Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-17-2022, 02:29 AM   #1
WaterWaterTasmania
Human being with feelings

Default How do you keep separate machines and hard drives backed up and in sync?

I work Reaper on projects between my MacBook Pro and Mac mini. Neither has enough hard drive space to hold my current projects (about 2TB) so I currently have two external hard drives (one for the MBP and one for the mini) which I sync using Chronosync. I then have the Mac mini external drive backed up to Dropbox so I can access the files on it anywhere if needed. I also have both machines backed up to Time machine and Backblaze.

My issue is that between the Dropbox sync and the sync via Chronosync, some files seem to go missing or duplicate unnecessarily as I’m obviously using two systems that don’t know one another are operating and aren’t designed to work together.

So I figure I’m not the first person to need to be able to access a bunch of projects on multiple computers and want them in the cloud as well. But I can’t find a good way to get this working reliably.

Any advice or shared experience would be greatly appreciated!
WaterWaterTasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:13 AM   #2
rckrebs

I used Dropbox Pro for off site storage for my business. I found Dropbox corrupted my data and also stored files in such a random way such that I could never retrieve them. I also found that Dropbox “support” didn’t exist.

I’m not sure if this is your issue but my personal experience is to not trust Dropbox with any valuable data.
rckrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
locombiano

I use GoodSync:

1. To sync files between my two computers.
2. To back up to an external hard drive.
locombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #4
semiquaver

Default Syncthing

Syncthing works like a charm and is **free** https://syncthing.net/
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #5
serr

rsync -a

Copies only the new or changed bits.
The normal drag/drop Finder copy will sort of do the same as prompted but nested folders will be copied over again. Why the hell isn't this a stock feature in the Finder, right?!

There are probably a few free apps that made a GUI for that command. Didn't we finally just get batch rename in the Finder a couple years ago? Small steps? I suppose Apple needs to put their time into the planned obsolescence stuff.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote