Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #401
Flix
Human being with feelings

I just got hold of a Faderport and I'm so pleased with how easy it is to set up and use in Reaper - thank you everyone who's worked on this project!

I really prefer to have all my changes visible on-screen, which means I like to have the FX UI open when I'm making changes e.g. with FX mode. However, FX mode doesn't interact with the UI much at all - meaning I have to:

1. Open the UI for the FX I want to control
2. Select the same FX again on the Faderport in FX mode
3. Click the parameter I want to edit (and Faderport will pick this up automatically, but only if I've done step 2)

Step 2 feels redundant in an ideal world. It would be great if either:

* Faderport's FX mode automatically selected the currently-selected FX (effectively making step 2 happen automatically as part of step 1)
* Faderport's automatic detection of clicked FX parameter could work even if a different FX plugin is selected currently (effectively making step 2 happen automatically as part of step 3)

Is anyone actively developing this driver still? Would the above be easy to do? (Or am I missing something and in fact it's already possible?)
Flix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:40 AM   #402
bernardg

Default Thanks

Many thanks for this. Just got a Faderport classic second hand and have got the basics working thanks to you. I'll investigate the more detailed stuff that everyone raves about later.
Best wishes. Bernard.
bernardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #403
Flix

A quick note about automating sends with Faderport, since several posters here have asked about it but I don't think anyone's posted a solution.

It seems like it's not possible directly (with the current driver) but I think there's a workaround for it, which is to:
* create a new track to represent your send
* send from your origin track to this new track (0db post-fader)
* send from this new track to your destination track (0db post-fader)
... as shown in this tutorial by Kenny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwfqrpmzPFI

That way, your new track basically acts the same way a normal send would, but it's also a complete track and so its volume (including automation) can be adjusted with the Faderport. (It does mean you clutter up the project with extra tracks, so you might not want to do it for everything - but for one or two key sends it might be worth it.)

Hope that helps someone!
Old 10-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #404
Lucian

Hello All,
I am trying to resurrect my Faderport classic. I had it working close to 10 years ago so I think the firmware is ok. The dll and ini are in the correct locations and Presonus FaderPort XT is selected in reaper prefs under Control/OSC/web but I get no response with the unit so I am missing something. I did try to check on the presonus website but they now have just a Universal Control App that has a long list of items it can install. I am uninstalling it now to see if that helps.

No difference.
The Output and Stop lights are lit. If I use my mouse and click on play, the light changes on the faderport so it sees manually toggling back and forth from play to stop. Maybe I do need a firmware update but cannot find it as Presonus just has a big catchall app available now.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #405
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Hello All,
I am trying to resurrect my Faderport classic. I had it working close to 10 years ago so I think the firmware is ok. The dll and ini are in the correct locations and Presonus FaderPort XT is selected in reaper prefs under Control/OSC/web but I get no response with the unit so I am missing something. I did try to check on the presonus website but they now have just a Universal Control App that has a long list of items it can install. I am uninstalling it now to see if that helps.

No difference.
The Output and Stop lights are lit. If I use my mouse and click on play, the light changes on the faderport so it sees manually toggling back and forth from play to stop. Maybe I do need a firmware update but cannot find it as Presonus just has a big catchall app available now.
Just the sanity check that you don't have FP enabled in MIDI devices and do only have it enabled in Control/OSC/web.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #406
Lucian

Hi Karbo! Thank you for your ingenious work on this and continued support.

Under Audio/MIDI Devices, Faderport is listed in both input and output panes
Mode: <disabled> ID: 11

C:\Users\Lucian\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\reaper_csur f_fpxt.ini

C:\Users\Lucian\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins \reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll

Last edited by Lucian; 10-22-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More info
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #407
karbomusic

Cool.... those should be disabled in MIDI so good. So this is the version picked up where I left off and noticed this in the instructions..

=================
Locate the Reaper Resource Directory. You can find it by starting Reaper and clicking Options > Show Reaper Resource Path in explorer/finder.
Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to the Resource folder.
Copy the reaper_csurf_fpxt library file (dll for windows; dylib for mac) to the UserPlugins folder. If it doesn’t exist, create it.

Restart Reaper.
Go to Options > Preferences > Control Surfaces and select Faderport XT
Choose PreSonus - Faderport for both MIDI In & Out devices.
Click OK twice.
=================

I'm assuming that first bolded one means put the ini in the root of the resource folder and the dll in the UserPlugins folder? Might try that and putting ini into the same folder as the DLL since being in the wrong and right place won't break anything.

When you restart reaper does FPXT still show up in control surfaces? If reaper is picking up the DLL it should work.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #408
karbomusic

Oh yea... as far as firmware I think 1.3.5 was busted - 1.3.8 fixed whatever was busted, I have a copy of 1.3.8 that I saved just incase so PM me if you need it. However, if it worked before and you haven't updated firmware not 100% sure that's the issue.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #409
Lucian

Moved the ini into the userplugs folder and restarted Reaper. Still only follows play and stop buttons when clicked with mouse. It sees the faderport tho:

I deal with problems like this at work all day so no worries, I will play around with it.

Edit: Just for laughs I am going to go backwards to your version and see if that sheds any light on my problem. I have moved hard drives as I upgrade machines so maybe I have some artifacts from this that need deleting as I am not sure whose faderport code I was using back then.

Odd, I got your version working. It writes automation but motor won't follow on playback.

More info: I am guessing the firmware update, which can't find the faderport when in update mode, is due to me only having usb 3.0 ports. Could also be why the motor isn't working. I should have a USB 2.0 hub tomorrow so I can experiment further.

Finally got it working. The usb2.0 hub was useless, hooked the faderport up to a different computer with usb 2.0 ports and was able to upgrade the firmware to 1.3.8 and now with the faderport plugged back into my DAW, everything is working.
Attached Images
File Type: png faderport.PNG (2.1 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by Lucian; 10-23-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:19 AM   #410
RominRonin

Hi, I just wanted to thank everyone who has worked on this driver and its previous iterations. This tool has significantly changed my interaction with Reaper and particularly with automation. That would not be possible without your efforts. I hope you understand how appreciated that work was/is.

All the best.
RominRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:43 AM   #411
Ideosound

Hi,

Is there a way to change what the main fader on the faderport can control?
Obviously currently the physical fader sends MIDI Chan 1 CC 32 and controls track faders as the normal default behaviour.

I want to try to link my fader to control the channel gain on a plugin that would be on every channel. Is this possible?

Thanks
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #412
dagovitsj

Default Weird spikes in touch mode?

Hi, first of all - a big thanks for making my Faderport so useful!
I've got it to work in latch mode, but the touch mode is really weird - or more precicely: It gives me weird spikes. I have tried to find info about it in the Reaper forum (Facebook) and in the manual, but I'm stucked.

Please have a look at the screenshot attached.

All the best
| Win 10 - 64bit | Reaper 5.x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:32 GB | CPU: Intel Core i7 3,3 GHz | Samsung SSD 860 (1 TB) | Western Digital Black harddisks | Graphics Card: Gigabyte 9800 GT Silent Cell | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |
dagovitsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #413
frank_lymm

Hey guys ! First of all, thank you so much for your work here...

I used this feature with my Faderport classic and everything was just fine.
Now i bought a Faderport V2 and the XT is not working anymore.

Does Faderport XT work with the Faderport V2 ?

Thanks !
Greetings from Austria !
frank_lymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #414
tompad

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_lymm View Post
Hey guys ! First of all, thank you so much for your work here...

I used this feature with my Faderport classic and everything was just fine.
Now i bought a Faderport V2 and the XT is not working anymore.

Does Faderport XT work with the Faderport V2 ?

Thanks !
Greetings from Austria !
I dont think it works for the new Faderport V2....
Old 02-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #415
Cathartic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
I dont think it works for the new Faderport V2....
Same here. I was not able to find a way to get the Faderport V2 to work with XT. Right now I am experimenting with CSI.
Cathartic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #416
tompad

ReaLearn is something to test also, has happened a LOT with that since the start. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=178015
Old 08-10-2021, 11:14 PM   #417
willpadgett

Has anyone gotten their Faderport v1 to work with motors again? Mine's been nonfunctional for a few months, I think since installing that fancy enhanced pan pot driver...now I can't figure out which driver I had or how to install it. Or maybe factory reset the faderport?
willpadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:23 AM   #418
Flix

I haven't ever had any problems with the motor. Is your unit powered correctly? Most functions work with just USB power but the motor needs the external power supply.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #419
willpadgett

Whoa...I just unplugged/replugged the power pin and the wall wart, and the motor is working again. LOL. Here I was convinced it was a software problem. Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #420
Flix

No problem! Glad I could help
Old 08-15-2021, 05:54 PM   #421
willpadgett

Since I'm 1 for 1 on great solutions in this thread...

Has anyone truly figured out how to make "Select next/previous track" actions update control surfaces? I really wish I could use my keyboard's arrow keys in combination with the faderport so I could mix with both hands more quickly. Right now, I have to click on a track for the faderport to understand that's the track in focus. Or, use the arrow keys on the faderport, which is very clunky and slow.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #422
Flix

Will, sorry, I only just saw your last post. However, I'm not sure I can help - my Faderport responds as I'd expect when I use the actions to select next / previous track. Its fader jumps to the volume value for the newly-selected track.

I guess you've checked that you're using the most up-to-date driver for the Faderport, from the first post in this thread. Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry
Old 10-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #423
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpadgett View Post
Since I'm 1 for 1 on great solutions in this thread...

Has anyone truly figured out how to make "Select next/previous track" actions update control surfaces? I really wish I could use my keyboard's arrow keys in combination with the faderport so I could mix with both hands more quickly. Right now, I have to click on a track for the faderport to understand that's the track in focus. Or, use the arrow keys on the faderport, which is very clunky and slow.
I've just looked into this as this would be useful, rather than use select next /previous track actions assigned to your keyboard, use:

Track: Go to next track
Track: Go to previous track

This updates the faderport without having to click on the track again...
Old 10-14-2021, 06:28 AM   #424
Flix

Oh wow I didn't even realise there was a difference between those actions! I'm going to check my set-up and see which I'm using. Good spot, Ideosound
Old 12-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #425
Vitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Oh yea... as far as firmware I think 1.3.5 was busted - 1.3.8 fixed whatever was busted, I have a copy of 1.3.8 that I saved just incase so PM me if you need it. However, if it worked before and you haven't updated firmware not 100% sure that's the issue.
Hi, please share the update update firmware 1.3.8.
Vitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #426
Jukebox John

Default Works for Faderport classic, too

Thank you, The Nimaj, whoever you are. Your solution for Faderport XT also works with Faderport Classic.
Jukebox John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:17 AM   #427
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flix View Post
Oh wow I didn't even realise there was a difference between those actions! I'm going to check my set-up and see which I'm using. Good spot, Ideosound
Another tip I've just thought of is if you change your reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini file, to add this section:

ACTION_CH_PREV=40286
ACTION_CH_PREV_SHIFT=
ACTION_BANK=
ACTION_BANK_SHIFT=
ACTION_CH_NEXT=40285
ACTION_CH_NEXT_SHIFT=

Then it means your channel prev and next buttons on the fader port will run those actions (40285 go to next track / 40286 go to previous track) rather than the defaults. These actions are better as they retain the channel focus/selection properly. That means you can change the channel without Reaper even being in focus, in the background (when using another app like a sound effect manager) and drop sounds on to a different channel.

The default behaviour would change the channel but if you ran a function like 'spot to audio' track from another app, the audio file would import on to the previous channel selected rather than the new one. So the old behaviour looked like the button had moved channel but in fact if you imported an audio file it wouldn't land on this newly selected channel which was really annoying. phew!
Old 03-22-2022, 03:55 AM   #428
BartR

For who ,like me, needs also to activate the UNDO/REDO, into the INI file:

ACTION_UNDO=40029

for the REDO:

ACTION_UNDO_SHIFT=40030
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #429
gprok

Default faderport classic

UPDATE----I found the right pref and it's now working

I have tried everything in here and still NO faderport, I can't find the option---control surface-----I think it's simply gone from the new version unless I am doing something really wrong....

