Old 06-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #1
Zed Freak
Human being with feelings

Default ISO Some decent declicker

Hi

I have an important question to those, who're specializing in remastering the old audios.
I am stuck on an audio done on analog tape that went into DAT copy. And from there some issues are introduced.
Some section of tape has very significant digital flaws, it all sounds as the tape has been transferred from splotchy / dirty CDR. I've been trying to recovering this section using Izotope's Declicker but without any success. More I went into the strength of processing, more distortion I got at the end except these flaws, which are still preserved as well.
Is there any other decent software capable to minimize these flaws at least partially?
I am aware that these kind of issues are not so easy to deal with but since I cannot trace the original master copy, this is all I got to work with.

Thx
Zed Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Freak View Post
Hi

I have an important question to those, who're specializing in remastering the old audios.
I am stuck on an audio done on analog tape that went into DAT copy. And from there some issues are introduced.
Some section of tape has very significant digital flaws, it all sounds as the tape has been transferred from splotchy / dirty CDR. I've been trying to recovering this section using Izotope's Declicker but without any success. More I went into the strength of processing, more distortion I got at the end except these flaws, which are still preserved as well.
Is there any other decent software capable to minimize these flaws at least partially?
I am aware that these kind of issues are not so easy to deal with but since I cannot trace the original master copy, this is all I got to work with.

Thx
Could you post a little section so I can be sure you are cracking the nut with the correct tool?
Old 06-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #3
Zed Freak

here you go: https://mega.nz/file/tNUyHCQR#g0TC_-...X5qabcfrfkbD00

This is the raw file with digital issued untouched.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
chmaha

Quote:
here you go: https://mega.nz/file/tNUyHCQR#g0TC_-...X5qabcfrfkbD00

This is the raw file with digital issued untouched.
Well, this might explain things. I don't think you want to be using a declicker for this as I don't consider these artifacts "clicks". I assume you are trying to use the declicker module within RX? I'd be doing manual spectral edits on the waveform for something like this. You essentially want to paint away the artifacts. Maybe tomorrow I could have a go cleaning this short sample up and letting you know what I did.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
Zed Freak

Yeah, it's exactly what I want to do with this section. Hope to learn more from you.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Zed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Well, this might explain things. I don't think you want to be using a declicker for this as I don't consider these artifacts "clicks". I assume you are trying to use the declicker module within RX? I'd be doing manual spectral edits on the waveform for something like this. You essentially want to paint away the artifacts. Maybe tomorrow I could have a go cleaning this short sample up and letting you know what I did.
Any news on this?
Old 06-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #7
chmaha

Quote:
Any news on this?
No, sorry. Time got the better of me today If you're lucky, I might have some time late this evening (UK time).
Old 06-18-2022, 12:23 AM   #8
Zed Freak

Any chances to hear this today?
Old 06-18-2022, 02:25 AM   #9
chmaha

The chances are about 0%. Sorry. A family member just came down with covid so I'm a little distracted.

I did have a brief look late last night but I can't even see the artifacts in the spectral view which tells me it might be quite hard to get rid of them. Having said that, someone else may have the golden ticket. I generally do broadband noise reduction and painting out things like pedal noises, chair squeaks and batons accidentally hitting a music stand for classical music productions
Old 06-18-2022, 02:31 AM   #10
Zed Freak

Sorry for hearing that.

I am also a bit sceptical if these flaws may be at least partially removed as they're more likely due to a bad CDR rip rather than casual clicks etc. that are quite easy to deal with.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:39 AM   #11
chmaha

Quote:
Sorry for hearing that.

I am also a bit sceptical if these flaws may be at least partially removed as they're more likely due to a bad CDR rip rather than casual clicks etc. that are quite easy to deal with.
It doesn't sound like an issue with CDR ripping. That process is quite robust. More likely something happened when going from analog to the DAT or from DAT to wherever next? That doesn't help you though, sorry.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:49 AM   #12
Zed Freak

I am just curious if this can be removed...as the DAT tape from where it is sourced has exact same issues.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:27 PM   #13
dug dog

Hey Zed:

I'm away from my studio so don't have access to the full functioning Izotope RX but I was able to make a significant improvement using the Elements version. I don't have the ability to upload a file to you, but give this a whirl:

I selected the frequency range from 1980 to 10500 Hz and applied the Declick module. Single band algorithm, Sensitivity 5.0 and Click width 0.

I didn't try to fine tune it any further but it's a good start and I was surprised by how well it worked. You could play with the sensitivity a bit on particular sections.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:38 PM   #14
Zed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Hey Zed:

I'm away from my studio so don't have access to the full functioning Izotope RX but I was able to make a significant improvement using the Elements version. I don't have the ability to upload a file to you, but give this a whirl:

I selected the frequency range from 1980 to 10500 Hz and applied the Declick module. Single band algorithm, Sensitivity 5.0 and Click width 0.

I didn't try to fine tune it any further but it's a good start and I was surprised by how well it worked. You could play with the sensitivity a bit on particular sections.
I am completely not aware of Elements, would you share some more info on this please?

In any case, I can send you the whole portion of that damaged part of recording so you can clean it up eventually...
Old 06-19-2022, 01:05 AM   #15
chmaha

Quote:
I am completely not aware of Elements, would you share some more info on this please?

In any case, I can send you the whole portion of that damaged part of recording so you can clean it up eventually...
I had a bit more time this morning:

https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/dd58...7-a8932611deb6

What do you think?
Old 06-19-2022, 01:14 AM   #16
chmaha

Actually, I prefer this one:

https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/b4b1...3-ad1edafb4ab6
Old 06-19-2022, 01:15 AM   #17
Zed Freak

It's much better, although these flaws are still pronounced.

Are you able to fix them all?
Old 06-19-2022, 01:18 AM   #18
chmaha

Quote:
It's much better, although these flaws are still pronounced.

Are you able to fix them all?
No, I don't think so. They seem very embedded into the audio. Maybe dug dog would have better luck.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:16 AM   #19
dug dog

Zed: If you have iZotope Declick, then you're probably using either iZotope RX or the stripped down, entry level version - iZotope RX Elements.

When the source audio is in bad shape, we sometimes have to settle for "much improved" rather than "perfect". Beth's stuff is definitely "much improved". Could it be better? Maybe.... I don't know... This type of restoration requires a lot of trial and error which usually means time and/or money. LOL. So, then it becomes a matter of priorities- How good is "good enough"? How important is this project? How much time, or money, do you want to spend on it?

If you use the settings that I suggested and run 3 separate passes, you MIGHT get a version that you prefer to Beth's, but I can't say for sure. Additional passes may or may not improve the quality, but there may be some unwanted degradation of other elements as well (maybe hi hats, ride cymbals, as an example).

If you have access to the "Decrackle" module, you could give that a try as well. Perhaps a combination of Decrackle and Declick.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #20
dug dog

Brief addendum: This probably goes without saying, but some sections of your file may require very little, or no processing at all.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #21
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
If you have access to the "Decrackle" module, you could give that a try as well. Perhaps a combination of Decrackle and Declick.
That's what I ended up with. I tried multiple passes but it did seem to degrade the musical part. If the full track has some silence at the beginning we might get even better results by reducing the broadband noise too.

However, my own brief addendum is that the OP should experiment and take time to learn the tools. It can be fun and give a real sense of satisfaction when you achieve it yourself. Obviously if you want me to treat the whole track it would only cost you $250/£200
Old 06-20-2022, 06:18 AM   #22
Zed Freak

Thank you so much for all your kind help, effort & recommendations.
I just picked up the Izotope RX Elements and it works fine!
This tool is probbaly the ultimate section for all of us who wants to repair the old audios.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #23
bjohn

Another similar and excellent tool is Acon Digital's Acoustica. It has many of the same/similar tools to Izotope RX, including spectral editing, and comes with a lot of useful plugins (including Verberate 2, a really good algo reverb), but is quite a bit cheaper than RX. I have both RX and Acoustica and usually go to Acoustica first because I like the interface and find it a bit more intuitive to use. Acon also sells a Restoration Suite, a set of four plugins designed for just the kind of work you are doing, but those are included in Acoustica and with Acoustica you get the spectral editor as well.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:55 AM   #24
nepenthe

Quote:
Hi

Thx
Hey I do a lot of audio restoration in RX. You can repair much of this using RX Advanced's Deconstruct module set to reduce transients. I use this all the time to clean up crackly noises such as beards rubbing against lav mics and such. A combination of declick / decrackle / deconstruct / spectral repair should be sufficient to reduce the noise to a much less distracting level. I'm not aware of other software with transient extraction capabilities similar to RX Advanced.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:23 AM   #25
Zed Freak

Just one more question regarding to the techniques disccused.
How to deal with some kind of a diginoise?
I did try to with Decrackle etc. but seems that nothing had happened and I simply couldn't find any clue of how to remove these issues at least partially.

https://mega.nz/file/UBNUVAQT#6yI5z0...VqQJTTWbANEvJc
Old 06-21-2022, 04:32 AM   #26
chmaha

Quote:
Just one more question regarding to the techniques disccused.
How to deal with some kind of a diginoise?
I did try to with Decrackle etc. but seems that nothing had happened and I simply couldn't find any clue of how to remove these issues at least partially.

https://mega.nz/file/UBNUVAQT#6yI5z0...VqQJTTWbANEvJc
I'm not sure what "diginoise" issues you are referring to in the above file. It's a live concert that sounds exactly as it should in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:41 AM   #27
Zed Freak

Those weird digital (or whatever it was) noises pronounced here and there, siunding very artificial.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:44 AM   #28
chmaha

Quote:
Those weird digital (or whatever it was) noises pronounced here and there, siunding very artificial.
Admittedly I'm only listening back casually but I honestly don't hear anything distracting. It's a lot of applause, wooping and talking that is clearly at a live event. My ears and brain find it natural. I don't hear anything artificial.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:46 AM   #29
Zed Freak

Try give to this a closer listen from 0:23 mark and onwards.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:53 AM   #30
chmaha

Quote:
Try give to this a closer listen from 0:23 mark and onwards.
That's something of nothing but you can remove with "de-wind" module, for example.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:57 AM   #31
Zed Freak

I've tried before and found it cannot be removed by De-wind procession.
It's more likely a some kind of noise produced but only one god knows of how to deal with it.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:02 AM   #32
chmaha

Quote:
I've tried before and found it cannot be removed by De-wind procession.
It's more likely a some kind of noise produced but only one god knows of how to deal with it.
I just completely removed it
Old 06-21-2022, 05:08 AM   #33
Zed Freak

Would you mind to share your settings?
Old 06-21-2022, 05:30 AM   #34
chmaha

Quote:
Would you mind to share your settings?
Default settings...
Old 06-21-2022, 05:32 AM   #35
Zed Freak

Did already. Nothing happened.
Guess it cannot be removed without disturbing the original audio.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #36
chmaha

But, I think it's worth repeating: it's a live concert track. These noises go with the whole feel and are subtle cues to make the listener feel they are there. I do a lot of classical recording and one of the best things someone told me was to sometimes just let everything "be". It provides a much more emotional experience than trying to cleanse every little blemish. Can you name a live concert that was ever blemish-free?
Old 06-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #37
chmaha

Quote:
Did already. Nothing happened.
Guess it cannot be removed without disturbing the original audio.
No, you said "de-crackle" did nothing. I'm talking about "de-wind". I was 100% successful
Old 06-21-2022, 05:37 AM   #38
Zed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
No, you said "de-crackle" did nothing. I'm talking about "de-wind". I was 100% successful
I did try with De-wind default settings, then I tried with multiple default cxonfigurations. Nothing.
Would you set up your configurations just to double check if we're dealing in exact same way please?
Old 06-21-2022, 05:37 AM   #39
chmaha

Quote:
I did try with De-wind default settings, then I tried with multiple default cxonfigurations. Nothing.
Would you set up your configurations just to double check if we're dealing in exact same way please?
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/c873...9-6df416663891
Old 06-21-2022, 05:41 AM   #40
Zed Freak

These noises are still pronounced so to me there's nothing fixed unfortunately.