Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #81
Vagalume
Human being with feelings

Hi again Cubic

How did you avoid this indenting tracks issue,which happens in Nitro, in Crado ? I would like to learn how you have achieved it, if it is a lot work to explain you might tell the lines of the code to pay attention and I will try to figure it out. As you know I am really bad a Walter but moving the numbers usually does the trick ... if you know where to change things

I will show two images of your themes to compare because it is difficult to me to explain "the issue" in English.

So, same tracks, different themes, can you see the difference?

Nitro.

Crado.

Last edited by Vagalume; 01-19-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #82
cubic13

Hi again, Vagalume

It's rather complicated but to make long things as short as can be, your screenshots show two different ways to manage the folder tracks indentations. In Crado, I use these :

Code:
Code: ;Header of the rtconfig.txt (unwaltered)
tcp_folderindent 13

; TCP (waltered)
set tcp.margin +:folderdepth:1 [-13 0 0 0] 
set tcp.margin +:maxfolderdepth:1 [13 0 0 0]
The first line sticks the left margin of a tcp panel to the border your monitor (consequently, all the controls that have 0 as first coordinate will also be). Additionaly, all the controls having the same first coordinate will be aligned vertically. Why so ? simply because it uses the exact opposite value of the tcp_folderindent (-13) to make them all aligned (this, no matter the folderdepth value which is defined by the tcp_folderindent one) ; i.e. if a control has a folderdepth value of 1, its first coordinate will be shifted to the left by 13 pixels, if another has a folderdepth value of 2 it will be shifted to the left by 26 pixels, ans so on...)

The problem is that, yes, they will be shifted and aligned but also stuck to the border of the monitor, no matter the folder indent images defined in the theme, some controls being displayed over these. The second line solves this : it takes the tcp.margin value that made all the controls stick to the border of the monitor and shifts it to the right, this time, by a value which is the maximal folder indentation (= maxfolderdepth) of the project at a given time. Even if just one track has a folderdepth of 3, all the others having a lesser value, the maxfolderdepth value will be 3. The result is that all the controls are still vertically aligned, but shifted to the right with a first coordinate big enough to respect the display of all the existing folder indentations.

Actually, these two lines are equivalent to the following line, remembering that margins are defined by at least 4 coordinates :

Code:
set tcp.margin +:folderdepth:maxfolderdepth [-13 0 0 0] [13 0 0 0]
This one is much better in my view as, first, it strictly follows the documentation concerning the +:val1:val2 expression (see here for more details) and, second, it condense all the margin shift stuff in one single line. The whole thing is then much more comprehensible : in this case, folderdepth is (first expression), [-13 0 0 0] is (second expression), -1 being val1 and 1 being val2.

It can also be simply written like this :

Code:
set tcp.margin + * folderdepth [-13 0 0 0] * maxfolderdepth [13 0 0 0]
Or even like this, since Reaper 5.0 and the introduction of the minus operator :

Code:
set tcp.margin * - maxfolderdepth folderdepth [13 0 0 0]
So, why such a convoluted way to do things with two lines ? A mystery. But as we, themers, are more or less lazy persons, a lot of us took this expression as it was in Reaper 4 default theme, without looking further.

Beside this, no, contrarily to what I also lazily stated first and what has already been stated in other posts on the subject, you cannot use a variable to mimick the indentation behavior. A quick test with this on the tcp.solo control, using CRado :

Code:
def anch_LR [0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0]
def anch_LRB [0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1]
; (not used) set tcp.margin +:folderdepth:1 [-13 0 0 0] 
; (not used) set tcp.margin +:maxfolderdepth:1 [13 0 0 0]
set sh_margin * - maxfolderdepth folderdepth [13 0 0 0]
set tcp.solo w<125 [0] + + 1stLine sh_margin w<378 + anch_LR [216 3 27 19] [334 3 27 19]
At a first glance, yes, the display of these two controls is done at the right place. But the test based on the width (w<...) will not be done correctly, because the tcp.margin value acts upon it. If it's not set, the test will be done with an indentation of the tcp_folderindent value. Same thing for the position of a control that is anchored on the left and right. The only way to go over this is by using an expression in which the width test is dependent on a variable itself using the folderdepth value, something like :

