Old 02-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
Dberman
Human being with feelings

Default Set automation mode from control surface

I am trying to map a Behringer X-Touch One to Reaper, and one of the things I need is to map a row of buttons to automation modes. In Mackie Control User mode and using Mackie Control (Klinke), one button is automatically mapped to Write mode.

I have tried Realearn and changed my control to CSI, but I haven't stumbled across a way to map a button. The fader, rotary encoder, and jog wheel all work. The default mappings for buttons all work in MCU mode.

Am I missing something, or is this not possible? Most of the forum posts and videos talk about mapping encoders and faders. As always any guidance or assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Dberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dberman View Post
I am trying to map a Behringer X-Touch One to Reaper, and one of the things I need is to map a row of buttons to automation modes. In Mackie Control User mode and using Mackie Control (Klinke), one button is automatically mapped to Write mode.

I have tried Realearn and changed my control to CSI, but I haven't stumbled across a way to map a button. The fader, rotary encoder, and jog wheel all work. The default mappings for buttons all work in MCU mode.

Am I missing something, or is this not possible? Most of the forum posts and videos talk about mapping encoders and faders. As always any guidance or assistance will be greatly appreciated.
In CSI, buttons need to be defined in the .mst file just like anything else.

Here's an example of some automation button widgets from my MIDIFighterTwister.mst in CSI. Obviously, your MIDI addresses would be different.

Code:
Widget TrimRead
    Press B1 04 7F
    FB_TwoState B1 04 7F B1 04 00
WidgetEnd

Widget Touch
    Press B1 05 7F
    FB_TwoState B1 05 7F B1 05 00
WidgetEnd

Widget Latch
    Press B1 06 7F
    FB_TwoState B1 06 7F B1 06 00
WidgetEnd

Widget Write
    Press B1 07 7F
    FB_TwoState B1 07 7F B1 07 00
WidgetEnd
So the .mst defines the capabilities, then in the zone file, you have to define each button to a Reaper action. Here are those same buttons in the MFTiwster zone:

Code:
	TrimRead TrackAutoMode 0
	Touch TrackAutoMode 2
	Latch TrackAutoMode 4
	Write TrackAutoMode 3
You can check out the main CSI thread if you need more guidance. I've posted my MIDI Fighter Twister files there if you go back a few pages and want an example.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Dberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
In CSI, buttons need to be defined in the .mst file just like anything else.

You can check out the main CSI thread if you need more guidance. I've posted my MIDI Fighter Twister files there if you go back a few pages and want an example.
Thank you for the examples! Going to try CSI one more time.
Dberman is offline   Reply With Quote