Old 07-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
PinkGiraffe
Human being with feelings

Default User scripts to VST

Request

How cool would it be if one could transform Reaper user scripts (written in either EEL2 or Lua) to VSTs that could be used in any DAW?

Benefit

It would add incredible value to Reaper scripts. It could totally be a new product that people would pay for. I would buy that product.

Reason

Writting VSTs is still very hard. JUCE is about the only game in town and requires C++. Reaper user scripts are pretty straightforward and yet very powerful, and cover both MIDI and audio manipulation.

Implementation Suggestion

No GUI would be required for the tool which could be a command line command. The purpose of the tool would be to package as little Reaper functionality as possible "around" a script to make it work as a VST in another DAW, plus the VST API. (If some features are specific to Reaper and not available as part of the VST spec the tool could warn about it.)
PinkGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Welcome to the forum.

I have the feeling, that some things got messed up, so I clear it up a little:

Lua and EEL2-scripts are not for fx, only for additional "workflow improvements". So converting them to VST would do nothing, as they can't really do fx/audio-processing.

What you are probably talking about is JSFX(which is a version of EEL2), for which there's a plugin already, which can run such JSFX-scripts.

And: VST's do not work as command-line-tool afaik. They are loaded into the audiosoftware directly.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
PinkGiraffe

Yes I meant JSFX, sorry if that wasn't clear. I'll try to edit the title of the post. (But it seems one can edit a post but not its title.)

I wrote several JSFXs for my own use, in EEL2; I thought you could write them in Lua also, is that not the case?

Regarding command line: the tool I'm talking about would be a utility to transform JSFX into VSTs, but the resulting VST would use whatever GUI was implemented -- either the default slider-based one, or a more elaborate one. (So: input = JSFX, output = dll).

Last edited by PinkGiraffe; 07-01-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Clarification
PinkGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Ah ok, yes for the conversion itself a command-line tool would work.

You can change the thread-title as well, but you need to hit Edit first and then Advanced.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote