Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-12-2022, 02:09 PM   #441
Remedial
Human being with feelings

Default Is there any way to map the touch strips to play notes?

Similar to how the Maschine Jam touchstrips can be used to play glissandos and things of that nature?

This may have already been discussed, but I did a search within the post and didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Remedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:04 PM   #442
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedial View Post
Is there any way to map the touch strips to play notes?
Similar to how the Maschine Jam touchstrips can be used to play glissandos and things of that nature?

This may have already been discussed, but I did a search within the post and didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Yes, you can. However, it is unrelated to ReaKontrol, and requires you to faff around a little bit with plugins. E.g. on the S-series keyboards the touchstrip outputs CC11 (values 0-127) as a default. You can assign whatever CC you want to the touchstrip via the Komplete Kontrol software (see NI manual) - I always keep it at the default.

In Reaper you can map that CC to something else. Let's say you want to map the CC11 (values 0-127) to notes with the same values to play a glissando: Pick a plugin like that converts/maps MIDI CC to a note value and you are all set. An excellent free plugin for these purposes is midiConverter3 from piz. But you could also work with built in stuff like JS Midi CC to Note On/Off. For fancy value conversions another great free plugin is talagan's JS MIDI CC Mapper X which allows you to edit MIDI response conversion curves, filtering etc. In short: Glissandos and "things of that nature" can all be done with a little elbow grease.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #443
Remedial

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Yes, you can. However, it is unrelated to ReaKontrol, and requires you to faff around a little bit with plugins. E.g. on the S-series keyboards the touchstrip outputs CC11 (values 0-127) as a default. You can assign whatever CC you want to the touchstrip via the Komplete Kontrol software (see NI manual) - I always keep it at the default.

In Reaper you can map that CC to something else. Let's say you want to map the CC11 (values 0-127) to notes with the same values to play a glissando: Pick a plugin like that converts/maps MIDI CC to a note value and you are all set. An excellent free plugin for these purposes is midiConverter3 from piz. But you could also work with built in stuff like JS Midi CC to Note On/Off. For fancy value conversions another great free plugin is talagan's JS MIDI CC Mapper X which allows you to edit MIDI response conversion curves, filtering etc. In short: Glissandos and "things of that nature" can all be done with a little elbow grease.
Thank you, brummbear. I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out.
Remedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:53 PM   #444
jadedsean

Default REAPAK

Hi, after installing this via Reapack it worked but, then it just stopped working. Any idea why this is happening.Thanks for making this btw.
jadedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #445
sebsteeno

Default ARM version

Hello

Just checking if a native ARM version of reakontrol is in the making? Any ETA? I will be so torn between native M1 and Rosetta (just for reakontrol).
Thanks!
sebsteeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #446
sebsteeno

Any updates?
Pretty please
sebsteeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:02 AM   #447
Jean Cremers

Default it works :)

Just got a brand new M32 and i'm posting just to say thank you, it works. Did not do a lot yet, i bought it mostly for the keyboard but i'm pretty pleased.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:25 AM   #448
Kyleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedsean View Post
Hi, after installing this via Reapack it worked but, then it just stopped working. Any idea why this is happening.Thanks for making this btw.
Yeah It broke weeks ago on Mac. It is very annoying I have no control over Complete Control. I'm about ready to switch over to Logic if this doesn't get fixed.
Kyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #449
sologigolos

I am new to ReaKontrol (and Reaper for MIDI in general) and on an M1 Mac and I was not able get it working via ReaPack regardless of Rosetta settings, though I saw no errors on install. Not knowing what "working" actually looked like, I wasn't sure what the problem was. For anyone else wondering what a working ReaKontrol looks like, a nice popup window informing you that ReaKontrol has been loaded will appear upon launching Reaper.

Eventually I found that there were no ReaKontrol dylib files where it seems they should be (~/Library/Application\ Support/REAPER/UserPlugins/).

I was able to build from source (https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ntrol_v110.zip) for both ARM and x86 using the instructions (https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol). For ARM, you just need to comment out "set(CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES x86_64)".