Gprok

Last edited by gprok; 04-07-2022 at 12:09 PM.
gprok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #430
eventcloak

I've recently switched over from an old Macbook Pro to an M1 Mac Mini and finally got around to installing Faderport XT today. Unfortunately it looks like it works with Reaper running in Rosetta mode but not natively. Am I doing something wrong or is this unfortunately to be expected?
eventcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:19 PM   #431
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventcloak View Post
I've recently switched over from an old Macbook Pro to an M1 Mac Mini and finally got around to installing Faderport XT today. Unfortunately it looks like it works with Reaper running in Rosetta mode but not natively. Am I doing something wrong or is this unfortunately to be expected?
I hadn't thought of that as still on an Intel Mac but at some point will likely switch to Apple's chips. Would be great if the driver was updated but I guess this is unlikely which is a real shame. Maybe people could crowdfund it if the Dev was interested.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #432
Junolab

I'll also happily donate for someone to recode this for M1/M2 Macs. Still on Intel but not fir much longer.

Does anyone know how I can make sure the Rec works to arm a track? It seems its only un-arming but doesn't re-arm it
Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:46 PM   #433
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junolab View Post
I'll also happily donate for someone to recode this for M1/M2 Macs. Still on Intel but not fir much longer.

Does anyone know how I can make sure the Rec works to arm a track? It seems its only un-arming but doesn't re-arm it
M1 support would be welcomed, maybe a crowdfunder could help if someone was up for coding it. More of us will move away from Intel in time.

Try replacing this code in your reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini file:

ACTION_REC_ARM=_ADD ACTION ID HERE

I made a custom action that will trigger:
Track: Unarm all tracks for recording
Track: Toggle record arm for selected tracks
Old 08-10-2022, 12:56 AM   #434
A.jenkins

Default Need help with custom firmware

On custom firmware, pressing and holding shift+bank at the same time does nothing, and the controller does not go into fx mode to control effects parameters. The ini file contains all the necessary settings. Who knows what could be the problem? Can anyone come across?

Last edited by A.jenkins; 08-10-2022 at 03:59 AM.
A.jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #435
MikeKravets

Hi there!
Any thoughts about the lack of edit sends by fader ? Working around this by using an empty channel is doable, but it looks like it's the only thing missing. Otherwise you have a perfect DAW controller at your fingertips. By the way, Faderport Classic works even better in Reaper, than in Studio One, lol)
Regards !
MikeKravets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #436
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKravets View Post
Hi there!
Any thoughts about the lack of edit sends by fader ? Working around this by using an empty channel is doable, but it looks like it's the only thing missing. Otherwise you have a perfect DAW controller at your fingertips. By the way, Faderport Classic works even better in Reaper, than in Studio One, lol)
Regards !
edit sends? With the fadeport 1 ? I don't see any key to edit them ... I have it here right in front of me.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #437
MikeKravets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
edit sends? With the fadeport 1 ? I don't see any key to edit them ... I have it here right in front of me.
Yes, it is still impossible to do. Only if you make empty channel in between, say from voc track to room fx bus. But I don't like this workaround. Bought Faderport 1 again, my previous worked for about 8 years, fader is broken now. Awesome driver, but only this feature is missing, imo.
By the way, recently I made comparison, thought to use LBX Smart Knobs 2 with Behringer X-Touch, but found few buggy things, and biggest issue is faders noise:
https://youtu.be/WYdwAKmu-fU

Definitely not for studio. Maybe Icon Platform M+, or Faderport 8, if you want something small, yet comfortable, and 8 faders.

Overall, I'm happy for now with Reaper, Faderport 1 ad XT driver
MikeKravets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:12 AM   #438
Bulls Hit

Hey guys.

Has anyone encountered an issue (or better yet a fix) on Faderport Classic where it will spontaneously increase random track volumes by 2.5db?

Weirdly Reaper doesn't seem to recognise the edit, as Undo has no effect
Bulls Hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #439
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
Hey guys.

Has anyone encountered an issue (or better yet a fix) on Faderport Classic where it will spontaneously increase random track volumes by 2.5db?

Weirdly Reaper doesn't seem to recognise the edit, as Undo has no effect
Not come across this
Old 04-02-2023, 11:50 PM   #440
Judders

Nope, not encountered that.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote