Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #41
godly
Human being with feelings

I submitted a bug report on the forum here.

Anybody intrested in the settings?
I want to share my files, but which ones would you need to have all the above settings?
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #42
godly

Ok, I've found the prob.

Regarding the snapshots not keeping their positions:
Seems that the x64 version is bridging the windows, so they don't keep their positions on screen.
I switchd back to x86 (just overwrote my reaper files) and all works fine again !

Me happy, because I have a concert tomorrow and was worrying crazy !

I updated the tutorial.

Last edited by godly; 08-11-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #43
godly

On general request,

Here's the complete Reaper 4.71 x86 download file with my project, if it can be of any educational help: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6I...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #44
godly

I've used the setup now for several concerts and on the rehearsals and it seems fast enough and stable. Only thing you don't want to do is switch quickly from one to another LC preset, because that slows up everything. But luckily doesn't crash Reaper.

Just take your time when you select a preloaded LC preset.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #45
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by otofo View Post
1. I was hoping to use the row of buttons below the sliders (labeled c18-c25) to switch sound patches, much like on more traditional electronic keyboards. i.e., be able to press a button for my piano VST, and press another in the middle of a song to switch to my synth lead VST, etc. Some VSTs evidently have these buttons already pre-programmed to control settings in the VST. In the "Actions" window I was able to map the buttons to recall my various snapshots, but in certain VSTs the buttons revert to controlling settings within the VST instead of my desired reult of recalling another snapshot. Is there a way to override these? Temporarily I am using the six transport buttons to switch my sounds but was hoping to be able to program more than six presets.
Try using the Preload LC on a absolute rotary (0-128?)
and assign a button to Load/Swap the LC preset? (you can also use next / previous assignations from the keymaps menu.

Quote:
2. The VST image displays onscreen when switching to that VST (recalling that snapshot) but does not remove itself when switching to another snapshot. They end up piling up on the screen, one on top of the other, requiring me to manually shuffle thrue these with the mouse to display the current one. Is there a way to have the VST display remove itself from the screen when switching to another?
Yes, see the tutorial. You need to hide them in the bottom of your screen.
Or maybe you're on x64, worried me also like crazy and I found it it was because of the bridged VSTs, see some posts earlier here.

Quote:
3. Sometimes, when switching sounds (recalling another snapshot) an unrequested note will play. I have to hit the panic button to turn it off. Still trying to find out if there is a pattern to this that might point to a possible cause.
Yes, I encountered it also. Don't know why, and the setting to reset All notes of is active in the LC window.

Quote:
I am using Reaper v4.62 with my M-Audio Oxygen 61 controller to control 10-12 VSTs in live performance situations. Not using it for recording, composing, sequencing, etc. (Yet!)
Let me know how it works for you
Old 03-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #46
godly

ANybody knows how I can export my settings for LC?
Old 04-12-2015, 02:57 AM   #47
M4dM4tt

Default Different Approach

Hey fellow reaperians!

i just wanted to share how i am running reaper as guitar stomp box amp sim and fx mixing engine. it works like a charme for me except the fact that we have no big display to see where we are in the song (presets).

here's my setup:
1.just add and route anything you need like you would for a production (cut a bit on the fx maybe if you dont own a powerhorse of a laptop for the stage)
try to use as few different effects (for example delays) as possible. rather alter your favorite one through automation or an additional effect after it (bit crusher flanger over the delay or whatever)if you need a special effect.

2.set a tempo marker at the beginning of the song and create a region.
name the region after the song (or after the preset if you want) color the region! so it stands out a bit.
create markers at every spot you have automation changes (only square automation makes sense if you dont play back during performance)
name the markers as presets (if you didnt do that with the regions already

3. use actions like "go to next/previous marker" or "select next/previous region" followed by "go to start of loop"
add the desired midicontrols to your actions (i'm on a fcb1010 and for example use another action to control the master volume)
__________________________________________________ _______
thats the setup i'm goin for right now using the same amp and fx over several songs all in one project.
i started today with that

before, i was using guitar rig in reaper but for each song a different project instead of regions (you can open them one after the other(must be done by doubleclicking in the your file browser to get the new song in a tab instead of replacing the project already opened))
worked fine as well and i was stunned that the inactive tabs dont seem to use resources at all.
just use another action to switch between project tabs(songs)

let me know what you think of it and if somethings unclear just ask.

now i come to my request (maybe we could get the devs to do that hack!! )
if we could have a freely window resizeable window that shows the current(where the timelinecursor stands) region name in big fat letters backgrounded by the set region color and optional underneath the name of the current marker you've got all you need for a live situation!!!

i don't think thats much of a problem to do...?

another option would be the be able to vertically resize that small bar where regions and markers are displayed so it goes from top to bottom of the screen if so desired. the font size of the given names should auto scale then. same effect. but i think version 1 is easier to implement without fucking things up.

what you guys think about the idea?

cheers,
Matt
Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dM4tt View Post
Hey fellow reaperians!

i just wanted to share how i am running reaper as guitar stomp box amp sim and fx mixing engine. it works like a charme for me except the fact that we have no big display to see where we are in the song (presets).

here's my setup:
1.just add and route anything you need like you would for a production (cut a bit on the fx maybe if you dont own a powerhorse of a laptop for the stage)
try to use as few different effects (for example delays) as possible. rather alter your favorite one through automation or an additional effect after it (bit crusher flanger over the delay or whatever)if you need a special effect.

name the region after the song (or after the preset if you want) color the region! so it stands out a bit.
create markers at every spot you have automation changes (only square automation makes sense if you dont play back during performance)

3. use actions like "go to next/previous marker" or "select next/previous region" followed by "go to start of loop"
add the desired midicontrols to your actions (i'm on a fcb1010 and for example use another action to control the master volume)
thats the setup i'm goin for right now using the same amp and fx over several songs all in one project.

before, i was using guitar rig in reaper but for each song a different project instead of regions (you can open them one after the other(must be done by doubleclicking in the your file browser to get the new song in a tab instead of replacing the project already opened))
worked fine as well and i was stunned that the inactive tabs dont seem to use resources at all.

if we could have a freely window resizeable window that shows the current(where the timelinecursor stands) region name in big fat letters backgrounded by the set region color and optional underneath the name of the current marker you've got all you need for a live situation!!!

another option would be the be able to vertically resize that small bar where regions and markers are displayed so it goes from top to bottom of the screen if so desired. the font size of the given names should auto scale then. same effect. but i think version 1 is easier to implement without fucking things up.

cheers,
Matt
Hello, Matt!
I also want to use Reaper as a guitar processor in live situation. I don`t need automation. But I don`t know how to make Reaper behaving like hardware processors. I mean those which were designed for guitarists, they all have a very convenient system of Banks and Presets. Each Bank could be a song, and Presets in every Bank - all the needed effects for that song. And it should be switched with a Midi-controller with expression pedal (for wah wah or so effect types).
Is it possible in Reaper?
And speaking about an audio interface. How should I connect the signal from a soundcard to stage boxes? Should I use Di-box (smth like Radial Jpc)? And should I connect 2 outputs (L and R) if I don`t need stereo? And if the output is only 1 ( e.g. L) should I pan all my tracks 100% L or not? And that`s all, I believe!

Last edited by 111; 09-17-2015 at 03:40 AM.
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #49
shabbyroad

Thank you for the tutorial. I'm preparing a live set (synthpop) which will have audio stems, VST synth and a video track.

So far the only challenge I've come up against is the fact that the Video Window does not "remember" that I set it to full screen on my 2nd monitor.

Workaround (so that I don't have to set the video full screen for every song) is to create a large Reaper session and move across the timeline to each song as I need it. Setup the 'full screen' once at the start and leave it set that way through the gig.
shabbyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #50
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbyroad View Post
Thank you for the tutorial. I'm preparing a live set (synthpop) which will have audio stems, VST synth and a video track.

So far the only challenge I've come up against is the fact that the Video Window does not "remember" that I set it to full screen on my 2nd monitor.

Workaround (so that I don't have to set the video full screen for every song) is to create a large Reaper session and move across the timeline to each song as I need it. Setup the 'full screen' once at the start and leave it set that way through the gig.
Hi Shabbyroad. I use the small windows and set it full screen on my second monitor (the beamer).
Old 01-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #51
godly

Quote:
Hey fellow reaperians!

here's my setup:

cheers,
Matt
Don't hesitate to put a screenshot here
Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #52
shabbyroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Hi Shabbyroad. I use the small windows and set it full screen on my second monitor (the beamer).
I wonder if you (or anyone else) has a suggestion why my second monitor (the projector) isn't displaying the video correctly?

Here's my setup:

Windows10 (64-bit) laptop (Dell XP12) running Reaper 5.12
on the laptop screen I've got the Reaper application
The video is an mpeg-4 video rendered to 1280x720
I drag the Video Window to the '2nd monitor' but when I set the video to play full screen it doesn't show full screen.
The 2nd monitor (projector) was set to 1920 x 1080 and I've also tried 1280 x 1024 and 1280 x 720

Here is how the video displays (the white image on the left is the desktop background and not the video)

When I play the video in the standalone video player that comes with Windows it will play full screen as expected.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong in my setup?

Last edited by shabbyroad; 01-27-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: ADDED INFO
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #53
shabbyroad

After much searching it looks like I found a workaround by setting both monitors to 1280 x 720

thanks to user MCF http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...87#post1629087
Old 02-27-2016, 03:41 AM   #54
shabbyroad

This week I used repare as my live gig host for stems (backing tracks) and VST soft synths along with a video track. I've setup on Win10 64-bit with completely fresh install and all best practices (wireless devices off, no scheduled scanning, power profile set never to turn off etc etc).

Just as my 2nd song starts Windows crashes to blue screen. A little embarrassing but I made a joke of it with the audience and after a minute or 2 was able to restart. I did notice a it of audio 'skipping' later in the gig but fortunately nothing as severe as a crash.

I'm puzzled as to what could have caused it. I've run the same set almost every evening for a couple of hours over the last 3 weeks with not one issue.

The only difference between my 'rehearsal' situation and the gig is that the laptop was on for maybe 5 hours straight before my set. It was playing video tracks which were being projected while a DJ did their stuff.

Could that have been the issue? The laptop wasn't 'hot' and was well ventilated in what was a reasonably cool room - the stage area definitely wasn't hot.

An engineer type at the gig said it might have been a memory leak from Reaper which over time just brought Windows crashing down?

Last edited by shabbyroad; 02-27-2016 at 04:09 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 AM   #55
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Quote:
Hey fellow reaperians!

cheers,
Matt
I think you're awesome! Number 3 on the expereapmental projects list!

Re this song opening, via fileexplorer... do you mean you have to use Win.Explorer? Is there batch-input support, so I can group-select all new songs and open them all in new tabs, in one [i]fell[i] swoop
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #56
godly

I'm making progress with this action.
Any experiences of you guys?

What I want to ask: do you guys have any clue how to clean up the snapshots? seems that they are taking up all the space and time of loading a new preset.

Some presets take way to long (talking about 5 sec or so) and that's to long on stage.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #57
otofo

I wanted to add more sound patches (new tracks w/ new VSTs) and set them up same as the existing, with snapshots, and recalling those snapshots in new rows in LC, same as the existing.

Problem is the new patches do not mute when switching to another. Everything I have checked is the same as the older patches that self-mute when switching to another.

Does adding new tracks cause the previous snapshots to not work correctly? Do I need to delete all my previous snapshots and redo them?
otofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #58
mschnell

in each "config" (=table) SWS-LiveConfig simply unmutes the selected track (only one) and mutes all those that are mentioned in that table but this one.

To unmute multiple tracks you need to use more than one config-table.

But each table needs to be assigned to listen to a dedicated CC#.

So if you want to unmute multiple tracks with a single midi message, you need to do some programming: Either create a new message (e.g. by means of a JSFX) or use the actions SWS-LiveConfigs can issue when a midi message is acknowledged.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #59
posteriori

Default bypass split fx

"Preferably you will be showing only some FX windows per song. (you probably want to hide the split FX or other)
Since SWS snapshots does not remember the floating or docked state of an FX, you can hide unused FX in the right corner. (I also have hidden my main window in the right down corner in the Live Screenset.)"

Maybe I'm missing something here...
Is it possible to bypass split fx when I switch to different config?
Sometimes when I use the same vst I do need split, sometimes I don't.
I've tried clicking bypass, saving the snapshot but it doesn't work.
I have to manually toggle the fx on and off.
I'm sure there must be a way to do it via live configs or snapshots but I'm not seeing it.
posteriori is offline   Reply With Quote