I now have both ARM and x86 versions loading properly depending on Rosetta settings just by having the dylibs like so:

ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/REAPER/UserPlugins
reaper_kontrol-x86_64.dylib
reaper_kontrol.dylib

Anyhow, thanks so much brummbear for making ReaKontrol available! Hopefully this helps someone...
sologigolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #450
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sologigolos View Post
I am new to ReaKontrol (and Reaper for MIDI in general) and on an M1 Mac and I was not able get it working via ReaPack regardless of Rosetta settings, though I saw no errors on install. Not knowing what "working" actually looked like, I wasn't sure what the problem was. For anyone else wondering what a working ReaKontrol looks like, a nice popup window informing you that ReaKontrol has been loaded will appear upon launching Reaper.

Eventually I found that there were no ReaKontrol dylib files where it seems they should be (~/Library/Application\ Support/REAPER/UserPlugins/).

I was able to build from source (https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ntrol_v110.zip) for both ARM and x86 using the instructions (https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol). For ARM, you just need to comment out "set(CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES x86_64)".

I now have both ARM and x86 versions loading properly depending on Rosetta settings just by having the dylibs like so:

reaper_kontrol.dylib

Anyhow, thanks so much brummbear for making ReaKontrol available! Hopefully this helps someone...
Glad you got it working and thanks for posting! Commenting out the x86 setting and compiling with Xcode in native ARM mode was exactly what I recommended to @sebsteeno in a private message earlier today. Since my code is not using any low level x86 specific features and Justin’s WDL should work on ARM too by now I was hopeful it would compile without a problem. Thanks for confirming!
Old 09-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #451
andrewx

Hi brummbear, thanks for the plugin! Is it possible to switch 4D encoder left/right and up/down behavior?
andrewx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #452
sitruc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleman View Post
Yeah It broke weeks ago on Mac. It is very annoying I have no control over Complete Control. I'm about ready to switch over to Logic if this doesn't get fixed.
Anyone else have this problem on Mac? I swear it was working for about 1/2 a day and now all I can get it to do is to control a plug-in of Komplete Kontrol. It was navigating tracks, muting, soloing, start, stop, etc. but all of those features no longer work. I've disabled the DAW function, I've disabled and re'enabled the keyboard and restarted several times. No fuctionality beyond the basic playing within a Komplete Kontrol instance.

BTW, If I have a plug-in instance of Kontakt, why doesn't it recognize it unless I open it within a Komplete Kontrol instance in Reaper?

Any ideas or options or opinions are greatly appreciated.
sitruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:01 AM   #453
Overlord25

The ReaKontrol driver is specifically designed to work with Komplete Kontrol so not sure why it would be expected to work with Kontakt outside of KK,

Also BrumBrum and and Jamie developed the driver to help the Reaper community, it's not funded or assisted by Native Instruments, in that respect they should not receive undue criticism if the driver fails to work as expected, it could be outside issues such as the OS being updated.
Overlord25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #454
sitruc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord25 View Post
The ReaKontrol driver is specifically designed to work with Komplete Kontrol so not sure why it would be expected to work with Kontakt outside of KK,

Also BrumBrum and and Jamie developed the driver to help the Reaper community, it's not funded or assisted by Native Instruments, in that respect they should not receive undue criticism if the driver fails to work as expected, it could be outside issues such as the OS being updated.
Many apologies if my post came across in any way as critical towards BrumBrum or Jamie. I'm more frustrated at myself why I can't figure it out and why it was working originally and not now. I truly appreciate any work that has been done to help all of us.

I understand that the driver was designed to work with Komplete Kontrol and it was my naivete that thought it might work with Kontakt as well. I'm new to the world of control surfaces/keyboards and just trying to make sense of it all. Thanks again!
sitruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:46 AM   #455
Tiramarth

Hello guys, I need some help to understand how to use ReaKontrol.

I bought a Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 keyboard, installed ReaKontrol, but it does nothing.

System:
Windows 10 (AMD ryzer)
ReaKontrol 1.10
Keyboard firmware is updated to 0.6.0
Reaper 6.53 (couldn't upgrade to the last 6.71 because it created issues with my projects)
Komplete kontrol - 1 enabled + control
Komplete Kontrol DAW (etc etc) disabled

"ReaKontrol: KK-Keyboard connected" correctly appears above reaper's transport controls
I can use the keyboard in the traditional midi mode, but controls don't work.
Mixer button doesn't light up.
If I create a couple of tracks with komplete kontrol instruments on it, nothing happens. If I turn off and then turn on the keyboard and re-enable it, then it shows up the last instrument with all the relative leds, but I can't move from there.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:
I also have a M32 connected (I usually use it like a standard midi keyboard) but when I disconnected that one, the S88 started to work properly and the mixer button lit up.
So two KK keyboards conflicts one with the other?

Last edited by Tiramarth; 12-09-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Tiramarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #456
carbon

So, what's the status with using Maschine Mikro MK3 and S61 MK2 keyboard together?

The keyboard seems to be working OK, Maschine doesn't seem to have any special features. Haven't encountered any problems yet though.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:49 PM   #457
Travesty

Hi, this plugin used to work fine, but now the auto instance detection seems to be broken.
It picks up the correct instance the first time, but if I click away onto another track and then back again, it doesn't pick up the instance.
I tried grabbing what I believe is the latest, v1.01, but it didn't help. Anyone else have this issue?
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:42 AM   #458
carbon

The custom actions seem to be not working, or I'm doing something wrong:

1. Entering the extended edit mode with shift + encoder press
2. Pressing button 1 (top horizontal row)
3. The button lights up, extended edit lights still blinking, otherwise nothing happens.

In the reakontrol.ini is one action present for the new track:
[reakontrol_actions]
action_0_id=40001
action_0_name=Insert Default Track
Old 01-15-2023, 03:33 AM   #459
dr_After

Hi!

First: thanks for a great script, ReaKontrol is awesome!

It would be great if my A49 would switch automatically to plugin mode when plugin GUI is focused. Now it stays in Track mode once empty track is in focus.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:02 PM   #460
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
So, what's the status with using Maschine Mikro MK3 and S61 MK2 keyboard together?

The keyboard seems to be working OK, Maschine doesn't seem to have any special features. Haven't encountered any problems yet though.
Cannot really comment on the Mikro Mk3 but I am using it all the time with the older Maschine Mikro Mk2 hardware (which btw fits very nicely on top of the empty space of the S88 Mk2 keyboard). I would assume that NI has not removed the great functionality between the keyboard and Maschine Mk2 for the Mk3.

As I describe in the manual Maschine and Komplete Kontrol coexist happily in a project and you can use the S series Keyboard to control both Komplete Kontrol VSTi as well as Maschine VSTi. ReaKontrol for its part does not change the built in support between the keyboard and Maschine which in my mind is pretty much perfect. Switching with the instance button. A very handy custom action for ReaKontrol is to add a Maschine folder track into your project - tips are in the manual.

Last edited by brummbear; 02-25-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #461
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
Hi!

First: thanks for a great script, ReaKontrol is awesome!

It would be great if my A49 would switch automatically to plugin mode when plugin GUI is focused. Now it stays in Track mode once empty track is in focus.
You can get this by automatically selecting the track of the focused FX. There are multiple ways to do that, see e.g.:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=253866
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...10#post2601710
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1830901

The manual has some additional hints regarding the settings for the FX window, however as far as I understand your situation would make one of the above solutions ideal.

EDIT:
The links above give you a variety of options. This is what I use (custom action eel script which can be toggled on/off). Works nicely - also with floating fx GUI windows:
Code:
function toggle()
(
    SetToggleCommandState(sec, cmd, state);
    RefreshToolbar2(sec, cmd);
);

function main() 
(
    touch = GetFocusedFX2(tracknum, itemnum, fxnum);
    touch == 1? (
      tr = GetTrack(0, tracknum - 1);
      tr !== tr_old ? (
        SetOnlyTrackSelected(tr);
        tr_old = tr;
      );
    ):(
      tr_old = -1;
    );
    state==1 ? defer("main();");
);

tr_old = -1;
get_action_context(#fn, sec, cmd);
state = GetToggleCommandStateEx(sec, cmd);
state<=0 ? state = 1: state = 0;
toggle();
main();
atexit("state = 0;toggle();")

