Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #1
Gillespie1983
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Showcasing MIDI Strings, Brass, and Woodwinds

This is first mix of an Orchestral work I wrote 6 years ago. Used Reaper 6.12 for the mix in July 2020.

I used Reaper's MIDI editor extensively to modify (and "draw in") the CCs, channel pressure, and mod wheel values of several instruments.

1. The work was written 1st in Finale.
2. Finale exports MIDI data: one instrument per MIDI channel.
3. Reaper imported the MIDI data flawlessly. Pow! Dozens of MIDI tracks appear.
4. Organized MIDI tracks by instrument groups: woodwinds, brass, strings, percussion. Each group got a master MIDI track--I added a multitrack FX to Garritan's Aria player which I loaded with the MIDI-to-audio sample instruments.
5. Used Reaper to generate output tracks for each MIDI track. Ran these tracks to Reverb tracks.
6. After editing the MIDI CCs, automating volume, mod wheel, etc parameters, I created STEM tracks by instrument group.
7. Created a jpg image track to include conductor's score in time sync with the music.
8. 1st master mix is posted on Youtube with jpg images of the score.

https://youtu.be/mnRyYOb1JHA?t=72

Samples from Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 and Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3 libraries.
Final talley 98 tracks.

Any professional criticisms or suggestions very welcome.

Last edited by Gillespie1983; 08-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Gillespie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
gandsnut

What a "barn-burner"... I'm quite impressed how much you got out of the Garritan. I use a similar approach to rendering from Finale thru Reaper. Though, I'm phasing out Finale 2014 for the current MuseScore.

Umm, FWIW, I am quite glad I did the Spitfire take-a-survey-then-get-a-free-orchestral-library thing. You might want to look into that if you want more/different sounds.

During the learning process for Spitfire, sequencing in Reaper (not something I do for serious music), I came up with a 2-minute experimentation. Find it, 4th audio player down, on http://www.gandsnut.net/2020/08/28/s...recent-pieces/

Best
Notation-based compositions using Finale. Electric bassist, K-12 school music teacher. iMac 3.5G i7 32Mb OSX 10.11 + PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, Korg, Roland, E-Mu, Alesis HW Synths, Novation Launchpad MINI MK3, Korg D1600 HW DAW. My free music - http://www.gandsnut.net
gandsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
kindafishy

Not a professional. Just thought this was really cool. It would be a perfect piece for some sort of animated short because it has this really sly, mischievous sort of vibe to it. The only bits that didn't rub me the right were was the cymbal swells. I thought it would be better without them (fwiw).
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:22 AM   #4
srkrishnan

Amazing writing!
srkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
41TWIN

i got lost reading your post between point 3 and 4. but that is a super interesting song and i respect your technical skill and knowledge.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote