Old 12-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
14dateam
Human being with feelings

Default Complete Rookie Help

Help. I am a dad that is trying to help my 16 yr old son that wanted to start recording. For Christmas I bought him Akai MPk Mini keyboard, AT 2020 Microphone and a stand and an ATH m40X headset. He has a older M Audio Fast track interface that someone gave him. I downloaded Reaper on a HP computer that has AMD Quadcore A6-3600 processor, 6Gb DDR3 memory, AMD Radeon HD6530D graphics, 1TB hard drive. I did not know what I was doing when I downloaded so I do not remember the stings but I believe 64 bit setting.
I found a driver for the interface.
The problem is he getting he is getting no sound with the keyboard but gets a slight registration on Reaper. He gets a slight Registration from the microphone on Reaper. He gets a constant buzzing in the headphones.
Do I need to uninstall Reaper and start over? Any help is appreciated since he can't figure it out and is getting frustrated.
14dateam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Byron Dickens

Start by reviewing the doccumentation under "setting up for audio. REAPER, or any other DAW for that matter, has to know what audio device you have and which input you are using.
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 AM   #3
kneipp123

choose the audio device and midi device in preferences . maybe you need to download drivers for both.

you also need to download some virtual instruments and insert them on a track.

you can make a new folder on the desktop and put your downloaded instruments there.

right click on the grey field to the left and choose insert virtual instrument. reaper comes with 3 VSTi .

the one you may want to use later on is reasamplomatic for drum sounds. its a bit of a learning curve, but if you read tutorials and watch videos on youtube you will get it soon enough. you can stack several reasamplomatics on the same fx channel, and play different drums sounds with your keyboard. there are videos on this on youtube.

also: go into preferences and scroll down to vst and add your custom folder (where you want to put your downloaded vst) and re scan

sometimes the vst is downloaded like a dll file, and sometimes with an installer. if there is an installer you have to choose the destination. otherwise reaper will not find it.

when you have a vst installed you can play things into the timeline. then you can cut and paste the midi or audio data and move it around. you can click on the midi information and press Q to quantize it.

this was maybe a bit rambling.

another thing you can do is to download samples, and simply drag them into the timeline. either from a folder on your desktop or via reapers media eplorer. this is a lot of fun. and you can see exactly what you are doing with the sounds. you can turn the grid of the sequencer on and off. you can press ctrl and drag to duplicate one sample. if the sample is looping, and you dont want that you can right click it and turn off loop sample source in item settings.

there are a lot of tweaking and settings and stuff in reaper. but you will probably not need all of them in the beginning. but later on they will come in handy many times. so you can just kind of ignore all the text to begin. i would suggest to try to get the VSTs working, and drag some samples into the timeline as a good start. when you made a drum pattern with samples, you can duplicate it and play synth lines on top.

hope this was of some help, and not to rambling.
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
kneipp123

i think the akai mpk mini pads has midi note numbers from 36-43

if you choose insert virtual instrument on a new track, and choose a reasamplomatic

then press the blue FX button to show the iinstrument. and duplicate it by ctrl+drag it 8 times in the same track. (so they are stacked under the first one)

you can see on the right a lot of information for the samples.

choose midi note number 36 on both start and end on the first instance. then repeat this for the 7 other samplers. (36 on the first samplomatic then 37 on the next and so on)

now you can play 8 drum sounds on the pads of the mpk mini. (if i had the note numbers right)

you have to use the browse feature and insert a sample you downloaded.

you now have 8 samplers in one fx channel, where you can assign 8 drum samples. or other sounds.

you also have to check the recording button of this channel. and then press record in the transport control. there is also a metronome you can turn on and off in the top left corner of reaper.

hope it was understandable.

Last edited by kneipp123; 12-30-2017 at 03:53 AM.
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Byron Dickens

I forgot, you also have to make sure to turn phantom power on for the mike.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Byron Dickens

Hello?

Any luck?

Hello?