the waveform image begins.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #299
mrelwood

Thanks for the screen cap! Luckily the visual glitches I was worried about seem to have been from the photo editing.

The only thing that doesn’t look right is the oscilloscope section, as the black area doesn’t reach all the way to the left. Does it still draw the analyzer lines all the way when there is audio?

The waveform was originally just an aid to further help visualise the controls, and it wasn’t meant to be proportionate or even scaled ”correctly”. But I admit that the pre-comp feature does call for a more precise scaling of the image. I’ll put it on the to-do list, although not at the very top I’m afraid.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:00 AM   #300
Dafarkias

Of course, I understand.

I'll post back later with another review.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #301
mrelwood

Today I bring you an update to:

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v8

- Instance colors!
- Possible fix for adjustment explosion! (Edit: Nope, sorry, still explodes.)
- Fixed node shape reset
- Fixed multinode-doubleclick dB bounceback
- Remove all EQ nodes to enter analyzer mode
- Added analyzer resonance hilight

JamesPeters, I hope you have a chance to try if you get this one to explode. I'm not at all sure if I found the fix, but at least I couldn't get it to explode right away.
(Edit: No need, sorry, still explodes.)

Last edited by mrelwood; 03-13-2020 at 02:23 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #302
sinkmusic

Quote:
Today I bring you an update to:

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v8
[B]- Instance colors!
Excellent ! Thank you, Mrelwood !

I was thinking about something... Do you think it could be worthwhile to add a third and fourth modes (maybe one called "total slave" and the other "inv. total slave", even if it doesn't sound that good), where every node would be automatically slaved to the master (for "total slave") and inverted to -100% (for "inv. total slave"), if that make sense ?
I like to be able to fine tune the slave, add some nodes, and accurately tweak the bands, but sometimes i wish everything I do on the Master would be automatically moved accordingly on the slave.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #303
mrelwood

Quote:
Do you think it could be worthwhile to add a third and fourth modes (maybe one called "total slave" and the other "inv. total slave", even if it doesn't sound that good), where every node would be automatically slaved to the master (for "total slave") and inverted to -100% (for "inv. total slave")
Marquee select all nodes, then drag Link to -100%, done!

Quote:
I like to be able to fine tune the slave, add some nodes, and accurately tweak the bands, but sometimes i wish everything I do on the Master would be automatically moved accordingly on the slave.
Actually, nodes added in slave mode were supposed to have a link value of 0%, but it didn't work correctly. I now fixed that for 0.81, available from the same download link above.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #304
sinkmusic

Quote:
Marquee select all nodes, then drag Link to -100%, done!
I didn't think about it, that's neat, thank you !
Old 03-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #305
mrelwood

Quote:
I didn't think about it, that's neat, thank you !
If you have ideas on how I could improve on the help section, I’d love to hear! I have used a lot of time to make all kinds of cool features, it’d be a shame if they failed to reach the user.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #306
sinkmusic

Quote:
If you have ideas on how I could improve on the help section, I’d love to hear! I have used a lot of time to make all kinds of cool features, it’d be a shame if they failed to reach the user.
Hello, Mrelwood.
Your online help is very nice. I think the reading issue is not on your side, but on mine
In fact, from my usage, it is a matter of workflow :
- when there is a PDF manual, i read it from start to end, prior to use the plugin.
- When there is online help, I read only fragments of it, when a better understanding of one specific feature is required. So, in this case, it is quite easy to overlook the other things (when you're focused on something else).
I hope that makes sense.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #307
mrelwood

The great idea about instance colors made me think of something I did with DynEQ, so I took the idea further. Let me introduce Slave Families / Link Channels by Color!

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v81

The way it works is that the Master only controls Slaves of the same color. (Black Master controls all colors though.) This way you can have 9 separate Slave families, with one Master in each of course.

