Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default Changing over to macOS from Windows - tips?

About to get my mac mini M1, and I want to change all my audio work over to MAC. I'll keep the NUC for gaming and internet stuff.

So, are there any tips or "gotchas" I need to be concerned about?

Will all my existing projects open in Reaper MAC?

Any conversion work I need to do beforehand?

Thanks
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Kewl

It all comes down to plug-ins, really.

Are your usual plug-ins available on macOS? If yes, are they Intel-only or have they an Apple Silicon (ARM/M1) version? Probably you will have to run Reaper with Rosetta for awhile until all your plug-ins catch up and are available for Apple Silicon.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
It all comes down to plug-ins, really.

Are your usual plug-ins available on macOS? If yes, are they Intel-only or have they an Apple Silicon (ARM/M1) version? Probably you will have to run Reaper with Rosetta for awhile until all your plug-ins catch up and are available for Apple Silicon.
Cool, Kewl (hahaha) just had to do that, sorry

Yeah afaik all the plugs I use all have AU versions, the Intel/M1 question I don't know about, but they are all majors in the plugin world so I am hoping from that side of things it will be sweet!

Just started researching those in relation to M1 - for the record Sampletank4, Neo-Soul Keys, Pianoteq, Hammond B-3X plus a slew of IK efx. I'm pretty sure Addictive Drums won't, they do not even have a VST 3 version (apparently no intention of making one either!) O I might even invest in Modo Drum if it is M1 ready. But that's about it...anything else I can use what's in Mainstage I guess (yet to buy)

Last edited by pax-eterna; 02-28-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:38 AM   #4
FapFilter

Switched recently.
Projects work fine, despite plugins having different locations

Custom keyboard shortcuts transfer might work, but i opted for making new ones from scratch in fear some incompatibilities might break something, but they are now tailored for the slightly different keyboard layouts (no numerical pad for instance) and i'm liking them even better than those i did first on my old system.

I've however forgotten how unnecessarily painful transferring my own synth & effects presets are, as most developers are hiding! their preset folders all over the place.

Personally wouldn't bother with AU unless you want to go Logic as it has some restrictions over VST as far as i'm aware
FapFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FapFilter View Post
Switched recently.
Projects work fine, despite plugins having different locations

Custom keyboard shortcuts transfer might work, but i opted for making new ones from scratch in fear some incompatibilities might break something, but they are now tailored for the slightly different keyboard layouts (no numerical pad for instance) and i'm liking them even better than those i did first on my old system.

I've however forgotten how unnecessarily painful transferring my own synth & effects presets are, as most developers are hiding! their preset folders all over the place.

Personally wouldn't bother with AU unless you want to go Logic as it has some restrictions over VST as far as i'm aware

Thanks - you say do not bother with AU, just curious, is your mini an intel or M1 unit? I was told M1's will use Rosetta for VST's. And while not realy an issue I am trying to avoid using "wrapping" software no matter how efficient.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
FapFilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Thanks - you say do not bother with AU, just curious, is your mini an intel or M1 unit? I was told M1's will use Rosetta for VST's. And while not realy an issue I am trying to avoid using "wrapping" software no matter how efficient.
Macbook M1 Pro.
Wrapped is only stuff, that hasn‘t been (re)compiled to ARM yet, so basically everything Intel code.
Doesn‘t matter wether it‘s AU or VST.
Native (again regardless of format) won‘t require Rosetta

Last edited by FapFilter; 03-01-2022 at 08:17 AM.
FapFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #7
shanabit

I have always used VST versions of plugins here as the AU would give me issues in the past
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #8
strat1376

I use vst3 whenever possible on my mac M1 mini and have zero issues. If vst3 isnt available i use vst. I tried using AU versions and had several issues usually specific the the plugin. No idea why exactly but thats just how it worked out for me. Most manufacturers have finally caught up with M1 support, even softube came around recently
strat1376 is offline   Reply With Quote