Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #1
JimLG
Human being with feelings

Default Dividing recording into Sub-projects or Project tabs?

Still pretty new to Reaper and need some pointers:
I’ve taken a multitrack recording of a live band, brought the tracks into Reaper and have cleaned up unnecessary parts and made some basic Eq & gain changes to make things cleaner and more consistent to the recording as a whole; now I want to break a copy of the project down into individual songs, which seems to be best done by splitting the tracks?
As I want to divide the recoded set into individual songs, but to do this I need to understand the difference between sub-projects and project tabs? I’ve watched some YouTube on creating sub projects & it basically ends up with parts in a new project Tab, Can someone give me advice on the difference between these 2 separate functions please.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JimLG; 11-08-2019 at 09:06 AM.
JimLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
suchatravesty

You could split the items and then select them and use move items to subproject, I don't remember if it also follows your time selection when you do it.
Project tabs can hold entirely different and unrelated projects, subprojects just happen to open up in new project tabs. Once you have multiple project tabs open right click on the + in the upper left corner and there are some options for subprojects in there.

I think there are some ReaperMania videos on subprojects.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
serr

You get to a point in the project where you have the project-wide stuff knocked out. Now you find yourself wanting to do unique things to individual songs - and where those individual things might change from song to song and prompt you to have to lock in previous work with automation and such. And that becomes a PITA!

That's when you start saving as individual songs so you can just grab things and not worry about settings for other songs.

You don't need to fuss around removing any of the other songs from the project when you do a 'save as'. Just ignore them and work on the song in question. We're looking to save work here... not create more!

Also, by leaving the timeline alone you give yourself the opportunity to cut/paste from other saves of the project if anything comes up.

Often with live show recordings, the project stays the whole show for convenience because you aren't doing radically unique things per song. There are always exceptions though.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
JimLG

Thanks for the advice guys, Izvestia also taken the time to read up from the user manual, I think I’ve got a clearer picture of the differences between these 2 functions now. I do have a further question regarding copying and pasting multiple tracks into new project tabs, which seems to be a reoccurring question on here, but I’ll ask that in a fresh post.
JimLG is offline   Reply With Quote