You can now adjust the individual node link strengths in Single mode as well. Zeroing them out before switching to Slave mode or different Slave family makes them stay in manual control, and they won't lose their values.

Adding a node in Slave mode automatically sets the link value to zero.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #308
sinkmusic

Very interesting, thank you, Mrelwood !
Old 03-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #309
mrelwood

Version 0.81 introduced a few mouse dragging / capture bugs, fixed for:

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v82
Old 03-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #310
mrelwood

Oh man... 0.81 also introduced a bug where the EQ is updated only after letting go of the mouse button when dragging from the info box. Fixed for...

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v83
Old 05-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #311
mrelwood

It's about time to bring you guys some good news!

1) New Plugin: FriGate!
FriGate is a gate plugin with a lot of features and functionality:
- Lots of sources for gate open and close, including sidechain, duration and note length.
- Thresholds, hysteresis, slope duration, min. gate open duration, min. gate closed duration, pre-open, range, inverted source for Close...
- Waveform history for all four input channels
- Gate gain history
- Long pre-open & slope create a great "Reverse" effect!

Introduction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxuAFa7HTag

2) Big update for LinkEQ ... 0.86!
- New top bar with many new adjustments!
- Added adjustable HP & LP filters
- Increased max nodes to 10
- Individual graph curves for Stereo, Mid, Side, Left, and Right!
- Many small visual and operational improvements
- Inactive CPU leak fix

Both plugins now available at http://mrelwoodplugins.ml

Be safe everybody!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #312
Eliseat

Quote:

- Lots of sources for gate open and close, including sidechain, duration and note length.
- Thresholds, hysteresis, slope duration, min. gate open duration, min. gate closed duration, pre-open, range, inverted source for Close...
- Gate gain history

- Inactive CPU leak fix

Be safe everybody!
Many thanks Mr Elwood,

will take a look at it.

Greetings
Eli
Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #313
Regisfofo

Quote:

- Gate gain history

- Inactive CPU leak fix

Be safe everybody!

Oh yeah looking forward to try them as soon as I have some time! Very happy to see that gate coming
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #314
mikeymartin

Default plug-ins

Just d/l'd SonnyComp.....will install and report back....thanks Mr. E!
mikeymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #315
Eliseat

FriGate is awesome! Never saw a similar approach to manage the open and close aspects. Very clever and useful. Also the visual feedback is great.

Many thanks.
Eli
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #316
ivansc

C:\Users\ivansc\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Effects\mre lwood\mrelwood_DynEQ_0v973

This is the path that I used to install the unzipped file for this one & two others I downloaded.
For some reason this one & the other two I downloaded are not showing up, even after I rebooted the computer. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #317
JamesPeters

Are your other JS effects located in the folder named:

Code:
C:\Users\ivansc\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Effects
If not, it's the incorrect folder. And you can find the correct folder this way:

HOW TO INSTALL JS PLUGINS
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #318
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Are your other JS effects located in the folder named:

Code:
C:\Users\ivansc\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Effects
If not, it's the incorrect folder. And you can find the correct folder this way:

HOW TO INSTALL JS PLUGINS
Ha Ha they were all there alerady. I had foolishly been looking for them with the mrelwood suffix instead of just plain DynEQ ETC!!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #319
mrelwood

Hi guys!

I've been having a hard time finding enough time to work on my plugins, so I'm advancing slowly. There are new versions coming at least for LinkEQ and AmpEra, but they just need more work.

Meanwhile, I needed a new kind of a plugin, so I started working on this one. I think it's quite interesting! The biggest issue is though that it doesn't have a name! Please help me out, and leave your suggestion in here, or in the YouTube comments:

YouTube demo:
https://youtu.be/Rpd2_jSwzN0

The plugin itself:
http://b.link/NoName_0v1
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #320
sinkmusic

Very interesting!
I like the way you managed to create a focused plugin (purpose orientated), both simple to use and allowing for deeper tweakings.
Congratulations!