Old 04-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default LURKERS!!! Say Hi

Judging from the number of downloads, and repeat downloads, we got a LOT of people running reaper that we havent met.

If any are lurking here, sign in and say hi!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 AM   #2
scum
Human being with feelings

the most secret lurkers here are sony, steinberg etc. team members
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

So what is the number of downloads typically, or is that a matter of commercial confidence?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
Paul

Hope I'm not regarded as a 'Lurker' but am new to this home recording thing and looking to pick up tips, links etc as well as what appears to be some lovely software to try out and save myself hundreds that would otherwise be heading to Mr Steinberg!

So Hello all!!
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Kevin

I'm keeping a close watch on Reaper as it developes.. I'm strictly an audio guy. No Midi. I am a Sawstudio user, which also has a 1mb
install .. It all started with Vegas 1 or 2(cant remember), switched to Sonar, then finally found Sawstudio..
Reaper is the closest app I have come across that can perform like Saw. Very interested here!!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
creeble

Default No longer a lurker, with a question

Here's my REAPER story.

I'm an Old Guy. Almost all of my multitrack audio experience has been with tape - anybody know what an MM1000 is (was)? I had a project studio in the '80s with a 1/2" 8-track, and have basically been waiting since then for computers to become fast enough and interfaces to become cheap enough to start recording again.

Yesterday, I hooked up my brand-new Alesis MultiMix16 FireWire mixer/interface to REAPER, and discovered that the day has finally come. Wow.

Mind you, I'm not a *total* digital newbie; I've used Adobe Audition for a couple of years, mostly for ripping vinyl and tape (all 2-track stuff). Indeed, I tried hooking Audition to my MultiMix first, only to find that my (1.5) version didn't support ASIO, so I couldn't do multitrack. Then I remembered this thing I downloaded months ago and never really played with. Downloaded the latest version of REAPER and was up and tracking in 5 minutes, without so much as looking at a help file. Outrageous! But the performance is what's really impressive, at least so far (haven't created a big project yet). I just can't believe how fast this thing is.

Okay, more praise to come, but maybe somebody out there can help an Old Guy with a (no doubt noob) question: bouncing tracks? I've now got 7 tracks of just drums laid down, and I want to mix them down to two (or a single stereo track), where I can then cut it up for loops. What's the best way to do this? Or should I do it at all; do "folder tracks" make sense here?

Thanks for any help, and especially thanks to Justin for this unbelievable tool.
creeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeble
I've now got 7 tracks of just drums laid down, and I want to mix them down to two (or a single stereo track), where I can then cut it up for loops. What's the best way to do this? Or should I do it at all; do "folder tracks" make sense here?
I'd probably create a folder track or bus for the drums (folder track is easiest). You can then solo the Drums folder track or bus and render it. Ctrl+alt+R = Render.

Bip bam, done!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
creeble

Fluffy, thanks mucho. Just for my edification (all apologies, my REAPER box is back at home), what exactly does render do? I get that it must mix (w/effects, etc) down to 2-track, but where's the result go?

Much thanks, you're great for responding so quickly.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeble
what exactly does render do? I get that it must mix (w/effects, etc) down to 2-track, but where's the result go?
That's correct. You can also render "stems" from the same dialog, as well as set an option to add the resulting files to new tracks in the current project.

You can browse to the location you wish to deposit the resultant file(s) in the render dialog.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
woolyloach

Lurk, lurk, lurk... ohoh, I've been seen!

Following development with great interest - I do most of my actual composing in Orion Platinum, but I'm looking for a replacement for my audio mixing and mastering program, which is starting to show it's age (no folder tracks? omg!).

I haven't really tried taking anything from beginning to end in Reaper, but the few mixing tests I've done have been quite successful.

I'm an old guy too.. my first multitrack was a Teac 4-track with sound-on-sound! Wow, was I excited when I got it.. lol! thankfully times have changed a lot. I kinda miss my old Oberheim drum machine, though.. ;-p
woolyloach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

My first EMI portable recorder had valves, 5" small reels at 15ips, and the battery lasted about 7 minutes - the tape even less, I think.... heh, the whole minidisc or ipod concept would have been unimagined even by Sci-Fi writers then.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
creeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
That's correct. You can also render "stems" from the same dialog, as well as set an option to add the resulting files to new tracks in the current project.
Doh! Of course. Thanks. This is really killer.

Sorry to have started the Old Guy thread...
Old 04-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
nosmoriffs

OK I will no longer lurk.I'm a kristal user that was looking at cubase,but considering yamaha owns steinburg now,it looks like reaper is it.Or maybe samplitude.Kristal sure is easy to use though.Considering the support here it should be do-able for a "technically challenged" person like myself to get up and running w/ it! Fluff-you sure this will hang w/ samplitde for audio fidelity? Will the Vienna orchestra want to use it?
nosmoriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #14
fluffy

It's deinitely not point to point with Samplitude yet, but the things Samp can do that Reaper can't are slowly disappearing. And Reaper is MILES ahead of anything else in terms of routing.

I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality. Art Evans, I believe, actually seems to specialize in orchestral music.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #15
synth

Quote:
the most secret lurkers here are sony, steinberg etc. team members
I believe most of the downloaders are actually those freeware download sites constantly hammering the servers for a new version of REAPER,and the curious people who download from those sites.Also,KVR users are now starting to download REAPER like bloody maniacs

The secret "BIG FISH" lurkers also seem to be attracted to the bait.

Last edited by synth; 04-26-2006 at 07:17 PM.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #16
Jim Roseberry

Default I'm here lurking/testing

Those who know my background (since the original SAW classic days) know that I'm a Samplitude guy. Wrote the English user manual for v5.x.

Reaper has come a long way in a very short time!

I can't make a 100% switch (yet) due to some instability (though it's not that bad) and some features that I'd miss. But it's great to see such a responsive developer!
I keep track of Reaper's development on a daily basis...
So I'm most definitely interested in its progess.

Justin, you're doing an excellent job. Keep it up!!

With v.948 the biggest thing that jumps out at me is plugin management. I have a lot of plugins... and the current system is functional... but could be more convenient. I'd prefer to have DirectX and VST plugins (and instruments) separated.
Believe it or not, I actually like Tracktion's method of organizing plugins. Simple and Effective

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #17
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roseberry

With v.948 the biggest thing that jumps out at me is plugin management. I have a lot of plugins... and the current system is functional... but could be more convenient. I'd prefer to have DirectX and VST plugins (and instruments) separated.
You can organize plugins, in a fashion similar to Samplitude, with a couple of .ini's. They're still under one menu, but it's not bad.

I'm a Samplitude user of several years, and have been slowly making the transition to Reaper. I don't yet depend on it entirely, but I'm able to use it more and more.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality. Art Evans, I believe, actually seems to specialize in orchestral music.
I'm using Reaper to prepare concert programs for broadcast on a major Australian city's classical music FM station. I'd also be entirely happy to use it for preparing classical CDs for commercial release.

But frankly the chances of you reliably hearing any statistically significant difference between the identically prepared outputs from any audio editing program of any serious standing these days is close to zero. If you can hear a difference the chances are that there is something wrong with your test procedure.

Actually I've just undertaken a quick test, mixing two files together first in Audition and also in Reaper. In both cases I used the "Ambience" vst reverb on both tracks (obviously with the same preset). I then inverted the output of one against the other and the peak difference between the two was +1 and -1 samples, which is the difference you would get from dither being applied to one mixdown and not being applied to the other - or between two dithered files maybe, the difference being just random noise. But on the assumption that the Reaper mix is undithered I'd turned off dithering in Audition. Not sure what the implication is there, but in any event the difference is insignificant.

[Slight qualification - Audition adds the reverb tail at the end of the mixdown/render, Reaper doesn't].

Last edited by Art Evans; 04-26-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #19
titanium

Hobbyist T2 user. Saw R.E.A.P.E.R. mentioned on KvR, tried it out of curiosity.

Automation
Frequent updates

Dislikes:
Audio stability affected by gui usage
Menus don't seem well organized (but context menus are reasonable)
Dialogs in general
Plugin mgmt
titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #20
pipelineaudio
Mortal

welcome one and all! Didnt hurt to delurk for a bit did it?

Remember with reaper, you got a developer who actually listens!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #21
fatelvis

I have to say more than Hi,cause the length of just saying hi is not allowed by the board,so hello.

The king lives...

even though he died in 1977

But the king lives on in forums all over the internet baby!

Oh yeah,nice app,the king approves.
fatelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #22
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roseberry
Those who know my background (since the original SAW classic days) know that I'm a Samplitude guy. Wrote the English user manual for v5.x.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Hey! WHo let Jim in here?

Nice to see you!

Bizzarre amalgamation of people spreading the reaper madness
Old 04-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #23
fluffy

Yep, Roseberry's one of those names everyones in the audio world's probably heard.

He's pretty much a legend in the Samplitude world!