Old 12-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Default Slow loading of samples in VSTi

So I have a Reaper project with an instance of Superior Drummer 3 which loads around 9 gigs of samples into RAM every time I launch the project. However on one of my computers the loading happens very quickly like maybe under 10 seconds, however on my laptop this process takes a lot longer around maybe 3-4 minutes. My computer and laptop are pretty similar spec wise and I generally try to have them setup the same way. But I am guessing I may have inadvertently tweaked something on my laptop that has changed the way it loads samples into RAM or something but I have no idea what that might be. Does anyone know what might be happening here?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #2
Stella645

I assume you're sure they are both SSD drives??

Maybe run a drive speed test to see if that tells you anything.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I assume you're sure they are both SSD drives??

Maybe run a drive speed test to see if that tells you anything.
In fact neither is SSD. Ok I will try the drive speed test. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
The Bunker

Actually a Noob question... how do I run a speed test? Is there some sort of Windows utility that does that or do I need third party software? I am on Windows 10.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
mschnell

Maybe a disk is faulty, but many laptops do have a tendency to be slow, as they are designed mainly with long battery live in mind.

You could do a defragmnentation, sometimes it helps.

But IMHO no need to do a speed test. For such task you definitively should use appropriate hardware: a decently new motherboard featuring high speed SATA sockets and SSD.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe a disk is faulty, but many laptops do have a tendency to be slow, as they are designed mainly with long battery live in mind.

You could do a defragmnentation, sometimes it helps.

But IMHO no need to do a speed test. For such task you definitively should use appropriate hardware: a decently new motherboard featuring high speed SATA sockets and SSD.

-Michael
I can try defragmenting the drive but the difference is so great between the two drives that I doubt this is the reason. I mainly asked here hoping that it might have been some sort of Reaper preference that I was unaware of that someone here might know about. Does anyone know if there are any Reaper preferences that effect things such as sample loading times?
Old 12-23-2019, 03:42 AM   #7
ivansc

Very possible that you have a 7200 rpm HDD in one (or a SSD) and a 5400 rpm HDD in the other. This would at least partially account for a significant increase in load times. FWIW I took the DVD drive out of my laptop & replaced it with a cheap 340gb SSD. My i5 laptop with 6gb of memory now loads my SSD3 stuff faster than the i7 studio machine with 16gb & all the Toontrack stuff on a separate 7200rpm HDD.

I already have a SSD as boot drive in both & am now wondering if I can afford a second 1tb SSD for the studio machine...
Old 12-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Very possible that you have a 7200 rpm HDD in one (or a SSD) and a 5400 rpm HDD in the other. This would at least partially account for a significant increase in load times. FWIW I took the DVD drive out of my laptop & replaced it with a cheap 340gb SSD. My i5 laptop with 6gb of memory now loads my SSD3 stuff faster than the i7 studio machine with 16gb & all the Toontrack stuff on a separate 7200rpm HDD.

I already have a SSD as boot drive in both & am now wondering if I can afford a second 1tb SSD for the studio machine...
Ok so I am getting the sense that there is nothing within Reaper that could impact this and that its something at component level which I can't dp anything about at this stage.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #9
The Bunker

For anyone that cares to know I actually figured this out, apparently it has to do with the bridging mode of the VSTi (in this case Superior Drummer 3). If it is Native then it loads the samples way slower than when it run as a separate process. Not sure if this is intended behaviour or some sorta bug but that is the cause anyway. Would be cool if someone else could also check on their system to see if they also get this behaviour. I guess it would be more noticeable with a VSTi that is loading a lot of samples. In my case it was over 9 gig.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #10
dhendart

How were you able to fix it? Thanks!
dhendart is offline   Reply With Quote