Old 01-13-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
kennethhsv
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI playing live

I'd been using Reaper in the past for recording live instruments, but this is the first I've plugged up a midi input device to play live. I'm getting a lag/delay between playing the keys and hearing the sounds.

I'm using a Windows 10 machine less than one year old, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 w/ its built in ASIO drivers, and an Alesis QX49 MIDI keyboard.

I've gone to Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Device -> ASIO Configuration in order to adjust the buffering. I can adjust the buffering size anywhere from 16 or 1024 and the latency in the upper right hand corner of the main screen does change (buffer size of 16 = 1.9 ms latency) but the delay between playing the keys and hearing the notes in the speaker persists.

I played around with the "Anticipative FX processing" in Audio -> Buffering, to no avail.

It seems as if I have reduced the latency on paper, but in reality, the delay between playing and hearing is unworkable. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
kennethhsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
cfillion

Are you using plugins with latency?
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
kennethhsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Are you using plugins with latency?
I am using whatever included VSTi's there are. I think it was ReaSelectomatic3000 or something like that. However, only a basic piano sound comes out.
kennethhsv is offline   Reply With Quote