Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-31-2022, 02:37 PM   #41
WeepingAngel
Human being with feelings

This is a stock iMac with no modifications. I use a program called “Local” that sets up a virtual environment for web design, but it’s not currently running.

Yes to all of your other questions.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:49 PM   #42
clepsydrae

Ah, right, given that this is the Reaper for Linux forum I interpreted your reference to an iMac as a separate machine, sorry. Anyway:

My best current guess is that you got hit by two bugs at once: it seems reaper is confused by the setup and thereby setting the wrong LAN IP address for accessing the web interface (192.* vs 10.*).

My best guess regarding the lack of access from the iPhone (despite using the correct LAN IP of 192.*) is that your wireless hub has a firewall on it. Some of these ISP-provided hubs are pretty locked down by default, and it might be preventing different devices on the LAN from talking to each other on non-standard ports. That's just a guess, but you said that the firewall on the iMac was disabled so I'm not sure what else would be blocking things.

So the next thing I'd try is to go into the settings for your (Spectrum, you said?) wireless box however you do that and figure out how to enable device-to-device communication. You might need to look into "gaming" related areas of the config (since gamers are a big user of device-to-device communication, sometimes they hide the options in those sections), but also "firewall" or "security" or "LAN options" might be the ticket, etc.

You might be able to enable it surgically ("allow these ports" or "allow these ports between these two specific LAN IPs") or you might only be able to enable it globally (lower "security level" or "disable firewall" types of choices)... the latter could conceivably introduce some amount of "risk" but you can consider your options as they come (or ask here.)

I'm going to post something about the IP determination in the bug forum just in case that is indeed a bug.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #43
WeepingAngel

Thanks for the reply!

Spectrum has port forwarding, but I didn't want to mess with that, as I only have very basic network knowlege.

This may change everything. Last night I decided to format, which is something I've been meaning to do for the past few months.

With a fresh install of Reaper and NOTHING else installed, I'm still getting the error (bug) only when choosing "apply" and "ok." Before I did anything else, I thought you might want to take a look with a fresh install.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:13 AM   #44
Glennbo

Without knowing the network gear being used, a couple of things come to my mind. Are separate routers and cable modems being used?

If so, turn off the modem, leave the router running, and reboot. Then see what IP address REAPER displays.

If it's a combined router and modem in the same package, maybe unplug the cable connection and reboot both the router and computer so that neither can get an IP address from the carrier.

Third idea, and I know nothing about Macs, but on most OSs you can force a static IP address rather than acquiring one from a DHCP server.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:12 AM   #45
WeepingAngel

Thanks for the reply.

That's something worth checking out as my router is separate from my modem, but I just moved from one state to another, completely different ISP's and network setups, with the exact same issue.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:13 AM   #46
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
Spectrum has port forwarding, but I didn't want to mess with that, as I only have very basic network knowlege.
Yeah that relates to devices on the internet talking to the stuff inside your LAN, which is not what we're trying to establish. However it's possible that the settings you seek are somewhere in there anyway... it's also possible that this is a wild goose chase, but it's my best current guess. Presumably they don't lock the router down entirely, otherwise people wouldn't be able to print to the network printers, etc, but they might not allow port 8080 by default. It might be something where you need to talk to a support person at Spectrum... you would ask something like "I have software on my laptop that has a web server listening on port 8080 and I want devices on the LAN to be able to access it. Is the router blocking this communication? If so, how do I enable it?"

It's also possible that the issue is on your iMac... you said you turned the firewall off, which should rule that out, but I'm not a mac person so maybe there is some other thing blocking... I'm just spitballing here... but since you can access the web interface from the iMac itself using the IP/port combo, it implies that something is standing between the iPhone and the iMac on the network, and the only things between those devices are the Spectrum router and the iMac itself. I guess theoretically the iPhone could also be blocking it for some reason... you could try a different device (say, an Android device) using the correct IP/port URL to rule that out.

Quote:
With a fresh install of Reaper and NOTHING else installed, I'm still getting the error (bug) only when choosing "apply" and "ok." Before I did anything else, I thought you might want to take a look with a fresh install.
Unless you are saying that you can now access the reaper web interface with your iPhone, I don't think this changes anything, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Without knowing the network gear being used, a couple of things come to my mind. Are separate routers and cable modems being used?
My posts may have led you astray because I was confused -- OP has an iMac connecting wirelessly to the same SSID as the iPhone.

Also, OP: home routers are notoriously garbage, and sometimes a reboot will fix things that shouldn't be broken in the first place. You might try rebooting things just as a shot in the dark (note that your LAN IP might change when this happens.)

Glennbo also raises a good question: I've been assuming you just have a Spectrum-supplied combo modem/wireless-AP plugged into the wall... do you have any kind of separate box, or just that? If you have a separate wireless box then we should be looking there for firewalls, etc.

On another note, Justin (reaper dev) asked me about what rc.reaper.fm was returning, so it'd be good to try this curl thing again. After setting up the web interface with rc.reaper.fm using "test" and applying, "Ok", closing the dialog, etc, try running this in a terminal:

Code:
bash -c "curl -v http://rc.reaper.fm/test/ 2>&1 | grep Location"
And for completeness please post the results of:
Code:
ifconfig | grep utun
Old 06-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #47
clepsydrae

D'oh, just saw your post: yes let's get into the config for the router. Judging from your LAN IP the access might be:

https://192.168.1.1

...and you may need a login/password to access the setup. If you don't already know what it is (and it might be different from the PW for your wireless SSID) you can look on the physical router itself for login/PW info.

...but please still do the rc.reaper.fm debug stuff I put in the last post.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #48
WeepingAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
D'oh, just saw your post: yes let's get into the config for the router. Judging from your LAN IP the access might be:

https://192.168.1.1

...and you may need a login/password to access the setup. If you don't already know what it is (and it might be different from the PW for your wireless SSID) you can look on the physical router itself for login/PW info.

...but please still do the rc.reaper.fm debug stuff I put in the last post.
So I don't know what changed, but I tried again and I still got the error, but it pulled a "192" IP address and I can access from ALL of my devices. The ONLY thing I did different was set a username and password.

I'm stoked that it's working, but would love to know what changed.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #49
clepsydrae

Glad it's working now.

If you could please set a web interface up (without password) using rc.reaper.fm and run those two commands previously listed, that would be helpful for fixing that 10.x potential-bug we found earlier, thanks.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #50
WeepingAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Glad it's working now.

If you could please set a web interface up (without password) using rc.reaper.fm and run those two commands previously listed, that would be helpful for fixing that 10.x potential-bug we found earlier, thanks.
Absolutely! I should have some time later this afternoon. I just hope removing the username and password doesn't mess something up again. I'm almost afraid to touch it! LOL!!
Old 06-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #51
clepsydrae

Understandable. :-)
Old 06-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #52
clepsydrae

Did you have some time to try this, perhaps?