Last edited by brummbear; 02-26-2023 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:59 PM   #462
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramarth View Post
EDIT:
I also have a M32 connected (I usually use it like a standard midi keyboard) but when I disconnected that one, the S88 started to work properly and the mixer button lit up.
So two KK keyboards conflicts one with the other?
Sorry, yeah - this is a well know problem unrelated to ReaKontrol. Even happens with NI's own DAW integrations. Somehow NI did not anticipate that people would buy and use two keyboards of their KK series simultaneously. Haha . The web is full of people complaining about this. I have the S88 and gave away my M32 because of that. There are some workarounds I saw on the web a long time ago, but never bothered to try them out. You might find something via googling. If I remember correctly the order in which you switch them on (and install them?) matters....
Old 03-22-2023, 01:59 AM   #463
7enz

is reaKontrol not compatible with the s88 Mk1??
tried everything to get it to work... but have not yet got it working with the s88 mk1
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:27 AM   #464
schnudiesounds

Default NI M32 on mac OS not recognized

Hi Folks, thank you so much for this awsome work. Unfortunately my NI M32 is not reconized at all, although a i've renamed the device in the Alias "KOMPLETE KONTROL M32 MIDI" and "Komplete Kontrol M DAW" on my mac OS 12.6.2. I've installed the script via ReaPack. On my WIN machine it works fine, but not on the mac. I use the Reaper Universal Version in Rosetta Mode. Is there anyone having the same issue and can come up with a solution. May i am blind, and have overseen something? This would be very helpful as the tool seems the holy grale for my purpose ;-). best, Sebastian
schnudiesounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:13 PM   #465
brummbear

Hi schnudisounds,

chances are that you are using an outdated version for Apple (<= V1.0). Since I only provide Windows binaries you should build your own Apple binaries (instructions on Github). As a bonus you will be able to create both the x86 version as well as the ARM version (if you do not want to use Rosetta). Reapack only host the ancient Apple binaries, not the latest ones which have a more robust way to find your device.

If you want to try something quick and dirty you can also do this: Rename it in the Alias as "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1". In the old Apple binaries this was the search string. If it works you still get 95% of the functionality. VST3 support will be missing however as it came later (V1.10).
Old 05-27-2023, 06:52 PM   #466
PurpleStar

Hey, just wondering, do you ever think it will be possible for you to update this with more Custom action buttons, say multiple banks for custom actions so you could have 16 or more?
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:37 AM   #467
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Hey, just wondering, do you ever think it will be possible for you to update this with more Custom action buttons, say multiple banks for custom actions so you could have 16 or more?
from a code perspective that is easy - I just won't have time for it in the foreseeable future. Maybe on a cold winter day...
Old 06-24-2023, 08:06 PM   #468
Skorobagatko

Quote:

reaper_kontrol.dylib

Hi! I’ve got it working on Windows easily in the past, now I have M1 Mac and can't make it work, could please help? I have no experience in building software.
Skorobagatko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:47 PM   #469
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Hi! I’ve got it working on Windows easily in the past, now I have M1 Mac and can't make it work, could please help? I have no experience in building software.
Maybe, someone with a Mac is willing to upload Apple binaries for x86 and ARM to Reaper Stash. @Terminar did that in the past and I linked his Apple x86 binary stored on Stash to Reapack. Since I do not have a Mac I can only provide the build instructions (everything is explained on my Github page) but no binaries - sorry.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:47 AM   #470
Skorobagatko

I’m having a crash after getting a "restart NIHostIntegrationAgent" message and closing the Reaper.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Reaper crash on M1.txt (54.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #471
vtsaran

Default Not so easy for me, for some reason!

Hi.
I was able to compile both ARM and X64 versions of the plugin and placed them as instructed.
I just got a new S88MK2 keyboard and am trying to use it with Reaper and ReaKontrol on Mac OS. I get no errors when starting Reaper but it also does not look like the plugin recognizes my keyboard (at least none of the keys seem to do anything and I do not get a dialog mentioned in the original post).
Any ideas as to what else I can check?
BTW, not sure if this is intended but Reapack does not actually install the plugin, only configuration example file. Is this how this supposed to work?

Thanks for any ideas!
Quote:

reaper_kontrol.dylib

Last edited by vtsaran; 07-09-2023 at 01:08 PM.
vtsaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:05 AM   #472
brummbear

Quote:
Any ideas as to what else I can check?
Did you check as per the manual:

Options>Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices: The Device “Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1” (S-series) or “Komplete Kontrol A DAW” (A/M-Series) or “Komplete Kontrol M DAW” (M-Series) must be disabled. Note: Do not assign a different alias name to the device or ReaKontrol will not detect the keyboard. The alias must contain the string “Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1” or “Komplete Kontrol A DAW” or “Komplete Kontrol M DAW”. Leave your normal Komplete Kontrol MIDI Device enabled.

Potentially Native Instruments has changed the name of the MIDI device lately on Apple computers? If need be you could simply alias the device name to "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" inside of Reaper (double click the device in the preferences menu and you can give it the correct name).

Quote:
BTW, not sure if this is intended but Reapack does not actually install the plugin, only configuration example file. Is this how this supposed to work?
The Reapack install package for Apple is outdated - sorry. Since I don't have a Mac I left it untouched since ages. If you follow the instructions on Github and the manual it should also work with any current machine.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:50 PM   #473
vtsaran

Default Resolved!

Hi.
Thanks for your quick response.
Turns out that I messed up during the compilation.
CLeaned up the CMake cache, rebuilt and everything is working as intended at this point!
Thank you!
Old 07-10-2023, 10:15 PM   #474
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsaran View Post
Hi.
Thanks for your quick response.
Turns out that I messed up during the compilation.
CLeaned up the CMake cache, rebuilt and everything is working as intended at this point!
Thank you!
Great, glad you got it working. It would be nice if you could upload the binaries to Stash. This would help other Mac users who are less familiar with building from source. When I find the time I can also update the ReaPack config for Mac with those binaries. Thanks and enjoy the plugin.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:35 PM   #475
vtsaran

Default DOne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Great, glad you got it working. It would be nice if you could upload the binaries to Stash. This would help other Mac users who are less familiar with building from source. When I find the time I can also update the ReaPack config for Mac with those binaries. Thanks and enjoy the plugin.
Done just that!
The page is at https://stash.reaper.fm/v/47019/reaK...4-binaries.zip
Old 07-23-2023, 12:12 AM   #476
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsaran View Post
It worked, thank you so much!
Old 08-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #477
Junolab

I just tried to hook up my new Komplete S88 MK2 to Reaper 6.81 (Intel Mac), but I need help to get through. I did use the binaries from the Stash, but it seems like nothing triggers as the reakontrol.ini doesn't get generated upon the first load. Is there any obvious I could be missing?
Junolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 02:15 PM   #478
MarkFromHawaii

Default Reaper Crashing on Project Close - New NI Komplete Kontrol M32 Keyboard

I just got a M32 keyboard midi controller. From what I can tell there may be some kind of problem with its software and Reaper. Most have reported a crash on Reaper startup. Something about Reakontrol.dll in conflict with Komplete Kontrol. My problem is Reaper crashes when I close the project. When I re-open Reaper, I go back to the same project. I tried disabling the plugins on all tracks with midi plugins and also disabled Komplete Kontrol M32 Midi input and output under Preferences. Is there a reliable fix that I may have missed? Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.19045
Reaper Ver. 6.81 win 64
MarkFromHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:10 PM   #479
MarkFromHawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromHawaii View Post
I just got a M32 keyboard midi controller. From what I can tell there may be some kind of problem with its software and Reaper. Most have reported a crash on Reaper startup. Something about Reakontrol.dll in conflict with Komplete Kontrol. My problem is Reaper crashes when I close the project. When I re-open Reaper, I go back to the same project. I tried disabling the plugins on all tracks with midi plugins and also disabled Komplete Kontrol M32 Midi input and output under Preferences. Is there a reliable fix that I may have missed? Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.19045
Reaper Ver. 6.81 win 64
Apparently the crashing is not caused by Komplete Kontrol. I took a deep breath and went into the project and saved it as a new test so I'll be able to recover work. I started removing tracks one by one and when I got to a track where I had Captain Plugins Beat Epic running, Reaper crashed as soon as I tried removing the track. Luckily for now I have a workaround. I have Reaper pinned to my task bar and I right click the icon which lists recent projects. I can select a stable project and open it and then open other projects from there. What a pain! I'll look into threads about Captain Plugin issues.
MarkFromHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #480
NickJA

I have a A25.
I can confirm that ReaKontrol always switches it to track mode when changing tracks, regardless of what is in it.
This is the same as what Jean-Pierre and MrQuarc mentioned previously in this thread.
NickJA is offline   Reply With Quote