Code:
set w_solo1 - 125 * folderdepth 13
set w_solo2 - 378 * folderdepth 13
set tcp.solo w<w_solo1{x} [0] + + 1stLine sh_margin w<w_solo2{x} + anch_LR [216 3 27 19] [334 3 27 19]
But the whole thing becomes increasingly complicated, and something like w<+ 378 shift_r isn't usable. From which, I reckon that using the tcp.margin attribute is, by far, the simpliest way to do things when a vertical alignment of the tcp controls is involved.

In the Nitrogen pack, I don't use the two lines used to tweak the tcp panel margins because, for a reason (I don't remember which one, actually), I didn't want all the controls aligned. So I just defined these :

Code:
;Header of the rtconfig.txt (unwaltered)
tcp_folderindent 10

;TCP (waltered)
set tcp.margin [10 0 0 0]
Doing this, I basically asks Walter to just shift the tcp panel left margin at 10 pixels on the right from the monitor border. The tcp_folderindent defined in the "unwaltered" section being in charge for the folder indentation. In other words, each folder indentation degree will have its own margin which will be proportional to its own folderdepth value (the minimal right shift value being 10 pixels). It's not an issue for me, it's just another way of displaying the folder indentations with no vertical alignment of the controls in the different tcp panels.

Hope this will help...

Last edited by cubic13; 01-23-2019 at 05:04 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #83
Vagalume

Of course this helps a looooooooot. Cubic, thanks (as usual) for your time and patience. I will study and do some test with all your info. Congrats for this theme it is done with a lot of care. I love its indentation, the variety of layouts, the mcp pan faders and the tcp meters ... well done !!!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #84
MCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
The files involved are the following :

mcp_recarm_auto.png
mcp_recarm_auto_on.png
track_recarm_auto.png
track_recarm_auto_on.png

...without forgetting the instances of these that are also present in the different layouts subfolders. Basically, each file has three views of the involved control : the main one on the left, visible when no interaction occurs, the one in the middle that appears when the user hover the mouse cursor above it, and the one on the right, appearing when the control is clicked.

From which, you need an image editor (such as Paint.NET, Gimp, photoshop... - I use the former for 95% of my work, as I'm so at ease with it) which is able to edit PNG files and their transparency layer. The procedure is the following :

1) Make a copy of the CRado.ReaperThemeZip file in a safe place (outside the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation).
2) Change its extension to .zip and unzip it : you should get both a CRado.ReaperTheme file and a CRado folder which contains the files listed above.
3) Edit the different instances of these files as wanted, with your image editor.
4) Rezip again BOTH CRado.ReaperTheme file and CRado folder together and change the resulting archive extension to .ReaperThemeZip.
5) Replace the existing theme with this new version in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

HTWH... If not, let me know with a screenshot the exact tint you would like for the "automatic record-arm" state of the record button.
Hi cubic13! I haven't been able to find the time to look into this, I've been working quite a bit in a few different projects the last few weeks, but I wanted to say thanks for your explanation, I'm sure it would have been really helpful had I actually tried to do it myself.

In the meantime, I just got used to the current shade for automatic record-arm.

I still think it'd be better if it had a more distinctive tint. I don't remember which theme it was that I was using, the record red dot was orange in tracks with automatic record-arm, which was very distinct and clear.

In the end I think it doesn't bother me that much because I use it mostly for all my hardware synts - I always keep the midi track for all my synths in automatic record-arm, so if I want to play a synth I just select the track and play in my master controller keyboard right in front of me. So it's not usually any random track that's got the feature selected, so it's kinda easy to remember.

Well thanks again for your reply, and for the theme.
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 AM   #85
cubic13

@MCV

Fine. Let me know eventual other suggestions...

@Vagalume

CAUTION : I have rewritten my last post as there were things rather misleading or even untrue, sorry. So, forget the first version and, if you are still on it, read again the new one, which is longer but more precise, I think...
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #86
Vagalume

Thanks I will, it was really interesting your first answer, I have been doing some experimentation

By the way, after reading your first reply I realized that you are so right, it is not really an issue, just a different way of doing things.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:00 AM   #87
sightlessness

Mostly your themes are very very good, is just because of this or that I couldn't pick one of yours to finally land as a permanent one (my loss ofc). But since my circumstances changed now, for good I hope, your themes are now shining under a different light. And since I have become a Spitfire fan, and watched them work
in their videos with Logic, I finally find amazing your Clogic and Flogic themes. I still can't decide on one, because the Cubase ones are very good too. I like different things more in one theme than the other (not visually but elements wise -as in maybe this or that element 1 px bigger or something like that, or that the Ensynna has this very good to the eye FX tab above the FX item-, or decisions wise -where you put elements-). Bottom line is I just wanted to thank you again and give some praise, but I hope you don't need it, lol. You are very generous and by your answers (to everyone) you seem very kind too, I guess they go hand in hand. Cheers.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #88
cubic13

Thanks for this, sightlessness. It's appreciated...
Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #89
lessera

Hey cubic. Just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful skin. It was the skin that pushed me over the edge, and made me switch to Reaper, after many years of Cubase (SX right up to 9.5).

I have made a few modifications to it, for my own personal tastes. To me, this skin IS Reaper (or it oughta be).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cRado.jpg (59.1 KB, 421 views)
lessera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #90
sightlessness

Right now I feel Nitrogen is my fave, would be nice to have the Ensyna FX tabs, which look pretty cool. So far Nitrogen seems the most clear and stoic but not boring theme so far. Even the Logic ones (from all themers) still haven't achieved the finesse of the original, lol, the gray is kinda shitty, idk. Never mind me, Nitrogen is awesome. And classy/elegant.

Edit: Ahhh, I hate sometimes me saying things, even if I understand them as true,
I now feel it's unfair to say anything about anything because in this case several themes
have great things going on them. Cheers.

Last edited by sightlessness; 02-07-2019 at 08:23 PM.
sightlessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #91
Hartley Mays

Default Best of Both

Cubic,

Thanks very much for your work on this. For some time, I had been trying to decide between Rado themes and your Eyssina, so it's great to have the best of both worlds now and use CRADO to go forward.

Do any of the scripts you wrote for earlier themes have potential benefits if adopted for this one?

The one thing I want to improve on is that the lack of contrast between selected and unselected tracks. I don't want to have to use the convoluted procedure for outlining discussed earlier; are there any other ways to address this?

A general question on theming, specifically toolbar buttons stored in the theme: I've noticed that they are not (necessarily) defined explicitly in the toolbar menu definition, but can be picked up automatically. Specifically, I realized this was happening in this theme for some of the main toolbar actions which pick up the Rado icons from the zip. I read through a lot of forum posts and some of the documentation on how theming works, but can't find a complete explanation of how this works. Is it based on an explicit match of the toolbar name in the theme file with the action name for the button? Is it only done for the main toolbar or any toolbars with actions whose name matches? Or some other Reaper/Walter wizardry somewhere?

Thanks again,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #92
emwhy

Since we're all asking Cubic questions it's my turn! (lol) In this theme I like the way the VU meters display. Is that from the .png file, the rtconfig file, or Walter or all 3?
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #93
cubic13

Hi, Hartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Mays View Post
Do any of the scripts you wrote for earlier themes have potential benefits if adopted for this one?
No, the scripts that are bundled in the CubicPack are designed to work only with the different declinations of either Eyssina or Frema themes.

Quote:
The one thing I want to improve on is that the lack of contrast between selected and unselected tracks. I don't want to have to use the convoluted procedure for outlining discussed earlier; are there any other ways to address this?
It's actually a graphical work to do, increasing the brightness of some png files. They are the following :

envcp_bgsel.png
mcp_bgsel.png
mcp_mainbgsel.png
tcp_bgsel.png
tcp_iconbgsel.png
tcp_mainbgsel.png

Be sure to edit all the occurences of these files, as there are several of them dispatched in different subfolders of the theme, once unzipped (especially the mcp_bgsel.png one).

Quote:
A general question on theming, specifically toolbar buttons stored in the theme: I've noticed that they are not (necessarily) defined explicitly in the toolbar menu definition, but can be picked up automatically. Specifically, I realized this was happening in this theme for some of the main toolbar actions which pick up the Rado icons from the zip. I read through a lot of forum posts and some of the documentation on how theming works, but can't find a complete explanation of how this works. Is it based on an explicit match of the toolbar name in the theme file with the action name for the button? Is it only done for the main toolbar or any toolbars with actions whose name matches? Or some other Reaper/Walter wizardry somewhere?

Thanks again,
Hartley
There are toolbar icons that are explicitely defined in the images list that you can find here. Most of them are indeed appearing in the default main toolbar, some others in the piano roll one. If Reaper find these, it will automatically display them, accordingly to their state and, if no changes have been done in the actions definition of the main toolbar in the Customize menus/Toolbars window, these toolbar icons will trigger the defined default actions for each of them. In the theme, most of the available toolbar icons have been done by Nick Moritz (the creator of the RADO v4 theme), though, as they are used in the added toolbars bundled with the theme.

Hope this will help...
Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #94
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwhy View Post
Since we're all asking Cubic questions it's my turn! (lol) In this theme I like the way the VU meters display. Is that from the .png file, the rtconfig file, or Walter or all 3?
There are different graphic files involved. Basically :
- the colors of the strips used are defined in both meter_strip_h.png and meter_strip_v.png files.
- The frames that surround them are defined in these : meter_bg_mcp.png, meter_bg_mcp_master, meter_bg_tcp.png.
- The backgrounds of the meters are defined in these : meter_bg_h.png, meter_bg_v.png.

The meters appear as interlaced. This can also be changed in the Theme development/Tweaker window : near the half of the list, you have a Theme has interlaced meters option with, few lines under, the ability to define the color used when this option is ticked.

The things defined in the rtconfig.txt file (Walter) are the dimensions of the meters, the relative width of the color strips used in them, and the colors used for the scales display.

Hope this will help also...
Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #95
Hartley Mays

Default default theme toolbar icons

Cubic,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm clear on everything except the toolbar button question which I didn't state clearly. I'm using my own version of the main toolbar, not the one you package with the theme. Some of the buttons in it, such as undo, redo, save project have the item definition but no icon definition, i.e. "item_8=40029 Undo" with no icon_8 statement, but somehow the Rado undo icon from the theme folder is used. So my question is how this matchup occurs.

Later,
Hartley
Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #96
emwhy

The meters appear as interlaced. This can also be changed in the Theme development/Tweaker window : near the half of the list, you have a Theme has interlaced meters option with, few lines under, the ability to define the color used when this option is ticked.

That did the trick.....side note you can only change the interlaced option if the theme is unpacked.

Thanks Cubic for all you do for us!!
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #97
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwhy View Post

That did the trick.....side note you can only change the interlaced option if the theme is unpacked.

Thanks Cubic for all you do for us!!
It should be possible even for packed themes. But you have to be aware, your change is remembered by Reaper until theme is changed to another one. You can make it persistent, saving theme settings from Theme development/Tweaker windo. It will not create full theme, but saves a theme file containing data settable in mentioned window, and referring to the original theme archive.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 AM   #98
cubic13

@emwhy
Thanks to you...

Quote:
Cubic,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm clear on everything except the toolbar button question which I didn't state clearly. I'm using my own version of the main toolbar, not the one you package with the theme. Some of the buttons in it, such as undo, redo, save project have the item definition but no icon definition, i.e. "item_8=40029 Undo" with no icon_8 statement, but somehow the Rado undo icon from the theme folder is used. So my question is how this matchup occurs.

Later,
Hartley
Unless I still haven't get your question, again, it's due to the fact that the involved icon is in the official image list.

Let's take the example of your Undo icon : in the theme image folder, you have a toolbar_undo.png file which is the one that Reaper will use, as it is present in this list. If you save the main toolbar after having reset it, you get this :

Code:
[Main toolbar]
item_0=40023 New project...
item_1=40025 Open project...
item_2=40026 Save project
item_3=40021 Project settings...
item_4=40029 Undo
item_5=40030 Redo
item_6=40364 Enable metronome
item_7=40041 Enable auto-crossfade
item_8=1156 Enable grouping
item_9=1155 Enable ripple editing
item_10=40070 Move envelope points with media items
item_11=40145 Show arrange view grid
item_12=1157 Enable snapping
item_13=1135 Enable locking
There is no reference to icon image files. So :
- If there are icon images files present in the images folder of the theme with names matching the ones defined in the official list, these will be displayed.
- Otherwise, default icons are used by Reaper. If the command involved is not related to one of the icon images that are in the list, it's a text icon one that will be displayed.

After this, how the default commands called from the main toolbar are related to the icon images of the list, I don't know. It's probably hard-coded in the Reaper executable file...

Last edited by cubic13; 03-23-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #99
Hartley Mays

Default Got it, Thanks.

OK, got it now.

Thanks again,
Hartley
Old 08-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #100
Skorobagatko

Hi cubic13! How can I make CRado's "folder collapse" state like in CubeX theme, so it hides all tracks completely?
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #101
cubic13

Hi, Skorobagatko

If you're not against a little tweaking and text editing, here is how to proceed :

1) Make a copy of the CRado.ReaperThemeZip outside the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.
2) Change its extension from .ReaperThemeZip to .zip and extract all its content. At this point, you should see two objects : a CRado.ReaperTheme file and a CRado folder.
3) In the latter, you have a rtconfig.txt file which contains all the instructions that command the theme behavior : open it with a raw text editor (Notepad++ or an equivalent).
4) Locate the line #20, in the header of the file, which is the following :

tcp_heights 4 24 46 66

5) ... and edit it to get this :

tcp_heights 0 24 46 66

6) Save the edit done.
7) Rezip BOTH the CRado.ReaperTheme file and CRado folder together and change the .zip extension of the resulting file to .ReaperThemeZip.
8) Bring it back in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

Done ! This time, the tracks should be really collapsed.

An additional comment, about this : some users are yelling each time they see a theme with tracks becoming invisible when collapsed, stating that it's dangerous, as some of their objects might be selected and processed out of view. Seems to me that, as long as you know what you're doing...
Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #102
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Seems to me that, as long as you know what you're doing...
Exactly! Thanks a lot for help and all these beautiful themes!

Last edited by Skorobagatko; 08-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 AM   #103
Luster

FYI:

With Reaper 6 this theme - like all Reaborn2 based ones at least - doesn't look like expected: the item buttons are scaled in a wrong way.

Have a look here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=229744
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #104
vicenzajay

Default Some help please

Love this - but I have two questions:

1) in all the latest RADO themes, when I load them up and select track color - it only colors the name "bar" of the track...not the whole track as RADO 4 used to do. I see the screenshots here of the full track tint, so how do I make that happen?

2)Disregard...found the answer to this one...

Still not understanding why the screenshots with full "transparent" tinting don't translate to the theme when I load it....?

Last edited by vicenzajay; 04-14-2020 at 03:33 PM.
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #105
Segue59

Default Separator TCP

Is there a way to show text in the TCP Separator.
Segue59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #106
vsthem

Is there anyway to edit the rtconfig to get the Pan Knob to display, along with the volume knob, it the TCP's most minimized state? As it currently works, the pan only appears when the TCP is expanded and the volume becomes a slider.

Thanks for any help all!
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote